• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Ok Guys, going to Best Buy. Thinking of getting an OLED, but I can only get the B8 65 inch. Should I pull the trigger at $2088 for an B8 or just be patient and wait until spring to get the C8/E8? Whats your thoughts on this?

If we're being honest here, I feel like the differences between the B8 and C8/E8 would go entirely unnoticed by about 98% of the population and you're almost certainly never going to get a C8 for $2088 at a big box retailer. I'd have no problem diving in on a B series at that price.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Anyhow I think I've struck upon the best game SDR settings possible to find, 7 series folk.

I've painstakingly been matching my calibrated dark Isf mode to game SDR, and have settled on a really close picture.

Oddly one of the problems is that isf dark is brighter than game SDR with the exact same OLED light and contrast, initially I thought it was white point (which may be to some extent) but you can't calibrate game, it's visibly brighter which is why with the same settings isf dark looks more impactful, also uncalibrated Technicolor does too, so I upped contrast to 100 (from 96) and bumped OLED light to 70 (from 60) and now luminance wise it's a total match, colour 39, colour temp W50, gamma high 1.

Literally all colours look extremely close, with the occasional red (not all) looking slightly deeper than isf, funny thing is I tried games with lots of blood, and they actually looked better on game SDR, as it was a proper blood colour and not oversaturated, vs light pinkish on isf!???

Skin tones looks natural just like isf, vibrant games like Mega Man 11 look punchy and colourful, whilst keeping the same shades.

This is as good as it gets guys.

Even after one year, you still deliver some good settings.
I never was bothered by the banding, but with your settings, I actually could switch between two identical pictures and yeah I can see a little more banding on the PC game mode. I still find the difference way less jarring than the default wide color gamut, but with your picture setting, I can get the best of both worlds, thank you.
Could our days of switching between modes will be finally over?!

About Metadata injection, did you try the last AMDfanTO metadata, the one who'll push max luminance? I admit I surrendered to the might of a very bright picture and I'm very happy.
What's troubling me is that when I use the injection and a game has a paperwhite slider, it usually clips the square at very low nits like 400. I can't see a difference if I increase the slider further, but I wanted a more informed opinion about those sliders and metada injection.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These are my current settings for my B8 PLA.

Before using my settings, I'd just like to state that based off of testing multiple TV's of the same model, I can confirm the gamma is often quite different between sets.

I recommend opening this link below in your web browser on your PS4/Xbox One, and using my settings, but then adjusting your brightness up or down until you can literally barely see square 1, even when zoomed in. This will ensure you don't get black crush and maintain ideal shadow detail. Apply whatever brightness setting difference you get to all the other settings below.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Also, please be aware that presently Dolby Vision HDR only works through the TV Netflix app. The console Netflix app only uses regular HDR10 HDR. I'd recommend Dolby Vision over standard HDR, as the dynamic meta data allows for better overall dynamic range and results.
_________

PS4 and Xbox One OS display settings
RGB: Limited
_________

TV settings for gaming
Game preset
16:9
Energy saving: off

Oled light: 45
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 43
Tint: G7
Color temp: W45

Advanced-
All off
Preferred color: default
Gamma: Medium

Picture option-
All off
Black level: low

Oled panel settings-
Screen shift: on
Logo luminance: low

_________

TV settings for Blu Ray and general TV
ISF Dark preset

Oled light: 45
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 49
Colour: 50
Tint: 0

Expert-
All off
Color gamut: Auto
Color filter: off
Gamma: 2.2
White Balance default: Warm2

Picture options-
All off

Oled panel settings-

_________

TV settings for Netflix Dolby Vision
Cinema Home preset

Oled light: 50
Contrast: 95
Colour: 50
Tint: 0

Expert-
All off
Color gamut: Wide (locked)
Color filter: off
Gamma: 2.2

Picture options-
All off

Oled panel settings-

_________

TV settings for HDR gaming and console Netflix
Game preset (or Technicolor Expert default)

Oled light: 100
Conrrast: 90
Colour: 46
Tint: G7
Colour Temp: W45

Expert-
All off except Dynamic Tone Mapping: On
Color gamut: Wide
Gamma: Medium (locked)

Picture options-
All off

Oled panel settings-

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Got a problem that is absolutely baffling me Era.

I have my new gaming PC plugged into my 4K TV with the game setting enabled. After like 5 hours of use the image tends to become a bit choppy on occasion with the mouse cursor looking a little more stuttery and video having judder.

But if I cycle through all the viewing mode settings and return to game mode, it becomes smooth as butter again. I've tested this every time it's happened and it fixes it without fail. Not terribly annoying but just really fucking weird.

This also happened with my old PC so it clearly must be a TV-side issue.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Even after one year, you still deliver some good settings.
I never was bothered by the banding, but with your settings, I actually could switch between two identical pictures and yeah I can see a little more banding on the PC game mode. I still find the difference way less jarring than the default wide color gamut, but with your picture setting, I can get the best of both worlds, thank you.
Could our days of switching between modes will be finally over?!

About Metadata injection, did you try the last AMDfanTO metadata, the one who'll push max luminance? I admit I surrendered to the might of a very bright picture and I'm very happy.
What's troubling me is that when I use the injection and a game has a paperwhite slider, it usually clips the square at very low nits like 400. I can't see a difference if I increase the slider further, but I wanted a more informed opinion about those sliders and metada injection.

No problem at all, my banging headache from 3 hours straight testing was worth it :) initially i didn't think it was possible, as the divide seemed too much, the luminance was key, then it started to fall into place.

You're a brave man using amdfanto's metadata! That is bloody bright! My main problem with that (aside from clipping) is the colour shift that happens because the gamma curve has sky rocketed, and you'll literally have hardly any room for movement when tweaking, like you are finding, that metadata is brighter than active HDR remember lol.

Ideally you shouldn't need injection when a game has working in game sliders, but what I tend to do if i use injection is to leave paper white in the middle, apply Gatsby, then adjust the luminance slider till it disappears, DMC 5 looked stunning doing it that way, as I wasn't sure it was working properly.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing I'm most surprised by with the OLED is that a lot of SDR content can almost look like HDR at times because of the perfect blacks. We're watching Muppet Christmas Carol tonight and even just on a Vudu stream it looks excellent.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Anyhow I think I've struck upon the best game SDR settings possible to find, 7 series folk.

I've painstakingly been matching my calibrated dark Isf mode to game SDR, and have settled on a really close picture.

Oddly one of the problems is that isf dark is brighter than game SDR with the exact same OLED light and contrast, initially I thought it was white point (which may be to some extent) but you can't calibrate game, it's visibly brighter which is why with the same settings isf dark looks more impactful, also uncalibrated Technicolor does too, so I upped contrast to 100 (from 96) and bumped OLED light to 70 (from 60) and now luminance wise it's a total match, colour 39, colour temp W50, gamma high 1.

Literally all colours look extremely close, with the occasional red (not all) looking slightly deeper than isf, funny thing is I tried games with lots of blood, and they actually looked better on game SDR, as it was a proper blood colour and not oversaturated, vs light pinkish on isf!???

Skin tones looks natural just like isf, vibrant games like Mega Man 11 look punchy and colourful, whilst keeping the same shades.

Thank you so much for this. I would be lying if I said I could tell the difference between pc/isf and non-pc/game with your settings. I think I can finally say with near certainty that I won't be changing inputs/settings anymore and I'm very happy about that. Just one question, what did you set sharpness to? It defaulted to 10 so I just left it like that.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Bout to punch these settings in, but just to ask; Were you not able to get anything good with CMS settings? I was testing with Color 40 last night (so only one point above yours) and I was finding Reds and Blue/Cyan colors especially different. I was using this screenshot from Maximilian Dood's stream of Blackout as I was watching it at the time and found it to have a a lot of colors.

Y2boDzT.jpg

Anyways, thanks for your hard work. Gonna dial these settings in now.

EDIT: You upped OLED light 10 points, so if I was using 40 I should now set it to 50? Furthermore, you said to use High1, which is 2.4. I've always used Medium (2.2) as my standard Gamma. Should I still up to High1 (2.4) or even High2(BT.1886)?

Last edited:

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So I am confused. Best Buy gave me store credit for my 4k TV due to warranty. So I buy a new TV and I have to pay them extra $$$ to haul the old TV away. Here my thoughts: TV works perfectly fine(and its a damn good one), just all of the streaming apps are not working. I can fix this with Nvidia Shield. Why would I pay them to haul my old tv away? Can I just keep the old TV then? Anybody had this issue before?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I am confused. Best Buy gave me store credit for my 4k TV due to warranty. So I buy a new TV and I have to pay them extra $$$ to haul the old TV away. Here my thoughts: TV works perfectly fine(and its a damn good one), just all of the streaming apps are not working. I can fix this with Nvidia Shield. Why would I pay them to haul my old tv away? Can I just keep the old TV then? Anybody had this issue before?

recycling/service charge fee. you don't have to let them haul away the tv if you don't want to. pretty standard practice for stores with home appliances and stuff.

Oct 31, 2017
Help ERA.

I can get a C8 65 for $2200.

Have a ZT60 65'' and wonder if the motion will bother me for movies.

If only I could buy Panasonic OLED in USA.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the new 2018 55" video beat out the TCL 55"? Have about $700 and need to get a tv in a few weeks.

I'll be using it in a 13' x 13' room. Is 55" too big for that space? Hmmm decisions decisions.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Help ERA.

I can get a C8 65 for $2200.

Have a ZT60 65'' and wonder if the motion will bother me for movies.

If only I could buy Panasonic OLED in USA.
depends on the person. I had a 65ZT60 in bedroom for a few years. Just got rid of it and replaced it with 65" E6 and put a 77" C8 in the living room.

Motion is noticeable for sure. How much it will bother you only you can tell by going to see one.

Motion on all plasmas I've owned trounce OLED all day. Both 500M and ZT60 were head and shoulders above any OLEDs I've owned which have been 2 EF9500's and which I still own being E6, C8, and A9F. The closest you'll get to motion you're looking for is A9F. The motion on it is better than the LG's but still not as good as a ZT60 or 500M of course this is just my opinion but this has been my experience.

With all this being said it's not awful and I'm used to it but it is noticeable.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is almost constantly either light or dark grey isn't it? Oh boy I fear how that's gonna look on my Q9FN that clearly shows banding in cave areas in Hellblade and in dark grey areas in Battlefield 5. I don't notice banding and the green tinge in many other colors, maybe a little but when it's dark grey.....hoo boy.

Why didn't you return your set in the end? It's a lot of money to spend on a TV you aren't happy with to the extent that you aren't looking forward to certain games.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
XF90 owners is there a big difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10? How satisfied are you with the Android OS?
I have a good price for the 55" model should I buy it?

Deleted member 13250

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XF90 owners is there a big difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10? How satisfied are you with the Android OS?
I have a good price for the 55" model should I buy it?
for me the difference on this set between DV and HDR10 is noticeable but they're different. DV is slightly dimmer but I'm guessing it's supposed to look more natural? Never had an issue with the OS I'm actually about to return my 49 to pick up the 55 inch... I have different issues with this tv but none that are dealbreakers.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
for me the difference on this set between DV and HDR10 is noticeable but they're different. DV is slightly dimmer but I'm guessing it's supposed to look more natural? Never had an issue with the OS I'm actually about to return my 49 to pick up the 55 inch... I have different issues with this tv but none that are dealbreakers.
Thanks. Do you have HDR on YouTube?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you so much for this. I would be lying if I said I could tell the difference between pc/isf and non-pc/game with your settings. I think I can finally say with near certainty that I won't be changing inputs/settings anymore and I'm very happy about that. Just one question, what did you set sharpness to? It defaulted to 10 so I just left it like that.

I use 15 sharpness, but it's quite subtle on these TV's, as long as you're at least 10, it'll be fine, and yeah I'm really happy with how it looks.

Bout to punch these settings in, but just to ask; Were you not able to get anything good with CMS settings? I was testing with Color 40 last night (so only one point above yours) and I was finding Reds and Blue/Cyan colors especially different. I was using this screenshot from Maximilian Dood's stream of Blackout as I was watching it at the time and found it to have a a lot of colors.

Y2boDzT.jpg

Anyways, thanks for your hard work. Gonna dial these settings in now.

EDIT: You upped OLED light 10 points, so if I was using 40 I should now set it to 50? Furthermore, you said to use High1, which is 2.4. I've always used Medium (2.2) as my standard Gamma. Should I still up to High1 (2.4) or even High2(BT.1886)?

Yeah up it by 10, I'd stick to high 1 or 2 as medium will change things, but I'm sure med would be ok for a light room, but for dark room 1 or 2 will give you the best contrasty pic with more pop.

I mean from all the games I tested, it's so close that whatever may be slightly different really won't matter, as anything needed for realistic tones etc are there, and looks the same as lsf, nothing will make you think it's wrong, it has that amazing OLED look with vibrant colours, and like I said for reds that are deeper (only by a bit) it looks better.

Ashen was a good one to test with its subtle pastel hues, and it really looks identical, also the Xbox games and apps screen was great to test, with all those different tiles and colours etc.

After what I saw on PC mode in that opening scene, a very slight change in the odd tone that I won't notice, has to be better than bands, blocks and shit moving around the screen.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
depends on the person. I had a 65ZT60 in bedroom for a few years. Just got rid of it and replaced it with 65" E6 and put a 77" C8 in the living room.

Motion is noticeable for sure. How much it will bother you only you can tell by going to see one.

Motion on all plasmas I've owned trounce OLED all day. Both 500M and ZT60 were head and shoulders above any OLEDs I've owned which have been 2 EF9500's and which I still own being E6, C8, and A9F. The closest you'll get to motion you're looking for is A9F. The motion on it is better than the LG's but still not as good as a ZT60 or 500M of course this is just my opinion but this has been my experience.

With all this being said it's not awful and I'm used to it but it is noticeable.

Thanks for the input.

I'm actually thinking of 77 inch model also.

What's your opinion on that one, since you own it?

I have a 4K LG LED and believe my ZT 1080P blows it away.

Any lip sync issues on OLED?

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
My TV (LG SJ800v) got a new update this morning, no idea what it does, but hopefully it fixes the Dolby Vision brightening problem on Netflix....

It's on 05.80.10 btw

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't you return your set in the end? It's a lot of money to spend on a TV you aren't happy with to the extent that you aren't looking forward to certain games.

I was planning on calling the store Monday but then my Xbox One X died and I had to go back to the store. But more importantly, I talked to a lot of people on AVS and none of them have a perfect panel. Most of them have banding as well, with some cases being extremely bad and mine is fine compared to that. So far the banding is noticeable on certain dark grey test patterns (mostly on one certain dark grey pattern it's noticeable and on the others barely and in some games like the cave area in Hellblade, Far Harbor from Fallout 4 when I look into the sky. But with many other games I don't see it at all.

Then comes the sharpness problem, it seems to depend on what game it is. I see it in Far Cry 5 and Battlefield 5 and solely on the foliage. I had this effect on my B6 OLED two years ago as well in Fallout 4 and I had to turn down the sharpness significantly. So now it seems it doesn't have to do with HDR after all.

And let's say I return the TV, I've heard from people who ordered the TV there recently that the TV is out of stock right now at the store and that he has to wait weeks until he gets his TV. So I wouldn't even get a new one right away. My guess is they would send Samsung repair service over. But without an Xbox to show those issues.....

All this is making me really reluctant to put this huge ass TV back in the box and having it sent back. I don't see anything during movies or shows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hi All, Dinjooh and GearDraxon are very graciously helping me with some aesthetic changes to the OP (thank you guys).

With that, I would like to refresh / update the content as we get closer to CES 2019. If anyone has any ideas, graphics, links, etc (even posts that I should threadmark - which is an amazing feature), please let me know ASAP.

tiku

Oct 26, 2017
Hello mates! :D

I have one question (and many doubts) about my next TV :)

I'm looking for a 55-inch 4K TV with a good HDR. I've been looking for it, reading a lot and the result is I've got two candidates: Samsung Q9FN and LG B8.

I must emphasize in the HDR aspect: I'm coming from a KS800 with a really good HDR and I'm looking for something better, and here is where my biggest concern is. LG B8 is a super display, but I see that its HDR brightness peaks (or nits) are way lower than Samsung Q9FN.

That said, I really like Q9FN, but is more expensive that the B8 (about $600). My body is saying me "buy the Samsung one", because it has more brightness, and I like that point because of the HDR, but... B8 is cheaper but I don't now if I will regret buying a TV with similar HDR specs than my KS8000.

Considering my point, would you go for the Q9FN and its gorgeous brightness/HDR, or the LG B8 is just enough for my and my requirements and pocket?

By the way, here you can see a rtings comparison between the two models:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q9fn-vs-lg-b8/599/647?usage=4854&threshold=0.1

And here the extract from the HDR evaluation of each model:

LG B8:

HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness
: 591 cd/m²
HDR Peak 2% Window
: 778 cd/m²
HDR Peak 10% Window
: 759 cd/m²
HDR Peak 25% Window
: 478 cd/m²
HDR Peak 50% Window
: 314 cd/m²
HDR Peak 100% Window
: 155 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 2% Window
: 730 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 10% Window
: 706 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 25% Window
: 466 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 50% Window
: 310 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 100% Window
: 153 cd/m²
HDR ABL
: 0.095

The HDR peak brightness is decent. This is worse than the C8 model which gets about 100 nits brighter in our real scene test pattern. Part of this may be due to panel variance, and part of it may be due to an algorithm change with a firmware update. We will retest our C8 to see if the brightness behavior has changed. Although the TV can display small highlights well, as larger areas of the screen are lit the level of the brightness diminishes due to the Automatic Bright Limiter (ABL) and this is not good. The LG B8 can't get as bright as high-end LED TVs like the Sony X900F or QLED Samsung Q8FN that have excellent HDR brightness.

Samsung Q9FN

HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness
: 908 cd/m²
HDR Peak 2% Window
: 1695 cd/m²
HDR Peak 10% Window
: 1763 cd/m²
HDR Peak 25% Window
: 1057 cd/m²
HDR Peak 50% Window
: 812 cd/m²
HDR Peak 100% Window
: 678 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 2% Window
: 1677 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 10% Window
: 1727 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 25% Window
: 1052 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 50% Window
: 812 cd/m²
HDR Sustained 100% Window
: 677 cd/m²
HDR ABL
: 0.054

Excellent peak brightness in HDR. The Samsung Q9F is one of the brightest TVs we have tested. The TV's local dimming is very effective at producing extremely bright small highlights in dark scenes as shown by the 2% and 10% window brightness.

The Z9D, X930E and X940E are brighter in our real scene test, but small highlights on test patterns are not as bright as the Q9FN.

With the 'Dynamic' picture mode displaying our 10% window, the Q9FN is able to briefly (<5s) spike the brightness as high as 3392 cd/m², the highest brightness level we have ever measured.

Thanks, thanks and thanks a lot for your time and for your opinions in advance, mates :)

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017

I'm looking for a 55-inch 4K TV with a good HDR. I've been looking for it, reading a lot and the result is I've got two candidates: Samsung Q9FN and LG B8.

I must emphasize in the HDR aspect: I'm coming from a KS800 with a really good HDR and I'm looking for something better, and here is where my biggest concern is. LG B8 is a super display, but I see that its HDR brightness peaks (or nits) are way lower than Samsung Q9FN.

That said, I really like Q9FN, but is more expensive that the B8 (about $600). My body is saying me "buy the Samsung one", because it has more brightness, and I like that point because of the HDR, but... B8 is cheaper but I don't now if I will regret buying a TV with similar HDR specs than my KS8000.

Considering my point, would you go for the Q9FN and its gorgeous brightness/HDR, or the LG B8 is just enough for my and my requirements and pocket?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q9fn-vs-lg-b8/599/647?usage=4854&threshold=0.1

LG B8:

Samsung Q9FN

Thanks, thanks and thanks a lot for your time and for your opinions in advance, mates :)

I just went from a KS8500 to an LG C8 and I'm blown away by the HDR effect on OLED compared to the LED.

The one thing I'll say is that the OLED absolutely doesn't get as bright with SDR content as the KS8000/8500. If you're in a really bright room and are used to having your KS8000 up at or near max brightness for SDR content, you might be a little disappointed. If you have your backlight set to around 50% on your KS8000 for SDR, you'll be fine with the OLED when you set the backlight to around 80% I'd say.

If you're primarily worried about HDR, LG's OLEDs are top notch, IMO. Yes, the Samsungs can get brighter, but you sacrifice contrast in dark scenes for that brightness. OLEDs can still handle bright scenes well and they excel in HDR.

If you're buying from a store that offers returns without a re-stock fee (like Best Buy), I'd start with the cheaper OLED and see if it meets your needs!

Jan 1, 2018
Madrid
I bought a new 55" LG C7 in October, and I never thought of upgrading it after reading the problems with HDR Game Mode.

Right now it's on version 4.70.85, should I update it? Any benefits?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Hi All, Dinjooh and GearDraxon are very graciously helping me with some aesthetic changes to the OP (thank you guys).

With that, I would like to refresh / update the content as we get closer to CES 2019. If anyone has any ideas, graphics, links, etc (even posts that I should threadmark - which is an amazing feature), please let me know ASAP.

Movie and TV show reference material needs to be updated, Daredevil shouldn't even be on there at all.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LG B8:

Samsung Q9FN

Perfect blacks and contrast will make bright HDR highlights appear brighter on any OLED than a TV with over 2000 nits. So the gorgeous HDR will also be on the B8!

You just can't compare OLED nits with LCD nits. There is a reason OLEDs win the HDR section of the TV shootouts experts do every year. LCDs can rarely do their peak nits anyway because it would mean crushing details around the bright areas, so those test slides used to measure peak brightness are extremely misleading to what the TV will actually show in normal content. Rtings themselves kind of confirm with with the way they weigh their HDR scores. Even with such a large difference in nits they still scored the B8 (9.0) higher for HDR movies than the Q9FN (8.7) in their own comparison.

I don't have experience with the B8, but I do have the C8 and HDR can feel too bright at times, and feels way brighter than the previous TV I had (Sony X900F) while technically having a lower nit count.

The B8 will look significantly brighter than your KS8000 in HDR.

Only reason to go LCD is if you're concerned with burn in or if you will use the TV in a room that will be super bright all the time. The LCD can blow up the whole screen with backlight brightness to compete with any strong background brightness in the room even in SDR, but with the downside that the picture becomes way less accurate with the backlight blown up like that.

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone in here use an oled as a computer monitor? If so, any issues? I'm starting to get the 4K bug again but am so indecisive on what I want. Plus I need to upgrade my Onkyo receiver to allow 4K and HDR so that's another expense.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I use 15 sharpness, but it's quite subtle on these TV's, as long as you're at least 10, it'll be fine, and yeah I'm really happy with how it looks.

Yeah up it by 10, I'd stick to high 1 or 2 as medium will change things, but I'm sure med would be ok for a light room, but for dark room 1 or 2 will give you the best contrasty pic with more pop.

I mean from all the games I tested, it's so close that whatever may be slightly different really won't matter, as anything needed for realistic tones etc are there, and looks the same as lsf, nothing will make you think it's wrong, it has that amazing OLED look with vibrant colours, and like I said for reds that are deeper (only by a bit) it looks better.

Ashen was a good one to test with its subtle pastel hues, and it really looks identical, also the Xbox games and apps screen was great to test, with all those different tiles and colours etc.

After what I saw on PC mode in that opening scene, a very slight change in the odd tone that I won't notice, has to be better than bands, blocks and shit moving around the screen.
I have the TV in a room with a dim light. Reason I use Medium is because I notice black crush in media that doesn't allow you to adjust brightness (film, tv, twitch, youtube, certain games usually older ones) with 2.4/High1 and BT.1886/High2.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone in here use an oled as a computer monitor? If so, any issues? I'm starting to get the 4K bug again but am so indecisive on what I want. Plus I need to upgrade my Onkyo receiver to allow 4K and HDR so that's another expense.

In my experience if you only use it for gaming an OLED is fine with a PC. If you want to use it for other purposes i'd reconsider.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone play Battlefield regularly on an OLED? Any concern with image retention or burn-in? Looking to get an A9F or 2019 LG early next year.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone play Battlefield regularly on an OLED? Any concern with image retention or burn-in? Looking to get an A9F or 2019 LG early next year.

I've played loads of 1 and V, no problem so far, I just don't worry about it! 5 years I did the same on a Kuro, not a single hint of burn in.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Hi! Got redirected here from another thread in regards to buying a new 4k tv. I'm looking at 3 particular TYPES of 4k tv- OLED. QLED and LG's Super UHD. It'll be used 90% of the time for gaming and 4k blu ray viewing, and 10% of the time for PC usage.
Any suggestions? I'm in Australia by the way...

If your budget allows, it's OLED or bust.

Either the LG C8 or Panasonic FZ950U are the ones to check out. 55" will be around $2500 at the moment from the likes of JB. They both dropped to $2k during Black Friday, so could drop again in the Boxing Day sales.

I've got an FZ950, and it's the best TV I've ever owned. Magnificent in every way. QLED might have higher brightness but they're still LCD, so have all the inherent issues related to that tech.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Thanks for the input.

I'm actually thinking of 77 inch model also.

What's your opinion on that one, since you own it?

I have a 4K LG LED and believe my ZT 1080P blows it away.

Any lip sync issues on OLED?

It's great the I love it. Perfect size for my distance (approx 10 feet).

It's unforgiving though on low quality content and the size make it that much more noticeable. On quality content picture is outstanding. Better uniformity and no hint of tinting. has the cleanest pure white I have had on any of my OLEDS besides the A9F. The power supply can make some noise on various APL but it's not loud. I can only hear it if I mute it and it's quite.

Lip Sync issues I cannot really comment on as I do not use the TV internal speakers. The only time I encountered it was on the UHD bluray Wonder and 1 other cannot recall which it was but I corrected that through the Oppo, or Anthem AVR cannot remember which

Last edited:

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018
If your budget allows, it's OLED or bust.

Either the LG C8 or Panasonic FZ950U are the ones to check out. 55" will be around $2500 at the moment from the likes of JB. They both dropped to $2k during Black Friday, so could drop again in the Boxing Day sales.

I've got an FZ950, and it's the best TV I've ever owned. Magnificent in every way. QLED might have higher brightness but they're still LCD, so have all the inherent issues related to that tech.

The LG OLED was what I was looking for. No issues with burn in? Only thing i'm scared of with OLED...

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

- Update credit card price protection that has changed with multiple cards. Some do not offer it anymore some reduced the claim amount
- Add reference material used to test various aspects of display. Such as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 with time stamps Ex. there are 2 scenes in there perfect for testing shadow detail and if you are crushing it
- Links to Masicor UHD test patterns, AVS709, etc

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
- Update credit card price protection that has changed with multiple cards. Some do not offer it anymore some reduced the claim amount
- Add reference material used to test various aspects of display. Such as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 with time stamps Ex. there are 2 scenes in there perfect for testing shadow detail and if you are crushing it
- Links to Masicor UHD test patterns, AVS709, etc

Can you help with those links (and / or the time stamps that you've seen)? thanks bud.

I'm actually going to remove the price protection stuff as it's not the intent of this thread.