grang

Nov 13, 2017
Okay wooooah. A movie just finished on Showtime and an ad for the new season of The Affair came on. Will spoiler tag in case anyone is actively watching/catching up

So I stopped after the first season even though I liked it, just didn't continue but always wanted to catch up. So now I see this ad and it's like a flash forward / flash back show now, with the mother having killed herself and the daughter still dealing with it as an adult? I dunno why but that makes me more interested in catching up and quicker. Is it worth a quick binge to catch at least some of this season live do you think?

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Okay wooooah. A movie just finished on Showtime and an ad for the new season of The Affair came on. Will spoiler tag in case anyone is actively watching/catching up

So I stopped after the first season even though I liked it, just didn't continue but always wanted to catch up. So now I see this ad and it's like a flash forward / flash back show now, with the mother having killed herself and the daughter still dealing with it as an adult? I dunno why but that makes me more interested in catching up and quicker. Is it worth a quick binge to catch at least some of this season live do you think?
It's excellent, still one of my favorite shows. If you liked the first season then season 2 is just as good, season 3 is the weakest but I still found it enjoyable and season 4 was a return to form. I'm very curious to see how they end things in season 5.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

It's not some incredible must watch show, but it is solid. Every season has some kind of unnecessary mystery hook because the showrunner never trusted the audience to stick with a plain ol' drama about an affair, but they're the weakest part of the show. The interpersonal drama and singular character moments are the real reason to watch, so I'm hoping the final season doesn't spend too much time on the mystery aspect.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

she didn't kill herself. she was very likely murdered. pretty sure this season is going to be about figuring that out

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It's not some incredible must watch show, but it is solid. Every season has some kind of unnecessary mystery hook because the showrunner never trusted the audience to stick with a plain ol' drama about an affair, but they're the weakest part of the show. The interpersonal drama and singular character moments are the real reason to watch, so I'm hoping the final season doesn't spend too much time on the mystery aspect.

I loved Brendan Fraser's season but apparently no one else did.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
The Affair is one of those shows where I think the acting is really well done, but I hate the overarching plot which makes the whole thing a bit of a slog.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
3 episodes deep into Wu Assassins. Some general thoughts

The budget is definitely B-Movie status. You can tell the production isn't as high as say Into the Badlands or Warrior was. The modern settings look solid, but whenever they dive into the mystical stuff, the CGI is pretty bad . Some of the transitions into that aspect are clunky as well, with the dialogue being iffy . They could have done a version of the series leaving all the mystical stuff out and just kept it grounded, but maybe they wanted to add it in there for story purposes .

Yet, if you have expectations set for this being a fun B-movie style action series, I think you will be entertained . Silat is a great martial art for brutality, they have thrown in some comedic action scenes as well. Nothing has blown me away yet, but I'm only 3 episodes deep.

It's cool seeing Lagertha from Vikings in a modern setting as well.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Finally got around to watching season 5 of arrested development. After a slow start, it's started to get its hooks into me with some laugh out loud moments, particularly anything to do with Ron Howard. The pace of jokes is much slower than the first three seasons though.

The Boys was fantastic.

I have plans to binge the new seasons of Glow and Mindhunter.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Just watched Psycho-Pass. Excellent show, highly recommended.

Currrently am watching Breaking Bad, am on Season 4. I just binged season 3 within the past 2 days. Goddamn, is it addicting.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Showtime Offers Free Online Episodes Of 'On Becoming A God In Central Florida'
Showtime is offering a two-episode free sampling of its upcoming series On Becoming A God In Central Florida on both YouTube and SHO.com. The first two episodes of the 10-episode series are posted now, in full, online.

The series, starring Kirsten Dunst, officially premieres Sunday, August 25, 10 p.m. ET/PT on Showtime. Set in a small Orlando-adjacent town in 1992, the series is a story about the cult of free enterprise and one women's relentless pursuit of the American Dream.

The sample episodes are also available across multiple cable, satellite, telco and streaming TV provider websites, apps and free on demand channels, and are available for free at http://www.showtime.com.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished up Wu Assassins on Netflix. In a lot of ways it reminded me of a throwback 90s show, but with the action at a higher level. The acting is mostly just ok, with some performances being better than others. The action is good, but not mind-blowing like watching something like The Raid was. Also thought Into the Badlands had a bit more creativity in some of their big fights (also that show was more weapon based).

Wasn't really feeling the fantasy element at first, but it grew on me over the course of the series and the CGI gets better in spots. I enjoyed the core cast and would be curious to see what they would do in Season 2. Overall pretty entertaining, and I'm just glad this year has been a nice selection of martial arts series with Into The Badlands concluding, Warrior on Cinemax, and now Wu Assassins.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person on ERA watching Our Boys on HBO?

The first episode was a little slow, but episodes two and three are excellent.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Am I the only person on ERA watching Our Boys on HBO?

The first episode was a little slow, but episodes two and three are excellent.
I plan to. The concept sounds interesting. I usually like to let a few eps pile up so I can watch the season without long gaps. Anyway, there was a free Cinemax weekend a few days ago and they showed the entire seasons of Warrior and Jett, so those are in the viewing pile first. I'm really liking Warrior so far, 3 episodes in.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

The streaming giant has announced — via a Fyre Festival-spoofing video, above — a Thursday, Sept. 12 release date for The I-Land, a seven-episode series in which 10 people wake up on a treacherous island with no memory of who they are or how they got there. As the group sets off on a trek to try to get back home, they soon discover this world is not as it seems.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching Barry and binged both seasons this week. Holy shit - what a show.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Finished Cannon Busters on Netlix. Overall, pretty entertaining anime. I liked the character designs and color palette, even if the story didn't blow me away. I would watch a Season 2 if it got renewed.

About to dive into GLOW Season 3

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes last night - it definitely has some Fleabag DNA but I also recognized some Catastrophe in there as well (especially given Horgan's involvement). It's not as good as either of those shows, but I still enjoyed it.
Cool! Thanks for the review. I'll add it to the queue.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Goliath's third season arrives on October 4th!

Youtube trailer, for those who can't see Twitter:

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The final episode of Baskets was tonight - I was afraid that it wouldn't work as a series finale due to FX seemingly having cancelled the show without giving the writers proper notice, but I actually thought it worked really well (and I suspect that it was, in fact, written as the series finale given that pretty much every character got closure in some form or another).
Chip's friends and family dragging him away from his life coach, whom they assumed was a cult leader even though in reality she was actually helping him grow and be a better person, was an amazingly dark joke to end the series on.

What a fantastic show that was - easily one of the best of the last few years.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
The final episode of Baskets was tonight - I was afraid that it wouldn't work as a series finale due to FX seemingly having cancelled the show without giving the writers proper notice, but I actually thought it worked really well (and I suspect that it was, in fact, written as the series finale given that pretty much every character got closure in some form or another).
Chip's friends and family dragging him away from his life coach, whom they assumed was a cult leader even though in reality she was actually helping him grow and be a better person, was an amazingly dark joke to end the series on.

What a fantastic show that was - easily one of the best of the last few years.
Yeah, that was a phenomenal episode that was obviously a series finale. There is no need for the show to continue after it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I got around to trying HBO's Our Boys. I did not like it at all and turned it off after 20 minutes. Usually I'd give a new show a longer chance, but after reading reviews and the back story it's not for me. I thought it would largely be about the investigation to find the 3 missing teenagers. Instead, the first 15 minutes covered the two weeks after the kidnappings at light speed, and much of that time was on crowd shots of people praying in a packed city square, over and over again, and there's still 9 hours 45 minutes to go? The whole thing is subtitled too. That's not a deal breaker, I loved Dark and plenty of other foreign shows, not this one though.

Hulu's Four Weddings and a Funeral is good. It's loosely based on the movie premise, i.e. a group of 20 something year olds finding love, breaking up, and so on. It's an enjoyable light hearted rom-com with a nice backdrop of London. The main lead is the actress who played Missandei in Game of Thrones, and she's very strong here. It's very reminiscent of things like Four Weddings, Love Actually, etc. which isn't surprising since the writer of those, Richard Curtis, is the Executive Producer here.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I got around to trying HBO's Our Boys. I did not like it at all and turned it off after 20 minutes. Usually I'd give a new show a longer chance, but after reading reviews and the back story it's not for me. I thought it would largely be about the investigation to find the 3 missing teenagers. Instead, the first 15 minutes covered the two weeks after the kidnappings at light speed, and much of that time was on crowd shots of people praying in a packed city square, over and over again, and there's still 9 hours 45 minutes to go? The whole thing is subtitled too. That's not a deal breaker, I loved Dark and plenty of other foreign shows, not this one though.

That's sort of an odd complaint. The first episode is meant to introduce us to the atmosphere and mood of the countries following the kidnapping and murder of the 3 boys, the subsequent culture clashes, and the tensions and anger that results in the kidnapping of the other boy at the end of the episode. Episodes 2 and 3 are more granularly focused on the investigation of that kidnapping/murder and the effects the whole thing has on his family.

The entire series isn't just the first 15 minutes of episode 1 on repeat for 10 hours lol

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That's sort of an odd complaint. The first episode is meant to introduce us to the atmosphere and mood of the countries following the kidnapping and murder of the 3 boys, the subsequent culture clashes, and the tensions and anger that results in the kidnapping of the other boy at the end of the episode. Episodes 2 and 3 are more granularly focused on the investigation of that kidnapping/murder and the effects the whole thing has on his family.

The entire series isn't just the first 15 minutes of episode 1 on repeat for 10 hours lol
I never suggested the entire series was the first 15 minutes repeated. At all. I don't know how you could get that interpretation. What I said was I thought the series would largely focus on that investigation period, and it does not.

If you're enjoying it, great. For me, the style + missed expectations + subtitles + reviews (many mentions of slow pacing) = pass.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I never suggested the entire series was the first 15 minutes repeated. At all. I don't know how you could get that interpretation.

"Instead, the first 15 minutes covered the two weeks after the kidnappings at light speed, and much of that time was on crowd shots of people praying in a packed city square, over and over again, and there's still 9 hours 45 minutes to go?"

🤔 I guess I was sort of confused by your post so for some reason I read the above as you suggesting that the rest of the series would move at light speed the entire time, with fast cuts of people on the news talking and whatnot, even though it's really quite meticulous and measured in its pacing. (It's actually a fairly conventional missing persons/murder drama - it reminds me a bit of The Killing actually - just one executed at a high level.)