• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
No shit.
If your fav is a streamer, and hasn't had something like this come out about them yet, start building mental distance now. This shit is endemic.

And if your fav has had something like this come out about them and you're still out there stanning just fuckin' delete your account lmao.
Vinesauce is pure and holy. He's the one Twitch streamer I'm invested in, amongst a sea of shitbags.

I'd be honestly shocked if something horrible came out about him.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
No shit.

Vinesauce is pure and holy. He's the one Twitch streamer I'm invested in, amongst a sea of shitbags.

Same with Jerma, who's the only streamer I really watch on a regular basis. It's just nice weird wholesome fun imo.

Oct 28, 2017
No shit.

Vinesauce as in Vinny? Because if you're talking about Joel...

http://letsplaysocialjustice.tumblr...bout-the-vinesauce-anon-vinny-is-fine-he-said

Vinny is fine, he said some ableist stuff in the past but he apologized. Joel is sorry for the racist slurs he used but he said he doesnt like sjw, supports Jontron and will continue to say the f-word and the r-word.

:(

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the self-proclaimed not-racists/homophobes/bigots who feel the need to make themselves look like racists/homophobes/bigots. Just don't use those words? It's not difficult. What is wrong with you?

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
This is sorta what happens when you bring a platform to people who are completely unaware and untrained re: media ethics. When they get pushed on their "slip-ups" and so forth, the simple and easy thing is to apologize and attempt to move on, but so many of them try to justify their actions a la Roseanne. It's a bit childish of them, but I guess it's to be expected from people who make money by playing video games all day.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
Not downplaying anything. The guy I wasandwering to alluded to it being linked to western civilization. Its is not. It's a human problem.
It's deflection point blank. The gymnastics people will go to flip something never astounds me. Especially when this issue being discussed is taking place on a western platform. Again, part of the reason these issues will remain what they are. The lack of accountability.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
It's just hilarious how much he's pandering to his alt-right crowd, "I'm not one of you" as if we ever considered you a progressive. But you're too scared that the couple of dollars a day you get from edgy donators might be lost if they think if you're part of the official SJW™ cabal.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's just hilarious how much he's pandering to his alt-right crowd, "I'm not one of you" as if we ever considered you a progressive. But you're too scared that the couple of dollars a day you get from edgy donators might be lost if they think if you're part of the official SJW™ cabal.

Are you talking about Destiny...? If so it would be pretty funny if you think he harbors an "alt-right" crowd, all he does is shit talk these people and is always criticized for being an "SJW".

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
You talking about Destiny? His crowd isn't alt-right. I don't think he's pandering, I think he's just always been a super edgelord who can't moderate his speech for shit.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Are you talking about Destiny...? If so it would be pretty funny if you think he harbors an "alt-right" crowd, all he does is shit talk these people and is always criticized for being an "SJW".

His community definitely overlaps with the alt-righters you'd find on twitch, they might not be the extremist alt-righters that you're thinking of but they definitely still belong to the alt-right.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His community definitely overlaps with the alt-righters you'd find on twitch, they might not be the extremist alt-righters that you're thinking of but they definitely still belong to the alt-right.
Based on what though? His own community seems to be largely opposed to Destiny's slur stance. His community is certainly more left than he is.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
In debates against alt-right people the chat always seems like they're constantly mocking Destiny's opponent. Same with Youtube comments.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what though? His own community seems to be largely opposed to Destiny's slur stance. His community is certainly more left than he is.

Admittedly I don't watch his streams, it's based on his presence on /r/livestreamfail where he's very popular amongst the racists, sexists and homophobes of that subreddit. They like him despite his SJW™ views.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly I don't watch his streams, it's based on his presence on /r/livestreamfail where he's very popular amongst the racists, sexists and homophobes of that subreddit. They like him despite his SJW™ views.
LSF is a cesspool. He rarely makes it to the front page of it for his political views. Destiny's community is most certainly more left than he is and I believe he said so himself.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
LSF is a cesspool. He rarely makes it to the front page of it for his political views. Destiny's community is most certainly more left than he is and I believe he said so himself.

He makes the frontpage so much they have a flair for his videos. Anyway, they might not be the majority but they're a very sizable crowd that drive a lot of views with their subreddit. Pandering to them with the the whole "I'm not with you" bit seems like a disingenuous business decision.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who his community is, but his subreddit is saying this thread is cancer, the left equivalent of the alt-right, and that it's full of shitty SJWs, so *shrug*.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you see even a small percentage of his youtube videos the claim he's pandering to the alt-right is absurd. I mean just look at some of what was posted in this thread

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
If you see even a small percentage of his youtube videos the claim he's pandering to the alt-right is absurd.

Again, his own statement here contradicts whatever video you might pull up. He is defending his use of words like F***** and N***** derogatorily because he somehow is not a racist, because he doesn't allow "actual racists" to flourish in his community. Intent means a lot I guess I can give him that, but even he admits that his intent was to use racist language derogatorily.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who his community is, but his subreddit is saying this thread is cancer, the left equivalent of the alt-right, and that it's full of shitty SJWs, so *shrug*.

The highest rated comments are calling him out on his bullshit so this isn't true.

He makes the frontpage so much they have a flair for his videos. Anyway, they might not be the majority but they're a very sizable crowd that drive a lot of views with their subreddit. Pandering to them with the the whole "I'm not with you" bit seems like a disingenuous business decision.

No, they really aren't. If he wanted to make a "business decision" he would about face and become an alt right darling overnight and rake in the Patreon dollars. If anything he has more in common with anti-fa than he does the alt-right (he thinks violence against people who push for white nationalist ideas like ethno-states is morally justifiable):

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, his own statement here contradicts whatever video you might pull up. He is defending his use of words like F***** and N***** derogatorily because he somehow is not a racist, because he doesn't allow "actual racists" to flourish in his community. Intent means a lot I guess I can give him that, but even he admits that his intent was to use racist language derogatorily.
I'm not in any form trying to defend the words he uses, not something I'm okay with. But saying him being an asshole refusing to change that aspect of himself in private life (and certain words making it into his streams etc) somehow leads to him pandering to the alt-right does not link up. The alt-right doesn't look at a piece of Destiny content that's going after one of the faces of their nonsense political beliefs and say "Oh, he uses an ableist slur, I'm okay with this guy."

Oct 25, 2017
The highest rated comments are calling him out on his bullshit so this isn't true.
Maybe I'm looking at the site wrong, but the top one looks like some meta joke, the next three are saying so much for the tolerant left, complaining about the SJWs, and saying this thread is cancer. Then there is one saying it was a rightful ban, but then a lot still sticking up for him.the comparison to the far right is comment number 7 from what I see.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
No, they really aren't. If he wanted to make a "business decision" he would about face and become an alt right darling overnight. If anything he has more in common with anti-fa than he does the alt-right:

Read his comments in this thread, tell me how any of that isn't pandering.

I don't wanna bring other websites drama here but the top comments are not calling him out on anything, the top comment is even a soy meme.

Anyway, yeah there are reasonable people that do watch him but there are also a lot of the usual Twitch crowd amongst them.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm looking at the site wrong, but the top one looks like some meta joke, the next three are saying so much for the tolerant left, complaining about the SJWs, and saying this thread is cancer. Then there is one saying it was a rightful ban, but then a lot still sticking up for him.the comparison to the far right is comment number 7 from what I see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/co...s_to_criticism_on_resetera/e3ltbon/?context=3

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not in any form trying to defend the words he uses, not something I'm okay with. But saying him being an asshole refusing to change that aspect of himself in private life (and certain words making it into his streams etc) somehow leads to him pandering to the alt-right does not link up. The alt-right doesn't look at a piece of Destiny content that's going after one of the faces of their nonsense political beliefs and say "Oh, he uses an ableist slur, I'm okay with this guy."

Starting with a careful "I'm not with you" as if we thought he was a progressive and then leading to "not part of my rhetoric to convince people that these things are morally bad" when talking about racism just says a lot about him.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny's a fucking manchild for using slurs. It's time to grow up and join the adults. Take off the fucking propeller hat and explore the many words the English language has to offer other than the two shitty ones you really want to use.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Read his comments in this thread, tell me how any of that isn't pandering.

I have my dude, I interacted directly with him.

He literally thinks violence against Nazis, white nationalists and those who push for ethnostates (different ways of saying the same thing in America I guess) is morally justified so he's doing a pretty rubbish job at pandering to the alt-right like you claim. His bigoted use of slurs don't erase all that and make him an alt-right leader given he's advocating that their heads be kicked in.

Destiny's a fucking manchild for using slurs. It's time to grow up and join the adults. Take off the fucking propeller hat and explore the many words the English language has to offer other than the two shitty ones you really want to use.

Word.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Starting with a careful "I'm not with you" as if we thought he was a progressive and then leading to "not part of my rhetoric to convince people that these things are morally bad" when talking about racism just says a lot about him.
I agree he's absolutely a child when it comes to language. Peter Pan syndrome going on based on his location and career isolating him from interacting with people in a work environment and being forced to grow like most people do after high school. But still not someone I would ever say is pandering to the alt-right based on his content. In any case we're not going to agree on this.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. The thread I was looking at earlier today had a screencap of his ban and was called "hog", but then I refreshed the page and it's no longer there. And, trying to find your thread doesn't show up, and searching Resetera gives a couple of threads but not yours. Weird.

Edit: though even in that thread there are still upvoted comments crapping on this site.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA

Just like with anything, he can't control who follows him and his content. There's plenty of people in his community he disagrees with.

Wouldn't discard the possibility of a lot of Gators jumping in because they hate Era in the first place.

Edit: I see, and he delete a few threads on his reddit because he disagrees with what was being said.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Huh. The thread I was looking at earlier today had a screencap of his ban and was called "hog", but then I refreshed the page and it's no longer there. And, trying to find your thread doesn't show up, and searching Resetera gives a couple of threads but not yours. Weird.

This one, yeah? https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/comments/94lr4n/hog/

Just refreshed the subreddit and it's not there anymore. Gonna be honest and say that I don't know what happened. Maybe when threads get deleted from Reddit you can still access them if you have a direct link?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is sorta what happens when you bring a platform to people who are completely unaware and untrained re: media ethics. When they get pushed on their "slip-ups" and so forth, the simple and easy thing is to apologize and attempt to move on, but so many of them try to justify their actions a la Roseanne. It's a bit childish of them, but I guess it's to be expected from people who make money by playing video games all day.

Destiny is completely aware of what he is doing. He knows how people view those words, and he is intentionally antagonizing them. I don't believe he is racist or homophobic, but I think he is problematic enough to be willing to use words that are hurtful to the LBGTQ community just to rile people up. He is, in fact, a traditional edge lord.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just said this on stream about the F slur. Still don't understand why he won't cut all of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of you white guys are goddamn children.

This fool comes and posts that bullshit. Go fuck off into the sun Clown.

You're a fucking idiot to hold an opinion like that.
That may have been the most childish Edgelordy ish the I've ever read. Dude is a child and most likely not like that at all in real life because he doesn't have the balls to be that way outside of an online persona

Red Frost

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Yes Vinny. I don't watch any of Joel's stuff. Sounds like a shit head though. It's too bad Vinny is connected with him.

Vinny is connected to much edgier people than Joel and doesn't call them out over it including notable gamergater Alphaomegasin.

You will NOT find a pure internet gaming personality, period. Even the seemingly progressive ones are as fair weather as Destiny, including Vinny, Game Grumps, Arlo, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
This one, yeah? https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/comments/94lr4n/hog/

Just refreshed the subreddit and it's not there anymore. Gonna be honest and say that I don't know what happened. Maybe when threads get deleted from Reddit you can still access them if you have a direct link?
That looks to be the one I saw earlier. I don't use reddit much, and I don't know his community, so when I went to look, that was the top thread and the only one I saw on the issue, and it contained such gems as:
"So much for the tolerant left smh.", "i don't know why he even wasted his time in there, reading that thread gave me cancer.", "Resetera is probably the biggest SJW shithole in the internet, so nothing of value will be lost.", and "I read a bit of that thread and I now have stage 4 cancer. Thanks a lot guys." as the top 2-5 posts. Ironically, the one calling it a deserved ban has fallen a few slots.

Though, in that other thread linked to me, the top post is complementing destiny for explaining his view calmly, while also saying he doesn't take criticism well. Then there's a bunch of "lol, banned" jokes, and the further down the line a comment of substance of:
"holy shit you must be miserable to actually spend time on that website". Then, asking what the site is, and after being told it's basically new NeoGAF, this is the top reply: "Oh god, no wonder they're all retarded." Granted, the top post that is critical of him is 47 points, but the two quotes here are 19 each, so it didn't seem like a tiny minority.

I didn't know about how thread deletion works on Reddit, so I guess that's why it wasn't popping up when I refreshed.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, I am not your friendly, neighborhood progressive. If your previous view of me was that, erase that from your head right now. I do not care, intrinsically, about minorities, or women, or people, or racism, or anything like that. It is not part of my rhetoric to convince people that these things are morally bad, it is not part of my characters to be inherently concerned with these things. I believe that feminism and equal opportunities for minorities tend to produce better outcomes worldwide. This is why I end up at many of the same positions that progressives end up.

when you don't take phil 101 in college so you hit your meme consequentialist phase 10 years late

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's really baffling and inconsistent.

Okay, I want to be up front in that I'm not going to defend his use of slurs in private or public. The context of him using the slur was to emphasize how terrible a one of his games was so he decided to pull out a slur he doesn't usually use on his stream. If you look at how he presents himself outside of that one exception it's not inconsistent, it was clearly just a really shitty joke. In the same vein you just have to look at how he doesn't allow racist emoji spam in chats like 99% of big twitch streamers do, he's clearly sincere in being against hate speech in public.

Once again I'm not defending his use of slurs in any context. Just, it's not inconsistent given he usually doesn't use the F slur on stream or any other slurs regarding race, gender, or sexuality.

Last edited:

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is downplaying global racism(which is obviously rampant)but we are currently discussing a problem that is about how engrained racism is here(Twitch). It's a classic example how the issue at hand can never be fully addressed here because;"it's going on abc elsewhere too!" It's fascinating that that is the knee jerk reaction that some of you have. Quick to defend, deflect, and deny at home first. Let's not even get into the bigger picture yet. Baby steps...
I was literally responding to someone that said "Welcome to western civilization" as though this isn't a global issue. Downplaying and trying to pretend issues are mostly tied to certain areas when they aren't is also problematic. I was only responding to a claim that is false, to not do so would be dishonest.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
I was literally responding to someone that said "Welcome to western civilization" as though this isn't a global issue. Downplaying and trying to pretend issues are mostly tied to certain areas when they aren't is also problematic. I was only responding to a claim that is false, to not do so would be dishonest.
It's deflection point blank. The gymnastics people will go to flip something never astounds me. Especially when this issue being discussed is taking place on a western platform. Again, part of the reason these issues will remain what they are. The lack of accountability.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Destiny has been targeted with harassment, violent threats, and anything you can think of by the alt-right more than most. They've had the FBI come to his home more than once. They've physically threatened his kid. He debates these people all the time and makes them look like fools.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I can assure you it's just how the internet works. People get more brazen when you can't see or know who they are. But, also racism is just everywhere especially when it's not to your face. Man on Xbox Live back on the 360 if I mic'd up I'd hear racist stuff daily.