• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these testimonies read like a bad saturday morning cartoon. I cannot even fathom how people like this CEO can even exist and land into such a position in this day and age.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
This whole situation is horrible. I am a dev and also a someone who actially leads a studio of a similar size so this hits home hard.

It must be said however that the CCO testament, while heartbreaking, is full of terrible decisions, which have made this worse for him. The part where he agrees to hold his apartament as a collateral for the investor to happen was difficult to read. Also bank rolling stuff from his own pocket and then signing off the control of the company he was a founder of. Uh. The dude is clearly talented and gullible and was taken advantage of.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin' yikes.

I remember seeing a few cools gifs of this some months back and thought this meant they had made it. This sucks.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This game was the only one from the showcase that the main PlayStation Twitter account didn't tweet about. So it seems like Sony are aware of this issue at least.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Got it. So you think when a console manufacturer reveals a game, they should do no due diligence on the health of the team and the state of the game being developed?
This is late, but uhhh what? You're making zero sense with this post.

Edit: anyway, to the topic on hand. That's awful and I hope the devs get their compensation. That entire situation is bull!

Atilla

Oct 23, 2018
Damn that sucks, this almost feels surreal to read. Not looking forward to have a job.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
The only egg on Sony's face is they showed a game without a dev team which is super awkward. At the same time I'm sure Sony doesn't go around blindly to 3rd party devs and just take whoever they can get to fill these slots I'm sure they did their due diligence and were simply misled by whoever was repping this project to them. As that isn't really outside the realm of possibility. It does put Sony in a bit of a bad light by possibly no fault of their own but that's besides the point I hope these devs get compensated and made whole. This is shocking to hear from Focus as I did enjoy their games. not gonna support them until this is addressed and sorted and after they've demonstrated not to treat their workers like this again.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
There's no way Sony couldn't have known, especially if this was going down in late June?

I really feel so bad for them. I hope they get picked up and brought in by a studio or publisher.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
You're right.

Having third-party auditing to ensure the health and safety of developers shouldn't be considered.

Just leave it to the Studio and Publisher. Because that's clearly working.

Three checks-and-balances is better than two, you say!
Dude it is not their studio, they don't own them in any way. You are acting like them showing a short trailer during a state of play is some major business relationship.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
Best case scenario: The game gets shoved off to another studio.

Worst case scenario: Aeon DOES die.
... pretty sure you got those backwards. Unless you're meaning to say that it's a good thing the original devs got ripped off, won't be able to work on their project anymore, and apparently have a black mark on their employment records.

Shoving it off onto another studio doesn't fix the alleged stolen IP and labor violations. It actually worsens the situation, because the next studio has to build off of that toxic base, because it's not practical to restart development from scratch.

Given that Focus and LimeStone seem to be supporting each other, what's more likely is that they'll restaff LimeStone and keep not paying and abusing the new staff.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
You're right.

Having third-party auditing to ensure the health and safety of developers shouldn't be considered.

Just leave it to the Studio and Publisher. Because that's clearly working.

Three checks-and-balances is better than two, you say!

Please stop being obtuse and unreasonable. How do you expect companies like Sony or Nintendo to always check every single one of them companies that send them trailers to showcase for good management practices? I mean what the heck is this. And don't make this a moral grandstanding on your part too: what you are suggesting are completely unreasonable and stupid.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Please stop being obtuse and unreasonable. How do you expect companies like Sony or Nintendo to always check every single one of them companies that send them trailers to showcase for good management practices? I mean what the heck is this. And don't make this a moral grandstanding on your part too: what you are suggesting are completely unreasonable and stupid.

It's unreasonable to vet the games and studios you showcase alongside your brand and hardware in a SHOWCASE?

It's not hard. Every partnership across numerous (if not most) industries do this.

If you're going partner / source / showcase third-party work, do the due diligence of vetting it - even if it provides you the safety net of a short paper trail.

But also, shouldn't we be looking to console manufacturers and AAA publishers to implement practices and vetting processes that weed shit like developer abuse out entirely?

Or are you perfectly fine with the way the industry is operating currently when it comes to developer wellbeing?

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
It's unreasonable to vet the games and studios you showcase alongside your brand and hardware in a SHOWCASE?

It's not hard. Every partnership across numerous (if not most) industries do this.

If you're going partner / source / showcase third-party work, do the due diligence of vetting it - even if it provides you the safety net of a short paper trail.

But also, shouldn't we be looking to console manufacturers and AAA publishers to implement practices and vetting processes that weed shit like developer abuse out entirely?

Or are you perfectly fine with the way the industry is operating currently when it comes to developer wellbeing?

Fuck, man. I'm gonna have to school you, because you don't seem to get it. I worked in a company and we were granted a spot on the last PlayStation Experience event that was made. The way that shit works in the industry, is that the heads of the publishing company makes a deal with Sony to get a spot in one of their showcases. Sony then gives you some specifications to go from (resolution, duration, framerate, format, etc.), and then you you deliver the video based on that. That's it. They don't get involved at all in what else happens. It's not their responsibility. Anyway, 3 months later, the company had massive layoffs, including me. And guess what? Its on the publisher, not on Sony. They don't go and check what the developer is doing, that falls on the publisher responsibility. An event like this is a huge event for a smaller company, because the attention you gather is huge. The publisher will do whatever it can to put the video in there, it's their chance to shine. You blaming Sony is one the dumbest takes I read in a while.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017

You seem far more concerned about imaginary damage to Sony's image than developer wellbeing.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fuck, man. I'm gonna have to school you, because you don't seem to get it. I worked in a company and we were granted a spot on the last PlayStation Experience event that was made. The way that shit works in the industry, is that the heads of the publishing company makes a deal with Sony to get a spot in one of their showcases. Sony then gives you some specifications to go from (resolution, duration, framerate, format, etc.), and then you you deliver the video based on that. That's it. They don't get involved at all in what else happens. It's not their responsibility. Anyway, 3 months later, the company had massive layoffs, including me. And guess what? Its on the publisher, not on Sony. They don't go and check what the developer is doing, that falls on the publisher responsibility. An event like this is a huge event for a smaller company, because the attention you gather is huge. The publisher will do whatever it can to put the video in there, it's their chance to shine. You blaming Sony is one the dumbest takes I read in a while.

Fuck, man. You don't seem to get it.

I'm saying that there aren't many entities in the industry with the power of Sony, Nintendo, MS or AAA Publishers to make impactful change - in racial equality, in sexual assault and in this - crunch and developer abuse.

Console manufacturers profit from the inclusion of all third party software. All I've said is that they too should apply an additional layer of scrutiny.

And you thinking I blame Sony ONLY is one of the dumbest interpretations of my comment yet. This is on the developer. This is on the publisher.

But console manufacturers should implement a third line of defense for developers.

Sorry. You and I clearly aren't going to see eye to eye on this.

You seem far more concerned about imaginary damage to Sony's image than developer wellbeing.

And you're clearly oblivious regarding who you're talking to. I've worked with PlayStation and it's the primary hardware in my entertainment system. Even having to explain my intentions to you makes me realize I'm wasting my time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

What exactly are you asking of Sony here? That they fly a PR person out to Estonia in the middle of a pandemic, to tour the studio? Should they request their bank statements and tax returns?

You're being ridiculous and are derailing the thread from the actual focus.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What exactly are you asking of Sony here? That they fly a PR person out to Estonia in the middle of a pandemic, to tour the studio? Should they request their bank statements and tax returns?

You're being ridiculous and are derailing the thread from the actual focus.

Simple Zoom, Skype or Google Meet meetings with select devs will suffice.

Not as expensive or time consuming as what you just outlined (not to mention overcomplicated).

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Fuck, man. You don't seem to get it.

I'm saying that there aren't many entities in the industry with the power of Sony, Nintendo, MS or AAA Publishers to make impactful change - in racial equality, in sexual assault and in this - crunch and developer abuse.

Console manufacturers profit from the inclusion of all third party software. All I've said is that they too should apply an additional layer of scrutiny.

And you thinking I blame Sony ONLY is one of the dumbest interpretations of my comment yet. This is on the developer. This is on the publisher.

But console manufacturers should implement a third line of defense for developers.

Sorry. You and I clearly aren't going to see eye to eye on this.

And you're clearly oblivious regarding who you're talking to. I've worked with PlayStation and it's the primary hardware in my entertainment system. Even having to explain my intentions to you makes me realize I'm wasting my time.

No, we won't, because you want to give some weird-ass responsibility to a company that doesn't have to take any responsibility in this thing. AT ALL. If the news had broken down and this game weren't in the show, nobody would have talked about it. This, good or bad, brings attention to this problem.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Not as expensive or time consuming as what you just outlined (not to mention overcomplicated).
And you know this to be standard industry practice that was failed in this one case?

Unless this is true, you're simply looking at a bad situation and being completely reactionary.

Did Sony and Microsoft vet Ubisoft to find out about the rampant sexual misconduct? Oops.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No, we won't, because you want to give some weird-ass responsibility to a company that doesn't have to take any responsibility in this thing. AT ALL. If the news had broken down and this game weren't in the show, nobody would have talked about it. This, good or bad, brings attention to this problem.

I'm wasting my time here.

I'm done explaining why three layers of defense for devs (even if Sony's is minimal compared to the developer and publisher) is better than two.

I'm literally amazed by the unwillingness to see the value (and rationale) of console manufacturers putting their stake in the ground on this.

Well, it's been a treat, thread! Adios.

And you know this to be standard industry practice that was failed in this one case?

Unless this is true, you're simply looking at a bad situation and being completely reactionary.

Did Sony and Microsoft vet Ubisoft to find out about the rampant sexual misconduct? Oops.

You just made my point. Maybe, they should have.

That'd light a fire under the ass of publishers to ensure healthy work environments. Wouldn't it?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You just made my point. Maybe, they should have.

That'd light a fire under the ass of publishers to ensure healthy work environments. Wouldn't it?
You're asking Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft to become industry watchdogs. Of every development studio in existence.

Come up with a reasonable plan that covers such a thing. I appreciate the idealism but it's impossible.

That's something governments handle.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
We don't have common ground. If I'm a Brand Manager or Studio Liaison with SIE, I'd want to know about the health of the employees behind the game we're showing. Moreover, I want to know that what I'm showing is legally sound from an IP infringement standpoint. And of course the studio and publisher isn't going to tell me to fuck off - because I'm their best shot at mass awareness among consumers. Will they lie? Maybe. But will I at least have a paper trail of attempting to gather a report? Yes.

So let me reiterate. The studio heads shouldn't have been shitty. Focus should've known. And Sony - a major vessel for third parties to showcase their games - should have audits in place. Especially given how toxic this industry is behind the scenes.

So no. No common ground here it seems.

then i am sorry. what you are asking for is impossible, both legally and in execution.
In execution because at this rate, every platform/editor/promoter/publisher (because why stop here) that is by any mean showcasing or advertising a game or any piece, would have an obligation to inquire in a detailed manner on a 3rd party company's health and treatment of their employees.It is just humanely impossible (unless they overwork and underpay their internal auditors). given the scale of the various transactions happening on a daily basis, it is physically impossible.
I'm not even dwelling on the legality of the practice.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017

Sony exec: Anyone here being abused or mistreated?
Publisher board/Dev CEO: Nope.
Sony exec: Ok, we're good to go here.

The devs (as in the actual people) aren't connected to Sony in any way. The company just ships them a trailer and it's the publisher that gets involved in the actual deals in terms of what ends up in the showcase.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Holy fuck. This Yarl cretin should never be allowed to run another studio.
Very likely this is gonna happen. What i'm surprised about is that so little amount of youtubers have taken up on that story. Probably the studio and project are not big enough to generate views?
Sad if that turns out to be the case

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
When i saw the trailer i was like, this look like a turn based RPG from the video. if this is not the case it's clearly all fake....

That story make me think i was so right. This game will never came out sadly.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

This kind of thing, the type of "vetting" you're talking about, it's not a thing. And it shouldn't be really, the implications of it have potential to be gross.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
You're asking Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft to become industry watchdogs. Of every development studio in existence.

To be fair, I think they are talking about studios they promote in a major way in their reveals and things... Not every studio that puts a game on their console.