• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So this is happening right now and they are showing "bodies". They brought them to the hearing lol.

Yep pretty insane. Mexico just casually showing pics of supposedly recovered NHI bodies. I'm away from computer RN but maybe someone else can post some of the pictures from the stream.

The translation from the stream was an auto translate so pretty rough, will be nice to get an accurate one because ho boy that was a megaton of info even is massive grain of salt and all that. I recall the auto translate mentioned one of the bodies being carbon dated at 1000 years old. And apparently they lay eggs? It's hard to take any of this at face value but I think this is going to generate quite a bit of discussion over the next few days. Just maybe not here cause ya know :P

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I want to read the fucking researches papers before believing something. But that was really crazy stuff. If it's all a hoax the should go to jail for that.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Someone I know just alerted me to this and I'm highly skeptical and waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding who staged it and how. Do we have any confirmation that this was an actual Mexican government hearing? Was it streamed on an official channel?

Deleted member 156745

Aug 3, 2023
I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I firmly believe Maussan is a fraud the equivalent of Greer in the US. These 'mummies' have been around for several years and Peruvian archeologists debunked them years ago. Maussan is responsible for the 'Roswell Slides' among other hoaxes, where he's either so naive in wanting to believe he denies everything else, or is complicit in them. These mummies supposedly now run up to 20 and were at 3 several years ago.

Here is an archived column on this:
webcache.googleusercontent.com

The Racism Behind Alien Mummy Hoaxes

Pre-Columbian bodies are once again being used as evidence for extraterrestrial life.

Some quotes:

"In 2015, Maussan tried to promote a photographic slide from the late 1940s that, he hinted, depicted the corpse of an alien child found in the American Southwest. More skeptical ufologists applied de-blurring technology to the "Roswell Slide" when it was released, and found that a previously undecipherable placard next to the body revealed that it was actually the mummy of a two-year-old Puebloan boy removed from the cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde in 1894. Returned to a National Park museum in 1938, the boy was repatriated to a local tribe in 2015"

"At some point Ronceros brought that hand and the first "mummy" to a series of museums, including the natural history museum at Lima's University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the hemisphere. According to that museum's head of vertebrate paleontology, Rodolfo Salas-Gismondi—who is also an investigator affiliated with the American Museum of Natural History in New York—Ronceros changed his story when challenged on the obvious fabrication, claiming that it instead was a pre-Columbian "representation" of alien life, made of a mixture of animal and human bones. Around this time, Maussan and fellow international UFO "experts" got involved, declaring that the mummies in question—they kept multiplying—were fabrications, possibly ancient, but that others were "genuine, non-human biological remains."

Also I looked at the NHI links they provided here, which classify them as Homo Sapiens and even admitted there was 'heavy contamination' of up to 60% human DNA. Why that's 'contamination' and not what the DNA is actually made up of, I have no idea why that's concluded:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/PRJNA861322
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/PRJNA869134
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/PRJNA865375

For comparison, in just normal forensic science of criminal victims, they could only pull 2% of human DNA from the remains of a tooth:

"For more than two decades, Rodney's remains went unidentified. Ultimately, successful identification of Rodney was established using Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing®. Detective Jim Scharf and Snohomish County Medical Examiner Lead Investigator, Jane Jorgensen worked with a lab to extract the victim's DNA from a tooth, but the extracted DNA was heavily degraded and contaminated by non-human DNA. Less than 2% of the DNA was human."

promega.foleon.com

The ISHI Report August 2020 - Framework for Testing Unidentified Remains

Incredible advances in genetic testing have transformed what forensic professionals can learn from DNA left at crime scenes and a growing number of seemingly “unsolvable” cases are now being closed.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe this guy. He's shown up time and time again with these presenations and he's very Greer like in he gets presentations together than sometimes may run into credible people, but then makes these crazy declarations with a motive to want to believe this stuff, with Gaia funding him for this so they can make more shows on it.

I'll reserve my right to change my mind if someone like Garry Nolan steps up and takes a look at this, since he debunked a previous case they did a whole documentary on, but right now I'm saying this is a very large leap of assumptions with someone with a history of this and the story has changed over the years since they tried to present this to Peruvian archeologists. This kind of stuff really hurts the field when similar cases have been proven time and time again to be a hoax.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The bodies just look way too much like movie aliens. Not that it's impossible that extra-terrestrials would have a humanoid shape of course, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Deleted member 156745

Aug 3, 2023
More on this guy, as a lot of these guys suddenly 'reappear' with the new found interest in the field and re-promote their grift. Remember the Johnathan Reed alien in the fridge story in the 90s with Art Bell? He supported that, as well as Billy Meier:

"Promoter and supporter of various UFO hoaxes. Constantly claims to have scientific proof, but never seems able to produce it when asked. Claimed to have radar tapes confirming UFOs in Mexico airspace. Was reportedly asked for the tapes - the tapes never came to fruition. Supported Hale-Bopp UFO hoax made infamous via Art Bell and Courtney Brown. Told people at a 1996 UFO conference that stars in the sky were actually giant UFOs hovering in space above the planet. Said this was reason stars shifted position in sky! Sold infamous tape of daylight UFO to a television network for a reported $120,000 - the tape was proven to be a hoax.

Maussan has also supported the Billy Meier UFO fraud. Maussan is now best known for his promotion of the shameless Reed UFO Fraud. Maussan claims to have scientific proof of the Reed UFO Fraud - again, he has yet to produce it. Will jump the gun and claim a bogus alien photo is real without proper investigation. Maussan had the gall to call your ufowatchdog.com an amateur - funny, but I recall this so-called amateur exposing the Reed UFO Fraud that was sitting right under Maussan's nose. So, Jaime, what ever did happen to your supposed investigation showing "Dr. Reed" to be real? Beware of so-called journalists that don't report all of the facts...it is indeed a wonder why anyone would give Maussan a grain of credibility. Let's just hope a real case of import never finds its way to Maussan...God help us if it does...clowns belong in the circus, not doing investigations."

"I also think this latest round of fraud serves as a reminder of and testament to the incompetence of Jaime Maussan and Dan Iaria in investigating and evaluating UFO cases. They were apparently told fraud was detected in the photos, yet that information was completely ignored. In my opinion, Iaria and Maussan both are clowns and continue to do a great disservice to UFOlogy with their third rate investigative antics."

Link of him promoting an early 2000s 'alien' photo made from a Geocities stock photo placed in the picture:

Deleted member 156745

Aug 3, 2023
From a previous story on the "experts" on Maussan's team. Sounds eerily familiar to the Johnathan Reed case. From Google Translate to the link:

Google Translate

Google's service, offered free of charge, instantly translates words, phrases, and web pages between English and over 100 other languages.

The science behind the sources:

One of the scientists who appear in the video is Konstantin Korotkov, a Russian PhD professor at the University of Saint Petersburg (according to Gaia, although there are no records on the university's website) and an expert in bioelectrography, who participates on the research. Korotkov, who is actually affiliated with the St. Petersburg Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics, when describing the 1.68 m long creature, is clear in stating that the unusual characteristics of its physique are not any type of deformation produced on a human body, but rather it is a humanoid. Korotkov is recognized in a series of portals similar to Gaia for taking photos of the soul when it leaves the body, shortly after a death has occurred. These images have not been published (most of those shown on the internet are referential, taken by photographers for artistic purposes). He also claims to have developed devices to make the blind see and detect cancer early. Korotkov is a member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, a sort of alternative to the renowned Russian Academy of Sciences.

Another of the academics included in the video is José de Jesús Zalce Benítez, a forensic expert at Mexico 's National School of Forensic Medicine , according to the video. Such a school does not exist, at least on the Internet. Zalce is rather affiliated with the Naval Medical School, where only the career of surgeon is taught, not forensic. When searching for information about his work as a researcher we only found links related to conferences on signs of alien presence on Earth, as well as supposed analyzes of extraterrestrial remains, events in several of which he has shared space with Maussan.

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i was looking at that spinal column thing and was thinking how it all looked kitbashed from smaller pieces of bone. the video presenttion was very graphic intensive and could have been completely fabricated rather than coming from converted research data and actual equipment scans.

plus when i clicked over and saw them with some aliem mummy looking very much like this guy

Meme_Man_on_transparent_background.webp

I had to just laugh and realize a paranormal talk show host is literally one of the organizers. i hope that they were able to discuss some things seriously before the sideshow began, but there was some major hoax energy surrounding that ETI body thing.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
And now more people will go deeper in their rabbit hole, that's sad.
For some, now, it's impossible that it's false.
Like i've read on reddit, the fact that many people say this could be fake prove that it's true.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
Ryan Graves sitting there as they wheel out the alien coffins

QQioRn2.gif
Yesterday's mockery of a hearing makes me okay with congress taking its time with this. There's so so so much bullshit noise with this topic it makes finding the actually interesting stuff like needles in a haystack. All part of the grift I imagine

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Videos of ‘Earthquake Lights’ Above Morocco Are an Unexplained Mystery.

Sightings of aerial luminous phenomena, often observed during earthquakes, are being shared online. Experts aren’t sure what causes them.

Sightings of aerial luminous phenomena, often observed during earthquakes, are being shared online. Experts aren't sure what causes them.

People near Marrakesh, Morocco, shared videos recorded before the 6.8-magnitude earthquake that hit the area last Friday, showing unidentified lights in the sky. The bizarre aerial phenomena are known as earthquake lights, and seem to occur above sites of seismic stress.

"People have wondered about them forever," said Karen Daniels, a physicist at North Carolina State University. "It's one of those persistent mysteries that hang around and never quite get nailed."

Earthquake lights are difficult to study because earthquakes are impossible to predict. Without knowing when or where they will occur, researchers don't know where to place sensitive equipment that can detect them. Some experts doubt they're associated with earthquakes at all, according to the United States Geological Survey.

But accounts of these lights go back centuries, said John Ebel, a seismologist at Boston College who wrote a book on the history of earthquakes in the northeastern United States. In a study in 2014, researchers found reports of aerial luminous phenomena from 65 earthquakes occurring in Europe and the Americas during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.

People have reported a variety of kinds of earthquake lights, ranging from glows high in the sky to low on the horizon. Some last up to minutes, others flash on and off like lightning. They've also been seen in different colors.

"All of these have been reported by observers," Dr. Ebel said. "Which ones are actually true, and which ones are products of their imagination, we can't really say."

"We're comforted by things that we can understand, and we're scared by things we don't," Dr. Daniels said. "I think that's part of the reason we're so fascinated by this phenomenon."

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.cbsnews.com

Researcher shows bodies of purported "non-human" beings to Mexican congress at UFO hearing

Jamie Maussan, a longtime UFO researcher, was joined in Mexico's Congress by a former U.S. Navy pilot, who later dismissed Maussan's "unsubstantiated stunt."

A journalist and researcher on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP), or UFOs as they're better known, presented the remains of purported "non-human" beings to lawmakers in Mexico on Tuesday during the country's first public congressional hearing on the topic.

Jamie Maussan brought two boxes containing what he said were the small, stuffed bodies of extraterrestrials recovered in Peru in 2017. He said carbon-14 dating carried out by the National Autonomous University of Mexico had determined the remains were 700 and 1,800 years old. Each of the figures has only three fingers on each hand and elongated heads, resembling, at least superficially, the Hollywood-born character ET.

He said DNA evidence could prove the specimens were not of this planet, but it wasn't clear if any such tests had been carried out.

At least one previous claim by Maussan about purported "non-human" remains discovered in Peru has been debunked, though the specimens he presented Tuesday in Mexico City appeared different to the one he previously spoke about in 2015.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/uncertainvector/status/1702023350803959988

After the U.S. Congressional UFO hearing, I accepted an invitation to testify before the Mexican Congress hoping to keep up the momentum of government interest in pilot experiences with UAP. Unfortunately, yesterday's demonstration was a huge step backwards for this issue. My testimony centered on sharing my experience and the UAP reports I hear from commercial and military aircrew through ASA's witness program. I will continue to raise awareness of UAP as an urgent matter of aerospace safety, national security, and science, but I am deeply disappointed by this unsubstantiated stunt.

Last edited:

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Gary Nolans Tweet about the bodies below,,, think it is well measured.... also why the heck is this thread now in hangouts?

''First, you are putting words in my mouth. I "quote-unquote" never said, "Nah looks fake to me". Don't put words in my mouth. If you want to be taken seriously, don't lie.

Second... I was given the original data. I looked at it. I realized it would take an enormous amount of effort to go back and recreate the trail of evidence. I put far more effort into this already than you know. You've spent what, 30 minutes looking at a tweet or two and then popping off?

If YOU think it's so important, go spend 40 years learning the tools of the trade, learn how science is really done, and then spend a year of your life doing the work. Until then, you are an amateur with an opinion. I won't even offer an opinion because I have said many times I would need to see all the data.

I have been explicit in not taking a position. I've just pointed to countermanding evidence. Just because I don't just jump to YOUR conclusion doesn't mean I am accusing anyone of anything. I am just warning people to be very careful if they want to discern the truth here.

They didn't do what was needed to verify to a standard of science. There are now at least 2 explicit videos explaining how these things could have been faked (note I used the word "could". The DNA evidence of "nothing we've seen before" is a nothing burger given all the ways that DNA reads can be messed up.

You have zero comprehension of what it takes to do real work. You want instant answers. People like you do this field an extraordinary disservice. The reason "real scientists" won't touch this stuff with padded gloves is completely evident in your lack of critical thinking skills. Of course, that's just an opinion, but I don't need peer review to come to that conclusion at least.''

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Gary Nolans Tweet about the bodies below,,, think it is well measured.... also why the heck is this thread now in hangouts?

''First, you are putting words in my mouth. I "quote-unquote" never said, "Nah looks fake to me". Don't put words in my mouth. If you want to be taken seriously, don't lie.

Second... I was given the original data. I looked at it. I realized it would take an enormous amount of effort to go back and recreate the trail of evidence. I put far more effort into this already than you know. You've spent what, 30 minutes looking at a tweet or two and then popping off?

If YOU think it's so important, go spend 40 years learning the tools of the trade, learn how science is really done, and then spend a year of your life doing the work. Until then, you are an amateur with an opinion. I won't even offer an opinion because I have said many times I would need to see all the data.

I have been explicit in not taking a position. I've just pointed to countermanding evidence. Just because I don't just jump to YOUR conclusion doesn't mean I am accusing anyone of anything. I am just warning people to be very careful if they want to discern the truth here.

They didn't do what was needed to verify to a standard of science. There are now at least 2 explicit videos explaining how these things could have been faked (note I used the word "could". The DNA evidence of "nothing we've seen before" is a nothing burger given all the ways that DNA reads can be messed up.

You have zero comprehension of what it takes to do real work. You want instant answers. People like you do this field an extraordinary disservice. The reason "real scientists" won't touch this stuff with padded gloves is completely evident in your lack of critical thinking skills. Of course, that's just an opinion, but I don't need peer review to come to that conclusion at least.''

Thank you for bringing fucking sanity checks to the thread

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1702082254430728592

The small mummified corpses, which had elongated heads, three fingers and bodily makeups similar to Hollywood depictions of aliens, were allegedly found in Peru in 2017 and were said by Maussan to be about 1,000 years old.

Maussan claimed the bodies were found in algae mines and that researchers at the Autonomous National University Of Mexico examined both, finding one had "eggs" inside of them.

José de Jesús Zalce Benítez, the director of the Scientific Institute for Health of the Mexican navy, presented scans of the bodies to Congress members and claimed they had retractable necks, no teeth, large brains and big eyes that were capable of "wide stereoscopic vision."

Maussan reported on a supposed alien body found in Peru in 2015 that was later debunked as the mummified corpse of a human child.

Benítez was also a lead researcher in the presentation of the debunked body discovery, which showed six three-finger mummified bodies in a YouTube video posted in 2017 by Gaia.com, which has been scrutinized as a conspiracy theory hub.

Maussan has worked as a journalist for more than 50 years. The 2017 video report he participated in, which showed alleged non-human remains later debunked as a mummified child's corpse, was published by Gaia.com. The website charges $99 a year for videos on paranormal and supernatural subjects, including alien abductions. The website belongs to alternative video platform Gaia Inc.—a publicly traded company with a $52 million market cap. The bodies in the video report from Gaia are much larger than those presented to Mexican Congress on Tuesday, though all the bodies share some similarities, including three-finger hands and elongated heads. In 2010, Maussan hosted his own TV show, and by 2019 was the subject of a movie titled Maussan's UFO Files," a one-hour documentary film that covered his pursuit of "the most controversial UFO events" in Mexican history. Maussan also has a YouTube channel, Maussan TV, with nearly 1 million subscribers.

Last edited:

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The DNA evidence of "nothing we've seen before" is a nothing burger given all the ways that DNA reads can be messed up.
Just that aliens have DNA, let alone have it and it's close enough that we can sequence it, and they have a non-0% overlap with any life on earth is ridiculous.

Maybe these hoaxers should have someone that's got some biological background.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately when it comes to this topic it just screams from the rooftops how fucking awful a force confirmation bias can be

Human beings are apparently ill equipped to recognize and control it. Leading to justification loops and logic leaps that are pushed, regardless of merit, with full self confidence

Nothing we haven't seen a million times over and it's probably worse now... in this shitty information age... than it has even been in history

Panicky Duck

Dec 14, 2020
I believe NASA will be releasing their UAP report today. It's sure to be an interesting read, even if I don't expect anything groundbreaking.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The last couple months have been especially scummy on this topic as people are do desperate to believe they're jumping on every bandwagon as soon as it pulls up.

NASA UAP Independent Study Team - Final Report
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1702321823692832843

OVERALL CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

We recommend that NASA play a prominent role in the whole-of-government effort to understand UAP by leveraging its extensive expertise to contribute to a comprehensive, evidence-based approach that is rooted in the scientific method. We specifically recommend that NASA utilize its existing and planned Earth-observing assets to probe the local environmental conditions associated with UAP that are initially detected by other means. In so doing, NASA can directly probe whether certain environmental factors are coincident with known UAP. We further recommend that NASA explore enhancing collaborations with the U.S. commercial remote-sensing industry, which offer powerful constellations of high-resolution Earth-observing satellites.

At present, the detection of UAP is often serendipitous, captured by sensors that were not designed or calibrated for this purpose, and which lack comprehensive metadata. Coupled with incomplete data archiving and curation, this means that the origin of numerous UAP remain uncertain. The importance of detecting UAP with multiple, well-calibrated sensors is thus paramount, and accordingly we recommend that NASA leverage its considerable expertise in this domain to potentially utilize multispectral or hyperspectral data as part of a rigorous data acquisition campaign.

In turn, the panel finds that sophisticated data analysis techniques, including artificial intelligence and machine learning, must be used in a comprehensive UAP detection campaign when coupled with systematic data gathering and robust curation. Here, we recommend that NASA's expertise in these key areas be contributed to the whole-ofgovernment UAP effort.

The panel finds that public engagement in the effort to better understand UAP will be vital. NASA, by lending its name to UAP studies, is already helping to reduce stigma associated with reporting. Beyond this, we recommend that NASA explore the viability of developing or acquiring a crowdsourcing system, such as open-source smartphone-based apps, to gather imaging data and other smartphone sensor data from multiple citizen observers as part of a wider effort to more systematically gather public UAP reports.

Lastly, we recommend that the Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) for commercial pilot UAP reporting be better leveraged, providing a critical database for the whole-ofgovernment effort to understand UAP. The agency's long history of partnership with the FAA should also be capitalized to investigate how advanced, real-time analysis techniques could be applied to future generations of air traffic management (ATM) systems.

In conclusion, NASA is uniquely positioned to contribute to a robust and systematic approach to studying UAP, furthering its mission of advancing scientific knowledge, technical expertise, and exploration. When considering the above recommendations, and according to budget priorities, NASA should leverage its core capabilities and expertise to determine whether it should take a leading or supporting role in implementing a given recommendation. The positioning of NASA's role should further be situated within the context of the broader whole-of-government approach to understanding UAP.

Last edited:

Deleted member 156745

Aug 3, 2023
I'm glad that a way for pilots to finally have a system of reporting is being recommended as a push for sensors as well. Hopefully at some point a anecdotal + open source sensor + FAA + DOD collaboration can happen to have several different methods tracking an object that starts from anecdotal reports as well as improving identification of mundane things and giving awareness to the populace on how to identify things like Starlink and so on.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this report is really just about the role NASA wants to play in identifying UAPs rather than drawing any conclusions about their nature, since the evidence to draw conclusions with either doesn't exist currently or is inadequate. Seems like a logical step.

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/NASAScienceAA/status/1702437676295573753

www.politico.com

NASA has a new UFO boss

Mark McInerney, a former agency liaison to the Defense Department, will become research director for unidentified aerial phenomena.

Mark McInerney, who was previously NASA's liaison to the Defense Department, will become the research director for UAP — unidentified aerial phenomena, the government's preferred term — overseeing the space agency's work on the topic and serving as a communicator between federal agencies on UFOs.

NASA officials initially declined to disclose the director's identity, citing potential threats.

A main reason for the initial secrecy was that members of the independent study group received threats, Dan Evans, an assistant deputy associate administrator at NASA, told reporters.

Several members of the study were ridiculed on social media, received hate mail and said their colleagues were "warned" to stay away from researching such topics because it could damage their scientific credibility and potential for promotions, according to the report.

It's unusual for a public official to remain anonymous, but NASA officials repeated that a major component of the study was to remove the stigma around those who want to report UFO sightings.

The research director is "tasked with developing and overseeing the implementation of NASA's vision for UAP research," Nelson said, with Fox adding that the new director "will serve as NASA's point of contact for government entities."

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/BrandiVincent_/status/1702505625056370842

NASA is poised to play an "essential" and "vital" role in supporting the Pentagon's All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office and its unfolding, whole-of-government pursuits to understand and resolve cases associated with unidentified anomalous phenomena — the modern term for UFOs — federal officials said Thursday.

On the heels of the review's release, personnel from both NASA and the Defense Department are being tight-lipped about what their partnership on UAPs will look like — even as they continue to commit to deeper government transparency on this historically stigmatized topic.

"NASA has taken — for the first time — concrete action to seriously look into UAP, and this independent study team is exactly that. It's independent. They work to develop recommendations about how NASA could better examine them from a scientific perspective — and the top takeaway from the study is that there is a lot more to learn," Nelson explained.

"So, while today is a significant step for NASA, it's certainly not our final step. And we're going to share more with you," he added.

While many of DOD's UAP-related records are still classified for reasons the department associates with operational security, Nelson and the panel of experts emphasized that NASA is prioritizing unclassified data in its work so that personnel and the public can speak openly about it.

"We are going to continue our search from a scientific point of view. If those other agencies continue their search, we're going to be glad to join in — but our stuff is going to be open," Nelson said.

Broadly, the report recommends a number of ways in which NASA should assist the All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office's (AARO) ongoing, congressionally mandated responsibilities and potentially take on some new ones of its own.

"[DOD's] primary mission is not investigating the universe, but protecting it," Spergel told DefenseScoop after the briefing.

Meanwhile, NASA "with its extensive expertise in these domains and global reputation for scientific openness — is in an excellent position to contribute to UAP studies within the broader whole-of-government framework led by" AARO, he and the expert team he led wrote in their new report.

"While AARO is establishing a systematic mechanism for military and intelligence community UAP reports, current FAA guidelines instruct citizens wanting to report UAP to contact local law enforcement or one or more non-governmental organizations. As a result, the collection of data is sparse, unsystematic, and lacks any curation or vetting protocols. NASA should play a vital role by assisting AARO in its development of this federal system," officials wrote.

At the Pentagon's press briefing on Thursday, Sabrina Singh, deputy press secretary, declined to share any further information about the making and deployment of a federal system for civilian reporting of UAP in relation to the new site or how the department might look to NASA for support.

"Once AARO and other agencies, including NASA, accumulate an extensive and well-curated catalog of baseline data, these can be used to train neural networks so that they can characterize deviations from normal. The panel finds that standard techniques that are routinely applied in astronomy, particle physics, and other areas of science can be adapted for these analyses," according to the report.

In response to DefenseScoop's questions regarding the next steps for cooperation with AARO and the secure mechanisms the NASA team is using for information-sharing, Fox simply responded: "On the immediate actions, we've established our director of UAP research and they're working across the whole-of-government, they're working very closely with AARO. They are a sort of central point for all of the collaboration."

But in an apparent change of heart late on Thursday, a NASA spokesperson alerted DefenseScoop that the agency opted to identify the official as Mark McInerney.

Previously, McInerney "served as NASA's liaison to the Department of Defense covering limited UAP activities for the agency," states a press release that was updated Thursday afternoon. DefenseScoop reported on that engagement earlier this year.

"One of AARO's best partners in the review of the scientific data and collection capabilities surrounding UAPs has been NASA. Our partnership was solidified by the inclusion of a NASA liaison to join AARO's science and technology group, who has helped expand AARO's reach into the academic and scientific communities," Pentagon Spokesperson Eric Pahon told DefenseScoop on Thursday.

"NASA plays a vital role in the whole-of-government approach to understanding the types of data requirements, collection capabilities, and scientific methodologies applicable to UAP research. AARO has supported NASA's Independent Study team throughout their process, and fully supports NASA's findings and recommendations," Pahon said.