• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm gonna be super honest and say the game offers too little value at $60. A linear 12 hours game is a hard sell, no matter how good, in the age of longer games.

Still, it's gonna have enormous legs, specially as price cuts start coming. It's gonna be an ever green title.

I am so tired of 50-60 Bloatwares like Assassin's Creed, or Far Cry open world games where I have to keep redoing the same thing in the same bland copy pasted environment with barely any level design or the other million GAAS games. Saying this does not offer value at 60USD is terrible take on it. It has two main campaigns, and four side stories, plus mode DLCs coming later. I played 20 hours of it at this point and still fun. Hope people will buy this, also wish Prey would have been bought by more people

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I fucking hate this mindset. It's an incredibly high-quality game with a decent amount of content and high replayability. Not everything needs to be a 40 hour padded as fuck open world.

Could not agree more with this post. People need to learn that quantity does not equal automatic quality. As far as I'm concerned RE2 was more deserving of my pre-order than Red Dead Redemption was, simply by the virtue of it being the better game, longevity be damned.

Yeah I don't think you call this a win. The UK is their second strongest region after the US and it's not that far behind the ps4. Just imagine the WW ratio. We're probably talking 90%+ on the PS4. It's at the point where it's not even worth it for Sony to get games like this exclusive. They get such a huge portion of the sales anyway.

Right, but at the same time, look how well Resident Evil 2 (1998) sold on Xbox.

Last edited:

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Wouldn't read too much into any UK sales threads these days. Outside of some big overperformers, the market has changed in the last 2 years with one of the other big games retailers closing (Grainger) and people getting so fed up of GAME's shit that they have turned to digital or other untracked vendors.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
74%?

Jesus that insane ratio in favor of the PS4 in one of Xbox's strongest market.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have the sales numbers for the original RE2 in the UK?

Nah it's more like 20-30%.

for square-enix, digital is already selling more than disc excepting in Japan.

sq4ko2.png

source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q4slides.pdf

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't think you call this a win. The UK is their second strongest region after the US and it's not that far behind the ps4. Just imagine the WW ratio. We're probably talking 90%+ on the PS4. It's at the point where it's not even worth it for Sony to get games like this exclusive. They get such a huge portion of the sales anyway.
Psst, the original RE2 was PS1 exclusive at release.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't read too much into any UK sales threads these days. Outside of some big overperformers, the market has changed in the last 2 years with one of the other big games retailers closing (Grainger) and people getting so fed up of GAME's shit that they have turned to digital or other untracked vendors.

What untracked vendors are you referring to? I got my copy through The Game Collection due to as you say not being so keen to pay GAME's prices but I'm 99.9% sure they and other online retailers will be tracked. Or am I mistaken?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's not worth it because at this point in the generation, people who want to play games like this mostly already own a PS4, so they'd be preaching to the converted.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake has sold 21% more than the original Resident Evil 2 released in 1998.

The franchise debuted in 1996 selling 21,500 units and becoming the fastest selling CD at that time, the record only lasted a few weeks because Formula One surpassed Resident Evil setting a new one week record with 30,000 units.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake has sold 21% more than the original Resident Evil 2 released in 1998.

The franchise debuted in 1996 selling 21,500 units and becoming the fastest selling CD at that time, the record only lasted a few weeks because Formula One surpassed Resident Evil setting a new one week record with 30,000 units.

Thanks, that's an interesting piece of info!

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I think pre launch-day, all around europe you had to buy digital deluxe to get the original soundtrack swap, the dlc costumes and the Samurai Edge Abert Model.

There was no way of securing the dlc package going physical (only with the 250€ collector's edition) and Capcom remained tight lipped 'til release day. This might have made some people going digital that otherwise wouldn't.

On the other hand you got the nice lenticular cover as a surprise with the retail version which also noone knew about.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Not really indicative of much when digital sales are now more than ever, and unfortunately not tracked yet.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noted in the NPD thread today RE2s opening in the US was also a bit softer than what I was expecting.

It's still doing damn well, and will open larger than RE7. But I had really high expectations for it and it's not quite meeting them at least on console.

Still a great success though even if it's not quite as high as I thought it could hit

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
It's worth noting that there are a lot more PS4 owners now than there were when RE7 came out.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I noted in the NPD thread today RE2s opening in the US was also a bit softer than what I was expecting.

It's still doing damn well, and will open larger than RE7. But I had really high expectations for it and it's not quite meeting them at least on console.

Still a great success though even if it's not quite as high as I thought it could hit
Do you have anything on Kingdom Hearts 3?

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense with less days tracked. I'm surprised RE7 did as well as it did as it was the exact opposite OG what I thought people wanted from the series. RE2 remake style is more up my alley.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
These UK sales threads need to come with a bright red warning at the top that UK numbers are inherently reflective of the idiosyncratic UK market only and not a measure of potential worldwide performance in any way.

I am getting tired of how we do this song and dance every time a major game releases where the UK numbers control the narrative about a game's overall commercial performance, before we finally get real numbers that matter to anybody who isn't British. It is just a complete waste of time that clouds the launch window sales of a game with misinformation and false positive signals of doing well or doing poorly.

But this thread shows the game did well. Launch aligned it'll have done around RE7 (if not better) and digital is probably making it even stronger than RE7s ratio. So it's a success story.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I fucking hate this mindset. It's an incredibly high-quality game with a decent amount of content and high replayability. Not everything needs to be a 40 hour padded as fuck open world.
Like it or not it's probably going to put a lot of people off this game myself included until it comes down in price. You may hate it but this is a sales thread and if sales are not as high as some other games that may be why. I think it's far too early to tell yet. I'm not interested in replayability and neither are a lot of people.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Were some really expecting a remake to perform much better than a brand new numbered sequel. This game sold great. Seems to be one if not the biggest launch of the year in the UK.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Right, but at the same time, look how well Resident Evil 2 (1998) sold on Xbox.

Psst, the original RE2 was PS1 exclusive at release.

wait, you guys aren't really suggesting that a lack of RE2 back then on Xbox is playing a part in sales split or how the xbox sku is performing, right? Sure hope so because that'd be ridiculous. You could ever argue the exact opposite (that being their first experience with a new, AAA+ remake of an iconic Resident Evil game, hyped it even more to the Xbox-only UK players)... if not for the fact that, again, it's a RIDICULOUS spin.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
wait, you guys aren't really suggesting that a lack of RE2 back then on Xbox is playing a part in sales split or how the xbox sku is performing, right? Sure hope so because that'd be ridiculous. You could ever argue the exact opposite (that being their first experience with a new, AAA+ remake of an iconic Resident Evil game, hyped it even more to the Xbox-only UK players)... if not for the fact that, again, it's a RIDICULOUS spin.
No, he was making a joke about how 26% split is better than a 0% one. I do think RE PlayStation ties played a small part though

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda intesting how out of step PC is when you look at these charts and how they're discussed. RE2 is a huge success on PC, but it is non-existent on the UK physical charts. If PC were a console, you'd have people talking about how PC releases are a waste of time due to having a 0% sales split.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Series typically associated with the PS brand still perform stronger on PS4

Tomb Raider
RE
JRPGs
The list goes on and on

That's not spin. Its that series associated with Playstation historically continue to have abnormally high splits than other multi platform titles