Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed that Nintendo still had these high quality voice files. Just makes me sad Square Enix didn't have higher quality voice files from Final Fantasy 12, or higher quality backgrounds from Final Fantasy 9 to put in their HD releases.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So according to you preservation = keeping it but locking it away secret? Am I reading that right? Cause I certainly don't see it this way. I think being able to analyze and appreciate the preservation is the important part of it personally but that's just me.

Which they absolutely do? Yes, we as the public do not have access to it, but they've also said that whenever a new project starts and research needs to be done, the people have access to their archives to do so. That's part of the game, we as the public, both with this and many, many, many, many, many other archival projects don't have access to that.
What you want and what archival means are two very different things. I'm all for them making this accessible, but completely understand why they don't.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

EARLY KOKIRI FOREST

1595713832572lyjgd.jpg

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Trying to follow along with the actual progress being made on SM64 is infuriating; the discord server this is happening on is full of shitposting.

EDIT: Oh, they just turned on slowmode, lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is all good good stuff. Was expecting from the dour tone that it was going to take a little more time to get progress on these games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
God, I really wish the Banjo-Kazooie beta was in here. THAT is a game I'd kill to see the behind the scenes data on.

Hopefully Rare has better software security than Nintendo lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That WR64 folder is probably gonna get ignored with Mario and Zelda and stuff, but I wonder if there could be anything about its early version, pre-jetskis

wave01.jpg

wave02.jpg

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
This stuff is amazing to finally see but I am surprised how shocked everyone is by some of it. Miyamoto has said in the past that they had a build of Mario 64 up with Luigi but they couldn't figure out how to get the camera to handle two people. I think it was also said that they picked the art style of Yoshis Island because he hated how DKC looked, so I'm not surprised to see that it actually started out as a DK game to really hit home that they could do it better.

I can't wait to see the Luigi stuff come to life though, and any more OoT stuff is going to be so cool.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Something I really loved in the Zelda 64 beta screenshots is stuff like the fog

Beta-Zelda.jpg

I know it was just done to obscure draw distance but it really added a sense of mystery and atmosphere to the early game previews

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
To keep things in perspective...

We'll probably find a few things, but it looks like these got scrubbed pretty hard.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
People are claiming the "L is real 2401" refers to the fact the latest Super Mario 64 leak is released 24 years and 1 month from the date of the release of Super Mario 64.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something I really loved in the Zelda 64 beta screenshots is stuff like the fog

Beta-Zelda.jpg

I know it was just done to obscure draw distance but it really added a sense of mystery and atmosphere to the early game previews
Same. I remember seeing the early Lost Woods pictures in a magazine before release, this one and the one with a Poe, and thinking how cool and mysterious it looked.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
If we could ever get some information on what the plans were for the Disk Drive so called "Ura Zelda" add on was to entail, I would be absolutely thrilled. I know they later claimed it was Master Quest but that doesn't have any of the stuff they mentioned for Ura Zelda.

If most of the Zelda files are empty though, I'm gonna assume we won't find anything and not get my hopes up.