Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't bank on this tbh. I'm sure "Russian govt" is being used as a catch all here. If Mueller found incontrovertible proof of Trump campaign figures colluding with Russian oligarchs, hackers like Guccifer 2.0, and Julian Assange, but not the Kremlim proper themselves -- and then Barr spun all of that as "absolutely no collusion" -- I cannot imagine the hell that that full report would unleash. :lol That would be such an egregious mischaracterization of the report that it would create an entirely and unnecessary new set of problems for them, and for Barr himself especially.

We don't need Muellers report to tell us if there was any collusion. We already know about the Don Jr trump tower meeting and Manafort giving proprietary polling data to a russian oligarch. That's collusion.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
I don't care what Sanders says, what Barr says, what the headlines of the day say, if the Trump admin and his lawyers are still fighting tooth and nail to keep the report from the public eye moving forward, I have no doubt in my mind there is something bad in it. I think Mueller just said here is what I found, congress do what you need to do, except Barr and Rosenstein took that upon themselves to make that determination instead of congress.

If this so called witch hunt was one after all, why spend anymore effort to keep it from the public eye? Why not let the world see just how much a joke Mueller and his investigation was? Unless of course there is damning stuff in their and your AG is trying to sweep it under the rug for you.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a new poll of the Chicago mayoral race by Temkin/Harris on behalf of WTTW-TV and Crain's Chicago Business.

500 LV, 3/18-3/20, MoE 4.4%
Lightfoot 53
Preckwinkle 17

That's an awful lot of undecideds for a poll this close to election day but obviously these numbers are brutal for Preckwinkle, whose campaign has been a total disaster since the first round ended. Both WTTW and Crain's have some limited reporting about the crosstabs although the general question is not who leads among each demographic group but rather by how much does Lightfoot lead. Really though it's been clear for a while that barring some major surprise, Lori Lightfoot is going to be Chicago's next mayor.

Oct 30, 2017
The thing I don't get about the report is it being submitted while investigations and trials were still ongoing. The timing seems really weird.

And if Trump really weren't guilty of any criminal actions, why the hell has he been acting shady as sbit for the last few years? Be sure didn't act like someone with nothing to hide.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The media goes out of their way to lie about the report (or rather, lack of report) in their headlines and Trump immediately starts a campaign slamming the media, they sure love the punishment. I'm sure they'll take their frustrations out on a AOC or something though. Gotta have some stress relief right?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The thing I don't get about the report is it being submitted while investigations and trials were still ongoing. The timing seems really weird.

And if Trump really weren't guilty of any criminal actions, why the hell has he been acting shady as sbit for the last few years? Be sure didn't act like someone with nothing to hide.
Because he has stuff to hide. We've seen clear evidence of loan fraud, tax fraud and felony campaign finance violations. We haven't even seen his taxes.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The media goes out of their way to lie about the report (or rather, lack of report) in their headlines and Trump immediately starts a campaign slamming the media, they sure love the punishment. I'm sure they'll take their frustrations out on a AOC or something though. Gotta have some stress relief right?

He creates a perfect environment for them. Non-stop ratings and tax cuts for their bosses.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a lot of things that don't make sense, it's why I'm waiting for the actual report.

A statement saying the President didn't obstruct justice from a guy that believes a President cannot obstruct justice, doesn't cut it for me.

Oct 30, 2017
Because he has stuff to hide. We've seen clear evidence of loan fraud, tax fraud and felony campaign finance violations. We haven't even seen his taxes.
That's the thing. We've seen him committing crimes right in the open. I mean, the guy openly obstructed justice on several occasions. He threatened witnesses openly! How were there no findings of any of this? Yes, I know it was Barr saying that, but there's been way too much evidence seen in Trump's daily behavior for there too have been no criminal activity.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
He creates a perfect environment for them. Non-stop ratings and tax cuts for their bosses.

I give WaPo/NYT more credit than that, i think they desperately want to be viewed as unbiased, so when they find something bad about Trump, they overcompensate by going easy on him when they can and hire abunch of partisan hacks to write op-eds for them, and overcompensate when criticizing democrats.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018

Isn't there still the case of that mystery company resisting a Mueller subpeona that is heading to the Supreme Court? How can he be done if that stuff is still up in the air. This just screams that Barr shut it down so he can shove it under a rug and hope people forget about over the next 2 years before 2020 elections.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That's the thing. We've seen him committing crimes right in the open. I mean, the guy openly obstructed justice on several occasions. He threatened witnesses openly! How were there no findings of any of this? Yes, I know it was Barr saying that, but there's been way too much evidence seen in Trump's daily behavior for there too have been no criminal activity.
The summary letter specifically mentions that there is *evidence* of obstruction of justice. You just have to read between the lines a bit. But that doesn't mean you have enough evidence to make it worth pursuing a conviction.

And to be fair, there's a lot of merit in that. You don't want to take a swing at Trump and have a jury rule in his favor.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Slate's article was interesting. I thought it was funny that so little evidence from the report would be cited that this certainly helps. The briefing with the FBI will undoubtedly yield more leaks, which makes the initial responses to this report look worse. There's still no telling how this well end.

More importantly, I await work from SDNY on Trump's crimes before office.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Isn't there still the case of that mystery company resisting a Mueller subpeona that is heading to the Supreme Court? How can he be done if that stuff is still up in the air. This just screams that Barr shut it down so he can shove it under a rug and hope people forget about over the next 2 years before 2020 elections.
>

Lawrence Hurley @lawrencehurley

NEW: Supreme Court rejects mystery company's challenge to Mueller-related grand jury subpoena

9:31 AM - Mar 25, 2019

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
So now that Mueller is done this mystery company just gets off the hook? Do they get fined $50K a day for the rest of eternity? There are too many loose ends for someone with Mueller's reputation to leave if there wasn't something gumming up the works. This company, Corsi plea deal, etc.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the counter intelligence investigation into Trump even finished or did it get handed off?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
We don't need Muellers report to tell us if there was any collusion. We already know about the Don Jr trump tower meeting and Manafort giving proprietary polling data to a russian oligarch. That's collusion.
I would agree, which is why I want to see how in the report Mueller reconciled these things with his determination of no collusion.

Jan 15, 2019
Here's a new poll of the Chicago mayoral race by Temkin/Harris on behalf of WTTW-TV and Crain's Chicago Business.

500 LV, 3/18-3/20, MoE 4.4%

That's an awful lot of undecideds for a poll this close to election day but obviously these numbers are brutal for Preckwinkle, whose campaign has been a total disaster since the first round ended. Both WTTW and Crain's have some limited reporting about the crosstabs although the general question is not who leads among each demographic group but rather by how much does Lightfoot lead. Really though it's been clear for a while that barring some major surprise, Lori Lightfoot is going to be Chicago's next mayor.
I haven't been following the Chicago race very closely. Could I get a summary as to the differences between Lightfoot/Preckwinkle and maybe some conjecture as to why Lightfoot has such a commanding lead?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know what Mueller determined, what we got yesterday was Barrs assessment of the report, which is obviously lacking 99% of Muellers findings.
well this goes back to my original point that you first quoted: either "no collusion with the Russian govt" is a catch all for no collusion with *any* Russians (in which case, how does that square with the Trump Tower meeting and giving polling data to Kilminik?) OR Barr massively mischaracterized Mueller's findings in only concentrating on collusion with specific govt officials and not collusion with any and all Russians.

Because if it's the latter, and the report does indicate that Trump campaign figures did collude with Russians, just not any who are in official government capacities, then Barr's memo creates a ton of new political and legal problem for a lot of people, most especially Barr. And while I find it hard to believe that something like the Trump Tower meeting doesn't qualify as collusion, I find it even harder to believe that Mueller determined it was collusion and Barr completely omitted it from his memo, despite having to know full well that the report's findings would come out at some point, and inviting new legal peril specifically on to himself.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
well this goes back to my original point that you first quoted: either "no collusion with the Russian govt" is a catch all for no collusion with *any* Russians (in which case, how does that square with the Trump Tower meeting and giving polling data to Kilminik?) OR Barr massively mischaracterized Mueller's findings in only concentrating on collusion with specific govt officials and not collusion with any and all Russians.

Because if it's the latter, and the report does indicate that Trump campaign figures did collude with Russians, just not any who are in official government capacities, then Barr's memo creates a ton of new political and legal problem for a lot of people, most especially Barr. And while I find it hard to believe that something like the Trump Tower meeting doesn't qualify as collusion, I find it even harder to believe that Mueller determined it was collusion and Barr completely omitted it from his memo, despite having to know full well that the report's findings would come out at some point, and inviting new legal peril specifically on to himself.

They don't have any intention of releasing the full report, and the last time Barr was involved in a special counsel investigation he told the president to just pardon everyone. He's not worried about the ramifications of being misleading with the report.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

If the mystery defendant is indeed the Qatari Investment Authority, it stands to reason this is where the whole Middle East nexus ended up. The Daily Beast reported late last year there are indictments to come: https://www.thedailybeast.com/get-ready-for-muellers-phase-two-the-middle-east-connection
In court filings that are set to drop in early 2019, prosecutors will begin to unveil Middle Eastern countries' attempts to influence American politics, three sources familiar with this side of the probe told The Daily Beast.
Various witnesses affiliated with the Trump campaign have been questioned about their conversations with deeply connected individuals from the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Israel, according to people familiar with the probe. Topics in those meetings ranged from the use of social-media manipulation to help install Trump in the White House to the overthrow of the regime in Iran.

Now, according to those same sources, the Special Counsel's Office is ready to outline what cooperating witnesses have told them about foreigners' plans to help Trump win the presidency. Two sources with knowledge of the probe said Mueller's team has for months discussed the possibility of issuing new charges on this side of the investigation.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017

Jesus fucking Christ these people. I can name 20 Trump supporters off the top of my head who by this same standard should never be allowed on television news ever again.

"Does this guest warrant further appearances in our programming, given the outrageous and unsupported claims made in the past?"

Trump himself does not meet this standard. And this ignores the fact that the campaign of the POTUS should not be trying to dictate to the press how to cover the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.