• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
1. The POTUS should claim Executive Privilege over these documents
2. Everything should be put on hold until POTUS makes that determination
3. If you don't wait for some arbitrary decision by POTUS--a decision that may never come--we will stop giving you mandated documents in other issues you're legally investigating
4. "Why do you make me hit you"?

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real weird play, because Privilege is a thing that either exists or it doesn't. It's not a hypothetical, or a bargaining chip.

If your argument is that you don't have to assert privilege, then it's not something worth having privilege over.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's a real weird play, because Privilege is a thing that either exists or it doesn't. It's not a hypothetical, or a bargaining chip.

If your argument is that you don't have to assert privilege, then it's not something worth having privilege over.
I mean, their goal in all this is clearly to stall until the election (if Trump loses, nobody will care, and if he wins, it won't matter).

But picking a fight over this reeks of desperation. Why is this contempt citation so important to him that he sends these petulant letters threatening retribution (as if you'd even be able to tell the difference) with such childish attempts at justification? And threatening a committee looking into the census question that knows it already lost is just... what? These cannot be serious people.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I was busy yesterday and missed this little nugget that gave me life.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/us/politics/trump-biden-iowa.html

After being briefed on a devastating 17-state poll conducted by his campaign pollster, Tony Fabrizio, Mr. Trump told aides to deny that his internal polling showed him trailing Mr. Biden in many of the states he needs to win, even though he is also trailing in public polls from key states like Texas, Michigan and Pennsylvania. And when top-line details of the polling leaked, including numbers showing the president lagging in a cluster of critical Rust Belt states, Mr. Trump instructed aides to say publicly that other data showed him doing well.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, their goal in all this is clearly to stall until the election (if Trump loses, nobody will care, and if he wins, it won't matter).

That's exactly it.
Every single one of these tactics is to delay things, they know that in order for the Democrats to win any legal challenges, they have to be given an opportunity to cooperate. It only buys them time.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Without Amash, we have a very good chance of flipping that seat. Grand Rapids keeps getting bluer and bluer. In fact, the mayor of the city could make a very credible run.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Democrat Eddie Mauro released an internal poll showing him trailing Ernst by... 25 and Teresa Greenfield by 22.

So we have some work to do.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Rep. Liz Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, privately battled with the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, where she raised questions about the direction of the party's campaign arm as they try to win back the chamber.

Rep. Tom Emmer of Minnesota used a members' only leadership meeting Monday night to press lawmakers about their contributions to the party committee. At one point, he questioned whether Cheney would continue to contribute campaign cash to the NRCC, according to multiple sources.

Cheney, the House Republican Conference chair who outranks Emmer, fired back that she has met her fundraising benchmarks and paid her party dues.

The Wyoming Republican — who is mulling a Senate bid after Sen. Mike Enzi declared his retirement — countered that some members are concerned Emmer is artificially inflating the fundraising numbers he brings in, according to sources. Cheney also told Emmers that some lawmakers are worried about the campaign arm's general strategy going forward as it seeks to rebuild the GOP's fortunes in 2020.

Tom Emmer as NRCC chair is going swell(ingly bad)

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

Smart to focus on foreign policy, addresses questions about his experience, makes him look "presidential" and covers ground others have not yet treaded in any meaningful way.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Democrat Eddie Mauro released an internal poll showing him trailing Ernst by... 25 and Teresa Greenfield by 22.

So we have some work to do.

If the presidential candidate takes Iowa then Ernst probably falls down too. She can look across the border and see what happened to a popular incumbent trying to ride against partisan lean (although Iowa's a genuine swing state, we can make the lean hard enough to get rid of her).

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
If the presidential candidate takes Iowa then Ernst probably falls down too. She can look across the border and see what happened to a popular incumbent trying to ride against partisan lean (although Iowa's a genuine swing state, we can make the lean hard enough to get rid of her).
Yeah, if we carry Iowa, we have a good shot at her, but Iowa's being Wack-Ass Ticket Splitting White People: The State makes me nervous.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

This transcript almost reads Trumpian, lol.

D80O9seXYAAE8Bh.jpg

D80O9sqXkAAdtu3.jpg

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You can disagree about the system of government working (I don't think Biden has said it's a perfect system, just that it functioned to establish a democracy and one-time most powerful nation on Earth), but he's not saying anything there that's especially newsworthy.

It's just a long-winded way of saying "try to get the votes you can, and knife 'em when they're not looking if you can't". Which I think is not really controversial, even for this thread?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
You can disagree about the system of government working (I don't think Biden has said it's a perfect system, just that it functioned to establish a democracy and one-time most powerful nation on Earth), but he's not saying anything there that's especially newsworthy.

It's just a long-winded way of saying "try to get the votes you can, and knife 'em when they're not looking if you can't". Which I think is not really controversial, even for this thread?
What I'm hearing is because McCain flipped on the obamacare repeal, he thinks than can happen everywhere. Which is absolute madness because getting three no votes against a disastrous republican bill is completely different from getting yes votes on anything that's a halfway decent step in the right direction.

So yes, I think that statement's quite controversial for anyone here but you.

Dec 6, 2018

He says that he would be able to replace noncomplying R seats in an off year election despite off year elections historically not favoring the executive branch, which happened exactly with Obama.

" It's called the Constitution" is a shit argument when people pretend it doesn't exist or load courts with judges that favor their policy. Without a real consequence lying in the system, I'd say the systems broken.

We're seeing what's happening with Amash, his epiphany is making him lose reelection. Pretending that the GOP is not actively working against people and that a solid 30-40% of people aren't just happy to continue voting straight R to stick it to the Libs is a bad joke.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm hearing is because McCain flipped on the obamacare repeal, he thinks than can happen everywhere. Which is absolute madness because getting three no votes against a disastrous republican bill is completely different from getting yes votes on anything that's a halfway decent step in the right direction.

So yes, I think that statement's quite controversial for anyone here but you.

I understand that, but what's the alternative? Republicans aren't falling out of power in the Senate for years.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Amash is a hardline Libertarian. Never forget. Hell, it's the reason he did what he did that got him this (and it wouldnt be the first time he was primaried for having an actual ideology other than "Yes mr donor" "Yes, mr. president")

Having as many Dems + over Individual-1 is a good sign a general rejection of him is still strong.

I'm also loving that the early Biden +13 in PA was written off as "oh, that's cuz he's born there" then like IA, NC, MI and others came in +double digits heheheh.

But picking a fight over this reeks of desperation. Why is this contempt citation so important to him that he sends these petulant letters threatening retribution (as if you'd even be able to tell the difference) with such childish attempts at justification? And threatening a committee looking into the census question that knows it already lost is just... what? These cannot be serious people.

After his bending earlier, why should Dems play too. Dragging this out for a chance at poisoning the messaging (aka: DEMS KEEP UP THE HEARINGS THEY'RE CLEARLY FEARSHITTING OVER THEM) is their only play.

*whispers*

Anyone else noticed that Barr isn't really...tossing spanners in the works like he could ala 1989? It's almost like he's running a PR shop outside of the bone-headed ACA non-defense and the main DoJ apparatus rumbles on below him untouched...I hope.

Yup.

I guess these R chucklefucks want a Dem in the seat.

It's not about who keeps the seat. It's about control and punishment.

They let Amash live poltically after showing a spine, morals, ethics, and patriotism, it shows the spineless morons that makes up a decent chunk of the GOP Congresscritter ranks that it's OK to state what they really think about all this.

Flake --> Dem
Corker --> Hold
Sanford --> Dem
Amash --> ???

Doesn't matter. They know the collective policing of each other with brutal, immediate ostracism is the only thing holding back complete chaos and retreat...for now.

Tom Emmer as NRCC chair is going swell(ingly bad)

I called it back in December when this rube sauntered into this position dismissing -23% with women, the suburbs blue-shifting, and Individual-1 as reasons for the House Beatdown that the House lead would not only grow but grow double digits and I feel more secure on that every time this goober opens his mouth.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't say anything about repeal. He was talking about passing the ACA (with no Republican votes) and the stimulus bill (with some Republican votes).

The point being that you go ahead with your agenda even if the votes aren't there (on the other side), but you still try to get them if you can, because sometimes you'll need them. The alternative is writing off everything outside reconciliation, because we'll never get to 60 votes again in this lifetime.

He says that he would be able to replace noncomplying R seats in an off year election despite off year elections historically not favoring the executive branch, which happened exactly with Obama.
He's making the point that first you try the carrot, then you get the stick.

His answer surely isn't helped by his folksy manner or his geriatric meandering (though he was always a bad candidate, even before he got really old), but the logic of what he's saying is pretty unremarkable.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
The stimulus and Lily Ledbetter were the only two big-ticket items that got GOP support in the Senate, and that was only Collins, Snowe, and Specter (who later became a Democrat) getting us over the line when we functionally had 57 seats (Kennedy hadn't died and was absent; Franken's election hadn't been settled; Specter was still in the GOP). People forget we only had an honest-to-god 60 seats from summer 2009 to January 2010, when Brown won MA.

I think the fact it took looming financial collapse to get three Republicans to break ranks says pretty much everything.

The House GOP were unanimous in their opposition to pretty much everything. The cap-and-trade bill passed because of 8 moderate GOP votes, but on every other major item, Democrats alone passed it. We could also afford to triage a lot of people because we had such a large majority, not that it helped us in 2010.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up watching on my phone. They mentioned this one guy who's planning to vote for Trump, and he said:

"I vote for someone who's going to protect and defend the Constitution.... and tell us the truth."

What in the fuck? People like him must be living in the same alternate reality as Trump does.
What he meant was "Muh guns and he's racist like me". When they say "the constitution" they mean gun rights, and the rest is always just racism.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I want nothing to do with Biden but if we seriously are dumb enough to nominate him then I'd prefer it if if he stuck with his Schtick and promised curing cancer and doubled down on his record and said he was the most pro climate and anti corporate man who ever lived

Like fuck it at this point.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

It's controvercial because it's absolutely useless.

This is a Republican Party helmed by McConnel. You can't "knife" something that's already soulless husk. And just coming off 8 years in the last D administration should have informed Biden of this.

It's like he's doing everything he can to snuff out every last bit of excitement in the Dem base.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's controvercial because it's absolutely useless.

This is a Republican Party helmed by McConnel. You can't "knife" something that's already soulless husk. And just coming off 8 years in the last D administration should have informed Biden of this.

It's like he's doing everything he can to snuff out every last bit of excitement in the Dem base.
I'm more convinced by the day that if he wins it will be what ends up killing the Democratic party (not right away but, it won't survive him).

*slinks away*

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Trump hold up that single sheet of totally unrelated paper and claim first it was the Mexico agreement and then quickly a "summary " of an extremely long and complicated document but that despite being our official trade policy it was secret.

I can't.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

"Yeah! Fuck the Republican who voted to give us Medicaid! We'll vote for the Trumpy candidate who speaks my language!" - Some prick, probably

Dec 6, 2018
He didn't say anything about repeal. He was talking about passing the ACA (with no Republican votes) and the stimulus bill (with some Republican votes).

The point being that you go ahead with your agenda even if the votes aren't there (on the other side), but you still try to get them if you can, because sometimes you'll need them. The alternative is writing off everything outside reconciliation, because we'll never get to 60 votes again in this lifetime.

He's making the point that first you try the carrot, then you get the stick.

His answer surely isn't helped by his folksy manner or his geriatric meandering (though he was always a bad candidate, even before he got really old), but the logic of what he's saying is pretty unremarkable.
I get that but when has that ever worked though for the party that holds the executive branch? When the GOP media machine is able to paint lifesaving policies as belonging to welfare queens and commies, pointless obstruction gets celebrated. Sure, you can strike a deal every once and a while but that only works if you have something to leverage or your willing to give up on a policy and the group of people that would benefit from that, I.e. public option.

Biden seems like he's living in 2008 still

Edit: McConnell blocked moderate Garland for a year without consequence and the whole party went for it. He put the government in shutdown and would have continued to do so if it weren't for the airport strikers, not the system of government. I'm tired of pretending that the system is not broken while the GOP can get off Scot free. I'm tired of the government not representing or serving a majority of people and benefiting off that

Last edited:

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Ok.

How about Alaska then. Murkowski basically has had to vote against Trumps entire agenda bar the time she was bribed.
She's up in 2022. Sullivan's up next year, and I think the race has been just a bit underrated. He barely won in 2014 when he beat Begich. But as Ogodei said, don't discount Iowa, especially if our nominee carries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.