The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Anyway, given the much-stated episodic nature of the game, I'm wondering if it may even be a true GamePass exclusive? i.e. cannot purchase or play without subscribing to the service.
Not a chance in hell that happens, going off current messaging. They've been pretty insistent on the whole "choice" thing which they reinforce by putting their games on Steam. They aren't going to put something in Game Pass exclusively any time soon because that betrays their messaging.
What does that even mean?
That they're more interested in working with Kojima and in any ideas that Kojima has or might have rather than any particular pitch that they were interested in. To me, that wording makes it seem like this partnership will likely be a multi-game partnership and that the Xbox team will be giving Kojima a lot of creative freedom on his game.

I'm curious what engine they'll use? No way it'd decima right...
Most likely not Decima, but it really would just depend on what kind of licensing agreement Kojima had with Sony with regards to the use of Decima, as well as what kind of issues there would be getting the engine to play well with Xbox hardware.

I don't think Grubb is making it up but I really, really want to know who his source is because it has to be fairly high up at Xbox
It's probably someone in the Xbox planning and strategies division if I had to guess. He's talked about a lot of the high level stuff about Xbox with a good degree of confidence (and even reported on it occasionally, so very confident there) and according to someone in the Xbox OT he once implied he's seen internal documents with all the information on their plans so that's my guess

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand what happened between him and Sony for this to happen. It seemed to be a really solid relationship with Death Stranding and Kojima using the Decima engine.
I'm very curious to see what may come of this, as a ps5 owner I'm more jealous of this than Bethesda, to be honest. Death Stranding was a masterpiece and the first truly original AAA game in years
probably a case of a bigger check

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Kojima has been talking about cloud gaming since Peace Walker days, this is very clearly something he's been meaning to do for ages. He even had an interview straight after Death Stranding released with the BBC saying this is something he wants to pursue now that the tech is here. Don't really care if Xbox or PlayStation are the ones to help bring this to life by color me highly interested.

This is from 2009
kotaku.com

Hideo Kojima Talks Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker And How You Can Help Him

Hideo Kojima hopes that the Metal Gear series will continue beyond his lifetime, the series mastermind told Kotaku during an interview mostly about his new game and a little bit about the times he has hid in cardboard boxes.
"I basically think that the future of gaming is less about platforms and more about cloud-computing, with a super-computer and people connecting to that,"

This is from 2019
Kojima thinks that streaming will change games. This is something that Google has talked about in regards to its Stadia platform. When games run on a massive server in the cloud, they shed some of the limitations of running on a box under your television. That could enable more persistent worlds. Or shared environments where every player action makes a permanent effect for others to discover or deal with.
"I'm very interested in the new format of game that will appear on [streaming]," said Kojima. "And that's what I want to take on."
www.bbc.co.uk

BBC Radio 1 - Newsbeat Documentaries, Death Stranding: Inside Kojima

Death Stranding is the first new game from Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima's new studio.
venturebeat.com

After Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima wants to make a game in the cloud

Hideo Kojima is going to begin moving on from Death Stranding soon, and he's looking at making movies and a cloud-streaming game.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
This should be good news for all the new partner studios sony is helping build. It means one day all those studios can also eventually makes games for xbox.

It's like the opposite of industry consolidation

May 8, 2021
Any source for that? It using the cloud implies that it will be a big ambitious big. It actually sounds like this deal could include multiple games. Maybe a smaller one and a bigger one.

lmao ok we heard you

Why lmao OK???

Anyway :

A VGC report has revealed that Google was talking to Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima about making an "episodic horror game" for the ill-fated cloud streaming platform, Google Stadia.

www.vg247.com

Cancelled Google Stadia projects reportedly include episodic Kojima Productions horror game

Reports detailing the situation behind Google Stadia's canceled projects shed a little light on a reported Kojima Produ…

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did "episodic" become synonymous with "low budget, small scale"?

Joking. I know exactly when.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Yea, that's the canceled Stadia game... This is a thread about the new Xbox game he's making. He also called that project major...

I mean it's probably the same basic pitch, right?

Who knows how big or small it would be, though. It's kind of hard to imagine an episodic, streaming game from Kojima

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Personally meh on the cloud aspect, but I'm interested to see what kind of ideas Kojima has for cloud based gaming.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Just found your constant posts about the same subject funny. About the article: it's not the same game. It could be a smaller episodic game, but i doubt Kojima Productions has the manpower to handle Death Stranding Director's Cut, this new game which seems really ambitious and a third larger project.
It also sounds like Kojima is pretty passionate about making a game using the cloud, and with MS's resources, it's pretty safe to assume that it's going to be an ambitious game.

May 8, 2021
Yea, that's the canceled Stadia game... This is a thread about the new Xbox game he's making. He also called that project major...

It is canceled for Stadia. Doesn't mean game itself is canceled.

Just found your constant posts about the same subject funny. About the article: it's not the same game. It could be a smaller episodic game, but i doubt Kojima Productions has the manpower to handle Death Stranding Director's Cut, this new game which seems really ambitious and a third larger project.

Whatever, take it how you want it. It is an episodic game ( the Stadia's game ) . Posted few days ago :

Abandoned is not from Kojima Kojima will sign a contract with Microsoft to publish his episodic horror project (the game Stadia). Microsoft is not going to buy the studio Sony would have refused the project because they did not like the episodic format

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, no new Kojima game for me lol.
Unless it's something related to Silent Hill, but that's not happening.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's get it, please don't be anything like Death Stranding at all.

I just wonder when we get to play it

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

There was that rumour that along with Bloober, Konami was outsourcing another SH game to a Japanese dev.

Feels very unlikely that Kojipro would make two horror games at the same time, though.

abdizzle

Jun 12, 2021
Do you think Grubb is making it up?
Nah I don't think he would do that. Maybe just bad info? It wouldn't be the first time he'd be wrong.
phil-spencer-kojima-be29f.jpg

Man literally has a lumines statue in his office, don't need an insider to tell you somethings going on.
C'mon now, that's it? That doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You've got some time to save up $300 for an XSS or you could pay $15 for one month of Game Pass and stream the experience. There will be plenty of affordable ways to "jump in."

May 17, 2018
Am I the only one who's doubting this thing is real? Outside of Grubb, what other insiders have corroborated this project? And this seems like a very high level convo, so I don't get how this could leak so quick, unless Grubb's source is Phil Spencer

Deals like these aren't like, phone calls between just Phil and Hideo. Multiple people at MS and KP would be involved, plenty to room for a leak.

I will agree it's a bit weird he's the only one hearing about it, seemingly, unless I missed it somewhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
When did "episodic" become synonymous with "low budget, small scale"?

Joking. I v exactly when.

Telltale? Not sure, I can't think of any big budget episodic games besides the first Hitman. The format seems to lend itself to smaller games with quicker development cycles.

I'm sure whatever Kojima makes will be ambitious regardless of format.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait. Since peacewalker and V's FOB online it seems his ideas have been trending towards connection, and Death Sttranding really put that forward both with themes and the "strand" mechanics (yes silly name but the way the game uses persistent change based on other players actions along with likes feeds into the connectivity/community themes) makes me real excited for what he can do with cloud and if we will ever see the end result of the idea that seems to have been germinating for awhile now.

May 8, 2021
You didn't give anything lol. This article specifically says this deal isn't for a specific pitch, but to pretty much let Kojima make what he wants.

Yes i did. Since you said next Kojima's game is a major one. Did some research

EDIT :
Hideo Kojima has claimed he recently had a "major" in-development project cancelled.

Kojima has reportedly said he'd like to work on multiple projects alongside his studio's next "big" game, which has been hinted to be a horror title.

One person with knowledge of the studio's plans told VGC it had also opened early discussions about making a project for Google Stadia. However, it's not clear if those discussions developed.

Stadia's head of games, Jade Raymond, visited Kojima Productions in July 2019, and the designer has previously expressed a desire to explore a "new format of game" enabled by cloud gaming platforms.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Hideo Kojima claims he recently had a ‘major project’ cancelled | VGC

“I’m pretty pissed, but that’s the games industry for you”…

So, major canceled game is Stadia's game which would be a episodic cloud based horror game. Now Kojima will make that game for Xcloud. Rumors fits perfectly. Yeah, an episodic one