• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
No developer deserves a blank check especially Kojima. He needs to learn how to manage his game production better. He is not good at it which is why Konami and Sony (for now) parted ways.

Lol, the people behind Kojima Productions just established a whole new studio and put out a AAA game in the span of 4 years, that's super incredible. See here:

We can all go back and forth about what we think about Death Stranding as a video game experience, but I think it's pretty uncontroversial to point out what an incredible achievement the game was in terms of its production and project management. In the span of releasing MGSV and getting fired from Konami in 2015 to releasing Death Stranding in 2019, all the people behind the game managed;
  • Breaking away from Konami and establishing a new studio from scratch
  • Getting new offices, setting up everything as a company in terms of legal work, insurance, healthcare, etc.
  • Finding a publisher willing to fund a AAA game in the age of volatility for third-party studios without any publisher backing them
  • Getting some of the old talent from Konami and hiring new talent as well
  • Investing in new computers and software, establishing pipelines, project management, etc.
  • Familiarizing themselves with a new engine and toolsets via the Decima Engine thanks to Guerilla Games & Sony (not even sure how Japanese support is with that?)
  • Getting famous actors on board and do face-scan, voice-acting, mo-cap work, recreate assets from scratch
  • Be able to make a completely new game with entirely new mechanics and new assets in AAA quality (obviously with support by Guerilla Games and others)
  • Do all the above in the span of ~48 months
Compare this with how much money and time have been spent on establishing new studios and getting high quality games out the door by the likes of Bioware Montreal, EA Motive, WB Montreal, Amazon's Lumberyard game studios, Google's Stadia efforts, 343 Industries' continuing struggles, and so on. With AAA games taking up almost 5-6 years by *already* established studios, I don't know what type of magic (or labor?) all the talented people at Kojima Productions put into developing Death Stranding.

When you consider how many struggles and difficulty you see so many publishers are having with establishing new AAA studios and getting out games, it's astonishing what Kojima & Co. achieved, imo, in the span of under 4 years. The project management appeared to be crazy effective.

www.resetera.com

Death Stranding was such a monumental achievement from a production standpoint

We can all go back and forth about what we think about Death Stranding as a video game experience, but I think it's pretty uncontroversial to point out what an incredible achievement the game was in terms of its production and project management. In the span of releasing MGSV and getting fired...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm fine with whatever deal gets Kojima's games on Steam/PC faster.

It's great to see that his team seems to be getting plenty of attention/work.

Mark Cerny and the playstation team was assisting Kojima and his company with making milestones in development. In other words, he has to be somewhat babied through the game development.

No developer deserves a blank check especially Kojima. He needs to learn how to manage his game production better. He is not good at it which is why Konami and Sony (for now) parted ways.

It's amazing how "smart" these posts are.

Jeebus, lmao.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Let him make P.T.
I'm too scared to play it anyways so it doesn't matter what platform it releases on...

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
It's rather a weird description, sure that's how it goes but it's just weird reporting, deal or not. Can't we just get the game announcement instead when that comes.

Sounds like they're investing in his company more than just a single IP. Maybe giving him a relatively blank cheque and asking him to help grow their cloud gaming business.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Wasn't the heart of DS essentially cloud based. All the world sharing and community building infrastructure.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
there is no hardline definition for what "cloud-based" means in this context, especially for a game that basically doesn't exist yet.

Nobody knows what this is exactly yet outside of maybe a few people.

It's not a "streaming only" title. So yes, there is a definition by knowing what it's not. You can deduce that the game will be using cloud based services heavily a la Crackdown 3, and Flight Sim. It's not really some magical thing to figure out.

TBF I didn't till you explained it in the discord
:D

May 10, 2019
j4c2kxqx53tazehh9ytq.gif

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think after DS they would have tried to go with sony for their new game? Seems likely to me, so if their visions didn't fit anymore at that point he went with others like stadia and then MS. I don't really view that as losing Kojima if Sony themselves said no to his new project.
Why do people think that an experimental cloud project is the only thing that Kojima Productions has in the pipeline to support its business?

From a Famitsu interview in early 2020:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please no more Death stranding nonesense Kojima. Otherwise, can't wait.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
If this really is a horror project, I'm over the moon with excitement for this lmao

Oct 12, 2020
I don't think I've played a Kojima game, so I'm ready and willing to be wowed by whatever this video game legend brings to my Series X.

I'm intrigued and it feels good to know my continued investment into the Xbox ecosystem is going to be rewarded with things like this. Who knows what Phil and company are going to do next?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Platform warring

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm in for whatever he's up to

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Kojoma needs to learn how to manage a project better? Why? For what reasons?

Because we don't get games fast enough to meet our needs? Because mega corps have to spend a lot of money to make them. Oh nooo.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel. I enjoyed parts of Death Stranding quite a bit.
But overall it was bad. And it really impacted any interest I have in future Kojima projects.

I have zero interest in actually playing anything he makes.

But no interest in his projects? It is almost a guaranteed clusterfuck that will stretch across years to massive fanfare. If that isn't interesting in the game industry then what is?

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I have zero interest in actually playing anything he makes.

But no interest in his projects? It is almost a guaranteed clusterfuck that will stretch across years to massive fanfare. If that isn't interesting in the game industry then what is?

That's true. I'll watch closely out of curiosity.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This is such a weird "article". The deal reached a milestone? But then there is no deal, just a letter of intent? So there is nothing? What are you even reporting on? I can't remember anything like this ever being reported on as "news."

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
This is such a weird "article". The deal reached a milestone? But then there is no deal, just a letter of intent? So there is nothing? What are you even reporting on? I can't remember anything like this ever being reported on as "news."
Maybe because Xbox getting an exclusive japanese game, let alone an exclusive *Kojima* game, is a pretty big deal?