• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My take is that "imagine what they could have done with it" refers to open world. People will read open world as Ubisoft style, but just imagine what From can actually do with that.
That's a good guess/possibility too, yeah. That said I always prefer From's semi-open worlds than the massive Ubi-worlds, so I'm more than cool with them just expanding on what they have (to the point of having horses, possibly) but not going full Ubi.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Less than 20 days till E3. Hype is through the roof for me. There is nothing like the feeling of exploring a brand new world made by Fromsoftware.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Less than 20 days till E3. Hype is through the roof for me. There is nothing like the feeling of exploring a brand new world made by Fromsoftware.
Same here.
Whenever I see this thread resurface I get excited that actual information about their next project might get a little leak. Until then we are holding tight until E3. (=

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018
I think "Great Rune" is awful and I really hope it's not the name of the game. In the long run it doesn't really matter much I guess.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Man I was doubting the Norse setting hard a couple of days ago due to it coming from 4chan but with all this Rune talk, I don't know anymore. The name Great Rune has spread like wildfire.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Man I was doubting the Norse setting hard a couple of days ago due to it coming from 4chan but with all this Rune talk, I don't know anymore. The name Great Rune has spread like wildfire.
I got the impression in this thread that people should not fall into that "rune" rumor "runemor" and that we will be surprised what is actually revealed. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I got the impression in this thread that people should not fall into that "rune" rumor "runemor" and that we will be surprised what is actually revealed. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

I'm still in the Dark Souls aesthetic camp but this whole Norse thing is literally everywhere now. My entire feed on youtube has thumbnails of vikings with the Fromsoft logo on it. The surprise might also not be tied to a specific setting, it can be gameplay related afaik or have people hinted otherwise?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Great Rune? As in caryll runes and great ones?
It's BB spiritual multiplatform sequel,i solved the puzzle.
Try harder next time miyazaki.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
How hard do you guys think they'll push the GRRM's name when promoting this game?
I know it's just marketing and wont affect the end product but I kinda dont want to have it plastered all over the trailers, boxart, promos etc

I'm still in the Dark Souls aesthetic camp but this whole Norse thing is literally everywhere now. My entire feed on youtube has thumbnails of vikings with the Fromsoft logo on it. The surprise might also not be tied to a specific setting, it can be gameplay related afaik or have people hinted otherwise?
Dont give up to the pressure!! Omni claimed most people on the other thread were "working themselves into a shoot over nothing" and tbh that thread is 80% arguing whether or not norse setting is something desirable

For me, its the Dark Souls aesthetic with a twist camp (so as close as possible to ds but a bigger visual distinction than des to ds)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This is what i thought too, I never heard anything regarding codename SPRJ
This pic is in the files of the BB alpha, big snuffles as the loading screen
large_7992195e6b4cc0d5877ec2709cfd8614.jpg

FROM build a bear workshop.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
How hard do you guys think they'll push the GRRM's name when promoting this game?
I know it's just marketing and wont affect the end product but I kinda dont want to have it plastered all over the trailers, boxart, promos etc

Dont give up to the pressure!! Omni claimed most people on the other thread were "working themselves into a shoot over nothing" and tbh that thread is 80% arguing whether or not norse setting is something desirable

For me, its the Dark Souls aesthetic with a twist camp (so as close as possible to ds but a bigger visual distinction than des to ds)

If it's Bandai publishing, probably hard. Yeah I saw Omni's image, I just don't know if it was referring to the setting or the fact that people were doubtingly throwing around the term "fully open world" and giving examples of Ubisoft games. Maybe even the degree of Martin's involvement.

That thread got filled with Norse talk and whether or not it's been overused in gaming instead of interesting speculation of what their next title can include.

Last edited:

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
It is still unclear to me if that GreatRune subreddit is just a coincidence or what.
Apparently it's owned by someone who also modded for the ds and bloodborne subreddits so there's that connection...
I really dislike that name but I think I'd feel the same way about "dark souls" if I knew nothing about the game.
This "Great rune" could also be the item that was talked about in the leak, i recall something about knights getting lost in their search for some magical item

Oct 25, 2017
Great Rune is a trash name.

But this is a developer called From Software, who gave us fucking Demon's Souls.

We'll get used to the trash name once we see some footage.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017

A lot of the debate in that thread was over the open world and preset characters as well. Omni's "debunking" of the rumor was pretty cryptic as usual, and seemed to be more about jumping the gun and rushing to judgment than debunking any specific aspect of the rumor. I suspect what we've learned is largely true, but not the whole picture. (Would love for it to be Dark Souls with a twist, too!)

Edit:
Remember when Shadows Die Twice was a survival horror Kuon successor?
And then it wasnt?
Or maybe the rumor is completely off lol

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, I'm really wondering what part of the rumour is untrue. The Norse setting? The engine? The three characters to choose from?
Great Rune is a trash name.

But this is a developer called From Software, who gave us fucking Demon's Souls.

We'll get used to the trash name once we see some footage.
Kinda where I'm at tbh.

I don't think Martin isn't great at titles either, at least with regards to his biggest series (I do like "A Song of Ice and Fire" despite it being quite generic, as well as "A Game of Thrones", "A Dream of Spring"... but fuck are most of that series' titles bland).

Oct 26, 2017
So if the project name Great Rune is legit, then maybe that's why some people assumed (incorrectly it seems) it had a Norse setting? It seems someone learned of the name, ran with it and made up the rest.

I know it's just marketing and wont affect the end product but I kinda dont want to have it plastered all over the trailers, boxart, promos etc.

If Bamco is indeed the publisher you can bet your ass his name is gonna be everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
And then it wasnt?

So the name Great Rune is true, GRRM is probably true, the specifics like the setting are wrong.

Gotcha.

EDIT: Maybe we should look into Lost Kingdoms for some clues? Since that's called Rune in Japan.

Would fit with their current MO of reviving old franchise ideas with new names and with their current style injected.

Echo Night -> Déraciné
Tenchu -> Sekiro
Rune -> Great Rune?

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this true and I'm not being jerked around lol. Sekiro just came out so I dunno.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am really happy Sekiro sold well, and excited for the direction they are heading towards.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
And then it wasnt?

I feel targeted. I even played through Kuon for the science and was linking images of bloody ropes and item descriptions from the game.

Then came E3 and what looked to be Nioh related. Screen went dark.

FROM SOFTWARE

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
C'mon guys, this maintenance is done to install the servers needed to handle all the overwhelming hype that Omni's next tease will cause.

I'm ready for it.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The State of Play trailer already broke it, imagine when we get a release date and Tifa lol.

The From Software game also has a good chance of that, especially if it's really a GRR Martin joint collaboration. Really can't wait to see more or get, huh, some teases :(