Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Seems perfectly inline with the trajectory for the series for it to take place in a school now.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Didn't anime invent characters going to school or some shit?
giphy.gif
I really don't understand why this is so hard for you and others to understand. School settings are everywhere in Japanese media and they often share a ton of common tropes and traits. People are seeing this game and its school setting and inferring it will have similar elements. It's not at all hard to understand or conclude.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why this is so hard for you and others to understand. School settings are everywhere in Japanese media and they often share a ton of common tropes and traits. People are seeing this game and its school setting and inferring it will have similar elements. It's not at all hard to understand or conclude.
Then how about waiting to see if it actually have those apparent tropes before going "oh my goodness there's a SCHOOL IN THIS GAME!??!?" "FUCKING GRABAGE TRASH THIS SERIES IS DEAD TO ME."

I'm convinced half you people are just going into this wanting to hate it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Now I say this as someone who never got into Fire Emblem or strategy RPGs in general, so I realize my opinion isn't worth much, but I was sorta disappointed that it wasn't going in more of a Harry Potter direction. As I was watching the trailer (I love the art style) I was thinking it'd be neat if you played primarily as one of the students and then you could have an interesting blend of more mundane school life challenges and big epic war challenges. Shrug.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Then how about waiting to see if it actually have those apparent tropes before going "oh my goodness there's a SCHOOL IN THIS GAME!??!?" "FUCKING GRABAGE TRASH THIS SERIES IS DEAD TO ME."

Some people just don't like stuff. Anime is often incredibly derivative and with the school setting probably being the most common across every conceivable genre and medium it's not surprising a lot of people have already made up their minds.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok. I'll bite. What "bad anime tropes" are you seeing here that weren't already in the series before. And no "going to school" isn't an anime trope. Especially a medieval combat school.
Absurdly young looking professor, for one.

Why does Intellegent Systems deserve the benefit of the doubt? What makes them different from any other producer of Japanese media that uses this setting?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its new. we will se how it will play out.
generally its just a small army or mercenary group or similar lead by the main character while some major conflict is happening and you are actively fighting in said conflict.

from the trailer i guess it will be similar except it starts way before the big war that will ineviatbly happen (because its Fire emblem)

Oh, okay. It's five months away and I'll definitely be doing more research on the game as it gets closer to launch. Thanks.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Care to point me to the old people protagonist in Fire Emblem?

Outsides the Jagen's were lucky if the heroes of this series break their 20's.
The Protagonists of past games are princes or princesses which imply youth in fiction. A Professor is a position of authority, implies being learned, experienced and older. Surprise, this game is going for a young professor which is surprise surprise common in Japanese school media.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people just don't like stuff. Anime is often incredibly derivative and with the school setting probably being the most common across every conceivable genre and medium it's not surprising a lot of people have already made up their minds.
That seems really closed minded to me but whatever. I think the game is looking really cool and if they don't want it no skin of my nose.

Though I look forward to them continually coming into threads over a game they've already decided they hate just to remind everyone enjoying the game how much they hate it.
Why does Intellegent Systems deserve the benefit of the doubt? What makes them different from any other producer of Japanese media that uses this setting?
You're right much better to just automatically decide the game must be crap. I'm sorry what was I thinking basing my views of this game off the footage actually present. I should judge all games based of things I don't like but must assume will be in it.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
The Protagonists of past games are princes or princesses which imply youth in fiction. A Professor is a position of authority, implies being learned, experienced and older. Surprise, this game is going for a young professor which is surprise surprise common in Japanese school media.

tbh, This kinda depends on Cecilia's age in FE6 but her relationship with Roy (being his teacher) then being a spouse option is definitely up there on the icky scale.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You're right much better to just automatically decide the game must be crap. I'm sorry what was I thinking basing my views of this game off the footage actually present. I should judge all games based of things I don't like but must assume will be in it.
Are you not assuming it will be good? Why are you allowed to assume that while others aren't?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't answer my question.

When have any protagonist in any of these games been old dudes? You jumping through hopes to justify it when it's convient for you doesn't change anything.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Every time they show this game I become less and less interested unfortunately. There hasn't been a single reveal or trailer that got me even the slightest bit hyped. I hope they'll change my mind by launch.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You didn't answer my question.

When have any protagonist in any of these games been old dudes? You jumping through hopes to justify it when it's convient for you doesn't change anything.
I'm explaining to you why it's an issue here, because a young professor is a bad anime trope, which you asked about in the first place. Youre side stepping the whole conversation because you don't like the answer you got.

Though I look forward to them continually coming into threads over a game they've already decided they hate just to remind everyone enjoying the game how much they hate it.
Bruh, you were in it with me in all those Let's Go threads dunking on it. I don't know why you've now suddenly changed your tune for a different game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you not assuming it will be good? Why are you allowed to assume that while others aren't?
I'm assuming based on the shit I've actually scene vs most of the people dismissing it of something they assume is going to be there.

They reveal you can make do all the marriage stuff in this game with all the characters? Complain away(not like it'll stop people even if it doesn't happen) but I just don't get people apparently just thinking it's already to anime. I like anime, I admit I'm biased.

But this already looks so much less "anime"(whatever the fuck that means) then Fates. It just confuses me.

If you still decide you hate it? Fine it's ultimately not my business. But I just have no freaking clue how some people can be so picky of this footage.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm explaining to you why it's an issue here, because a young professor is a bad anime trope, which you asked about in the first place. Youre side stepping the whole conversation because you don't like the answer you got.

Bruh, you were in it with me in all those Let's Go threads dunking on it. I don't know why you've now suddenly changed your tune for a different game.
I stopped(mostly) going into Let's Go threads for a reason. Even I was getting sick of how angry I was getting over a game I had no intention of playing.

You picked a very vague trope(young professor) called it bad,which I don't get since it's such a vague plot device. So I don't get how it's a "bad anime trope" when it's simply falling inline with the series history.

But what ever I'm done. I'm going to enjoy the game and I hope you find something you'll be able to enjoy.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this was like Harry Potter.... So much anime in this five minute trailer.

Can't wait to have teacher/student relationships!

What the fuck happened to intelligent systems? Are these even the same people who made Advance Wars?
Nothing happened to them. They follow trends.

I'm surprised to see the reaction here being so negative. This is a huge improvement over Fates, both in the world building and character design department.

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
Absolutely hate these stupid anime garbage kind of settings. I never get the Japanese's obsession over school life, like, what's so appealing about it? I don't understand it, but some Japanese seems to think high school romance is the most interesting thing on earth.

To be frank, I love Fire Emblem too much to skip a mainline installment, but I'm serious worried regarding the franchise's future now. I was so excited about a console-style FE game after more than a freaking decade. I like every console FE while disliking many of the handheld counterparts, except maybe New Mystery and SoV. (which are remakes of console games. Yes, I'm not a fan of the GBA games. Fight me, westerners.) I was so ready for Three Houses to return to console glory, which it kind of does in some ways, like how many of us got the Tellius vibe back when the E3 trailer came out last year. But now, I'm not sure I'm ready for "Fire Emblem but it's Persona".

I really do not like the direction the series is heading and I feel like it's a proof of how "dev turning younger" isn't necessarily a good thing, at least in Japan. Some people in this new generation of Japanese are really weird.

Last edited:

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It actually seems a lot closer to a university setting, not really sure where people are getting "anime high school" from. A lot of locations actually specifically remind me of my uni.

On that note, I don't especially care. The uni hub doesn't much affect the main point I'm playing, i.e on field battles. You'll do a few customs and be on your way, more if you're into relationship stuff. Either way it's all just prep for battle.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent

What matters to me is if they can make the school setting work in tandem with everything else going on in the continent. It certainly can be done.

I honestly hope they don't rethread the format made by Persona or Cold Steel because it can and should be improved.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You say that, but the female Avatar looks awful.

Plus I really don't like the art style they went with. Very bland.
I mean I'm not a fan of that design either, but it's not outrageously pandering like many of the female character designs in Fates. It's not good but it doesn't stand out as, like, particularly awful or anything.

The designs are clearly otome influenced, you may not like that style but many people do and it shows they are trying to appeal to a wider audience...which is good.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
You're kidding yourself if you don't think there'll be truly messed up teacher-student interactions, lol. I'm not optimistic about it. I don't know, I'll wait for more info, but I wish I never had to play a game with a school setting ever again. At least not a Japanese one.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm not a fan of that design either, but it's not outrageously pandering like many of the female character designs in Fates. It's not good but it doesn't stand out as, like, particularly awful or anything.

The designs are clearly otome influenced, you may not like that style but many people do and it shows they are trying to appeal to a wider audience...which is good.

is-it-though-5b0c0c.jpg

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually dont mind the school setting, but the designs are so bland. Huge step down for the series, everyone is now distinguished by hair color or if they wear a hat. Really disappointing

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

It is not bad because it is pander-y. It is bad because they tried to low key pander and just ended up with a character design that makes little sense.

Sure it could be worse, but it is pretty crap. Especially compared to the infinitely superior male design.

I was a fool to think that the female design would just be a slightly curvy version of the male design.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually dont mind the school setting, but the designs are so bland. Huge step down for the series, everyone is now distinguished by hair color or if they wear a hat. Really disappointing
That's just their school uniforms though. They get more unique designs when you promote them.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
First impression is that it's not as awful as it could have been, but I couldn't be more tired of the school setting so it's definitely a mark against it and another indication of the demo Nintendo is aiming for with this IP.

More so I'm trying to figure out how I feel about the art style. I hate the school outfits but not sure if I like the faces? Some look good, others look like generic F2P mobile game characters.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is not bad because it is pander-y. It is bad because they tried to low key pander and just ended up with a character design that makes little sense.

Sure it could be worse, but it is pretty crap. Especially compared to the infinitely superior male design.

I was a fool to think that the female design would just be a slightly curvy version of the male design.
Sure, I agree. But overall the designs are pretty good, and more grounded.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm indifferent. Hopefully it works well (like how are they gonna handle the relationship stuff cuz that can easily get hella creepy?) and there's still some political intrigue to the story.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Getting strong Valkyrie Chronicles 2 vibes and that game was super disappointing (and the story was pretty awful). I'll be waiting for reviews rather than picking this one up on release day unless future info/trailers can change my mind.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
In regards to context for these assorted school-based strategy games, I think there's a little bit of a difference between military academies for not-quite WWII in VC2, and something like fantasy medieval knight academies, which seem to be more of an established thing in the fantasy genre beyond the conventions of ""anime"" storytelling.

Seems fine for a change of pace from the usual ragtag bands of mercenaries/freedom fighters. We'll have to to see how it fits into the gameplay as a whole.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Man, Persona and Harry Potter are kind of exactly the stuff I don't want this game to be like, aside from like straight-up creepy fetishy stuff

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sure, I agree. But overall the designs are pretty good, and more grounded.
They're less audacious and pandery for sure which is an improvement but I mean of the three other female characters we saw a decent amount of they're all in short skirts and high heel boots. Petra is in a super short tight pencil skirt jumping around in combat, Bernadetta has a more traditional skirt yet it's so short and flowing she needs to wear bike shorts underneath to avoid an instant pantie shot(which I guess is a plus?). It would be one thing if they were all dressed somewhat similarly to Edelgard who still has a bit more feminine attire compared to the male characters, but they're clearly not.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's largely fine and probably potentially more interesting because it seems like they're actually using the thematic flavor of a school in their mechanics than just a narrative coating with no real consequence. In general, it seems like the setting has a good sense of cohesion to it. I also expect that just the school setting isn't going to entirely last, it seems rather obvious that you don't have these three continental powers in balance and don't have something disrupt it.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017