• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
But if you've got an Italian last name or come from an Italian family, you can go to a lot of places on the east coast and be considered Italian by the community. Same goes for Greek, Hungarian, Polish, etc.

It's not as strong as it used to be, since everyone's been getting smeared into the generic "white" category for the last 40 years, but if you've got a last name that ends in a vowel, it's still there.

I would probably argue that Italian-American, Polish-American, Russian-American, and so forth, are distinct ethnic subgroups (i.e., they are distinct (white) ethnic communities that are not accepted or entirely accepted as members of their ancestral ethnic communities). I'm not sure how this intersects with identities like Japanese-American or Chinese-American, so I don't want to overextend here. That said, I think you could run the same argument from my post on those communities. Someone who identifies as Italian-American might not be accepted as Italian (culturally, linguistically, or what have you) by an Italian person. Like I have been arguing, ancestry is an important part of identification with some ethnic groups, but in general ethnicity as a concept is distinct from ancestry.

Here is an example. I recently watched an advertisement for a genetic testing company. The subject of the advertisement was your typical white North American. The person discovers that they have Italian ancestry, and suddenly develops an interest in pasta dishes. What is this commercial attempting to illustrate? Is there something about this person's genetic heritage that makes them like pasta? That makes them believe they should like pasta? I'm not sure, but my intuition is that we are seeing racist tropes play out on the level of ethnicity and culture.

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I am Australian, but my family is Welsh/Scottish on one side and English/ Southwestern French/ Breton on the other. I identify with some sort of European mongrel group.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I've worked with Census data alot, and around a lot of people who have long worked in Census data. We've always wondered who answers "American" on the Census ancestry questions. Only about 6 percent of Americans report as you do. Now I know.
I'm born and raised in the US. When would I identify as, German or whatever?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Hispanics are some of the most racially diverse people on the planet. :) You probably be surprised to find out how diverse you are! I follow Ancestry subreddits and Latin Americans always have a little bit of everything. Native American, Spanish/Iberian//French/Italian/Sephardic Jewish/Arab etc

Yeah my wife is half Mexican and her 23 and me lights up the globe. And it's her Mexican side because her dad is 100% north European from the testing.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm born and raised in the US. When would I identify as, German or whatever? And it's obviously not just me as there are a bunch of others in this thread that answered American.
I think both "American" or "German American" or xyz American works. It's how you feel you should identify yourself. German American can be considered it's own ethnic group.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
White/Italian/Polish

My last name is Italian but I think I look more Polish than anything else, especially my facial hair. I've got some German/Jewish in there too from my mother's side.

I have no personal interest or connection to any non-American cultures though so really I guess I'm just a generic American white dude.
What is polish facial hair to you?

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I'm just a white dude. I avoid "identifying" as American because I hate that shit. The Pacific Northwest specifically is what I'm culturally connected to the most. I'd be happy to just say I'm from the PNW and cut out the "America" part.

Genetically, all Irish and that's where my family was from, but I don't really use it in a context outside of that and genealogy.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I would probably argue that Italian-American, Polish-American, Russian-American, and so forth, are distinct ethnic subgroups (i.e., they are distinct ethnic communities that are not accepted or entirely accepted as members of their ancestral ethnic communities). I'm not sure how this intersects with identities like Japanese-American or Chinese-American, so I don't want to overextend here. That said, I think you could run the same argument from my post on those communities. Someone who identifies as Italian-American might not be accepted as Italian (culturally, linguistically, or what have you) by an Italian person. Like I have been arguing, ancestry is an important part of identification with some ethnic groups, but in general ethnicity as a concept is distinct from ancestry.

Here is an example. I recently watched an advertisement for a genetic testing company. The subject of the advertisement was your typical white North American. The person discovers that they have Italian ancestry, and suddenly develops an interest in pasta dishes. What is this commercial attempting to illustrate? Is there something about this person's genetic heritage that makes them like pasta? That makes them believe they should like pasta? I'm not sure, but my intuition is that we are seeing racist tropes play out on the level of ethnicity and culture.

I agree with the bolded part of your post. Unless they actually immigrated from Italy, there aren't any Italians in the States, and they wouldn't be recognized as such back in the old country, but if a 4th generation person says, "I'm Italian," it's always an identification with their ethnic community in the US. I'm sure there's a sentimental or romantic identification with the old country, but I don't think it goes far.

As far as the genetic testing commercials go, I think they're playing on the need for a lot of people to identify with something more interesting than Basic Blanco. As people left the ethnic enclaves, began inter-marrying with other ethnicities, and moved out to the suburbs, I think their children & grandchildren developed a disconnect from any real identification with a community, and the commercials are meant to appeal to those people.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm really white. I think my ancestry is German and a more distant Irish. I don't think about it too much aside from my place of privilege. I'm just a southern Californian dude.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm born and raised in the US. When would I identify as, German or whatever?

People certainly identify their ethnicities as where they're born. Some people - particularly here in the US - have closer ties to their respective immigrant groups than others. I've really never come across someone identifying their ethnicity/ancestry as American before, so you're among the first! I identify closely with the Irish immigrant community of my grandparents because that's the community I grew up in. Other parts of my ancestry I don't identify as closely with either because relatives did not pass on that knowledge and partially because some of that cultural knowledge was destroyed.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I am a mixture.. Father is mixed with white/black, mother is Indian, i have chosen to identify myself as Indian makes life easier when filling out forms..

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
People certainly identify their ethnicities as where they're born. Some people - particularly here in the US - have closer ties to their respective immigrant groups than others. I've really never come across someone identifying their ethnicity/ancestry as American before, so you're among the first! I identify closely with the Irish immigrant community of my grandparents because that's the community I grew up in. Other parts of my ancestry I don't identify as closely with either because relatives did not pass on that knowledge and partially because some of that cultural knowledge was destroyed.
I mean, yeah, ethnically American doesn't make sense as it's not an ethnicity. But just in general I identify as American. Not German American.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
1/2 irish, 1/2 English. On the English side we are a bit mixed. There is some Jewish, some Hugenot, and a bit of Norman. (we are descended from the angevin/plantagenent dynasty and some of my cousins are heriditary peers.)

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Hispanic/Latino/Mexican, American

But when people first see me they assume caucasian which is understandable. I do look pretty white. I've been confused for Asian too which is funny. kind weird though.

I've tried to look up the origins of my last name and France came up. That might explain why I'm "guero" idk

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I've always identified as Arab. My parents are from Yemen.

I took a 23andMe test and the results weren't shocking: 95.2% West Asian and North African, 4.4% East African

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Enormously white & pasty. Afaik going back at least 5 generations of danish heritage.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm white, but I only associate myself with clones of me. Everyone else is a big weirdo and all suck at an equal amount. Every race, gender, religion, all of it unless you are an exact DNA match as me.

I hate when people try acting like me talking shit about white people is some form of self loathing. There is only one of me.

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I agree with the bolded part of your post. Unless they actually immigrated from Italy, there aren't any Italians in the States, and they wouldn't be recognized as such back in the old country, but if a 4th generation person says, "I'm Italian," it's always an identification with their ethnic community in the US. I'm sure there's a sentimental or romantic identification with the old country, but I don't think it goes far.

As far as the genetic testing commercials go, I think they're playing on the need for a lot of people to identify with something more interesting than Basic Blanco. As people left the ethnic enclaves, began inter-marrying with other ethnicities, and moved out to the suburbs, I think their children & grandchildren developed a disconnect from any real identification with a community, and the commercials are meant to appeal to those people.

I more or less agree with your assessment - no disagreement here.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm white, but I only associate myself with clones of me. Everyone else is a big weirdo and all suck at an equal amount. Every race, gender, religion, all of it unless you are an exact DNA match as me.

I hate when people try acting like me talking shit about white people is some form of self loathing. There is only one of me.
I can understand this. There is only one of me and nobody else can replicate that :)

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
America isn't an ethnicity, unless you mean native American. Countries that are millenia old during ages where people don't move around can be generally.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I'm mixed, my mom's Puerto Rican and my dad was white, with the ancestry from that side of the family mostly going back to just England and Ireland.

I mostly consider myself to be Puerto Rican/Hispanic/Latina though, primarily because I have brown skin and very obviously don't LOOK white.

I'd actually love to do one of those DNA test things to find out my exact make-up because while my dad (before he passed suddenly last year) was big on the genealogy stuff, it was mostly on his side of the family and not my mom's that he did research on (they had divorced in 2001), so while I know a lot about that side, all I know about my mom's side is literally 'Puerto Rican'.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Genetically I am as Québécois as they go, 'pure-laine'. Culturally though , I see myself as a Canadian and citizen of the world.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did 23 and Me and while I'm 99.3 British Aisles, I'm .3% west African and .2% Native American.

So I guess I identify as black/Native American.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to say "the default one". Growing up in rural Sweden, there were just the few exceptions and the rest of us. I guess I'm Swedish but even then that feels more like stating my nationality than my ethnicity.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm Austrian because I was born an raised here, and I got no immediate family to add to that.

Mostly Scottish, English, and Norwegian, and a bit of French and German.
You identify as all of those based on some genetic material? That seems so odd to me. Like.. Do you have any cultural connections to any of those?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
White (some scots/irish/english, some german), and Japanese
Though if you look at me I just look like a dark haired white dude. My cousin who is also 1/4 Japanese is blonde and blue-eyed lol.
The few people to think I was anything other than your average white guy of western euro descent seem to think I am Bosnian or Albanian, oddly.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm Austrian because I was born an raised here, and I got no immediate family to add to that.

You identify as all of those based on some genetic material? That seems so odd to me. Like.. Do you have any cultural connections to any of those?

Ethnicity from a genetic perspective, yes. Not sure how else to interpret ethnicity, it's not like someone says they are Tennessean as an ethnic group. My family had a pretty good idea of our ancestry and the genetic testing turned out to confirm it. Only surprise is that depending on the current data I have 0.1% oceanic.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
My dad is white and my Mom is mestizo Mexican from Chihuahua (she's brown and looks native af tho)

I have fuck all to do with my dad's family and was raised in a city that's 90% second generation Mexican-American. I really identify with my mom's side more culturally. I also look like a lighter skin version of my mom and uncles so yeah I just say Mexican-America or mixed

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have Slavic (Czech) and Danish ancestry, but like most white folks in the US, I just identify as white.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Ethnicity from a genetic perspective, yes. Not sure how else to interpret ethnicity, it's not like someone says they are Tennessean as an ethnic group. My family had a pretty good idea of our ancestry and the genetic testing turned out to confirm it. Only surprise is that depending on the current data I have 0.1% oceanic.
I mean, I read "identify" differently I guess, despite the OP. To me, it's about being part of your identity. Some genetic markers just don't mean enough to me, I think.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I mean, I read "identify" differently I guess, despite the OP. To me, it's about being part of your identity. Some genetic markers just don't mean enough to me, I think.

Different perspective I suppose. The United states is so vast that i don't identify with it culturally, so when I see ethnicity I assume by ancestry. But if you live in a smaller nation with a more homogeneous, richer culture you may assume national/social ethnicity.