Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those mixed race people(Filipino, White) with a look that's apparently ambiguous enough to be mistaken for a dozen different ethnicities. Which is fine with me, I don't really have a desire to make my ethnicity a part of my identity.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mixed.

I'm black and white.

With my name and the way that I look people often are not sure of my background.

Dec 24, 2017
I identify as Korean-American. It took a long time for me to figure that out, own it and really be comfortable with it. I'm lucky that I was able to do that, to have the time in college to formally study issues around identity and Asian-American history/issues, and to have been able to work/spend time in Korea to contrast my experience growing up in the US.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have been wondering if doing one of the DNA ancestry test would be ideal. Does anyone have any personal experience in Canada? Recent articles about their terms and condition regarding consent to sell information to third party at a later date, albeit bereft of name, gives me pause.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I did one on 23andme, It came back as mostly Scottish/English/Irish and then some French/German.

My family name goes back to clan Macfie which as a group lived on the isle of Colonsay but after the clan chief was executed by the MacDonald clan the Macfies become a broken clan with some staying and following the Macdonalds who took control of Colonsay, some went to clan Cameron (and fought in the Jacobite uprising with them, with them also fighting in the Battle of Culloden on the right flank with the Camerons), and then some going to England, and eventually migrating to the states and settling heavily around the mountains of North Carolina.

It's quite surreal, because I just found this out like the past few years and I had been watching Outlander (a great show) and it's pretty much hit exactly all of these beats that my ancestors went through.

I have no idea about the French/German part though (in terms of who it comes from or those ancestors). It traced it back to around the Paris, Brittany, Hauts-de-France regions.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm white. Like my mother does that "Well we're actually 1/16th cherokee" or something like that spiel.... but yeah no, white white white white. No reason to try and exoticize my heritage. As far as I can tell my heritage is English, Dutch, and Welsh with maybe a twist or two of Irish. More interesting is the fact that my great great grandfather on my dad's side only made it to the US by sneaking aboard a ship... or at least that's the story that's told. Who knows the validity?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
White mutt.

I don't really know much about my family's history, only really know that my mom's side has lived in Canada for a bit and my dad's side came to the US during the potato famine. Would definitely like to do the research some day though.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just african American for me however my last name implies I might have some German in me, or atleast may have had a slave master who was probably german

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Colombian, Latina with mostly Spanish ancestry.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I just say I'm white. I'm not going to go on about my family history to say I'm .3% Cherokee or something.

Learning about your family history is cool though. My great grandmother was Cherokee and married a Englishman. Had my grandmother who married a German. Had my mother who married someone from Irish decent. I look absolutely nothing like my great grandmother or even my grandmother on my moms side. They were brown skinned and I'm the whitest of white with a big red beard and blue eyes. Hence, me just saying I'm white because it is what it is lol.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Born in the Philippines with some Spanish, visible Pacific Islander but I've been mistaken for Mexican and Arabic as well. Formative years in Canada (same for accent), living in the UK since my mid-20s. Oh yeah, French name.

Whenever someone in the UK asks where I'm from, I typically say 'Canadian'. But I still speak Tagalog, and still keep in touch with Filipino music.

So, whatever, I guess lol

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
west indian, indo trinidadian, etc

i was born in canada but i'm pretty sure that would just be my nationality. and my ancestors were "indentured servants" brought from india to trinidad by the british but just saying "indian" doesn't capture the full picture. this shit's confusing.

Last edited:

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Brazilian memester

But being honest, since I moved to Canada in January I keep comparing and telling people how it is in Brazil. I hope I stop doing this soon.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
White American of mixed European ancestry. I have no idea what the breakdown is, though I could make some educated guesses. I should do one of those tests someday.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I guess what ever south west latino/chicano is.

I wouldn't really really go as deep as claiming Indian or Spanish ancestry, that seems so far away I doubt it really makes a difference.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm mixed, I go with whichever is more advantageous at the time; both have a bonus to charisma checks and are often ignored by city guards.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Blasian. Maternal grandparents were a mix of Chinese (Baba Nyonya) Indian and Siamese Malays. I identify as Malay (or Austronesian if we're getting technical), mostly because they make up a significant part of my family and friends who have been the most welcoming.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Interesting take.

In the US, ethnicity has always been meant to mean your family origins, not necessarily if you're born or raised somewhere.

I was born in the US and raised here, but the US government doesn't recognize me as American, ethnically. I'm Asian. There is no American ethnic group in the US except for "Native American." If you asked most people here their ethnicity, they'll tell you where their family immigrated from, even if it was 10 generations ago.

US census uses Hispanic non Hispanic as ethnicity and race for Asian, black, white, etc.

Jul 4, 2018
Haven't taken a DNA test but I'm mixed. Polynesian (Maori) on my Dads side and White (English, Scottish, Irish and Cornish; pretty much British) on both. I could also have some indeginous Australian from my Nana (mums side) who had olive skin and her father was a dark brown. Also maybe a little bit of Asian on my mums side as well just from looking at old photos of my Poppa's parents/grandparents. So pretty much a bit of everything.

I agree with a lot of what is being said here though I don't really feel connected to my British side so I'm pretty much a Kiwi/Aussie person who happens to be real light brown with an afro.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mexican, the cosmic race. :P

I recognize I'm part... everything (Native American, Native African, European...), but I don't really identify strongly as any one thing in particular. Currently, I guess I identify as the ones that Trump and his cult really don't like

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
from scientific american

When it comes to ancestry, DNA is very good at determining close family relations such as siblings or parents. For deeper family roots, these tests do not really tell you where your ancestors came from. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. We all have thousands of ancestors, and our family trees become matted webs as we go back in time, which means that before long, our ancestors become everyone's ancestors. Humankind is fascinatingly closely related, and DNA will tell you little about your culture, history and identity.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
In English it is called Bavarian (the other names are Bayern/Baiern/Boarn), but also a lot of my family is from up north, specifically North Frisian, which I can partly speak, which is now a minority language. There is no single German ethnicity though, there are multiple. German is a national identity, not a particular ethnic one. We all have our different cultures, dialects (some being unintelligible to other ethnic groups, which is why Standard German exists - a common tongue). For example most Germans will not understand Schwäbisch entirely, but the language and ethnic group is a German one, and even other people froma round the world would not recognise it as being part of German but some other language.

It's kind of like if you think about the United Kingdom or British Isles, British/Briton is not really an ethnic group, the Irish, the Scots, the English, the Welsh, etc are ethnic groups, they come from the British Isles like Bavarians or Swabians come from the German lands. In that same way the Irish have their language and culture, the Scots have their language and culture, etc, but the common tongue for mutual intelligibility is English which is the "standard" in the UK/isles - same happened in Germany with the formulation of Standard German to be taught in schools and used for official government (and encouraged, business). Even Swabians tell the time differently from others in Germany - something that took some time to learn as I found myself deep into Schwäbisch land lol - I still do not understand the Schwäbisch dialekt. Many of the ethnic groups are still home to where their original native tribes lived before Christianisation. Bavarians are direct descendents of Bajuwaren (emergence just before Christianisation and after Christianisation, they were what we call today the "Old Bavarians" - which if you go around Bavaria as a tourist you may come across places and things called "Altbayern" which this is related to, and then modern Bavarians descended from them and were the Bavarians in high middle ages. The Bajuwaren were comprised of many tribes like Sueben, Boier etc.

The same of course occurs in Spain, Italy, France, and quite a few European countries. You have probably heard of Catalonians, Asturians, Basques, Sicilians, Alsatians, Bretons, Occitans, etc - these are ethnic groups. Spanish, French, Italian, are national identities.

Foreigners, especially the Romans in particular popularised this by referring to all the tribes as Germans, but there is no single German ethnicity.

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm English so i have no idea...

Also no idea what I identify as, never really thought about it until now. I'm ashamed to be English if that helps?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I'm like 80-90% Assorted European (English, Irish, Welsh, German, French, Dutch, maybe a couple others) , the rest is native American.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
*waves back*

Greek of probably middle-eastern ancestry cause some shit went down early 20th century and my ancestors migrated from Turkey to Greece.
That doesn't make you middle eastern. The coast of turkey was Greek for thousands of years before the Turkish people arrived in turkey,and continued to be so under Turkish rule, until it all kicked off between turkey and Greece after ww1.