• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Generally White British (more specifically english), though I can lean heavily into the quarter of me or so that's Polish (recent years having exacerbated that somewhat). Can confirm some parts German and Irish though, mainly through my mother's family. Bit of a european mongrel really.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I did 23&Me a while back. My breakdown was:

- 50% Ashkenazi Jewish (my mother's side)
- 25% Iberian Peninsula
- 10% General Southern European
- 10% Native American
- 5% General East African

My father is Cuban, so everything that isn't Jewish is from him. The Native American bit, I would assume, is Taino, which I've started to read more about lately.

I identify as a mutt, which is what I am. I'm Latino and Jewish, primarily, but when you're mixed, those communities aren't always as welcoming as you'd hope. I'm a gringo to hispanics and goyim to jews, so it just became easier to think of myself as a blend and leave it at that.
I'm Jewish on my fathers side, but not religious so it's kinda feels like an awkward position since i'm not accepted as Jewish under Orthodoxy law. I just call myself Ashkenazi and leave it at that.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Ethnicity is a lived experience not genetics or race

Im half kurdish but have not lived the kurdish experience and am thus not ethnically kurdish.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
Ukrainian, Russian, German and Polish although I live in the U.S. now. The way the "German" got into the family is a long story though as you can see it is the only "non-slavic" ethnicity in my family background.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I've never taken a DNA test, but seeing as my family originate from Scotland (father's side) and Wales (mother's side), I'm going to guess there's a whole lot of white in there.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
My father is European (Basque) and my mother is Bolivian. I usually identify as both Basque and Bolivian. Although I always clarify if asked, whether I choose to identify as one or the other really depends on the crowd I'm with. I look very much like my father, so no one suspects I'm anything but Basque when I'm in Europe, so it's always a surprise.

Racially, I guess mixed race. When in Latin America I always say I'm mestizo, just to mess with white Latinos a bit.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking this way before taking the test, but since i've taken blood tests before i figured the government already has my DNA information on me anyways.
Not a clue about the government, but from what I recall all the "ancestery-type" DNA tests will happily sell your data to any and all companies who are probably busy thinking of fun applications for it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Do those DNA test things actually work? How accurate are they?

I'm Mexican-American/Hispanic/Latino
Accuracy really depends on the company and how big their data pool is to reference from. The DNA community consensus finds 23andMe and AncestryDNA to be the most accurate of the bunch, but it's still a work in progress as they get more DNA samples. The best way to learn about recent ancestry is to make a Family Tree. From my family tree the AncestryDNA results seem to be accurate.

Oct 27, 2017
cartons_rich-creamy_french-vanilla.jpg

White. My older sister took a genetics test a while back and showed our family has a lot more Irish and Scandinavian than we thought we had, but looking around my family and our history you'd be hard pressed to find anything else than midwestern German American culture.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I don't think your DNA and your ancestry is something you identify as, it's just something that is. Wether you like or not is a different thing altogether.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Accuracy really depends on the company and how big their data pool is to reference from. The DNA community consensus finds 23andMe and AncestryDNA to be the most accurate of the bunch, but it's still a work in progress as they get more DNA samples. The best way to learn about recent ancestry is to make a Family Tree. From my family tree the AncestryDNA results seem to be accurate.

I've been kind of wanting to try one out, but I'm a bit reluctant. Besides being in physical possession of it, what other ownership rights does the company have over the the DNA sample you give them?

Dec 3, 2018
I'm black. My parents are from Eritrea.
My ethnic group is Jeberti (but in Eritrea it's not recognized and is lumped together with the Tigrayan ethnic group).

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My maternal grandfather was Irish, may maternal-maternal great grandmother was Italian. Other 5/8 great grandparents were British. Kind of want to look into my family tree further at some point.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Native American more broadly, Metis more specifically. Being mixed race I tend to feel more of a connection to and identify more as the First Nations part of my history than I do the European part of it.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've been kind of wanting to try one out, but I'm a bit reluctant. Besides being in physical possession of it, what other ownership rights does the company have over the the DNA sample you give them?
I'm not 100% sure on AncestryDNA, but i know 23andMe gives you the option to destroy the sample after it's been analyzed. And that both require your consent for them to share any information by opting into their research program.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I spent most of my youth considering myself white, despite having a (very light-skinned) Indian mother.

Now I identify as "white-passing brown person".

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm 94% Chinese & 6% Japanese.

Of that 94% Chinese, I'm 88% pure Han Chinese (wootwoot) and 6% indigenous Taiwanese.

My husband faux mocks me a lot for my tainted and impure blood, of being only 88% Han Chinese. (He's something like 97% pure Han Chinese.)

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Chinese and American. Born in the US but of Chinese descent. I don't know my full lineage as I haven't done a DNA test.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
White? American?

Like, if you really want to get genetic about it, there's a lot of Welsh in me (at least, based on my family ancestry my brother figured out like ten years ago). But it isn't like I feel connected to Wales in anyway because, well, I grew up in America. But calling my ethnicity American just doesn't feel right while 'white' suffices, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Was born and raised in Puerto Rico, but my mom is "full" (white) american who met my father in the states. She raised me so I feel like both. I feel american, and obviously feel puerto rican.

Though puerto ricans are Americans, most don't identify as one (just like most Americans don't believe puerto ricans are Americans).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Eskimo, American Indian, and Irish.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Mostly Scottish, English, and Norwegian, and a bit of French and German. Despite being something like a 10th to 12th generation American citizen my genetic profile is extremely similar to someone living in North England or the Scottish lowlands.