• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
All the worst 2018 games I played were on collections that came out this year

1. Street Fighter I (30th Anniversary Collection)
  2. Mega Man X7 (X Legacy Collection 2)
  3. DMC2 (HD Trilogy on PS4)

Didn't really play any bad games, but I'd say A Way Out was maybe the worst of the 30 or so new games I played overall.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Of the ones I played, probably Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. I love the combat, but the technical issues really got in the way of my enjoyment of the game. It took me a while to realize that one of my characters' equipped skills was causing the context-sensitivity in the game to break to the point that I couldn't interact with anything.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Fallout 76. I don't even hate it that strongly it's just that it's a buggy, empty game and even looking past the technical shortcomings leaves you with a boring, barren world that has very little to offer.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I think it had to be Absolver that was free on PS+.

Game I paid for? Ni No Kuni 2, what a let down.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I played 12 new games this year and writing up my list for the GOTY thread, I chose Celeste to be last. I still enjoyed it and think it deserves all the praise it's getting but personally I wasn't too into it.

If older games count than that definitely goes to DMC2. I always heard about how shit it was but didn't know the details. Just feeling the stinger was enough for me.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does the Counter-Strike battle royale game count?

Because that shit is absolutely soulless.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't generally play bad games, I usually have a good sense of what I will like before playing a game.

Just Cause 4 was exceedingly mediocre so it might be that, but it was the game I played most recently besides Smash so it could be recency bias.

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
I only actually played seven games this year, but my least favorite that I played was A Way Out, and it wasn't even close. That ending completely and utterly destroyed the game for both me and my buddy. A shame, too, since we'd enjoyed it up to that point.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
not even trying to circlejerk because i had a decent time with the game for a while, but Fallout 76 for sure. while playing it you can see the good ideas shine through the cloud of shit, but overall, it's still a really bad game.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Probably Bendy and the Ink Machine, and I still got some enjoyment from it.

Not released in 2018? Probably a tie between The Surge and Devil May Cry 2. At least I finished DMC.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I didn't play any bad games this year but two stick out as disappointing:

- Spider-Man. The terrible combat made me quit a couple hours in. It just made me want to replay the Arkham games.
-Shining Resonance: Refrain on Switch. It just never caught me and was just...boring.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Probably Shadow Warrior 2.

That game was a complete slog to get through and I don't understand what the hell people saw in that thing.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Critically: Darksiders 3. I really enjoyed it though. It's a classic action style game that isn't ashamed of being a video game, and that's what I like.

Personally: God of War. Critical darling, but IMO it just wasn't fun or at all what I wanted from the series.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Thankfully no game that was released this year I played I'd consider awful unless I''m forgetting something but I decided to try out Battlefront II on Origin since I have premier and that was the most disappointing game they should have just made it a battlefield with a Starwars skin and it would be better. I have no idea as to what made them think no server browsers was a good idea, that starting a match absolutely requires a large minimum of player so you have close to 20 players just waiting for one more person for like the next 15 minutes. Played 4 matches I decided I had enough and went back to Battlefield.

Monster Hunter XX wins the award for the first game since Metroid Prime Hunters making my hands sore

Apr 8, 2018
We Happy Few.

I really wanted to like this game. The setting and concept was very interesting imo, but the survival mechanics and various bugs were enough to stop me from playing.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I didn't play a bunch this year, to be honest. I think the only game that even remotely qualifies for me is Dissidia NT, and it's not even a bad game, just not the Dissidia 012 follow up I would've liked.

Edit: if we're talking games in general, and not just games played for the first time, I played through Megaman X6 and X7 via the Megaman X collections. X7 was just as bad as I remembered. X6 was several magnitudes worse than I remembered holy shit

Oct 25, 2017
The Inpatient - so disappointing and it controlled terribly
Breath of the Wild - I struggled to finish it, but glad I stuck with it since the castle is the only part I really enjoyed
Ni No Kuni 2 - it was just...fine lol

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I don't know about objectively "bad," but I bought played 3 games this year I grew to strong dislike.

1. The Messenger - I love classic Ninja Gaiden, but this game never felt as snappy (largely due to all the enemies being multi-hit and the level design being less tightly designed). I kept playing it because I heard there was "a twist" later on that makes it amazing. I made it to that twist and couldn't believe that was all people were making a big deal of and I felt like I wasted the hours I spent with it because I would have stopped long before then if I had known that's all it was.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I fell off this game hard in Chapter 4. I endured it that long until I just admitted to myself I wasn't enjoying it (and I loved the first game). It is just too laborious for me. In my view, they made the wrong choices in terms of what to put animation priorities on. I'm ok with suspension of disbelief. I don't need to see my character pick up and rifle through enemies or go through drawers slowly. Or spend 5 minutes riding back to an objective. It was death by a thousand cuts for me with this game but I finally threw in the towel.

3. Gris - I thought the art style looked beautiful and it was an instant purchase for me. I love indie platformers (Celeste is likely my game of the year) and puzzle games like Braid. I even like good "walking simulators" if they have a good narrative to pull me through (like Gone Home or Stanley Parable). But this game just felt really slow and really pretentious. It just felt like it had a lot of empty space that it tried to fill with music cues and while the mechanics slowly build, they build too slowly and the game is too precious with it's ideas rather than generously dolling them out. I quit about an hour and half in and felt like I had totally wasted my money and time.

Jan 9, 2018
Knew this thread would be a lot of hot takes on game of the year candidates.
Quiet man was awful and confusing.
Besides that not a lot of bad games. Sure games I didnt like but I know the difference between not liking something and calling a game bad.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
SQ-NSwitch-DS-Bomb-Chicken.jpg

Bomb Chicken isn't an awful game, but there's nothing about it that'll stick with me beyond "Oh yeah, I guess I did play that."

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Really? I was wondering about that game, but JC3 was terrible so I was holding out for a sale.

If you thought JC3 was terrible I doubt you'd like JC4. IMO the visual performance is much better this time around but everything else in the game is a step backwards. No more liberating bases, underwhelming visuals, convoluted menu's, etc.

I've actually gone back to playing JC3 and I think it's the better game. If it was a higher resolution (on the 1X anyway) I think it would also be the better looking game too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 5 ... with the caveat i didn't get to play many games this year, and it's a perfectly okay game. just wasn't something i needed to rush out and buy like i did, especially as a package. Arcade and DLC were especially meh in that regard

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Okami HD. It just didn't click. Played for like 1-2 hrs but dropped it. I gotta say I didn't play really bad games that year so it's not like Okami is a really bad game.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Monster Hunter: World for me.

2018 was the year that solidified I will never understand the love for that series. The 8-10 hours of that game I forced myself to slog through was similar to playing as a permanently drunk Arthur Morgan in RDR2, except Arthur controls better.

Monster Hunter: World has more menus and systems to figure out than most operating systems I've used, and the "multiplayer" is so intuitive you'll probably get matched up with your friends faster if you blindfold yourself and hit random buttons.

I hated that game with a burning passion, and traded it in immediately. Any Game of the Year list I see with even a passing reference MH:W I have to immediately disregard, if only for the fact my taste in games obviously differs too much.

To each their own, though.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
'God of War', while the God of War formula required a major shakeup this is not how I wanted/expected Kratos and the series to evolve.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I didn't play a lot of games this year - but uh... it's Red Dead Redemption 2. To its credit - the world is so very very detailed and it is a marvel. The gameplay however (and really, that's what matters to me) is not good. The game, I feel, goes out of its way to prevent the user from having a good time. Arguably, that makes the detail and care put into its world even worse. There's so much potential there - and it was squandered.

This.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I gave Fortnite a shot for approximately an hour to see what the fuss was. Hated every moment. I hope everyone suing the game for dance moves win their cases and it goes away for good.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
NBA Live 19 - I thought they did a much better job than previous, but it's still not that good IMO.

Played about 3 hrs of it and left it alone.

Honestly RDR2. What a boring, terrible, overrated game.

I felt like this about GTA 5; I hated it, but I really like RD2. I definitely understand your opinion though. When it doesn't click, it doesn't click. I don't care how well it reviewed.

Last edited:

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I didn't play anything truly bad but I was very underwhelmed by Mario Tennis Aces. I didn't enjoy the meter system nearly as much as I thought I would, and that's a big chunk of what the game sells itself on.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Probably BFV for me. Doesn't feel like battlefield much and more like CoD

Edit: Almost forgot about octopath traveler. Generic RPG with the worst story structure I have ever seen

Apr 24, 2018
I didn't play anything truly bad but I was very underwhelmed by Mario Tennis Aces. I didn't enjoy the meter system nearly as much as I thought I would, and that's a big chunk of what the game sells itself on.
I was going to pick another game and then you reminded me that Mario Tennis was a thing this year. Double whammy for me, as I bought a second copy of the game as a gift for a friend.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably Ni no Kuni 2 for me.

Bard Tale IV I refunded but mainly for technical reasons, not because I didn't like it. Will likely revisit eventually.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5 - I thought the story was pretty much trash and the layout of the game with so many bugs i encountered and the gameplay was boring.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
None , all the games I've played in 2018 were good to great with some disappointment in between.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Mario Tennis Aces or Kirby Star Allies. Neither of them are actually bad of course, but they were both so short, mediocre and inconsequential that I was stunned Nintendo had sold them at $60. I finished both in maybe two sittings each and had no desire to touch them ever again. Mario Tennis was maybe a three hour 'story mode' consisting of several challenge missions with no quick retry option, which was just baffling for 2018. Kirby had four worlds with no real theme or anything interesting to them, and the forced AI co-op made the gameplay an absolute mess where I was constantly losing track of which character I was controlling.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
The Inpatient on PSVR is the worst game I've played this year. So much promise coming off of Until Dawn squandered.

Aug 27, 2018
Hmm, well considering I finally played and finished Crono Trigger this year I'm gonna have to say...that has nothing to do with this thread.

It's probably Red Dead Redemption 2, and not that it's a "bad" game, I just don't find it very fun and if your game design is centered around stopping me from just having fun there's a problem. Also, I thought Far Cry 5 was pretty damned bland. That's just me though.