• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's a massive slap in the face after playing the PS4 version. So if I want the orchestrated OST, which should have been in the game in the first place, I have to buy the game again...

It's a big middle finger to fans of the series, the fans that have already dropped £40 on the game. Thar's my issue. If the PS4 version had a £10 DLC for all this content that would be kind of acceptable, but we aren't even getting that.
You started off strong with it's your opinion, then veered off the road trying to speak for everyone.

1, You don't speak for me. I'm a DQ fan, own 11 on PC, own a Switch and have no plans to double dip, and do not feel slighted in the least bit.

2, SE was probably too cheap to pay what Sugiyama wanted for the rights to the orchestral version. Nintendo is well known for paying and funding exclusives on their systems. So the chances might be slim that this comes to other platforms.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
If the music stopped you from playing the game 25 hours in, maybe you just didn't like the game that much; would an orchestrated soundtrack really be the thing that kept you going?

Also, Switch plays games on TVs too.
Yes absolutely it would, the game is fantastic . I'll probably go back and listen to podcasts while I play. I couldn't stand hearing the same song loop over and over again.

And yes I'm aware, my switch dock isn't hooked up to my TV . I got all my HDMI slots on other stuff , the switch isn't 4k anyways so I just use it handheld.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm not even remotely angry, tbh. We knew the Switch version was coming later and had good reason to believe it'd feature extra content. And about a year will have passed by the time this Switch version actually releases.

Besides, there's probably Nintendo money involved in this deal, particularly when it comes to securing an orchestrated OST. And Nintendo doesn't owe PS4 or PC DQ players anything.

And anyway, don't people like double dipping? People are currently buying up Final Fantasy IX, a game so old that it should practically be public domain by now, for about the same price that I bought the new God of War for.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes absolutely it would, the game is fantastic . I'll probably go back and listen to podcasts while I play. I couldn't stand hearing the same song loop over and over again.

And yes I'm aware, my switch dock isn't hooked up to my TV . I got all my HDMI slots on other stuff , the switch isn't 4k anyways so I just use it handheld.
Orchestrated soundtrack isn't going to fix the issue of the songs being short/looping/repeating a lot. It's just gonna change the obviously bad quality to something real.

Also, not sure if you ever had your Switch on your 4K tv, but native 1080p Switch games actually look very nice and clean upscaled on a 4K tv. I love how they look.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind the additional content, I played the game when it first released in Japan, it feels ancient to me by now, so creating some incentives for people to buy a late port is fine. Things like the orchestrated soundtrack though? Just make it DLC, the fuck is the problem with that? Why does Square Enix want to look like corporate assholes so very badly?

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4/PC owners were given bullshit reasons for content present in the Japanese version being cut from the western release. This content is present in the western Switch version so obviously said bullshit reasons no longer apply... so until SE says the existing versions will get the cut content in an update at some point, people are justifiably going to be pissed off.

I know some of the disingenuous warriors on here are determined to make this about something it's not (as per), but I know that's what's annoyed me at least. The midi soundtrack is seriously garbage.

A lot of people acting like they deserve to have this version of the game on their console of choice?

I think you must be confusing this with the last Persona 5 thread.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind the additional content, I played the game when it first released in Japan, it feels ancient to me by now, so creating some incentives for people to buy a late port is fine. Things like the orchestrated soundtrack though? Just make it DLC, the fuck is the problem with that? Why does Square Enix want to look like corporate assholes so very badly?
Maybe Nintendo paid for it. Square Enix doesn't own the music

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The music thing is kind if a downer. Everything else is fine, enhanced ports happen, game itself is great.
The only issue I had with the music is most tracks were too short. I prefer the synthesized music in DQ games more than the orchestral versions. Something about feels more charming and appropriate to the series.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
At the end you are responsible for your purchase decision.

You did receive what you paid for with XI on PS4/Steam. Nothing more was promised.

At the same time we knew that the Switch version would include additional content, because it's a late release.

If SE wasn't willing to include these features in the Vanilla PS4/Steam versions it probably isn't too farfetched to think that Nintendo's involvement is the reason why they can add these to the Switch version.

Personally I'm not a fan now they handled it...but at the same time they didn't make a secret about it and didn't promise those kind of updates for other versions.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
Switch version has better music ?
It has orchestrated music instead of MIDIs. Honestly, for anyone who has actually played the game, the music will not be helped that much by being orchestrated. It's pretty meh, and I only enjoyed the older tracks. The new stuff gets old really quickly, especially on the overworld.

As to the topic at hand, I do empathize with people who are upset they can't experience the new content. But for me, this game was already overly bloated, and quite frankly I was ready for it to end long before I finished the postgame.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just release DQXII on PS4 and PC and they can't even bother to put orchestral music on them instead offer it exclusively for switch that's what's making people mad.
11 not 12, and Sugiyama wouldn't let them use the orchestral music at the time. We do not know if it was becasue he wanted too much money for the rights or not.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS4/PC owners were given bullshit reasons for content present in the Japanese version being cut from the western release. This content is present in the western Switch version so obviously said bullshit reasons no longer apply... so until SE says the existing versions will get the cut content in an update at some point, people are justifiably going to be pissed off.

I know some of the disingenuous warriors on here are determined to make this about something it's not (as per), but I know that's what's annoyed me at least. The midi soundtrack is seriously garbage.

I think you must be confusing this with the last Persona 5 thread.

Nothing was cut from the Japanese versions for the western PS4/PC release. In fact the western versions had more content and features than the Japanese versions.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the additional story. But the orchestrated soundtracks should have been on the western release, but they decided not to, and try to get double dippers that way.

I'd be fine if they put it as DLC.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017

What's this now? The Japanese version had MIDI music as well, the 3DS version with the 2D mode was a separate game. The English version of DQ11 for PC and PS4 added costumes and dashing, it didn't take anything away.

Shinzen

Jul 1, 2018
For everyone talking about an "orchestral soundtrack", did anyone notice that they specifically said "battle and field tunes" as if it's only those two tracks? lol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just wondering how they got Sugiyama to let them use an orchestrated version of the soundtrack in this edition in the first place.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I wasn't aware of all those upgrades and additions from the original release, so I can understand the complains overall.
I haven't played any DQ yet but this might be my first, the PS4 version already tempted me so I'm glad I waited for the Switch port.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The game will probably cop a fair visual downgrade on the Switch so I don't really understand why people would feel envious. The footage they showed had some really obvious pop-in and the resolution looked way lower which is to be expected. I can't imagine I would double dip but I'll admit having a 2D version built-in is a pretty cool feature.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
If people are truly furious about this business practice, then I suggest you all to take a stance against it for ALL platforms. If you're the type of person who ignores this issue when it happens to other platforms (XB1's Destiny/Destiny 2, X360's Tales of Vesperia, and Wii's Tales of Graces all got definitive versions on Sony platforms), then you should expect the same when it happens to your platform of choice.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird so many are angry over this. Late ports almost always get some sort of extras to entice people to buy them. Thing is that this wasn't even really a secret. We all knew they were working on a switch version and literally everyone speculated there'd be exclusive content because of how late it was.

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of people acting like they deserve to have this version of the game on their console of choice?
Right, but, it's not really that.

They're not demanding it's releasing on Xbox, they're annoyed because QOL features and story content isn't available for them to purchase on a version of the game they've already paid for. That's an understandable complaint and even if you disagree calling it 'entitled' is a bit odd and inflammatory.

I think that's a justifiable annoyance and Square should probably offer the DLC to users on other consoles. I don't mind too much but I don't think I'd pick up the Switch version just for the additions, especially as it looks quite ugly on the Switch so I'd rather just have the options.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird so many are angry over this. Late ports almost always get some sort of extras to entice people to buy them. Thing is that this wasn't even really a secret. We all knew they were working on a switch version and literally everyone speculated there'd be exclusive content because of how late it was.

I think the problem is that this exclusive content actually makes the game noticibly better. Like the music was a big complaint about the game. I know it's made me more hesitant to go back because the music got old real quick. So to hear the Switch version fixes this issue kind of really sucks considering the other versions aren't even a year old. It's not like a port years down the line.

The music upgrade is far more important than any extra dungeon or the like.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
XIS is coming out nearly a year after the PS4/PC releases and Nintendo probably had to contribute to Sugiyama's Scrooge McDuck money vault to get the orchestrated OST so I'm not too miffed about it. If anything the blame still lies with Sugiyama for being a greedy old fuck in the first place and forcing an inferior soundtrack in the initial release.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
A pet peeve of mine is when a game I bought is ported to another platform and gets a bunch of new content that never comes back to the game I bought. I'm not going to rebuy it just for that extra content, so it's great when devs and publishers actually do make that universal content for all versions of the same game.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I have a PS4 and a Switch, so for me it's got nothing to do with platform or being exclusive to the Switch. It's the fact that I played that game with shittastic MIDI music for 90-ish hours, and less than half a year later there's a definitive version coming out with a feature that should have been in there in the first place.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I have a PS4 and a Switch, so for me it's got nothing to do with platform or being exclusive to the Switch. It's the fact that I played that game with shittastic MIDI music for 90-ish hours, and less than half a year later there's a definitive version coming out with a feature that should have been in there in the first place.
But you're so entitled and spoilt for supporting the PS4 version! You're responsible for your purchase man!

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this any different from Guacamelee and Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition?

They heard the feedback about the music and decided to improve it during the porting to the switch. Would it be better if they kept the music as it is?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ah yeah DQXI , I think they should atleast offer it in a form of free update or dlc.
I agree, but that all depends on how the rights to the music were made. Did Nintendo pay for that or did SE? If nothing is announced by the time DQ11S comes out alluding to orchestral FLC, then I would assume Nintendo paid for it to be an exclusive.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
SE won't confirm any DLC for the PS4/PC version until after the Switch version is released. It's dumb to think otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I hadn't played it on PS4. This sounds like the best version and it's portable. I'm only 15 hours in, about to get the final party memebers so I don't really want to redo that

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I already have an orchestral mod on PC so I'll I'm really missing is the extra content. I don't see what there is to cry about, the game game out 6 months later on a portable console and has some extra features, what's the problem?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
SE won't confirm any DLC for the PS4/PC version until after the Switch version is released. It's dumb to think otherwise.
This is very unlikely.

Nintendo is SE biggest partner in terms of Dragon Quest - I doubt they would market these features as exclusives of the Switch version only to have them show up on the other versions anyway. Especially with the Smash Bros.DQ Rep incoming.

Also I don't think SE cares that much to provide such a DLC to DQXI more than a year after its launch. They already have your money.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was fairly obvious that the Switch would have the definite version, that's why it was basically the first game announced for it.

The S version having the handheld mode was also obvious which was why I didn't buy the PS4 version.

So yeah, outside of the hype, all of what was announced was obvious.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
There's no way I would replay a 100+ hours game so soon anyways, but as a customer I'll keep that in mind next time I'm thinking of buying a product from SE. Got my platinum and like the game, but not to the point of playing it again for better music and additional story content. Not to mention the power disparity between my PS4 Pro and my docked Switch.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Having exclusive extra content can be a bit shitty considering how close the releases are, but ultimately understandable, not a big deal. The OST is just inexcusable though.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's funny that the worst version is called "definitive" just because the OST and the 2D mode.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The Japanese audience never got the improvements we have gotten because they said they have updated Unreal Engine in the porting process. The same is going to happen here.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
You started off strong with it's your opinion, then veered off the road trying to speak for everyone.

1, You don't speak for me. I'm a DQ fan, own 11 on PC, own a Switch and have no plans to double dip, and do not feel slighted in the least bit.

2, SE was probably too cheap to pay what Sugiyama wanted for the rights to the orchestral version. Nintendo is well known for paying and funding exclusives on their systems. So the chances might be slim that this comes to other platforms.

Bloody hell, bit of an over reaction. My opinion stands though.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Because they are lamenting their own lack of judgement, buying the early access version when it was obvious the Switch one had to include more content after the delay.
Just my guess.

I don't see people angry about the Switch version being graphically downgraded tho.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda conflicted

On one hand it is sad that early adopters are getting burned

On the other hand I'm really really glad I waited.