• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It just doesn't make sense to have new content exclusive to another platform in this age of patches and DLC packs, even when we take release timing out of the picture. The thing is, I'm very confident that this will wind up getting released on PS4 as a DLC upgrade, like World of Final Fantasy: Maxima. It's unfortunate that they have decided not to be upfront about it, though.

On a side note, It's also peculiar to me to present it as a Definitive Edition if it is technically inferior to the other versions, with some very obvious rendering limitations shown in the video. Could just be a branding move, since it will assuredly be available for the other versions eventually as well. It would as if thinking the 3DS version of DQ8 was the definitive version just because it has more content in it, when it was lacking in so many presentational aspects compared to the original release.
The 3DS version of VIII is the definitive version. More content, no more random encounters, faster battles.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I'm not angry. Loved the game, did everything that could be done. Switch version will be released 1+ year after PS4/PC so it was always obvious it would have some extras. I just hope it sells well so we have more DQ games like XI.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'd really appreciate getting that soundtrack on the PS4 version at the very least, the 2D stuff is neat but it's just a novelty really. I'm not gunna buy it again just for those things though, so if they want any more money from me for this DLC is their best route.

....Builders 2 however, put it in my veins!

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
New story stuff, OK. Anything that took actual development time, OK. But a drag and drop for the orchestral soundtrack? Yeah, I'm pissed they're holding that hostage for another version.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Console wars, just like when some people were actually happy there was no localization for the 3DS version, or that DQ was "coming home" but didn't buy it afterwards.

It was known it'd have exclusive content, just had to wait for it if you were going to be mad at it.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
They probably had to re-license the soundtrack, and the license conditions might not have allowed them to add it to other consoles, or it would be to expensive to do so. They probably could have made a payable dlc, but that would bring even more outrage.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Re-releases with extra content are always sour with fandoms, even more so when they're across different platforms. I'm sure Persona 5 fans will be upset if it's released on Switch with more content unavailable on PS4.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I know Sugiyama is a difficult, hateful goblin, but I'm not surprised that they were able to get orchestrated music in this final version. Dragon Quest is a series that puts effort into its ports and re-releases, and the state of some of the music was the number one complaint of the PS4 release. They were going to put in the effort to address this.

If the amount of orchestrated music is substantial, I can see them putting it up for paid DLC in the other versions too. I wouldn't count on it any time soon though. They're in the business now to promote a new release of this game at full price, and making its new selling-features available on other systems is counter-productive to that.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i dunno, but this is an insta buy for me

have been planning to get this since it was announced for the NX
and my patience paid off
it was kind of obvious it would get exclusive content with it being a super late release

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I only want the extra story content,i really liked the characters and it seems to focus on that.
I don't care about the other extras(dual audio,2D mode and the orchestral soundtrack).
There was a user in the reveal thread that literally said 'lol thanks for the beta testing ps4 and pc users',laughing at the people who supported the very same franchise that you're fan of,brought me flashbacks of the childish stupidity of console wars from previous gen.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played DQXI but I know that the music was by far the biggest issue people had with the game, so I'm not surprised that people are pissed.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The result of people waiting and not buying something like Dragon Quest on day one tends to result in the publisher making statements about how they're not sure if it's worth localising any further games in the series for the West, or for that particular platform at least. That's not the signal you want to send either.

If we'r talking about something like Spider-Man, then sure. I'm confident we'll see a GOTY version of that later this year, and probably a Definitive Edition on PS5. But there was also no risk of the game flopping at launch.
Here's the thing, the Switch version is just to entice the double dippers. The base game, even without the extra content, are well worth $60 and worth buying day 1. Think of this is just a chance to boost more sales of the game here in the US, you're not losing something when you bought the PS4/PC version, this are just extras added. This honestly feels like entitlement to me
Nintendo fans are kind of immune by now to the frustration of not getting games that come to other systems, or getting gimped versions of them.
True even this ones looks bad compared to PS4/PC bad that's just different in specs tho

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
They need to offer the orchestral soundtrack as an update or as DLC. Otherwise it is a dick move to fans who bought the game already when it is often the number one complaint. Even SE seems to acknowledge that many people complained about the MIDI soundtrack by touting the Switch version as the "definitive" edition. Yeah it's just bad to treat their fans like this.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
They need to offer the orchestral soundtrack as an update or as DLC. Otherwise it is a dick move to fans who bought the game already when it is often the number one complaint. Even SE seems to acknowledge that many people complained about the MIDI soundtrack by touting the Switch version as the "definitive" edition. Yeah it's just bad to treat their fans like this.
What was your opinion about them skipping 3DS in the west?

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how graphical quality outweighs more content and improved gameplay.

Both versions have their advantages, and people will have their preferences, but neither are definitive. No matter what way you cut it, having an inferior graphical presentation to other versions is a disadvantage. Which looks like will be the same situation with this Switch release, unless the new content gets released on the more capable platforms in future.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Wait, does the Switch version have a full orchestrated soundtrack or just the Field and Battle songs while the rest is MIDI? Seemed to me that SE twitted about a limited orchestrated score which hasn't been clarified (to my knowledge).

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are Nintendo fans really in here pretending not to understand why people would get upset about exclusive content and feature parity? Just because it's happened with other games before doesn't mean it was right then or ok now. Also there were tons of threads prelaunch about how bad the music was now there is a fix but it's not available to those who bought the game. Thread comes off really petty. Personally I don't mind because I never replay RPGs.

-Soma-

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
While it is indeed still too early to say anything, it's disingenuous to claim to not understand why people could be upset over this.

I really wish one day people will value games themselves over platforms. The amount of subtle platform warring here is...disappointing. I played and finished DQ11, I'm happy for the people that will get the new content, and even more so the orchestrated music which is a big thing for me, but to be for the decision to withhold that from other platforms is baffling to me. When did we stop being on the consumer side of things? Why would people NOT want others to enjoy things? I get the decision from SE and the way this industry handles Definitive editions as well, but you don't have to personally agree with it.

This honestly feels like entitlement to me

Double dip culture is not something the industry should be accepting as standard. I understand it too, especially from a business perspective...but like, c'mon...Why not at least try to make some noise and question SE on this? Do people WANT others not to get this content if it means not getting it again on another platform?

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This isn't 1994. Update the shitty music for the costumers who bought your game 5 month ago and if Nintendo didn't pay for the extra story stuff, throw that in as well. Simple

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).

Yeah I get why people are upset, and the music is the main scummy thing imo.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).
Not really. Happens all the time with Nintendo games.

Mindset should be: "I bought and (hopefuly) liked the game as it was when I bought it, I should not expect free updates to my game if there is a better version released years from now."

Point is, you got what you paid for.

terric101

Jan 7, 2018
Square complains that the Dragon Quest brand never took off in the West, stated that Dragon Quest XI must sell well if future titles are localized. Fans turn out making Dragon Quest XI, according to NPD "the biggest launch month in the series". Game is barely 3 months old in the west and they reveal that the switch version will have exclusive features. I think fans can feel slightly disappointed at least.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017

I'm failing to see what this has to do with my comment. Are you saying 3DS owners were treated badly because they never got the game? That has nothing to do with this. PS4 owners (I'll exclude PC since there is a mod for it) already have the game and are asking to fix a common issue they had with the game. If 3DS owners feel like they got burned for a game they never got, that's on them.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
This isn't 1994. Update the shitty music for the costumers who bought your game 5 month ago and if Nintendo didn't pay for the extra story stuff, throw that in as well. Simple
Pretty much this.

I'm not going to buy a game like this on Switch, as it would obviously benefit greatly from superior performance and resolution on PC. But I won't be spending money on that version either if it turns out to be missing vital content.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it is indeed still too early to say anything, it's disingenuous to claim to not understand why people could be upset over this.

I really wish one day people will value games themselves over platforms. The amount of subtle platform warring here is...disappointing. I played and finished DQ11, I'm happy for the people that will get the new content, and even more so the orchestrated music which is a big thing for me, but to be for the decision to withhold that from other platforms is baffling to me. When did we stop being on the consumer side of things? Why would people NOT want others to enjoy things? I get the decision from SE and the way this industry handles Definitive editions as well, but you don't have to personally agree with it.

Double dip culture is not something the industry should be accepting as standard. I understand it too, especially from a business perspective...but like, c'mon...Why not at least try to make some noise and question SE on this? Do people WANT others not to get this content if it means not getting it again on another platform?
What do you want them to do? It's not that they explicitly held off Switch version to force double dippers. They just want to add value so people will consider double dipping or interested on a late port. They also said that Switch version is being developed, if you really want to you can wait it out. Personally I love the franchise that I bought it day 1 on PS4 and it's well worth and more. I got 140 hours to platinum the game and it looks great which you cant say to this downgraded version (it looks bad honestly on 4k tv)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm just glad I didn't bought it on release. Will wait for a really good sale or a complete edition on PS4

I have a Switch but it's only for exclusives (games are way more expensive in my country)

-Soma-

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
What do you want them to do? It's not that they explicitly held off Switch version to force double dippers. They just want to add value so people will consider double dipping or interested on a late port. They also said that Switch version is being developed, if you really want to you can wait it out. Personally I love the franchise that I bought it day 1 on PS4 and it's well worth and more. I got 140 hours to platinum the game and it looks great which you cant say to this downgraded version (it looks bad honestly on 4k tv)

I know, and I understand. I'm also totally not upset about the new story content or anything. I loved the game, as well!

I can't claim to know the internal process behind the decision, and maybe there are some licensing issues I'm not aware of...but at the very least, patching the game music seems like the most trivial thing from a functional perspective. I wouldn't want other players to miss out on it.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
People are mad they can't pay extra royalties to Sugiyama on the other versions of the game.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

When DQ XI was announced in the west for PS4/PC and I posted my annoyance that the 3DS version isn't getting localized, I was told in this forum to not be entitled and get DQ XI on PS4/PC.
Also PS4 only players complaining about "definitive" is funny.
By playing on PS4, by default you already have to make compromises.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm failing to see what this has to do with my comment. Are you saying 3DS owners were treated badly because they never got the game? That has nothing to do with this. PS4 owners (I'll exclude PC since there is a mod for it) already have the game and are asking to fix a common issue they had with the game. If 3DS owners feel like they got burned for a game they never got, that's on them.
When you say "it's a dick move" and "bad to treat their fans like this", then yeah, I wonder what was your position on S-E not releasing a localization of a game but focusing on a PS4 version.
If you were fine with it, and mad at this, when it's a smaller addition to a game you already own, then "that's on you" as you say.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Bingo.

The music in the PS4 version of DQ11 is some of the worst I have ever heard in any medium. It is crap and actually negatively impacts on my opinion of the product. Others constantly also comment on how crap the music is when they are passing through the sitting room when I am playing.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
People really really hated that MIDI soundtrack.

It was game ruining for some
That's why I waited for the announcement of an version with orchestral music. Dragon Quest VIII for PS2 got it, so why shouldn't Dragon Quest XI get it eventually? It was the main complaint for a lot of users and it's easier to fix than issues like bad level design or a bad AI.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Square complains that the Dragon Quest brand never took off in the West, stated that Dragon Quest XI must sell well if future titles are localized. Fans turn out making Dragon Quest XI, according to NPD "the biggest launch month in the series". Game is barely 3 months old in the west and they reveal that the switch version will have exclusive features. I think fans can feel slightly disappointed at least.

I don't see the problem, happens a lot and the game won't be out till the end of this year anyway.

Jan 11, 2018
Think of this is just a chance to boost more sales of the game here in the US, you're not losing something when you bought the PS4/PC version, this are just extras added. This honestly feels like entitlement to me

The issue here is that proper BGM shouldn't be considered an extra. It's really different from the other content, as it wasn't recorded for this version specifically but rather held back at the time due to the composer being a twat.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The problem is that the western version came too late.

For Japanese players, it will be a new version released some years after the original one.