• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Please, guys 😩
www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this should be here as for once Pat (angriestpat) former Super Best Friends talks about fans getting upset about their games being "censored"

Also noticing the extreme ration of likes/dislikes on this video out of all the rest since their talk about canabbalism last week only got 12 dislikes while this one is nearly 700.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Please, guys 😩
www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...
Ha sorry Morrigan, my fault. Didn't realise this thread was a thing.

(after I complained in here once before about all the anime discussion I felt left out of XD, fail!)

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Feel like this should be here as for once Pat (angriestpat) former Super Best Friends talks about fans getting upset about their games being "censored"

Also noticing the extreme ration of likes/dislikes on this video out of all the rest since their talk about canabbalism last week only got 12 dislikes while this one is nearly 700.

Well, that video certainly was not diplomatic. lol

There were some interesting parts in there, though. Like maybe how hollow alterations seem coming on the back end. It's like, you're acknowledging that maybe you did something wrong, but then it just becomes "Why did you do it in the first place?"

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Anyone here see Code Geass? I'm not really into anime anymore but a friend recommended it and it treats women like crap.

I'm at the point where they have all been murdered or kidnapped for the sake of the story, that is when they aren't half naked or at dodgy camera angles.

I'm forcing my way through it at this point but I hate almost every character in it.

Tbh I was only interested because of the character design by Clamp, which unfortunately goes to waste here and does not fit at all
Magic Knight Rayearth is a much better work with Mecha by them and there is also a video game adaptation on Sega Saturn with localisation and gameplay differences

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
TFW people say they should patch the latest new Vaan costume into FFXII, because his old one is so terrible, yet never complain about Fran.

Vaan I can at least chalk up in-universe to him just being a kid with a weird fashion sense.

Fran and her ilk all wear their getup like it's their official uniform, with those stupid heels possibly being the worst part.

That being said after playing it I'd vote for changing almost everyone's outfit anyways. Balthier was the only main character I liked look wise.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Vann's costume, never understood the complaints.
In the PS2 game, the texture for his abs looked less than good. That other part of it is that gamers can't stand young male bodies

I agree that only Balthier has a look worth saving though. The more you look at FFXII, the more suspect the designs become.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I wasn't keen on were the weird metal boots, if they were some kind of leather it mind have worked better but otherwise he looks like a fantasy Arabian archetype really and I feel the look suits his character.

The character that bothered me most wasn't actually Fran but Ashe's costume is just a train wreck to me. Pirate boots over metal knee pads with a tiny pink mini skirt, a corset that only sits around her waist with a weird top. Like nothing thematically goes together there, literally nothing and I never felt that costume reflected the personality on display either.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In the PS2 game, the texture for his abs looked less than good.

This drove me nuts.

The CG Vaan has a bruise where a nipple OUGHT be

And someone gave him like....wooden block abs in-game
3194368-0748034558-22sm5.jpg

And yeah Fran's metal thong always looked bad. I assume if Fran were added to the game we'd talk about her again because it's a dumb outfit (cool in concept, but....why her """armor"" is so exposed is for every dubious reason in the book).

TFW people say they should patch the latest new Vaan costume into FFXII, because his old one is so terrible, yet never complain about Fran.
MItY1Fr.gif

I mean, are you expecting anything else?? lol :/

f7a9cef621cf4f10bd7341f61d3e2e16.jpg

lol damn I honestly love this outfit (to some extent), but the hanging ass cheeks 🤣 C'''''MON

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Ashe's design really is a complete mess. I always thought that, given the themes she struggles with, their prominence together in the opening, and her leadership of the Rebellion, she should have worn her late husband Rasler's armor:

latest

Fran... *sigh*. Would that she had looked like some of FFTA's better takes on Viera, rather than eclipsing even its worst:

Viera.full.10963.jpg

(Gods, do the pigeon toes kill me, though.)

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dunno if you will survive that.

Personally, I think he has ups and downs like any artist. And more often than not, I feel like he nails it.

As a girl with big thighs, I kinda like his focus on that more than just going for giant titties (like most of the other artists seem go for). 🤣
I think his fashion sense is pretty interesting. Yeah sometimes it still goes down a sexualized-rabbit-hole unfortunately.
But like you, I like more than I hate.

latest

Ashe's design really is a complete mess. I always thought that, given the themes she struggles with, their prominence together in the opening, and her leadership of the Rebellion, she should have worn her late husband Rasler's armor:

latest

Fran... *sigh*. Would that she had looked like some of FFTA's better takes on Viera, rather than eclipsing even its worst:

Viera.full.10963.jpg

(Gods, do the pigeon toes kill me, though.)

I was so sad they threw out the idea of a male viera and gender-locked the two new races.... They kept a bunny girl as a "woman's class" feels just a WEE bit patronizing
FFXIV-viera-male.jpg

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that video certainly was not diplomatic. lol

There were some interesting parts in there, though. Like maybe how hollow alterations seem coming on the back end. It's like, you're acknowledging that maybe you did something wrong, but then it just becomes "Why did you do it in the first place?"

Basically. Honestly people's reaction to Pat have basically proven him right? Like the fact of the matter is that 99% of the time when people get angry about: "Self-Censorship" it's due to female characters being un-sexualized. Like the fact people brought up the Blizzard/Star Wars/Devotion stuff is dumb because the censorship is literally due to government policy that they follow due to wanting to keep business going.

Nintendo toning down the dresses and outfits wasn't due to Government mandate and rules. If they had kept the outfits the same. Nothing would have happened. The US government wasn't going to suddenly go after Nintendo.

Now is there times where localization can be messed up? Yes, stuff like changing the dungeon half-haphazardly in TMS wasn't good (though I haven't played so maybe it's a overreaction), and stuff like changing the dialogue in Eva for the Netflix release.

But those are the outliers. Again going back what I said at the start, most people who complain about censorship complain about it due to wanting to see girls in skimpy dresses. Like fuck someone (not here mind you) attacking Pat for his opinion literally started to defend the sexing of minors. Like fuck, no reason to care what they think after that.

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
At least on the Viera front in FF14 they don't lock you to ridiculous outfits. You actually start in the FF12 outfit and will quickly cover up. Here is my level 66 Dancer and I'm an adventurer that busts out sick dance moves to hit things.

9ZfMKbH.jpg

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine if Fran got a "patch" for the Zodiac Age? Ha.
Remember when developers mentioned they wanted to make sure her ass looked real nice for the new version of the game?: https://youtu.be/BTlL377GvfE?t=520

I wonder if they would do the same for Ashley Riot if by some miracle Vagrant Story got an HD Remaster.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm genuinely surprised there isn't a Suikoden "waifu gacha mobage" phenomenon going on right now. Pleasantly surprised, maybe? But deeply surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
lol WTF that artwork.. Quiet is almost one of the tamer drawings

To be fair...
maxresdefault.jpg
Still more tasteful than this absurd drawing though
I think I beat the game twice, I know about this scene already. I just hate it how a character I respect gets reduced to a pair of tits. The Boss is better than this.
Kojima would definitely approve
Fuck Kojima. I shouldn't have more respect for a character than the person whom had a hand in creating her.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: all the character designs in FFXII are bad for different reasons. Vaan is wearing a metal tank top over bare skin in the desert. Fran's and Basch's are stupid (POTHOLDER SHIRT) and Ashe's is straight ugly. I've been pondering redesigning the FFXII crew for years (with weather-appropriate variants e.g a winter version for the Paramina Rift) but unfortunately I can't draw for shit :/

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
As a girl with big thighs, I kinda like his focus on that more than just going for giant titties (like most of the other artists seem go for). 🤣
I think his fashion sense is pretty interesting. Yeah sometimes it still goes down a sexualized-rabbit-hole unfortunately.
But like you, I like more than I hate.
Was just looking at some of his earlier work (since I'm replaying Ogre Battle atm). Imagine a modern game with a protagonist dressed like this:
Destinlord.jpg

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

Decided to take a look at the comments for shits and giggles.
After skimming, they are unironically proving Pat right ahahaha. So many are tripping over their dicks to say "but it is censorship!!!" without really explaining their statements.

I know expecting some kind of decent discussion from YouTube comments is a foolhardy endeavor, but sometimes they can surprise you.
Of course not in this case lmaoo.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was not expecting Pat to be so on point in this. Pleasantly surprised.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to take a look at the comments for shits and giggles.
After skimming, they are unironically proving Pat right ahahaha. So many are tripping over their dicks to say "but it is censorship!!!" without really explaining their statements.

I know expecting some kind of decent discussion from YouTube comments is a foolhardy endeavor, but sometimes they can surprise you.
Of course not in this case lmaoo.

Theres entire threads on their reddit and on Twitter just proving him right. The luke warmest take and listeners are all up in arms all of a sudden.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Looking at games on sale in the last day of the Humble Bundle Winter sale. I'm eyeing Minoria but haven't played the other games by the developer. How bad is the fanservice? I saw a video of the protagonist fighting the tired ol' succubus design with ample bosom and tit jiggling. 🙄

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at games on sale in the last day of the Humble Bundle Winter sale. I'm eyeing Minoria but haven't played the other games by the developer. How bad is the fanservice? I saw a video of the protagonist fighting the tired ol' succubus design with ample bosom and tit jiggling. 🙄
If you're talking about Momodora there's just that one boss that's so ridiculous. Otherwise it's pretty good from what i remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.