• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was watching some music videos and Drake's "Nice for What" came on.

Female directed.
Tons of gorgeous women.
Aaaand not sexualized.

Cool and beautiful shots of girls just having fun (they're still being sexy, but don't need to put their box in the camera to do it lol)

(you may have to view on youtube to actually work, but enjoy!)

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame really- I thought the Valentines ones were really cool, smart, elegant and attractive outfits. It was nice to see formalwear rather than combat lingerie for a change.
Well it is the summer banner. They generally are the most thirst driven banners of the year for any gatcha game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Rant incoming:

Let me tell you something. This game got a pass for how much it actually fucked up. I assume this is because the majority of journalists are white and a lot of them try not to deal with any sort of political issues in games.

What the game does is far worse than I was led to believe. It's a failure of a story at multiple levels. It does not even start by trying to meaningful attempt to convince you that the Androids are human. It simply states it and asks you to accept it. That alone devalues so much of the games narrative as if you don't, the story pretty much falls apart from hour 1.

It mirrors the "immigrants are stealing our jobs" mantra found in the real world but with Androids, except that Androids in Detroit have actually caused unemployment to go up to 40% as a result of automation. I'm supposed to feel bad for the Androids, that you've told me are human but haven't shown me, okay, I'll bite. But I'm not supposed to feel bad for some homeless guy who lost his job as a result of automation? Okay. Also just a plot point that shows up for all of 5 minutes as window dressing never to be tackled again.

Race. Oh boy. The best way to describe Detroit is a game written by white privlidged dudes trying to explain to other privlidged white dudes what racism is. Not a single moment in this game do you ever get the inkling that the writer has ever suffered an ounce of oppression in any way. At the games best, it's a collection of Wikipedia quotes used to evoke the movements without any thought to deeper meaning. In my playthrough, there was not a single moment of oppression that was an original thought. Every single one could be linked to something popular in the media. And it's just used as is. Like window dressing. At it's worst, the game sends huge conflicting messages. The game is filled with black folks yet only one has a line that references what they suffered, and the game brushes it off immediatly. One line in my entire playthrough, that's it. It is the most hollow and fake representation of minorities in a game I've seen in a while.

Kara. She's scared of the big black Android when they first meet. But, surprise, he's actually a nice guy. He exists to serve as exposition in case you didn't understand the themes of Kara's story line, as he reiterates them a couple of times for you. He's also the strong big presence to protect Kara because otherwise, all she can do the entire game is pretty much run from danger. Ugh.

There's so much wrong with this games story that I'd be writing for ages here. And some of it I feel more qualified to write about (PoC perspective), and some of it, I'd rather a female individual write about (Kara).

Cause fuck, this game should be getting raked over the coals.

Edit: Oh I totally forgot about the shameless Holocaust stuff in the game too... cause everything else wasn't bad enough, we had to have that as well.

Sounds like a David Cage game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
New Fire Emblem Heroes summer banner. Let's have a look.
First up, Noire: is this pose even possible? Feels like it needs to be sent over to the Hawkeye Initiative for examination by the archer-contortionist himself.

4ccRKS.jpeg

Dear lord. Kill it with fire.
uzumaki_v01_c005_166-scaled6961.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with many points brought up in this discussion, but any kind of political message is bad in video games. It is not a propaganda plattform, just because people try to turn it into one. Period. VIDEO GAMING SHOULD BE 100% NEUTRAL EXCEPT IF IT IS BASED ON HISTORICAL EVENTS

Everything is political, even trying to not be political is political.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a David Cage game.
9r22gqu.png

At the end of the day, the problem with every David Cage game is that they are about David Cage. No amount of extra writers or developers has been able to mitigate this as of yet, and I don't foresee it happening in the future. Despite Detroit easily being the most playable of Cage games, it's still extraordinarily problematic due to the politics being filtered through the lens of Cage.

Last edited:

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
9r22gqu.png

At the end of the day, the problem with every David Cage game is that they are about David Cage. No amount of extra writers or developers has been able to mitigate this as of yet, and I don't foresee it happening in the future. Despite Detroit easily being the most playable of Cage games, it's still extraordinarily problematic due to the politics being filtered through the lens of Cage.
I'm so disappointed that some of those won't get filled in.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little behind on the official bingo sheet, but I randomized my own and I'm pretty sure it will, haha. The workshopping for those squares was great and some purposeful out there options selected. The game doesn't reach the absurd levels of Beyond Two Souls it seems.
And the irony is that if such absurdity were included the game would actually be better, rather than worse. (And on that Bingo card, I count at least 3 Bingos that I'm aware of...)

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
And the irony is that if such absurdity were included the game would actually be better, rather than worse. (And on that Bingo card, I count at least 3 Bingos that I'm aware of...)
Haha, good to know.

Cage really seemed to play it safe, which means it's just mediocre and adds absolutely nothing new to the 'androids are alive' sci-fi trope. It's both disappointing and exactly what I expected at the same time. The world building is so absurd and I can't suspend my disbelief at all, nearly every scene I've witnessed had a moment where I couldn't believe how dumb something was (if not outright offensive because of the numerous hamfisted civil rights metaphors).

The only thing it has going is presentation.

Deleted member 45166

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2018
As a woman, I agree and disagree with this thread. Some of the argumentation is decent, but most of it is over-simplified. Men are very visual. Just a quick google-search will show you many articles to support this claim:

So it's natural for capitalistic ventures (like video-games) to cash in on this very real biological aspect. Harlequin Romances cash in what women like (with more focus on senses and a cerebral experience).

You simply can't throw evolutionary biology out of the window here. What we do need are more women in the industry. I, personally, dislike harlequin romances (they're simply made for a vicarious experience; I dislike such things on principle), but women dominate the Romance genre and know what women want. Same would be true for video-games as well. More women should come into the industry to make games for women. This criticism can only go so far.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, good to know.

Cage really seemed to play it safe, which means it's just mediocre and adds absolutely nothing new to the 'androids are alive' sci-fi trope. It's both disappointing and exactly what I expected at the same time. The world building is so absurd and I can't suspend my disbelief at all, nearly every scene I've witnessed had a moment where I couldn't believe how dumb something was (if not outright offensive because of the numerous hamfisted civil rights metaphors).

The only thing it has going is presentation.
I'm mostly just glad that Cyberpunk 2077 is a thing because Cage has a way of poisoning the well that is often unjustified and the not-so-far future aesthetic via the likes of Shadowrun is one of my favorites.
As a woman, I agree and disagree with this thread. Some of the argumentation is decent, but most of it is over-simplified. Men are very visual. Just a quick google-search will show you many articles to support this claim:

So it's natural for capitalistic ventures (like video-games) to cash in on this very real biological aspect. Harlequin Romances cash in what women like (with more focus on senses and a cerebral experience).

You simply can't throw evolutionary biology out of the window here. What we do need are more women in the industry. I, personally, dislike harlequin romances (they're simply made for a vicarious experience; I dislike such things on principle), but women dominate the Romance genre and know what women want. Same would be true for video-games as well. More women should come into the industry to make games for women. This criticism can only go so far.
I don't think anyone is really making statements as to evolutionary biology so I'm not sure I see where that's coming from. Just stating that men are visual is itself an oversimplification. Most arguments aren't really towards the capital argument, but there's plenty of provisional evidence in every media that objectification and reliance on the male gaze is by no means necessary, whether you're talking small scale projects or billion dollar blockbusters.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
which means it's just mediocre and adds absolutely nothing new to the 'androids are alive' sci-fi trope.
Almost no sci-fi media I consume at this point adds anything substantially new, but it can still be very entertaining. Detroit is like iRobot for me. Not particularly deep, but a fun popcorn blockbuster. Some nice acting, music and good choice implementation to make it worthwhile. No substantial plotholes helps too and the world building, while not outstanding, is still a solid effort with some nice lore to be discovered within which is more that can be said for some other stuff.

To stay somewhat on-topic, going off YouTube, Twitch, the fanart on Twitter and our OT Detroit seems to be quite popular with women which I found interesting. Especially Connor seems to be their favorite

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Fire Emblem Heroes summer banner. Let's have a look.
First up, Noire: is this pose even possible? Feels like it needs to be sent over to the Hawkeye Initiative for examination by the archer-contortionist himself.

4ccRKS.jpeg

We've also got Innes, who clearly shops at the same assymetrical surf shack as Tidus.
roIG1D.png

Followed by Cordelia. Managing to be cavalry in those ankle-busting high-heeled sandals. And shopping at the same surf shack as Pyra. At least she didn't follow Innes I suppose. Cool shell/harpoon thing detail though.
4NCMuI.png

Finally, Tana. Why bother with an Armourslayer Sword when you can whip everyone into submission with a beach towel.

ialI47.png

Except for the first one with her back, I don't really see a problem with the rest considering that it is a summer thing.

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except for the first one with her back, I don't really see a problem with the rest considering that it is a summer thing.
Hm, let's see, in real life wars... did the army ever strip down because "Ahh it's too hot, I'm better off fighting half naked with a lot of skin exposed, essentially leaving myself extremely vulnerable to blows."?

MonadoPurge

Apr 30, 2018
North Carolina
Hm, let's see, in real life wars... did the army ever strip down because "Ahh it's too hot, I'm better off fighting half naked with a lot of skin exposed, essentially leaving myself extremely vulnerable to blows."?
I fully agree on this statement. Thats such a good point. This doesn't happen in real life, so then why should it be portrayed in video games. With graphics in video games seeming to look more "real" these days, logic doesn't seem to.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a gatcha game. You aren't supposed to generally take the silly filler event stuff seriously. That's why their weapons are shit like inflatable water toys and watermelon axes.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
With games like Gone Home, The Last of Us and The Last Guardian, I feel moved by them as much as any piece of creative work. There's something genuine about the storytelling and emotional impact that transcends it being just a game or just a story. When I play a David Cage game, even Detroit, which might be his best, I'm just like, "Yep. This sure is a game that looks like a movie."

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well...there was the Battle of Telamon in 225 BC where the Celts fought in the buff against the Roman Empire.

...The Romans won.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like I said, based that it's an obvious summer promotion, the designs are fine as they are. I'm only talking about it in that aspect, idk how it is into the game or what happens, never played it.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

I really never understood this line of thinking and always seemed like such a cop out to me. Women are visual creatures too, very much so. I mean hell we're stereotyped to hell and back as being good at art and design so on and then somehow when it comes to sex we're supposed to magically not care about visuals.

"Evolutionary biology" is becoming a catchphrase for pseudoscience based on what that particular person feels.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, based that it's an obvious summer promotion, the designs are fine as they are. I'm only talking about it in that aspect, idk how it is into the game or what happens, never played it.
Most stuff like this are just stand alone filler stories that they put out between the bigger story pieces if they have one.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
With games like Gone Home, The Last of Us and The Last Guardian, I feel moved by them as much as any piece of creative work. There's something genuine about the storytelling and emotional impact that transcends it being just a game or just a story. When I play a David Cage game, even Detroit, which might be his best, I'm just like, "Yep. This sure is a game that looks like a movie."
I felt more from Hyper Light Drifter's story than any David Cage game.
Almost no sci-fi media I consume at this point adds anything substantially new, but it can still be very entertaining. Detroit is like iRobot for me. Not particularly deep, but a fun popcorn blockbuster. Some nice acting, music and good choice implementation to make it worthwhile. No substantial plotholes helps too and the world building, while not outstanding, is still a solid effort with some nice lore to be discovered within which is more that can be said for some other stuff.

To stay somewhat on-topic, going off YouTube, Twitch, the fanart on Twitter and our OT Detroit seems to be quite popular with women which I found interesting. Especially Connor seems to be their favorite
Well that's nice, I disagree with nearly all of your points there and think it's a very mediocre piece of media that fails at delivering any of its messages.
I'm mostly just glad that Cyberpunk 2077 is a thing because Cage has a way of poisoning the well that is often unjustified and the not-so-far future aesthetic via the likes of Shadowrun is one of my favorites.
I'm extremely excited to see what they do with the setting, I want to a real return to that 80s punk aesthetic (which that e3 trailer looked to deliver on).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
While I agree that that first one is obviously the issue out of the four, there is also the fact that, when offering swimwear/marriage banners, most of the characters are the young female ones. It's not uncommon to have banners consisting solely of groups of scantily-clad young women out of a combined cast of hundreds of characters, it's incredibly unbalanced. You can argue that 'that's what sells/that's gacha', but it's still part of the problem.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree that that first one is obviously the issue out of the four, there is also the fact that, when offering swimwear/marriage banners, most of the characters are the young female ones. It's incredibly unbalanced.
Well they were more balanced last year, but they probably adjusted the ratio based on who was spending the most. It sucks for people who wanted more male servants.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well they were more balanced last year, but they probably adjusted the ratio based on who was spending the most. It sucks for people who wanted more male servants.
Oh, I'm sure that's what happened, I still don't think it's a good thing just because it's more profitable though- the game rakes in the cash anyway. In addition to the increasing ratio focussing on scantily-clad young women, even when the costume isn't necessarily the issue, there's also the posing in that the girls are drawn to show off their curves as much as possible while the guys just stand there. That's why I find the Hawkeye Inititive so amusing. I wonder what the 'damaged' art will look like, as there's also a tendency for the girls to look embarrassed/scared while the guys look stoic/angry. There are some nice art/outfits, but it's some of the trends I find annoying.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You simply can't throw evolutionary biology out of the window here.

I agree. We also need to throw bones, carefully examine the inards of birds, and ask a Hollow Earther for input. You just can't throw that kind of knowledge out of the window!

I think you are oversimplifying to an almost comical extent, especially with the evo psych line. Remember: it's pseudoscience. It's not testable, and largely based on stereotypes. Things are like so and so today, therefore they must have been like this ten thousand years ago, and therefore, it's natural and the way people are. But that's simply not the case, and usually doesn't actually hold up to scrutiny - and discards the impact of culture almost entirely.

The romance genre, is it "what women want"? Why is fanfic (ie, non-commercial, done for fun and the enjoyment of other fanfic fans) different from that genre, then? Isn't the romance genre actually just what men allowed to sell to women historically? Female sexuality hasn't even been acceptable-ish for even ten years - that's the blink of an eye in terms of a society! "This arouses a woman" is still a punchline in media. You yourself devote a line to distance yourself from what other women supposedly want. Isn't that telling?

Videogames aren't like this because of evo psych pseudoscience. It's much simpler: They're like this because marketing departments decided to gender their audience to maximize engagement of the male audience, who was slightly bigger a percentage at the time. That's it. The existance of entire ranges of games (that the mainstream videogame industry largely ignores, such as adventure/hidden object games) proves that quite well. Look at indie games. Many of these were extremely successful despite a lack of sexdoll characters. Why is that? That wasn't only women. There's a lot of men whose tastes the industry ignores with their current design trends, too.

I'd argue that the sexdoll designs we see so often are just the "nochunky sauce" issue for female character designs, not some evopsych mandatory thing with no alternative.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
"Men are visual so video games should have sexual panderingl". Lol what. Tetris is visual too, men play it, and it doesn't need pornography to succeed.

Deleted member 45166

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
I agree. We also need to throw bones, carefully examine the inards of birds, and ask a Hollow Earther for input. You just can't throw that kind of knowledge out of the window!

I think you are oversimplifying to an almost comical extent, especially with the evo psych line. Remember: it's pseudoscience. It's not testable, and largely based on stereotypes. Things are like so and so today, therefore they must have been like this ten thousand years ago, and therefore, it's natural and the way people are. But that's simply not the case, and usually doesn't actually hold up to scrutiny - and discards the impact of culture almost entirely.

The romance genre, is it "what women want"? Why is fanfic (ie, non-commercial, done for fun and the enjoyment of other fanfic fans) different from that genre, then? Isn't the romance genre actually just what men allowed to sell to women historically? Female sexuality hasn't even been acceptable-ish for even ten years - that's the blink of an eye in terms of a society! "This arouses a woman" is still a punchline in media. You yourself devote a line to distance yourself from what other women supposedly want. Isn't that telling?

Videogames aren't like this because of evo psych pseudoscience. It's much simpler: They're like this because marketing departments decided to gender their audience to maximize engagement of the male audience, who was slightly bigger a percentage at the time. That's it. The existance of entire ranges of games (that the mainstream videogame industry largely ignores, such as adventure/hidden object games) proves that quite well. Look at indie games. Many of these were extremely successful despite a lack of sexdoll characters. Why is that? That wasn't only women. There's a lot of men whose tastes the industry ignores with their current design trends, too.

I'd argue that the sexdoll designs we see so often are just the "nochunky sauce" issue for female character designs, not some evopsych mandatory thing with no alternative.

Do you have any counter-argument bar a snide start to your post (and sprinkles of it every where else)? The first two paragraphs are literally pointless, with your whole antagonistic approach. If you have some research articles, then you can show me. Things, by the way, don't change so quickly in regards to evolution. Sexuality is more instinct based and less culture based: it's actually moulded or dictated by cultural trends in more ways than one. And culture always changes. In fact, it changes geographically and periodically. It's a two-fold change. I didn't claim culture shouldn't be considered: I said that evolutionary biology shouldn't be discarded entirely. There's a clear cut difference between these two. Your lack of understanding of my simple post is baffling.

You do realize that women writers dominate Romance genre (currently), right? I've got no clue what you're even suggesting, as the rest of your post comes across as random ideas that have little to do with my post. I was talking about women being more in tune with how women want to be portrayed in the media, hence the example of Romance Genre and its popularity. What does your paragraph have anything to do with mine?

I really never understood this line of thinking and always seemed like such a cop out to me. Women are visual creatures too, very much so. I mean hell we're stereotyped to hell and back as being good at art and design so on and then somehow when it comes to sex we're supposed to magically not care about visuals.

"Evolutionary biology" is becoming a catchphrase for pseudoscience based on what that particular person feels.

Women are not as visual as men, and the link clearly explains why: "... their sexual motivation pathways have more connections to the sub-cortical reward system than in women." Though this is just one of the few reasons.

I believe you misunderstood my post, which is absurdly simple: I stated that evolutionary biology shouldn't be thrown out entirely in the analyses of this topic. There's a maw of difference between this, and what you're implying.

I don't think anyone is really making statements as to evolutionary biology so I'm not sure I see where that's coming from. Just stating that men are visual is itself an oversimplification. Most arguments aren't really towards the capital argument, but there's plenty of provisional evidence in every media that objectification and reliance on the male gaze is by no means necessary, whether you're talking small scale projects or billion dollar blockbusters.

Did I claim it's a necessity? Three people replied to my post, and all three failed to grasp a post so simple.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"Men are visual so video games should have sexual panderingl". Lol what. Tetris is visual too, men play it, and it doesn't need pornography to succeed.

It always surprise me how low some men think about themselves/their gender.

Edit:well the poster was a woman. Still a false and stupid argument (that men also use it).

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
The thing that bothers me the most about summer Noire and the back thing is I just don't see how that's attractive. Now, I'm mostly lesbian so it should be attractive to me, right? Nope. It just looks wrong on so many levels. Do guys find this attractive?

It's a real shame, too. She's one of the few female characters with actual musculature that I've seen. Just look at her, she's ripped! That's awesome.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017

A few things I want to say from your last few posts:

1. Nowadays women aren't limited to writing romances. I'd argue that some of the best known authors of this century are women. See The Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Especially the later, which has made her author one of the richest people in Great Britain. Considering that writters get like 15% of a book actual price at best, she must have sold quite a few millions.
2. Appealing to all senses and a cerebral experience is not something that is exclusive to Harlequin romances. Writting has limitations, like every other form of storytelling, because you're limited to the use of words print in a paper or in a screen. Any actually good writter knows how to use different resources to circumvent that limitation to produce the desired effect to the reader. That's why stuff like metaphors exist. Furthermore, doing descriptions using "the 5 senses" is something that you often learn in creative writting courses.
3. It's possible that capitalistic ventures would use this supposed biological aspect for titillation. It's possible to do so without trying to knock at my 13 years old self door and asking him if that character is hot enough for me.
4. Hormone responses and brain neural connections can take shape and change due to a huge variety of reasons. A lot of those are acquired through life. Addictions, for example, exist because of the reward centers of the brain, so there is biological reasons for their existence, but that doesn't mean they aren't a direct consequence of a certain and acquired behavior. Even if there is proof that maybe men are more "prone" to those than woman, I don't see anywhere that those are genetic and not a consequence of the overflowing amount of information that we're exposed to since early age.
5. We know next to nothing about how sexuality, gender identity and all those things actually work right now. Researchers even recognise that fact.
6. The test subjects here can't be isolated from cultural influences, so I honestly can't find the conclussions... well, conclussive enough. Pair that with the fact that the world has only recently taken an interest in sexuality and gender identity and I think it's absolutely too early to take those as fact. If lets say, in 30 years, stuff like watching porn, masturbating and the likes are not taboo among women anymore (like they aren't for a big proportion of men under 40) and the results are the same, then I'll review my views. Until then, I'd say that this tests are flawed due to the stark differences between men and women backgrounds, so I'll take the information given with a pinch of salt for now.

Loved the part about "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like".

Desmios

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
When someone criticizes a gay kiss scene, I always hear:

"Do not like it? This is done by a private company, so DO NOT Buy"

In that case, that phrase also applies ("just do not buy") ??

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017

It's very different when heterosexuality is shoved in your face everywhere, whereas displays of homosexuality are still extremely rare to this day (let alone positive displays of homosexuality).

Deleted member 45166

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
A few things I want to say from your last few posts:

1. Nowadays women aren't limited to writing romances. I'd argue that some of the best known authors of this century are women. See The Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Especially the later, which has made her author one of the richest people in Great Britain. Considering that writters get like 15% of a book actual price at best, she must have sold quite a few millions.
2. Appealing to all senses and a cerebral experience is not something that is exclusive to Harlequin romances. Writting has limitations, like every other form of storytelling, because you're limited to the use of words print in a paper or in a screen. Any actually good writter knows how to use different resources to circumvent that limitation to produce the desired effect to the reader. That's why stuff like metaphors exist. Furthermore, doing descriptions using "the 5 senses" is something that you often learn in creative writting courses.
3. It's possible that capitalistic ventures would use this supposed biological aspect for titillation. It's possible to do so without trying to knock at my 13 years old self door and asking him if that character is hot enough for me.
4. Hormone responses and brain neural connections can take shape and change due to a huge variety of reasons. A lot of those are acquired through life. Addictions, for example, exist because of the reward centers of the brain, so there is biological reasons for their existence, but that doesn't mean they aren't a direct consequence of a certain and acquired behavior. Even if there is proof that maybe men are more "prone" to those than woman, I don't see anywhere that those are genetic and not a consequence of the overflowing amount of information that we're exposed to since early age.
5. We know next to nothing about how sexuality, gender identity and all those things actually work right now. Researchers even recognise that fact.
6. The test subjects here can't be isolated from cultural influences, so I honestly can't find the conclussions... well, conclussive enough. Pair that with the fact that the world has only recently taken an interest in sexuality and gender identity and I think it's absolutely too early to take those as fact. If lets say, in 30 years, stuff like watching porn, masturbating and the likes are not taboo among women anymore (like they aren't for a big proportion of men under 40) and the results are the same, then I'll review my views. Until then, I'd say that this tests are flawed due to the stark differences between men and women backgrounds, so I'll take the information given with a pinch of salt for now.

Finally, a decent response:

1: I didn't suggest that women are limited to writing Romances: I used the Romance Genre as a analogy as it's dominated by women. It's just an analogy, not a 'be all and end all' paradigm.

2: That's not what I mentioned, but you've brought a good argument on the table: these writers know which senses to target because they're women. My main argument was that women can understand women better in regards to 'sexual' content.

3: Absolutely, which is why I suggested that both things should be considered, and this time for women, too. Developers should consider that, which sexual markers do they enjoy in visual mediums? Because pandering, if that's the reason for capitalistic ventures, shouldn't be limited to men only.

4: Could very well be true, but there has to be some co-relation between the two, no? I don't believe it's wise to dismiss this altogether.

5: More or less agreed.

6: I don't know how many would agree with me, and maybe that's an extreme stance, but I really despise main-stream pornography. Sure, search does show that men and women search for different things, and porn is being made for women now, too, but man, it needs to be regulated ... so, I'm more or less in agreement with this argument as well.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Did I claim it's a necessity? Three people replied to my post, and all three failed to grasp a post so simple.
No, you implied it. Just as you're implying that I failed to grasp your post without actually responding to any of my comments. So once again, what does evolutionary biology have to do with the vast majority of responses here that are not basing any of their argumentation on it? And if you more or less agree with RalchAC that we know next to nothing about sexuality from a research perspective, how is it relevant?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Gay people kissing does not rely on reinforcing societal norms about a woman's role to appeal to men sexually.

Deleted member 45166

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
No, you implied it. Just as you're implying I failed to grasp your post without actually responding to any of my comments. What does evolutionary biology have to do with the vast majority of responses here that are not basing any of their argumentation on it? And if you more or less agree with RalchAC that we know next to nothing about sexuality from a research perspective, how is it relevant?

That's not how implicature works, and I if wanted to say something, I would've said it outright. I'm fairly blunt by nature. Your post mostly talked of things my post had little to do with. That was a response to OP, not anything else. If I wanted to respond to someone's comments, I would've quoted the said person. So to say that you didn't grasp a simple post (and responded with a bizarre argument about 'responses') would be an understatement. Unless you expect someone to read 300 plus pages, which no one would have the time nor the patience for, then this argument is going off a tangent to Lord knows where.

Also, I said 'more or less'--I didn't state "I completely agree." Whilst more research is needed, it isn't sound to completely discard existing research. To state that we know "next to nothing" about sexuality is hyperbolic.

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
That's not how implicature works, and I if wanted to say something, I would've said it outright.
Funny, because I'd say this entire response is being intentionally obtuse, aside from the last part.
I'm fairly blunt by nature. Your post mostly talked of things my post had little to do with. That was a response to OP, not anything else. If I wanted to respond to someone's comments, I would've quoted the said person. So to say that you didn't grasp a simple post (and responded with a bizarre argument about 'responses') would be an understatement. Unless you expect someone to read 300 plus pages, which no one would have the time nor the patience for, then this argument is going off a tangent to Lord knows where.
So are you going to answer the question about why you're bringing up evolutionary biology when no one else is using it as a form of argumentation, or are you going to continue to sidestep it?

edit: and actually, since I've got some free time, I can go point-by-point as to how my initial argument directly addresses the points you made in detail, if you'd like.
Also, I said 'more or less'--I didn't state I completely agree. Whilst more research is needed, it isn't sound to completely discard existing research. To state that we know "next to nothing" about sexuality is hyperbolic.
*sigh* Ok.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45166

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Funny, because I'd say this entire response is being intentionally obtuse, aside from the last part.

So are you going to answer the question about why you're bringing up evolutionary biology when no one else is using it as a form of argumentation, or are you going to continue to sidestep it?

*sigh* Ok.

You almost hit the jackpot with irony.

Why can't I bring it up? "Others haven't brought it up, so you can't bring it up!" What sort of absurd and juvenile argument is this?

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
There really isn't any deep reason for it. I saw the original post and thought it needed to be stated. That's all there's to it.
So if you yourself don't have a particularly strong reason for bringing it into the conversation, do you understand why others might also consider it to not be particularly relevant to the discussion?

Deleted member 45166

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
So if you yourself don't have a particularly strong reason for bringing it into the conversation, do you understand why others might also consider it to not be particularly relevant to the discussion?

How's it irrelevant to the discussion that centers on depictions of sex in video-games? It seems to me that you simply want to dig a mountain out of a mole-hill at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.