• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
If you replace Cyberpunk with Harry Potter here, would anyone agree? If you say, "You can enjoy Harry Potter and also still be against transphobia."

I don't know, does not seem right, you know?

Anyways, I am glad that my interest in Harry Potter universe evaporated so long ago. Still couldn't believe the creator of such a charming universe is in actuality such a hateful person.

No, you can't really compare the two this way.

Cyberpunk is a game made by a company of multiple different people. Yes, there is transphobia associated with the product and the company, that much is undeniable. But you can still enjoy the game and the non-transphobic parts of it. And for what It's worth, as transphobic as CDPR has been, they haven't done nearly the kind of damage to trans people as J.K. Rowling has. They're not actively pushing anti-trans legal agendas that are being used in british parliament.

With companies like CDPR and Activision Blizzard, the only real end goal there is to just make a bunch of money for CEOs at the top. You can totally still purchase games from them and not want the practices going on there to continue. At the end of the day, the individual's purchase of a product within a free market isn't the driving force that will affect change at the top. What will in those cases are the actions of the people who work there coming together and fighting back. Supporting THOSE people and their efforts will have much more of an impact than just simply choosing whether or not to buy Overwatch 2 or Diablo 4.

With Harry Potter, it's another story because we're dealing with the actions of one person who is actively using that influence and power she has to push her own agenda. Harry Potter is a cultural touchstone that J.K. Rowling is fully aware of and wants to use to her advantage. Many anti-trans agenda pushers look up to her and similarly embrace that influence.

I like to consider myself as very anti-absolutist when it comes to the products that I buy and/or engage with, and have accepted that I'll probably be supporting some form of abuse no matter what I enjoy. I still want to get Diablo 2 Remastered on my Switch, for instance. But J.K. Rowling is one of those creators and influencers who lies on the far, far end of the scale of extremes to a point where I won't be looking to engage with the property any time soon.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I can't judge anyone who still likes and supports Harry Potter. We all have to decide for ourselves what our line is, and that often involves compromise.

I think threads like this where ppl attack others for where they draw the line is unhealthy.
Everyone has their mental gymnastics and lines they draw. It's just not worth the effort trying to police that or even judge others. Just focus on yourself and stay true to your convictions.
Agreed with these

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'll judge others for openly supporting and adoring Harry Potter while putting on the ally pin and doing little else. Not in a 'condemn you to hell' way, but I'll still consider it awkward at best if you feel the need to talk Harry Potter around me, or join into a conversation purely to make the point that it's alright to still support work that aids someone in making the living situation of trans people across a nation more difficult and unsafe.

Especially if the time of your choosing to do so is during Trans Awareness Week or Trans Day of Remembrance.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it suspicious when people are keen to come into a topic about something like this and make sanctimonious declarations about drawing lines and such.

We all pick our battles, but most of us have the tact and decency not to wear the battles we don't choose to fight as a badge of honor. Or invade spaces where people are discussing the battles they've picked and lines they've drawn and complain about judging others.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally we'll just get to a point where people will be okay with going somewhere else to talk about that game. Not every game needs a platform here, in my mind.
I think it's more likely because with Cyberpunk's case, it had transphobic content from both the game and PR/ marketing and there was room for discussion of content, and trans members did play and discussed the transphobic elements, but with HP, the problem is not that there's transphobic content in the series, but that every cent spent on the IP is money being given to JK. An OT for that is basically endorsing support for JK.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I always find it suspicious when people are keen to come into a topic about something like this and make sanctimonious declarations about drawing lines and such.

We all pick our battles, but most of us have the tact and decency not to wear the battles we don't choose to fight as a badge of honor. Or invade spaces where people are discussing the battles they've picked and lines they've drawn and complain about judging others.
Yeah and some people really want to seem like allies in a low-effort manner while not able to handle the cognitive dissonance that they could be perpetuating the problem, so they use all kinds of justifications to avoid feeling discomfort. When they could just listen and shut up, go on about their day.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Holy crap if you must continue adoring and purchasing the Harry Potter series then don't come into this thread and parade around at what you believe in. It's so easy to just stay quiet and disagree but some people really seem to have to make paragraphs explaining why they are justified in enjoying the series. Don't know why you have to do that.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I guess that's how "live and let live" plays out for me. We all have blind spots or moments where we acknowledge something or its creator is problematic, but I'll enjoy it or come to terms with it on my own or with a group of likeminded people without the need to broadcast how okay I am in spaces dedicated to discuss how problematic said work is.
And honestly, that's a really low bar.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I know he's banned for a month (should have been longer) but m4st4's point about the girl who wrote a "beautiful review of Azkaban" really pissed me off.

Who gives a fuck about one girl finding her passion in reading and writing an amazing review of it, over the safety and well-being of thousands of innocent people? Like how much of a cunt do you have to be to even suggest that as a counterpoint. 🖕🏽

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know he's banned for a month (should have been longer) but m4st4's point about the girl who wrote a "beautiful review of Azkaban" really pissed me off.

Who gives a fuck about one girl finding her passion in reading and writing an amazing review of it, over the safety and well-being of thousands of innocent people? Like how much of a cunt do you have to be to even suggest that as a counterpoint. 🖕🏽
It's so emotionally manipulative to put up a little girl as ammo for an argument against a whole marginalised group.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'll judge others for openly supporting and adoring Harry Potter while putting on the ally pin and doing little else.
This. Exactly this. No more of this "everyone draws their line differently and who are you to judge" bullshit. If your position on the topic is "fuck Rowling but I want HP in Multiversus and can't wait for the next HP game", your supposed allyhood means absolutely nothing.

To the people spewing triteness like "you can dislike Rowling and like Harry Potter" (as if it was some pearl of shades-of-gray wisdom that nobody else had even considered before)... neither of these things are the point. Your dislike is completely useless if it won't lead to action. Your love of Harry Potter is not what anyone is taking issue with.

Not buying stuff that goes to Rowling's pocket is the absolute, bare minimum that could be asked of a self-appointed "ally". If even that is too much for you to do, then at least have the decency not to act surprised or hurt when people subsequently deduce how much you actually care about trans rights.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
"Transphobia and TERFs are bad! But like, I really need to keep buying HP merch, you guys get it right?"

We do get it, we get that your statements only mean anything when you don't have to sacrifice anything important... Because trans individuals lives and livelihood are obviously less important than plastic wands and digital characters in a fighting game to you.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Honestly it still bums me out that the Universal Parks have Wizarding World sections and that one of them made me miss out on Jaws the Ride. Granted that ride also had a heavy maintenance cost.

Walking through those sections during my trip in Orlando back in July, I was just internally screaming throughout, especially seeing just how big the lines of the rides are. It does further paint a picture just how popular that IP is. Arguably the only ride that matched the wait times was the new Velocicoaster.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think we misunderstand each other - I completely agree with you. In fact, I was arguing against somebody who had the point I think you believe I have.

He was saying that HP is still legitimate because a kid who he works with loves reading because of it, my response was basically yours. That yes, lots of people loved HP in the past tense but that doesn't make it appropriate now.

There are countless better written children's/YA fiction that aren't putting the coins in the coffers of dangerous transphobes.

Oops, my bad for completely misreading the conversation, but yes we agree then!

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Genuine question. Would buying anything HP related in this game actually help Rowling? Or is the goal to not support anything HP related until companies stop associating with it because it hurts their sales? I'm just trying to understand the end goal here, especially considering Rowling is already set for life with money.

Dec 2, 2017
Genuine question. Would buying anything HP related in this game actually help Rowling? Or is the goal to not support anything HP related until companies stop associating with it because it hurts their sales? I'm just trying to understand the end goal here, especially considering Rowling is already set for life with money.
lol, transparent

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame WB would have to give royalties to Rowling. Harry Potter is so huge that I have a bad feeling they won't ignore it.

If he's paid DLC, I won't buy him.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
When i say "extreme", it's more about choosing to buy or not a product, and trying to make people feel bad about their choices. Of course it's not extreme to say that J.K Rowling sucks.

Is "not buying a game" really an "extreme" thing to do? And if knowing that you are financially supporting someone who actively lobbies for harming trans people and is a global figurehead for transphobia makes you feel bad, that's on you to figure out. Trans people have enough stuff to deal with. If having that tiny amount of emotional complexity to deal with when buying a video game is too extreme for you to handle, then I'm not sure what you (not you specifically, but the royal you) stand for here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

As Kyuuji and many others have noted. it's the brand that is the problem. A brand owned by one woman who uses the influence she's obtained to spread transphobia and hatred:

To break it down a little too, J.K. Rowling is a legitimately awful person who has:
  • Helped drive trans children toward self harm and suicide.
  • Helped reduce the ILGA score of the UK by being a prime motivator in increased hostility towards trans people.
  • Related transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw the most basic reform for Gender Recognition in the UK scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Put out numerous transphobic articles and tweets turning perception of fans and followers against trans people.
  • Helped influence a move that saw young trans people face further hardships in accessing trans-affirming healthcare.
  • Been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms, increasing the violence and uncertainty trans people face.
Rowling is actively destructive to trans lives, especially those in the UK and of younger people looking to live as themselves.
She is someone who continues to cause irreparable damage to trans people in this country and abroad.

🏳️‍⚧️

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
People in this thread equating not buying a couple of video games to putting gas on cars and using cell phones.

Like, holy fucking shit, people.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll take a look at some of the links provided by Android Sophia via Kyuuji.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread equating not buying a couple of video games to putting gas on cars and using cell phones.

Like, holy fucking shit, people.
A reminder, this is not because people value video games that highly... But rather they value their support of trans people that little.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
"But but but but some of the oxygen you breathe is produced by trees planted by slave laborers so you better stop breathing too!!!!"

like holy hell what a wild ride of shit that was

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder, this is not because people value video games that highly... But rather they value their support of trans people that little.

You don't even need to leave Era to see that. Just look at how few views the Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance got, despite the trans flag visible in the logo and the former thread pinned.

Everyone calls themselves an ally. Few are willing to educate themselves. Even fewer are willing to act. But they can all pat themselves on the back for buying Hogwarts Legacy used instead of new. That's true allyship, right? Right?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
But they can all pat themselves on the back for buying Hogwarts Legacy used instead of new. That's true allyship, right? Right?
The bar is so low that people actually bothering to buy HP games used would be a marked improvement. I mean, if we have people not just buying HP shit new but being tone deaf enough to tell us about it, here of all places...

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Guessing you're from York?

It's a shame it's so ingrained in our culture. It really does show the influence she has here, and sadly, that's reflected in the countries attitude.

Yeah, York. Mostly quite a nice city but the HP stuff is very awkward at this point.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
To break it down a little too, J.K. Rowling is a legitimately awful person who has:
  • Helped drive trans children toward self harm and suicide.
  • Helped reduce the ILGA score of the UK by being a prime motivator in increased hostility towards trans people.
  • Related transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw the most basic reform for Gender Recognition in the UK scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Put out numerous transphobic articles and tweets turning perception of fans and followers against trans people.
  • Helped influence a move that saw young trans people face further hardships in accessing trans-affirming healthcare.
  • Been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms, increasing the violence and uncertainty trans people face.
Rowling is actively destructive to trans lives, especially those in the UK and of younger people looking to live as themselves.
She is someone who continues to cause irreparable damage to trans people in this country and abroad.

🏳️‍⚧️
we have a whole thread on this if anyone would like some further reading

www.resetera.com

TERF JK Rowling continues to be a hateful bigot.

Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we’re going to make it official: News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things...
These are good, thank you kindly. Lord Vatek, can we get these threadmarked?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly a little unsure on how exactly how I feel about people continuing to implicitly support the franchise through things like wanting characters in the roster of this, and much more so through the upcoming game. I expect I really won't know for sure until this stuff is more of a reality and more coverage of it happens; I think I might feel a lot more strongly by then.

For now at least, I think if you just quietly enjoy the franchise, even quietly buying the new things in it, because of your nostalgia and the need for something comforting in that way... y'know, for me personally I don't think I have much issue with you? If you are fully aware of what you are indulging in, that certainly doesn't make it all good, but we have much less of a problem. Though the "quietly" there is key. Partially in the sense of minimizing how much attention you're helping to give to the franchise. Given how mainstream it is, your decision to buy it or not probably isn't really going to affect the overall sales (though that doesn't make it pointless to "vote with your wallet" or boycott the game). But I think lowering the visible support it gets and how long attention is paid to things can have meaningful results despite that.

But more than that, also "quietly" in the sense of... I just cannot fucking stress enough how sick I already am of hearing the ridiculous shit people say to defend liking the series both here and elsewhere. More often than not even having the gall to spout it without any shame or remorse right to the faces of trans women trying to talk about the very real costs of her transphobia. Any time I hear someone talk about how it sucks that she's a TERF in the same breath as saying just how inherently important the books are, how they have so much to teach kids about kindness and tolerance, how much marginalized fans benefitted from having the books growing up, how they're special books that got kids to read, how it's fine if you can just separate art from the artist (with or without certain comparisons that invite sign-tapping), how we can't just stop reading them because they're just so special, how much a shame it is that she disregarded her own messages when she became like this... all that just tells me is that no, you actually do not get the issue.

Because saying that stuff lets me know me something about you very directly: that actually, no, you really do not understand that Rowling is a transphobe, a hateful person, a bigot. You show that you're more worried about the reputation of the series you like being compromised than you're worried about the very real people that are now being harmed by her rhetoric and influence and money. And that in the process you've missed completely that this means that the series itself was already compromised. Just absolutely 0 awareness that this development might mean that there's some things already in your beloved series that reflect her beliefs, that she was always like this, that the feelings you've taken away from it might be more due to your own heart than what's in hers and on the page. That it might be time to think about the things she wrote with a slightly more critical lens than you used when you were a child. That saying "you can separate art from the artist" still requires you to be critical of the art. But you'd rather ever so politely show everyone your entire ass instead of reckoning with any of that.

And if you aren't going to bother to reckon with it, at least don't make me listen to you proudly say as much.

Tangentially relevant:

There was an entry in this year's Interactive Fiction competition that was about a fandom/fan-fic community that gets blown up when its beloved author reveals themselves to be... rather Rowling-like in her transphobia. It was the game that I rated most highly among the entries I played.

A Paradox Between Worlds is entirely text-based, so lots of reading, but I thought about conversations I've seen here while playing it. The primary mechanic--beyond reading--is choosing whether to like and/or reblog posts.

One of the cool things it does is show how even the smallest social actions online have ethical consequences.

This isn't self-promotion: I don't know the author, and it's free. A worthwhile read for a couple of hours imo.

Ok, kinda weird to stick this at the end of the above post, but...

Wanted to thank you for linking this - it's been a good long while since I kept up with IF Comp/Spring Thing (and even then I usually just checked out stuff Emily Short reviewed, tbh), and this looks good. I'll try to make some time for it soon.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You don't even need to leave Era to see that. Just look at how few views the Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance got, despite the trans flag visible in the logo and the former thread pinned.
*checks number after this post
*compares number to others

.. I'm genuinely surprised. I'll keep annoying Discord when I'm feeling like posting myself, but that *is* a low number.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It's not enough for some people to just continue consuming the product with a bigoted creator, they have to loudly trumpet it for all the world to hear. Like, if you're not going to divest yourself from it, at least be pragmatic in your apathy. Or perhaps don't, maybe it's better marginalized communities know where others stand.

And thank you Vatek for the threadmarks.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am honestly a little unsure on how exactly how I feel about people continuing to implicitly support the franchise through things like wanting characters in the roster of this, and much more so through the upcoming game. I expect I really won't know for sure until this stuff is more of a reality and more coverage of it happens; I think I might feel a lot more strongly by then.

For now at least, I think if you just quietly enjoy the franchise, even quietly buying the new things in it, because of your nostalgia and the need for something comforting in that way... y'know, for me personally I don't think I have much issue with you? If you are fully aware of what you are indulging in, that certainly doesn't make it all good, but we have much less of a problem. Though the "quietly" there is key. Partially in the sense of minimizing how much attention you're helping to give to the franchise. Given how mainstream it is, your decision to buy it or not probably isn't really going to affect the overall sales (though that doesn't make it pointless to "vote with your wallet" or boycott the game). But I think lowering the visible support it gets and how long attention is paid to things can have meaningful results despite that.

But more than that, also "quietly" in the sense of... I just cannot fucking stress enough how sick I already am of hearing the ridiculous shit people say to defend liking the series both here and elsewhere. More often than not even having the gall to spout it without any shame or remorse right to the faces of trans women trying to talk about the very real costs of her transphobia. Any time I hear someone talk about how it sucks that she's a TERF in the same breath as saying just how inherently important the books are, how they have so much to teach kids about kindness and tolerance, how much marginalized fans benefitted from having the books growing up, how they're special books that got kids to read, how it's fine if you can just separate art from the artist (with or without certain comparisons that invite sign-tapping), how we can't just stop reading them because they're just so special, how much a shame it is that she disregarded her own messages when she became like this... all that just tells me is that no, you actually do not get the issue.

Because saying that stuff lets me know me something about you very directly: that actually, no, you really do not understand that Rowling is a transphobe, a hateful person, a bigot. You show that you're more worried about the reputation of the series you like being compromised than you're worried about the very real people that are now being harmed by her rhetoric and influence and money. And that in the process you've missed completely that this means that the series itself was already compromised. Just absolutely 0 awareness that this development might mean that there's some things already in your beloved series that reflect her beliefs, that she was always like this, that the feelings you've taken away from it might be more due to your own heart than what's in hers and on the page. That it might be time to think about the things she wrote with a slightly more critical lens than you used when you were a child. That saying "you can separate art from the artist" still requires you to be critical of the art. But you'd rather ever so politely show everyone your entire ass instead of reckoning with any of that.

And if you aren't going to bother to reckon with it, at least don't make me listen to you proudly say as much.
Again, absolutely this. Well put.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
It's not our fault that JK is a transphobic piece of shit who wants us dead.
Can someone help me with some links that support this claim. That JK wants trans people dead. Clarifying, I'm not expressing an opinion one way or another, I just want the information where this conclusion was drawn from. Seems extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Edit: Thanks for the answers everyone. I understand and sympathize with the feeling expressed alot better now.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
Can someone help me with some links that support this claim. That JK wants trans people dead. Clarifying, I'm not expressing an opinion one way or another, I just want the information where this conclusion was drawn from. Seems extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Another one 'just asking questions' you are very transparent. You could read the long thread linked in this thread, or the information already supplied in this thread by users, but instead you made this post. Transparent.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Another one 'just asking questions' you are very transparent. You could read the long thread linked in this thread, or the information already supplied in this thread by users, but instead you made this post. Transparent.
INo need for you to come to conclusions based on one post. You're welcome to look into my post history to find evidence of all my transparent posts.

If I'm guilty of something maybe it was of posting in a thread with a sensitive/important topic, when I don't have the time right now to read through the whole thread. If this is insulting, then I apologize for that. Anything beside that...

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
She has never directly said "I want all trans people to die". It's that she is aware of the suicide and murder rate of trans people but doesn't care enough to consider that when pushing her rhetoric. She is focused on hypothetical scenarios where cis women get attacked in bathrooms or the definition of words over the actual real and dire consequences for trans people.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
INo need for you to come to conclusions based on one post. You're welcome to look into my post history to find evidence of all my transparent posts.

If I'm guilty of something maybe it was of posting in a thread with a sensitive/important topic, when I don't have the time right now to read through the whole thread. If this is insulting, then I apologize for that. Anything beside that...

Just to be clear, it's unfortunately very common for a lot of trans people to get constantly asked questions. We're always asked to shoulder the burden of explaining ourselves and advocating for ourselves because cisgender people don't want to ever do it. Transphobes and TERFS take advantage of that fact to basically barrage us with questions under the guise of gaslighting. Not to say that WriterInTheDark was entirely right to jump to conclusions, but you would get tired too if you constantly had to fight and explain your own existence. Especially when said existence is under jeopardy thanks to a extremely popular woman who holds a lot of sociopolitical power around the world.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Eh, effective transphobia is often more subtle than someone openly stating they want trans people dead. In this instance Rowling has knowingly continued to push her cause despite understanding how transphobia, lack of access to healthcare and affirming environments increases the suicide risk of trans people and make the world a less safe place for us.

She's been openly told by charities that her rhetoric is sending trans children and families of trans youth to them with cases of self harm and attempted suicide, yet she has done nothing to course correct. The opposite in fact, she's doubled down on it at every turn.

Consider that when you know your actions are leading to legal reforms being scrapped, anti-trans legislation being introduced, access to vital healthcare being denied, trans people being driven to suicide, and the safety score for trans people in an entire country to be lowered - and your response is to continue on regardless, then you are content with trans death being a consequence of them.

Which is indistinguishable from an open desire, aside from the fact that veiled language aids in galvanising support where open calls for our murder (which, to be clear, have followed on in the wake of the sentiment she has championed, provoked and stoked) would be less likely to be held up and given breath by every media outlet in the country. A luxury she enjoys and puts to use in spreading her harmful rhetoric.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, effective transphobia is often more subtle than someone openly stating they want trans people dead. In this instance Rowling has knowingly continued to push her cause despite understanding how transphobia, lack of access to healthcare and affirming environments increases the suicide risk of trans people and make the world a less safe place for us.

She's been openly told by charities that her rhetoric is sending trans children and families of trans youth to them with cases of self harm and attempted suicide, yet she has done nothing to course correct. The opposite in fact, she's doubled down on it at every turn.

Yeah. Exactly. Subtly is their best friend. They don't need to openly wish we're dead. If they want us dead, they need only sow the seeds of doubt in society. Claim hormones are bad for kids. Claim that trans girls have an advantage in sports. Claim that we're a danger and will attack people in bathrooms. The more we're excluded from society, the more a significant number of us will end up dead due to homelessness, or due to a lack of healthcare, or HIV/AIDS, or to violent attacks from transphobes. It's why we have Transgender Awareness Week, and the Day of Remembrance. Because if we don't advocate for ourselves, transphobes will advocate against our existence.

(Fully aware you already know this, Kyuuji, but I feel like I need to point it out for the cis folks who just don't get it and continue to not get it.)

Rowling may not being saying "Kill all the trans people", but she knows what the hell she's doing. She knows she doesn't need to say the most violent of rhetoric for us to be harmed.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah. Exactly. Subtly is their best friend. They don't need to openly wish we're dead. If they want us dead, they need only sow the seeds of doubt in society. Claim hormones are bad for kids. Claim that trans girls have an advantage in sports. Claim that we're a danger and will attack people in bathrooms. The more we're excluded from society, the more a significant number of us will end up dead due to homelessness, or due to a lack of healthcare, or HIV/AIDS, or to violent attacks from transphobes. It's why we have Transgender Awareness Week, and the Day of Remembrance. Because if we don't advocate for ourselves, transphobes will advocate against our existence.

(Fully aware you already know this, Kyuuji, but I feel like I need to point it out for the cis folks who just don't get it and continue to not get it.)

Rowling may not being saying "Kill all the trans people", but she knows what the hell she's doing. She knows she doesn't need to say the most violent of rhetoric for us to be harmed.
Absolutely. I just edited in another section making this point even more clear before I saw your reply. You don't need to openly call for it when it's the natural consequence of what you're doing. Resting on dog-whistles and veiled concern allows you to have your message supported and given air by major media outlets nationwide and abroad, while allowing regular members of the movement you instigated and are at the helm of to take it to the extremes.