• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
More information

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
To break it down a little too, J.K. Rowling is a legitimately awful person who has:
  • Helped drive trans children toward self harm and suicide.
  • Helped reduce the ILGA score of the UK by being a prime motivator in increased hostility towards trans people.
  • Related transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw the most basic reform for Gender Recognition in the UK scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Put out numerous transphobic articles and tweets turning perception of fans and followers against trans people.
  • Helped influence a move that saw young trans people face further hardships in accessing trans-affirming healthcare.
  • Been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms, increasing the violence and uncertainty trans people face.
Rowling is actively destructive to trans lives, especially those in the UK and of younger people looking to live as themselves.
She is someone who continues to cause irreparable damage to trans people in this country and abroad.

🏳️‍⚧️

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Doubt so. All IP owners would have to be paid one way or another. If HP characters are inside, your money will indirectly be contributing. It's just a matter of "how much".

Are you sure? I assumed Rowling only gets an initial sum for the rights to use Harry, plus a percentage of Harry-related MTS (skins and whatnot). The first would be long done, and the second could be avoided easily. Unless every rights holder got equal percentage of all the money made, instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Harry Potter should be added to trash instead of this game. That's what should happen.

Fuck the TERF and fuck JK Rowling. Trans rights are human rights. Just cause some people have nostalgia for problematic things doesn't justify ignoring the issues its creator is actively doing. JK Rowling is actively harming Trans people. Stop giving her money.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Harry Potter was a big part of my childhood, I was there for all the books and all the movies, but it's now dead to me. I don't engage, I don't support, it's just gone. There's so much amazing fiction out there that doesn't directly support oppression. You can live without the wizard boy and his garbage extended universe.

Other thread
Dec 2, 2017
we have a whole thread on this if anyone would like some further reading

www.resetera.com

TERF JK Rowling continues to be a hateful bigot.

Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we’re going to make it official: News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things...

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
we have a whole thread on this if anyone would like some further reading

www.resetera.com

TERF JK Rowling continues to be a hateful bigot.

Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we’re going to make it official: News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things...
Hadn't noticed there was a thread being updated, thanks. Will definitely be good for future linking.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what, do I burn my books as well? No thanks.

Obligatory fuck J. K. Rowling, but leave fictional characters out of it.

You and many other have already bought the books, paid to see the movies and maybe bought some merchandise, the difference is that now you now know that supporting her works is supporting a transphobic agenda.

You cannot separate the fiction from the creator if the creator stands to directly benefit from whatever money you spend on the fiction.

Fuck J. K Rowling

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
To break it down a little too, J.K. Rowling is a legitimately awful person who has:
  • Helped reduce the ILGA score of the UK by being a prime motivator in increased hostility towards trans people.
  • Related transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw the most basic reform for Gender Recognition in the UK scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Put out numerous transphobic articles and tweets turning perception of fans and followers against trans people.
  • Helped influence a move that saw young trans people face further hardships in accessing trans-affirming healthcare.
  • Been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms, increasing the violence and uncertainty trans people face.
Rowling is actively destructive to trans lives, especially those in the UK and of younger people looking to live as themselves.
She is someone who continues to cause irreparable damage to trans people in this country and abroad.

🏳️‍⚧️

Well said, this goes well beyond "just giving her money".

Can we please make this post the OT for HL staff?

Chosen Onez

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2021
Damn....she's nuts.

Im not surprised someone who made a shitty IP like Harry Potter also has shitty personal beliefs

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
People actively asking for HP characters of all things was my daily reminder of how most Era users wear the whole civil rights / anti-bigotry thing as a fashion accessory with no actual engagement or effort on their part. It's fucking Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. :(

It's probably just me, but this is the only place on the internet that I ever see people get so riled up about HO and Rowling. My observation is that most people don't know about her association to LGBT or dont care.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's probably just me, but this is the only place on the internet that I ever see people get so riled up about HO and Rowling. My observation is that most people don't know about her association to LGBT or dont care.
It's definitely been discussed plenty on Twitter; though with the nature of social media sites like that it's very easy to miss it.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

🏳️‍⚧️
She's a horrible piece of shit!!

I'm so fucking happy I never actually liked Harry Potter.

Deleted member 10494

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2021
Harry Potter should be added to trash instead of this game. That's what should happen.

Fuck the TERF and fuck JK Rowling. Trans rights are human rights. Just cause some people have nostalgia for problematic things doesn't justify ignoring the issues its creator is actively doing. JK Rowling is actively harming Trans people. Stop giving her money.

Her giving money to causes she supports are also a human right, doesn't make it right for you and me, but it does go both ways.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have no interest in Smash clones, but for the ones that do, I really hope the Potter characters will only be DLC characters, so fans won't have to worry about the standard game.
Man, it sucks how such a hateful person is still paid off by so many platforms and no one of note is standing up to her and just.. idk, does not use the Potter license, when having the option.

🏳️‍⚧️

Oct 27, 2017
It is and there's no changing that fact.
Who sets the facts, you?

Cause nobody has the right to make other people's life a living hell. What she is doing is fund hate and violence against trans people. That isn't a right.

Being accepted for who you are IS a right on the other hand. If JK wants to go live in a ditch somewhere being a hateful piece of shit then that's her right but not when she is actively harming innocents.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
No, I'm say that human rights are static have no preference or allegiance to anyone.
You ran in here solely to point out that Rowling has a right to support and champion things that harm trans people. You sound like you're trying to come up with some deep take but tripping over yourself in the process. People are critical of Rowling for the damage she's caused to trans people and our lives. You being like "well she has that right" in response to that isn't saying anything at all. It's just weird.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People actively asking for HP characters of all things was my daily reminder of how most Era users wear the whole civil rights / anti-bigotry thing as a fashion accessory with no actual engagement or effort on their part. It's fucking Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. :(

I seriously dont get it, I was a huge HP fan and it was such a large part of my childhood. I have long since packed up the books and any merch I had so I really dont buy any one that says they cant disconnect from the franchise.

Jun 24, 2021
I'll never understand Rowling. It was just so easy to just keep her mouth shut and continue to take in the money from everyone but she couldn't help herself. She had to open make her opinion public, tarnish her brand, and alienate a chunk of her fan base. The attention she's getting over this cannot be something she thoroughly enjoys right? If only she had kept her opinions to herself.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Her giving money to causes she supports are also a human right, doesn't make it right for you and me, but it does go both ways.
No, it's not. "giving money to causes" of any sort whatsoever is not mentioned in the Declaration of Human Rights.

What is, however, is the right to life, liberty and security of person, and freedom and equality in dignity and rights. which Rowling is actively fighting against.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The attention she's getting over this cannot be something she thoroughly enjoys right?
Oh she does. She's revered as the brave hero, a defiant speaker of truth, by her supporters and the British press as a whole. She revels in putting herself out there as the protector of those affected by 'trans ideology' and soaking up the praise she gets in response each time. Not to mention the satisfaction she gets from doing everything she does while claiming to support and love trans people.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm saying that human rights are static have no preference or allegiance to anyone.
There's so much demonstrably false or outright disingenuous with your transphobic bullshit.

1. Giving to anti-trans "causes" isn't a human right.
2. Human rights as generally defined have a hierarchy because it's always understood that they can conflict. Typically, trans people's right to simply exist and be left the fuck alone supercedes any right you imagine to "give money to people who want to erase trans people".
3. Your dumb argument falls apart the minute I say "it's my right to campaign to make sure as few people as possible give Rowling money or visibility".
4. You really equated people's right to just be to a billionaire using her money and clout to make sure they can't be, huh

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

🏳️‍⚧️
Thanks for this post. As someone who doesn't really follow this stuff (though I'm aware of her stance) this really goes to show how bad it gets. While it's a mostly meaningless gesture, I won't start supporting Harry Potter.

Jun 24, 2021
Oh she does. She's revered as the brave hero, a defiant speaker of truth, by her supporters and the British press as a whole. She revels in putting herself out there as the protector of those affected by 'trans ideology' and soaking up the praise she gets in response each time. Not to mention the satisfaction she gets from doing everything she does while claiming to support and love trans people.
You're probably right. I just can't imagine having billions in the bank and a mansion in England and spending my time and energy saying shit that would tarnish the brand I built when I have so many more fun things I could be doing with my infinite pile of money I have over here. She could be in a private island water skiing with her family but instead she chose to tweet and cause controversy.

I'd make for a very quiet and boring billionaire I realize now.

Deleted member 10494

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2021
You ran in here solely to point out that Rowling has a right to support and champion things that harm trans people. You sound like you're trying to come up with some deep take but tripping over yourself in the process. People are critical of Rowling for the damage she's caused to trans people and our lives. You being like "well she has that right" in response to that isn't saying anything at all. It's just weird.

Huh?

I said that human rights are static, not that she should be supporting causes like the one she supports.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I reckon people here will buy the Harry Potter game too

Yes and nothing will ever change because the Harry Potter fanbase can only scream, but won't boycott their favourite franchise so in the end Rowling will still get money and won't give a fuck about people uprising online. Most people that I've told about Rowling and her being a shitty TERF didn't care, because it doesn't matter for Harry Potter itself. Reason is that she is not Harry Potter but I absolutely disagree with that. But yeah WB will put Harry in any form. It's easy money and that's all that matters.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I lost all interest in the franchise when she displayed her true colours. Fuck JK Rowling, and fuck all transphobes.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I used to use Harry Potter all the time as examples for my students in English classes e.g. to describe narrative structure or descriptive writing elements

Now it literally feels so uncomfortable to do that. I never mention it. It just feels wrong and like she's tainted it completely.

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much demonstrably false or outright disingenuous with your transphobic bullshit.

1. Giving to anti-trans "causes" isn't a human right.
2. Human rights as generally defined have a hierarchy because it's always understood that they can conflict. Typically, trans people's right to simply exist and be left the fuck alone supercedes any right you imagine to "give money to people who want to erase trans people".
3. Your dumb argument falls apart the minute I say "it's my right to campaign to make sure as few people as possible give Rowling money or visibility".
4. You really equated people's right to just be to a billionaire using her money and clout to make sure they can't be, huh
Said better than I ever could.

Thank you.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I've heard plenty of poor excuses for ignoring transphobia before, yet somehow that one was totally new to me.

Good riddance.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
So what, do I burn my books as well? No thanks.

Obligatory fuck J. K. Rowling, but leave fictional characters out of it.

Looks like you've eaten a ban, so I probably won't see a response for some time; But you do understand that there is a difference between enjoying what already existed before someone turned out to be ethically dubious, and actively supporting content that funds and provides an influential platform to somebody actively doing harm to a marginalised community?

Nobody is saying burn your books for fuck sake.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I've heard plenty of poor excuses for ignoring transphobia before, yet somehow that one was totally new to me.

Good riddance.
I don't get why these accounts even bother to register, then post random "supportive" shit into as many trans-related threads they can find within a few days, only to immediately show their true colors all at once, completely imploding on themselves in one random other thread only hours later.

Every time.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are you sure? I assumed Rowling only gets an initial sum for the rights to use Harry, plus a percentage of Harry-related MTS (skins and whatnot). The first would be long done, and the second could be avoided easily. Unless every rights holder got equal percentage of all the money made, instead.

I don't know. Unless someone comes out and let us know what are the terms we probably won't know. You are probably right.

My guess is even if you buy a costume, probably only part of the money goes to the IP owner, and the rest goes to the publisher. No matter how you spin it, support for the game with the HP IP means you are indirectly supporting Rowling.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why these accounts even bother to register, then post random "supportive" shit into as many trans-related threads they can find within a few days, only to immediately show their true colors all at once, completely imploding on themselves in one random other thread only hours later.

Every time.
I definitely foresee hordes of "Oh it's okay, I'm buying Hogwarts Legacy used" incoming

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My dude, you basically accused someone of being a transphobe for wanting Harry Potter in the game without also cursing Rowling in the same breath, to which point they said they hate Rowling, to which you said "Too late" like you just scored an Ace Attorney gotcha.
My dude... kindly stop making shit up. I never once accused them of "being a transphobe"; I accused them of not giving a shit; if you can't understand the difference (or, let's be honest, don't care to dispute my point without constructing a strawman), that's entirely on you.

As for my frankly underwhelmed reaction to their "oh yeah, and fuck Rowling", it's not a matter of timing or whatever other fantasy you have constructed in your head; I would have called them out exactly the same if their very first comment in the thread had been "fuck Rowling but I want HP in this game". Actually, you know what, scratch that: I would have called them out earlier. I didn't reply to their original comment because I chose to charitably interpret it as them perhaps not being aware of her transphobic shit; it was only when they were reminded of Rowling's transphobic agenda, and they still kept pushing for it, that I took issue. If they had said "fuck Rowling" from the start, then that interpretation goes out the window: they are fully aware, but just don't give enough shits to not ask for her characters in a videogame.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
If I'm being honest, people draw the line in the sand with JK because it IS easy.

But we see how it is when the stakes are actually massive, but yet just as easily avoidable. Netflix has willingly promoted a transphobe to spread hate on their platform for years and continue to promote that person who is one of the highest paid and widely known entertainers of our time. But come on, I can't be expected to cancel my Netflix subscription, what about all that content?! No, I think I'll just not read some books I was never going to read again anyway.

Everyone has their mental gymnastics and lines they draw. It's just not worth the effort trying to police that or even judge others. Just focus on yourself and stay true to your convictions.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thank you.

These threads are often an excuse to judging people because they're not as extreme as others. Fuck J.K. Rowling, but i'm still happy for people that are fan of the IP if they got characters out of it. Sometimes, a shitty author still change your life because of the world he/she created. That's just how it is.

Also, the cynical in me feels like J.K Rowling won, she's set for life (and the next 20 ones). Can't really feel conflicted if she get more money because of a game.
It's not extreme to criticise JK Rowling and her involvement in media, and for a game company to employ her work. If a work changed your life, I hope it was before you became aware of her harm because if it's after, then I'm sorry if some people are "extreme" in prioritising trans lives over an IP. This is for you and others who think they can have no conflict in supporting a game featuring her creations. We ain't about judging folks as bad people but just know she does active harm to trans lives.

🏳️‍⚧️

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Doubt so. All IP owners would have to be paid one way or another. If HP characters are inside, your money will indirectly be contributing. It's just a matter of "how much".
We don't know (and probably will never know, short of the unlikely scenario of one of the involved people outright saying so) which of the two is true, in this specific instance. I want to underscore it is not safe to assume either of the above is true. Treat this as you would a dish when you have a deadly allergy: if the game includes Harry Potter stuff, and you want to absolutely ensure none of your money goes to Rowling, the only safe move is to not spend any money whatsoever in it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I feel bad for anyone doing the Hogwarts Legacy OT next year, so many people excited for that game but anything Harry Potter is just covered in Rowling's dumb opinions. Actually, I wonder if Era will even allow a standard OT for Hogwarts Legacy, if at all; I imagine it might be similar to what happened with Cyberpunk.

But for Multiversus, it has lots of characters, lots of IP on show, so shouldn't be too much of an issue, maybe Era should just flag the thread with the fact that Harry Potter characters appear.

I'm not really the intended audience for Multiversus but I know for sure if I do ever play it, I won't buy any HP characters.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I feel bad for anyone doing the Hogwarts Legacy OT next year
Of all the people deserving of my sympathy, I don't find it in myself to spare much for whoever actively decides to put their time to making an OT promoting a Harry Potter game in the year of our Lord 2022. You make it sound as if someone put a gun to their heads or something.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

🏳️‍⚧️
Thanks for the breakdown. Will come in handy the next time I want to inform some friends not in the know.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Of all the people deserving of my sympathy, I don't find it in myself to spare much for whoever actively decides to put their time to making an OT promoting a Harry Potter game in the year of our Lord 2022. You make it sound as if someone put a gun to their heads or something.
I mean true, very true. I wouldn't pick the game do an OT of, that's for sure. There will no doubt be those asking for an OT though and expecting it. I doubt any of the main OT creators on here would want to do one for that game though. Many people didn't want or had similar thoughts about Cyberpunk and that game still got an OT and the decision was made that no other Cyberpunk threads were allowed, so all discussion must take place in the OT and the OT wasn't an OT, it was filled with statements and charity links supporting Trans rights and such. This is my assumption what would happen with Hogwarts Legacy but that's the staff's choice I guess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean true, very true. I wouldn't pick the game do an OT of, that's for sure. There will no doubt be those asking for an OT though and expecting it. I doubt any of the main OT creators on here would want to do one for that game though. Many people didn't want or had similar thoughts about Cyberpunk and that game still got an OT and the decision was made that no other Cyberpunk threads were allowed, so all discussion must take place in the OT and the OT wasn't an OT, it was filled with statements and charity links supporting Trans rights and such. This is my assumption what would happen with Hogwarts Legacy but that's the staff's choice I guess.

Ideally we'll just get to a point where people will be okay with going somewhere else to talk about that game. Not every game needs a platform here, in my mind.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
As a person who talks classic and modern literature with young adults due to nature of my work... I have bad news.

You know what? Burn the books. Burn them all, go full on Fahrenheit.

-Reminding people J. K. Rowling went full on bonkers bad human is a-okay
-Telling people to not play/buy skins/feel bad about a fictional character feeding a billionaire, not okay... Why? Because then I have to tell a girl last week who sent a beautiful review of Azkaban that in fact this book that fueled her love for reading sucks... and thats far worse than your hypocricy

Like I said, be consistent, start burnin.

I know this person has been banned but what an utterly ridiculous post. You would think someone who brags about being educated in literature would at least refrain from saying such stupid things.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
luckily i never enjoyed HP as a child so I have no problem at all removing her work from my life. But the Hogwarts game is gonna be massive sadly

Same here generally but unfortunately I live in a city where for some reason Harry Potter is part of the cities culture. Because of the aesthetic of certain streets we have a whole diagon alley esque street filled with Harry Potter merchandise stores.

Sadly it's difficult to avoid even though I've never bought anything Harry Potter related.