• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Almost surprising IW is so quickly going to start falling behind TFA domestically.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
US ? That's some drop !

It's a normal drop for a spring release. Endgame still has the highest second Monday of any spring release in history.

Holidays. That's why blockbusters get saved for Christmas now. ROTK became #2 all time as a holiday release, Avatar became #1, TFA #3.

Yeah, at this point TFA is not a good comparison for Endgame, two weeks of holidays gave TFA insanely good weekday numbers.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Almost surprising IW is so quickly going to start falling behind TFA domestically.
Not that EG will beat it in the end as it won't but you can't compare summer days vs christmas days, TFA was always going to catch up, it's first couple of weeks are unlike anything else. Endgame should eventually get to 850-900m which is great.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If this thing has Infinity War legs, like it's starting to look like it might have, then it'll get something like a 2.5-2.6x multiplier, which would put it at around 3.02-3.14 billion. It would have to have considerably worse legs than Infinity War to not even reach Avatar at this point. At the moment I think 3 billy is the "somewhat likely but not locked yet" endgame for Endgame while Avatar is fairly certain.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now that the 2nd weekend talk is over. How do you guys think Endgame will fare against TFA for it's 3rd weekend? Will it do $90m? Will it do more or less?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this thing has Infinity War legs, like it's starting to look like it might have, then it'll get something like a 2.5-2.6x multiplier, which would put it at around 3.02-3.14 billion. It would have to have considerably worse legs than Infinity War to not even reach Avatar at this point. At the moment I think 3 billy is the "somewhat likely but not locked yet" endgame for Endgame while Avatar is fairly certain.
What films opened after Infinity War? Did it have strong competition or not?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weekend 3 had no competition for Infinity War. With a IW drop Endgame would hit 79.5 mil and Endgame has actual competition this week.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
All the good stuff last year this time was before IW, such as A Quiet Place, Rampage, Blockers. Mid May had Deadpool 2 but IW was already in it's 3rd weekend by then.

Edit: So really no competition.
I mean, if John Wick 3, Detective Pikachu & Aladdin are considered competition that will cut legs of Endgame, then Deadpool 2 and Solo certainly were for Infinity War as well. Deadpool 2 in particular opened really big and Solo was bigger than Detective Pikachu will end up being, unless it starts seeing some considerably increases in its opening weekend predictions.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I imagine it will have similar % weekdays to Infinity War and again a slightly worse weekend as Pikachu is a bigger release than IW had. 70-75

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see Endgame dipping this weekend but getting back up the next. Pikachu strikes me as either having a strong start with weak legs, or a modest start with modest legs.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if John Wick 3, Detective Pikachu & Aladdin are considered competition that will cut legs of Endgame, then Deadpool 2 and Solo certainly were for Infinity War as well. Deadpool 2 in particular opened really big and Solo was bigger than Detective Pikachu will end up being, unless it starts seeing some considerably increases in its opening weekend predictions.

Agree but IW (released April 27th) didn't have competition until May 17th which was when Deadpool 2 was released, 3 weeks later. (Solo was released practically a month later) Vs Endgame which now has Pikachu as a potential threat potentially making $50m-$80m during Endgames second week and the John Wick on it's 3rd week. In other words, Endgame has far more competition than IW did and it won't stop leading into July.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deadpool 2 & Solo were in May.
All the good stuff last year this time was before IW, such as A Quiet Place, Rampage, Blockers. Mid May had Deadpool 2 but IW was already in it's 3rd weekend by then.
Edit: So really no competition.

I see, thanks for the information.

I wonder if Pikachu is a direct competition? Like, I think DP is a family film (Or at least hits the under 25 demo) while Endgame hits the four quadrants outright.

I think both will cut some of their % short, but both will have decent legs since there are no big family releases until June? With Pets 2 and Dark Phoenix?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see, thanks for the information.

I wonder if Pikachu is a direct competition? Like, I think DP is a family film (Or at least hits the under 25 demo) while Endgame hits the four quadrants outright.

I think both will cut some of their % short, but both will have decent legs since there are no big family releases until June? With Pets 2 and Dark Phoenix?
By the time Pets 2 and Dark Phoenix release Endgame won't be in the top 3 anymore so that really isn't a big deal.

We have a film each week for the rest of the month with a good shot at opening above 50m. Pikachu this week, John Wick 3 next week, Aladdin the following week. And rounding out the month with Godzilla.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
By the time Pets 2 and Dark Phoenix release Endgame won't be in the top 3 anymore so that really isn't a big deal.

We have a film each week for the rest of the month with a good shot at opening above 50m. Pikachu this week, John Wick 3 next week, Aladdin the following week. And rounding out the month with Godzilla.
You think Phoenix is going to open above 50 million? Would you be willing to bet on it?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah I don't necessarily mean a percentage rise as much as position. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets another #1 before Aladdin.
This week would be the week. Since next week is Wick 3 presales have been very strong. Then the following week is Aladdin.

I think it beats Pikachu this week. I am thinking 75m for Endgame and 70m for Pikachu.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah I don't necessarily mean a percentage rise as much as position. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets another #1 before Aladdin. John Wick can go either way though.
I understood but yeah you're right, if Endgame stands a chance at another #1 weekend it'll have to be this weekend as I feel by the time John Wick 3 is out, Endgames legs will be that of a dwarfs.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sidenote: What about Rocketman? I don't see that mentioned a lot here yet I feel it will be Godzilla's competition. Releases the same day as Godzilla.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get these threads. "Avengers comes in second places" but the OP has it being #1 everywhere. Wtf is this?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get these threads. "Avengers comes in second places" but the OP has it being #1 everywhere. Wtf is this?

giphy.gif

Jul 18, 2018
It's a normal drop for a spring release. Endgame still has the highest second Monday of any spring release in history.
Yeah, at this point TFA is not a good comparison for Endgame, two weeks of holidays gave TFA insanely good weekday numbers.

Don't get into the nuances of movie releases mate because the argument is meaningless when someone brings in a point saying EG opened up in more theaters than TFA ever did and markets like Asia where Star Wars has no cultural impact. Yet TFA was able to reel in that much cash.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever decided to put Brightburn next to Aladdin, in the same window as Endgame, Pikachu, John Wick, and Godzilla, is an idiot. Seems like it would have done fine for itself in a more quiet month.
it's that soon? I thought it was going to be near the end of the year. Sent to die

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Don't get into the nuances of movie releases mate because the argument is meaningless when someone brings in a point saying EG opened up in more theaters than TFA ever did and markets like Asia where Star Wars has no cultural impact. Yet TFA was able to reel in that much cash.
The downplaying of TFA's run is incredible to witness. From "it didn't have good legs" to "it released during the holidays" as if that's some golden ticket for the numbers it put up.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The downplaying of TFA's run is incredible to witness. From "it didn't have good legs" to "it released during the holidays" as if that's some golden ticket for the numbers it put up.

No one's downplaying TFA's run, unless you're denying that the holiday season had any impact on it's numbers, in which case you're just delusional.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No one's downplaying TFA's run, unless you're denying that the holiday season had any impact on it's numbers, in which case you're just delusional.
When did I ever say that. People are absolutely downplaying its run, I had an almost two page back and forth with someone who said "its legs fell off of a cliff" after the holidays when they actually improved, so either you're missing the conversations that happened or you can't read.

No one is denying that releasing during the holidays bolstered its run. But it's not the first movie to ever release during the holidays so that's not the only reason why it was wildly successful.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Sure, but at this point there are tons of people who have already seen Endgame (and people who would never have gone to see it, even if DP & JW3 didn't exist) to throw around some 50-60 million dollars for DP and JW3 without it affecting what Endgame can do at that point all that much.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
When did I ever say that. People are absolutely downplaying its run, I had an almost two page back and forth with someone who said "its legs fell off of a cliff" after the holidays when they actually improved, so either you're missing the conversations that happened or you can't read.

No one is denying that releasing during the holidays bolstered its run. But its not the first movie to ever release during the holidays so that's not the only reason why it was wildly successful.

Anyone who says that TFA's legs fell off a cliff after the holidays is delusional as well, as a quick look at the numbers will prove otherwise. I only see people saying that TFA had good weekday numbers its first and second weeks because of the holidays, which is absolutely true since you don't get those kinds of numbers on working weekdays. To try to compare TFA and Endgame on that basis is foolish.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who says that TFA's legs fell off a cliff after the holidays is delusional as well, as a quick look at the numbers will prove otherwise. I only see people saying that TFA had good weekday numbers its first and second weeks because of the holidays, which is absolutely true since you don't get those kinds of numbers on working weekdays. To try to compare TFA and Endgame on that basis is foolish.
But Endgame has posted amazing numbers on working weekdays thus far. Though it'll begin to plumitt very soon.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Its weekend legs strengthened after the holidays though, despite weekday performance. I made a long post (in which was conveniently ignored) detailing its weekend numbers earlier in the thread.

I'm not making any comparisons to Endgame or stating that the holidays didn't help its performance. But people need to give credit where it's due because that's not the only reason it was a huge success. Just spouting off HOLIDAAAAAAYS is disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.