Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I wouldn't say no to a level squish, but hearing that almost make me wanna stop lvling my very low lvl alts if they're going to reduce this as 60 or 80...
But, I'm guessing that if they plan on lowering the levels, they'll make gaining lvls slower too.
Yeah, I'd suspect that total XP to max level will stay about the same, they'll just change 120 to 80 or something.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If I'm going to be honest I prefer double digit level cap than triple.

60, 70, 80 all were so good to reach.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm like 20 percent from pathfinder and I just can't, man. This game is so fucking bad right now for anything but raiding.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a good thing too if they don't remove more skills/talents, because nowadays, whenever you're lvling between 65-120, you barely get new stuff compared to lower lvls, it kills half the fun of lvling. You get mastery at 78, maybe a new skill before lvl 80, and talents at 75-90-100. That's about it... With only 60-70-80 levels, they can make lvling exciting again.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm down for a squish. I'm interested in seeing if that would make it possible to level on any "old" continent. That would be awesome.

Like 1-10 in a starting zone and then wherever you wanted. I'd love to go through all of Cata from 10-cap because as it stands I only do Hyjal and then it's like almost immediately Warlords after.

I don't super enjoy Cata zones but it would be fun to go back and just do something different without capping out so to speak.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very down for a squish, especially if they also expand scaling. If I can level up from 1 in Pandaria I will be very happy.

Hopefully this means leveling will also be faster.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm very down for a squish, especially if they also expand scaling. If I can level up from 1 in Pandaria I will be very happy.

Hopefully this means leveling will also be faster.

A level squish wouldn't necessarily make leveling faster. You could just make it take the same amount of time and experience proportional to 60 levels from 120.

The difference is that it will allow them to bring back more meaningful leveling systems and prevent them from having new expansions take you to level 130/140/150 etc

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
A level squish wouldn't necessarily make leveling faster. You could just make it take the same amount of time and experience proportional to 60 levels from 120.

The difference is that it will allow them to bring back more meaningful leveling systems and prevent them from having new expansions take you to level 130/140/150 etc

Leveling faster isn't necessarily needed; it's still faster to get from 1-100 than it was 1-60 in vanilla anyway (source: 15 year old memories with no related data)
It's the 2nd bit that matters - having reaching a new level actually feel meaningful and exciting.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the camp that level squish doesn't matter to me and I don't think it suddenly makes leveling more enjoyable or even more approachable. The fact is that if I have to level 5 hours long to get one new upgrade, then it doesn't matter if it's showing I gained 5 levels in that period or just 1 level.

I am curious how this will impact scaling and heirlooms. If 1 level = 2, for example, is my heirloom going to be weaker. And also important is the first level in new content is typically harder because your heirloom gear is scaled to the previous tier. That level lasting longer could be annoying, although not particularly noticeable until WOD in my experience.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm still in the camp that level squish doesn't matter to me and I don't think it suddenly makes leveling more enjoyable or even more approachable. The fact is that if I have to level 5 hours long to get one new upgrade, then it doesn't matter if it's showing I gained 5 levels in that period or just 1 level.

I am curious how this will impact scaling and heirlooms. If 1 level = 2, for example, is my heirloom going to be weaker. And also important is the first level in new content is typically harder because your heirloom gear is scaled to the previous tier. That level lasting longer could be annoying, although not particularly noticeable until WOD in my experience.
This is absolutely going to happen with a resquish of stats for the new curve, so Heirlooms should just scale with whatever the new gear curve.

It's not going to effectively change much for leveling, just the perception that there's no rewards from leveling up.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I just want the numbers to shrink. What exactly does 130 strength mean when every piece of equipment has that amount?

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely going to happen with a resquish of stats for the new curve, so Heirlooms should just scale with whatever the new gear curve.

It's not going to effectively change much for leveling, just the perception that there's no rewards from leveling up.

Perhaps there is some benefit to perception, even though you know you're not getting more rewards. On the other hand, you'll also perceive slower progression, even though you know you're not taking longer to progress.

Hopefully it does work out.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of stale content between a new character and the latest expansion is the problem, not the character levels. If you have a special progression system for each expansion then you completely remove the levels problem. Some sort of introductory quest could be installed that checks your current item levels and gives you a zone-wide buff so you can quest there and acquire gear upgrades.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a fan of the level squish.

I've run the same toon for 15 years now. I want some indication of how far it's come. I know that everything is relative as regards to stats, but I want some concrete indication of my characters progression.

And I don't really see what a level squish will solve. 120 levels doesn't necessarily take more to complete than 60. And to be honest the content not the number of levels is what makes it feel grindy.

If they really want to solve the leveling problem they need to divide some sort of special leveling content that takes enough time but doesn't feel grindy.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would solve the leveling problem is if I could just go level anywhere from before the last 2 expansions or something. It kind of sucks until Pandaria.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
What would solve the leveling problem is if I could just go level anywhere from before the last 2 expansions or something. It kind of sucks until Pandaria.

So what I'm hoping they do is that like you have to level 1-15 in Kalimdor/EK, but at 15 you are free to go to whatever expansion you want except the new expansion. I think this would make WoW an incredible experience.

Last edited:

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So what I'm hoping they do is that like you have to level 1-15 in Kalimdor/EK, but at 15 you are free to go to whatever expansion you want except the new expansion. I think this would make WoW an incredible experience.

Yeah, not sure why they restricted it the way they did. Seems like a no brainer to make it so you can lvl up anywhere you want. Maybe another limitation of their 15 years old engine?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, not sure why they restricted it the way they did. Seems like a no brainer to make it so you can lvl up anywhere you want. Maybe another limitation of their 15 years old engine?
It could be intentional, since there's still some story progression happening as you progress through zones by level restriction.

But it's also not a good story and it's like, 10 years old at this point so I don't really see why they'd bother keeping it around.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be intentional, since there's still some story progression happening as you progress through zones by level restriction.

But it's also not a good story and it's like, 10 years old at this point so I don't really see why they'd bother keeping it around.
Yeah this is probably the reason. They figured out level scaling, I doubt they couldn't apply it across all content if they wanted to. But like, who cares. All the timelines run together and through each other at this point anyway and you have to suspend your disbelief a lot. Maybe it's a pre-flying/post-flying thing. But at least all the post-60 content should just scale from 60 to 110 imo.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
the two timeline issues (Wrath and BC) could easily be solved with a very short "go revisit the past to ensure our success" throwaway quest from Chromie or something just to hand wave it away.

Squishing the levels is fine. I've been playing for 15 years and I don't give a shit what number is beside my character as long as it is the current cap at the time of the current expansion. Otherwise, we're going to end up with the leveling equivilent of the damage system they were playing with pre-Warlords with MEGA DAMAGE except it'll be mega/prestige levels.

I'd also accept a revamp of the leveling experience where abilities and talents are concerned but that's not going to happen. I expect the squish to be somewhere between 60-80 so they can just do the least and adjust where you learn mastery and your talent tree to be something like "earn a point at every 10 levels."

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
tbh, i would be okay with mega damage but only if there's a badass guitar riff every time it pops up on screen

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
A level squish is a psychological trick. If you don't like how long it takes to go from 1-120, new 1-60 isn't fixing that.

If you wonder why blizzard changes things to change things, the positive reactions to this should be instructive.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
A level squish is a psychological trick. If you don't like how long it takes to go from 1-120, new 1-60 isn't fixing that.

If you wonder why blizzard changes things to change things, the positive reactions to this should be instructive.
They've admitted this, though? They've already reduced the amount of time it takes to get to max level, but they're continued to express concerns with the perception that has on new players. They're not looking to address how long it takes to endgame, just the perception that it's a slog because of how little progression leveling provides now.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
They've admitted this, though? They've already reduced the amount of time it takes to get to max level, but they're continued to express concerns with the perception that has on new players. They're not looking to address how long it takes to endgame, just the perception that it's a slog because of how little progression leveling provides now.

Plus the tiniest amount of adjustment they could implement with abilities and talents would help the illusion that leveling is empty. Because it is. At least with this the levels, in theory, could feel more rewarding than just the "You reached level 24" toast.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Today's new 8.2 PTR build was labeled as a release candidate.

June 25th (or possibly 7/2) as 8.2's release date is looking pretty likely baring any massive issues.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I still find it crazy that you need to grind the new 8.2 reps too, I think it's overkill.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
A level squish is whatever to me. I just want them to change the scaling so I can level in damn near any zone until I hit 120. I recently leveled an alt through BC and went from 60-80 only doing 3 zones with no dungeons (lots of mining though).

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
In my ideal world they would simply produce a long, "catch up on what's happened" questline that runs you through a variety of zones from all the old expansions. Something that told you a quick history of world of Warcraft, and got you to the correct level to start on the most recent expansion.

But that would be a lot of content to create, and they already have their hands full.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
8.1 has been going on for too long, and it didn't even add that much. All that replayable/grindable stuff they're doing in 8.2 should've been done in 8.0 zones.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is this OT interested in a deep analysis of the professions in 8.2? I can write a lengthy guide if you are interested in making some gold in the new patch.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
8.2 can't come soon enough. Fixes my refresh rate issue with DirectX 12. Damn monitor flickers like its possessed while under 8.1. Had to switch to DX11 to make it stop.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Is this OT interested in a deep analysis of the professions in 8.2? I can write a lengthy guide if you are interested in making some gold in the new patch.
I'm at least curious on the prospects for Jewelcrafting, given that it seems to still be fairly worthless in this post-socket dystopia.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.