• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think they'll ever fix current WoW, 8.2 just undoes some of their mistakes and reverts things to how they were in Legion. It would take massive changes to fix the game and I very much doubt they have it in them. I've been playing on and off since day one and I hate what the game has become.

I am very much looking forward to Classic though, hopefully it'll be more than a nostalgia bomb that fizzles in a month. It's hard to believe only a few years ago I exclusively played Blizzard games, now I don't play any of them.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
All IMO:

The only big problem that BfA has had that other expansions haven't is Class design, which given Blizzard's reactionary nature (sometimes overly so) will go under big changes in 9.0.

Granted, the class I play (Warlock) is in one of the best places it's ever been, so I haven't experienced a lot of issues on that front.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly, they need to figure out an elder leveling system—Elder Scrolls Online has the Champion System, Guild Wars 2 has Mastery—because with a level squish incoming it's clear they have a progression problem.

And then, once they have their elder leveling, they need to just...stick with it. And uh, stop removing major key systems. If Azerite is your thing, keep it your thing. Garrisons, Class Halls, Artifacts, all gone. And some for no real reason.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly, they need to figure out an elder leveling system—Elder Scrolls Online has the Champion System, Guild Wars 2 has Mastery—because with a level squish incoming it's clear they have a progression problem.

And then, once they have their elder leveling, they need to just...stick with it. And uh, stop removing major key systems. If Azerite is your thing, keep it your thing. Garrisons, Class Halls, Artifacts, all gone. And some for no real reason.
Did you tell them that when you were there? Blizzard's obsession with taking out chunks of the game is annoying as fuck.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Did you tell them that when you were there? Blizzard's obsession with taking out chunks of the game is annoying as fuck.

I've brought it up once before, but not to any real avail. And given 15-20 minutes with a dev, I tend to focus on the meaningful questions of the moment. Honestly though, if I get a chance I'd like to do a candid post-mortem on this early part of WoW. Just a matter of Blizzard making it happen. Maybe Blizzcon 2019.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
As someone who was extremely hard on them during 8.0/8.1 the game isn't in a great spot right now but it is better than it was. 8.2 will iron out some of the issues and looks to be some pretty decent content.

They're fixing what they can and hopefully 9.0 corrects the class issues because that's the biggest problem at this point since they're sweeping the whole genocide thing under the rug. 8.2 is honestly how BFA should have launched rather than the beta we've been playing so far.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What exatly is 8.2 doing to "fix" things up? I know about the new zones/raid/mounts/etc., but that's basic stuff for major patches.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What exatly is 8.2 doing to "fix" things up? I know about the new zones/raid/mounts/etc., but that's basic stuff for major patches.
The heart essences should provide a more meaningful character growth at endgame than Azerite gear currently does and restore one of the things that hit hardest after Legion, active abilities and more things to work toward on the heart itself (with the various ranks requiring participation in more endgame content). The zones coming are significantly better for endgame, with Mechagon essentially being Timeless Isle 2 and Nazjatar being more in line with Suramar than any of the zones in BFA currently.

It's more that 8.2 seems to be a return to form than it does an overhaul of BFA since we're unfortunately stuck with the heart until 9.0, but at least they're trying to make it live up to the lofty expectations that the artifact weapons left behind.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The heart essences should provide a more meaningful character growth at endgame than Azerite gear currently does and restore one of the things that hit hardest after Legion, active abilities and more things to work toward on the heart itself (with the various ranks requiring participation in more endgame content). The zones coming are significantly better for endgame, with Mechagon essentially being Timeless Isle 2 and Nazjatar being more in line with Suramar than any of the zones in BFA currently.

It's more that 8.2 seems to be a return to form than it does an overhaul of BFA since we're unfortunately stuck with the heart until 9.0, but at least they're trying to make it live up to the lofty expectations that the artifact weapons left behind.

Pretty much what I was gonna say, yeah. Plus having two more zones with things to do in them will help. Yes, there's 6 zones currently but each faction really only gets to do anything in just 3 of them. The other island is mostly empty, window dressing.

Couple this with a story that should have been the focus since 8.0's launch rather than yet another tired, contrived faction war and a raid that is visually interesting rather than "blood and bugs and stuff" and 8.2 really feels more like something that should have been a part of 8.0 at the beginning rather than us just beta testing what we've had since September.

I'm one of BfA's biggest critics in this topic and I'm satisfied, so far, with what we're getting. Now if the gameplay of 8.2 actually holds up then I'll be happy and maybe even looking forward to whatever 8.3 has in store.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Lost the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza because I /waved to a warrior on the other faction.

It interrupted my cast. It really was that close because I could've hearthed back and turned it in. Oof.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I just completed my druid class mount questline and I know this is old news but it super sucks that this "mount" overwrites your flight form rather than being a separate spell. I'm using it for leveling my Zando druid to 120 and then immediately turning it off at 111.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wowhead is publishing professions guides for 8.2, definitely recommend them if you are interested in the new changes and the new Abyssal Focus object for crafting raid gear.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Wowhead is publishing professions guides for 8.2, definitely recommend them if you are interested in the new changes and the new Abyssal Focus object for crafting raid gear.

So Expulsom is still a useful thing in 8.2. Wasn't sure if it was going to stay only with the older profs. They have done that before with BOP crafting mats.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really love that Moira shirt.

I wish I knew about Uniqlo sooner. So much fashionable clothing at pretty respectable prices.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Man, I really love that Moira shirt.

I wish I knew about Uniqlo sooner. So much fashionable clothing at pretty respectable prices.

I bought a super cute Bowser shirt from the recently but the only store I've ever seen of theirs IRL was in the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills. I'd rather try stuff on before ordering because their sizing can be hit or miss sometimes but the medium shirts fit p much how I expected so I am okay with ordering another one.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What are your thoughts on this?

D9SG2KrXoAAyktm

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some people are very unhappy about it but It's not something I can muster up much concern about.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
They clarified this only happens when you invite someone to your group rather than in LFD. As for why they are doing it, I'm guessing the 120 boosts are going on the store soon and it's an easy way to make them slightly more appealing.
They're just addressing a specific situation with this where two characters XP locked to 110 would make the third character gain substantially more XP than if they were running it normally. I wouldn't get too tinfoil hatty about 120 boosts yet since those don't tend to pop up until we're at the end of the expansion cycle.

Oct 25, 2017
They clarified this only happens when you invite someone to your group rather than in LFD. As for why they are doing it, I'm guessing the 120 boosts are going on the store soon and it's an easy way to make them slightly more appealing.

It did not take long for the "greed" minded theory to come out. For the record, they nerfed this months ago but reverted it because it impacted other player types. So this has nothing to do with 120 boosts coming on the store soon, and likely won't have 120 boosts til the next expansion comes out afaik is still ways out.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
They're just addressing a specific situation with this where two characters XP locked to 110 would make the third character gain substantially more XP than if they were running it normally. I wouldn't get too tinfoil hatty about 120 boosts yet since those don't tend to pop up until we're at the end of the expansion cycle.

Ah I see.

It did not take long for the "greed" minded theory to come out. For the record, they nerfed this months ago but reverted it because it impacted other player types. So this has nothing to do with 120 boosts coming on the store soon, and likely won't have 120 boosts til the next expansion comes out afaik is still ways out.

I'm sure you can forgive my cynicism when it comes to Activision Blizzard and scenarios like this.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So.... we've finally got Heroic Blockade down (That wasn't too bad, but we were stuck on Mekkatorque for ages). So I guess we have remaining time for this patch (1/2 weeks?) then the time to the actual raid (2+ weeks?) to polish off Jaina and Uunat and keep our Curve run intact

We cut things fine in this guild!

One thing that was getting in our way for a while was the damage my warrior co-tank was taking - we had a lot of wipes that basically boiled down to tank death (usually in the form of 'that meant we lost the debuff to drop on the adds'). We tried swapping back to his Death Knight, and that seemed much more manageable.

One of the issues we're fully aware of is reacting too slowly to Sea Swells - that's something we know he (and indeed much of the rest of the raid - one of the things about a raid crew that screws older is that reaction times are occasionally an issue!) needs to work on. However, that wouldn't be a difference specific to the warrior, it wouldn't account for why the DK felt comfortable.

I don't know all that much about warrior tanking, so I thought I'd throw it to the knowledge pool here and see if there's anything egregious going on. One thing I did pick up on is very unreliable casting of the talented (hence rage-generating) version of Demo Shout, but I'm curious if there's anything else in there that looks particularly poor.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dTHLFbczxCpgv7G3#fight=last is the log; the DK subbed in after attempt 6. With a bit of looking through the preceding calendar you can see other attempts with the warrior tanking as well.

Oct 25, 2017
So.... we've finally got Heroic Blockade down (That wasn't too bad, but we were stuck on Mekkatorque for ages). So I guess we have remaining time for this patch (1/2 weeks?) then the time to the actual raid (2+ weeks?) to polish off Jaina and Uunat and keep our Curve run intact

I think AOTC cuts off when the patch drops, when the gear level increases.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think AOTC cuts off when the patch drops, when the gear level increases.

No, there's a quote that explicitly pegs it as when the raid opens:

The current Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge achievements will remain available until the opening of the main raid in the Rise of Azshara content update.

...and I'm pretty sure the raid isn't opening straight away.

That said, that's an oldish quote (the question it's responding to was referring to the opening of Crucible), so it'd be reassuring to see something a bit more recent!

Edit: Ah, this is more recent:

The launch of Rise of Azshara will mark the end of Battle for Azeroth Season 2. On launch day (date to-be-announced soon), both PvP and Mythic Keystone competition will close, and a two-week off-season for those activities will begin.

Additionally, Battle of Dazar'alor and Crucible of the Storm raid achievements such as Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge will be obtainable throughout the off-season. You can continue to earn both of them right up until Azshara's Eternal Palace opens.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Fake or not, make your own opinion but I saw this "leak" in reddit and couldn't help but read it.
I found it surprisingly credible.
Obviously it contains very massive spoilers about lots of topics : plot, next expansions, allied races and all.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Fake or not, make your own opinion but I saw this "leak" in reddit and couldn't help but read it.
Obviously it contains very massive spoilers about lots of topics : plot, next expansions, allied races and all.
None of it really seems like stuff that we couldn't have inferred (particularly the next expansion plots, I've been harping on how Dragon Isles, Shadowlands and Emerald Dream are going to be a focus for a while now), but it's kinda nice to see someone else acknowledge it.

Boargen sounds absurd though.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the class skins are real.

I've always played a Warlock, but I roleplay him as a Necromancer.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Fun read. I love stuff like this.

I'd actually be okay with a lot of it but, again, grain of salt and all that.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Mechagon is such a weird inclusion to the Azshara-themed patch. Still, I'm kind of excited? I guess as excited as I can be with this expac.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Mechagon is such a weird inclusion to the Azshara-themed patch. Still, I'm kind of excited? I guess as excited as I can be with this expac.

I agree but I think it's there as a set up for the potential allied race and if the tinker class ever shows up. More of a hint rather than anything really "related." I remember how Timeless Isle seemed odd to me and then the whole thing tied in pretty efficiently with WoD so I'm guessing it is like that.

Plus, BfA desperately needs more zones imo. So I'm glad they did two this patch.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at that one person assuming WoW is in its current state because of diversity. Fun read except for the obvious racism/homophobia glaring through a couple questions. Even if it is legit, they could be dead on 100%, but with how much they overall and/or completely scrap things, it could look a lot different in a years time.

Awesome. I'm ready.

Launch trailer.

WHEEEW!

Bring on the flying!

And I guess some of the other stuff sounds okay too.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Holy shit at that one person assuming WoW is in its current state because of diversity. Fun read except for the obvious racism/homophobia glaring through a couple questions. Even if it is legit, they could be dead on 100%, but with how much they overall and/or completely scrap things, it could look a lot different in a years time.

WHEEEW!

Bring on the flying!

And I guess some of the other stuff sounds okay too.

I shouldn't be surprised but yeah the rampant homophobia in those posts were disgusting. I run a p much LGBTQ raiding guild so if they hate diversity then oh boy they'd hate us, lol.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope that faction stuff they mention bares out. Horde vs Alliance is my most hated part of Warcraft.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Man, I hope that faction stuff they mention bares out. Horde vs Alliance is my most hated part of Warcraft.
Every time it seems like they're getting it, somebody decides that the war in warcraft always has to be Alliance v. Horde, despite it falling flat on its face every time.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Every time it seems like they're getting it, somebody decides that the war in warcraft always has to be Alliance v. Horde, despite it falling flat on its face every time.

It's not even that, it's that "Alliance vs Horde" seems to only mean "The warchief is a fucking asshole". I'd be open to more AvH stuff in the future if it wasn't this one-note, been there done that garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.