• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7 or 2R?

• Resident Evil VII

Votes: 310 29.9%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 728 70.1%

• Total voters

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I get nauseous from "immersive" first person cameras. And I find horror games in particular less effective when I'm playing as a floating camera instead of an actual character.
Completely understandable and sorry you had to miss out on a good game. It always sucks when sacrifices are made for different experiences. I, for one, am all for making gaming accessible for as many people as possible and understand why you would be soured by the decision to make a game in a franchise you like unplayable.

*Edit: Since you passed on 7, and with it being a sort of spin off from the established lore, would you object to 8 being first person/VR enabled if they continued to make other games similar to REmake 2? With possible side stories including known characters and remakes of 3, CV, 4, etc?

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
the first person camera was a neat experiment, but I think RE2 proves the series simply works better when we actually see the protagonist

Maybe try the first-person perspective again for a possible Revelations entry

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
When you play Alien: Isolation, you ARE Amanda Ripley. When you play Alien: Resurrection, you ARE Ellen Ripley. It's not at the expense of Ripley. If Alien: Isolation 2 didn't star Amanda, people would be upset. Because they like that character and want to play as her.
I feel like you are kind of agreeing with me here. Ripley is synonymous with the Alien franchise the same way Leon/Chris/Jill/Claire/etc etc are to Resident Evil. RE7 is at the expense of those characters because they're completely absent from the game, the same way an Alien Isolation 2 would be without a Ripley. RE7 could have had you play as Sherry Birkin, for example, and been basically the exact same game but stronger because it would tie into the history of the franchise in a better way (I'm imagining that scene with Jack you posted above but with Sherry instead of Ethan and she's just like "omg yes the same thing happened to my father!" which could be a great character moment and fuel the plot for the rest of the game in a meaningful way... But I digress!) As you detailed, there probably is a way forward for the franchise in first person if they got the character stuff right (though not necessarily an enviable task for whoever attempts it), even if it's not my preference. But I don't think RE7 was it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you are kind of agreeing with me here. Ripley is synonymous with the Alien franchise the same way Leon/Chris/Jill/Claire/etc etc are to Resident Evil. RE7 is at the expense of those characters because they're completely absent from the game, the same way an Alien Isolation 2 would be without a Ripley. RE7 could have had you play as Sherry Birkin, for example, and been basically the exact same game but stronger because it would tie into the history of the franchise in a better way (I'm imagining that scene with Jack you posted above but with Sherry instead of Ethan and she's just like "omg yes the same thing happened to my father!" which could be a great character moment and fuel the plot for the rest of the game in a meaningful way... But I digress!) As you detailed, there probably is a way forward for the franchise in first person if they got the character stuff right (though not necessarily an enviable task for whoever attempts it), even if it's not my preference. But I don't think RE7 was it.
Ethan is an odd duck of a character. The theories that he could be a spy, for example, stem from how vaguely defined his personality is for much of the game. How little he expresses or asserts himself. People hoped he was hiding something behind the white bread and vanilla.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the first person camera was a neat experiment, but I think RE2 proves the series simply works better when we actually see the protagonist

How? The camera has little to no bearing on the map or scenario design, which on top of the production values were easily the best part of RE2.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
yall are lame

RE8 should follow RE7, I even want to play as Ethan again.
RE3make can be the continuation of RE2make's style

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Third person got my vote.

If RE8 is inevitably going to have a combat portion, anyway (see: second half of 7's main campaign, Not a Hero, End of Zoe), then just throw it into third person and let me better appreciate the action and animations thereof. The action-y parts of 7 just didn't compliment first person well in my opinion.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
This is a no-brainer to me. I feel like RE7 was an experience tailor-made for VR users, which is pretty cool in its own right, but RE2make felt to me like the proper realization of the return to roots that they hinted at with RE7.

It took everything that was awesome about RE7, the realistic looking models, the writing and the engine, and put a more game-y feel to it; with gameplay that had even more backtracking, more enemy variety, and more puzzle solving to it. And more additional content!

If less was more, think of how much more more would be. That's what Capcom probably thought remaking RE2.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
There is really no reason to take a franchise fans love and change the gameplay style/perspective too much. Just leave what the fans love and maybe do some spinoff franchise or a completely new one for the FPS stuff. I finished RE7 and it was good (IMO Capcom seemed to be testing the VR waters with it more than pushing the FPS route) but it's not what I wanted out of a RE game.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I hated RE7 and couldn't bring myself to finish it, first person is trash. REmake 2 is alright, I'll take that style over 7 any day.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even into the series but I voted TPP because third person > first.

#TeamThirdPerson

It is about time you rectify that mistake.

For example: Mr. X is exciting, but ultimately shallow because he has to be limited to running the same speed as you. Imagine if, instead, he ran faster, and every time he caught up you had to time a sidestep correctly to escape. NOW he's intense. As it is, after the initial shock and novelty, he's pretty tame because he's so easy to keep away from.

Not sure if you're aware, but if I remember correctly, Nemesis in RE3 was faster than Jill. And that game is phenomenal.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
You moved soooooooo sloooooooow in RE7. Even using the 'run' button felt like moving 2 MPH, it was awful. There were things I liked about the game but was ultimately left pretty cold. RE2 remake is everything I want from the series going forward, absolutely love it.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Looking at the poll makes me think not enough people have experienced RE7 with VR. Still the most terrifying and enjoyable VR experience I've had.

RE8 - first person with VR support again
RE3 Remake - Same as RE2 Remake

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I really liked RE7. If RE8 is like RE7 I'd be happy but I also home they remake some of their older games the same way they did RE2.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I loved RE2 Remake but i think RE7 was a bigger and better game overall, so i think and i would like to have a RE8 similar to 7, we still have RE3 Remake for that third person and more confined game

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
RE7 and PT demo scared me more in FP view. I didn't feel any attachment to Ethan because I didn't see the characters and liked seeing Claire, watching cutscenes and hearing protagonist's voice, also make a huge difference for character development. Or they can do both view options with all the experience they have had over decades. Now, that would impress me.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
One could generously describe the characters and plot of RE2 as "kind of bad".

One could graciously describe the characters, plot, and writing in particular of RE7 as worse.

erpkBA.jpg

I was surprised by how well done RE2make's script and direction was, especially after 7.

And I find horror games in particular less effective when I'm playing as a floating camera instead of an actual character.

I agree with this. I like VR a lot, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to play for long stretches without feeling uncomfortable (apart from the actual device itself squeezing against my head) , but a monster getting all up close in my face and screaming at me is the horror game equivalent of a little dog standing its ground and yapping fiercely- I'm not impressed. I'm much more on edge when I can palpably see the distance between my character and said monster become increasingly shorter from a third person perspective, and I find seeing my character brutally murdered a lot more unsettling than the camera I represent spinning around randomly. Proximity is important in horror. Contact is important. These things are lessened in first person. I feel first person actually works best when enemies aren't around- when you're taking in the environment around you, smelling the roses, savouring atmosphere and detail, relishing the tension of that next corner and what might be around it.

But that said, I still want Capcom to persist with first person for RE8. 7 was a great first attempt and there's a lot more they can do with it, especially if they listen to the criticism of fans.

Last edited:

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
RE6.

It's a shame that they made such an amazing and well-designed set of combat systems and player dynamism, only to drop them entirely for future entries in the series. A lot like Lost Planet 2, in that sense.
They have so many series in their RE ip that it seems really easy how to sove this issue.

Mainline: FPS (+ VR please!!)
Remakes (3 and CV at least): TPS Remake2 style
Revelations: action TPS with coop, explosions, spinning piledrivers and such

This way everyone's happy

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How about....both???

Give us an option to play it in first person or third person.

I thought RE7 was great and it was more of an "intense" horror over RE2 remake, which is great but the horror isn't quite as immersed since it isn't in first person.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Third person over the shoulder. But optimally, it'd feature both viewpoints that can toggled between like GTA5.

Oct 28, 2017
How about....both???

Give us an option to play it in first person or third person.

I thought RE7 was great and it was more of an "intense" horror over RE2 remake, which is great but the horror isn't quite as immersed since it isn't in first person.
No. Options suck. Commit to one design and design your game fully around it.

Oct 28, 2017
They really need to improve VR in RE8. I had huge problems with it in RE7. Every time I saw my arms just floating in the air I was taken completely out of the experience. Animate the whole body. Keep the immersion throughout. And don't cut animations! I understand safety settings, but RE7 went too far and it made for an iffy experience for me.

Oct 28, 2017
It's possible to do both? Metal Gear solid proves it and Metroid.

Yea options are so terrible, do you think RE2 remake would have been a terrible game if it was first person?
I think RE2 Remake as it is now, would have been worse than RE7 in first person because it's not designed with it purely in mind. If you commit fully to one style you can get the most out of it rather than trying to please everyone.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think RE2 Remake as it is now, would have been worse than RE7 in first person because it's not designed with it purely in mind. If you commit fully to one style you can get the most out of it rather than trying to please everyone.

Explain how anything in RE2 remake would be "worse" if it was in first person instead of third?

Oct 30, 2017

Both games are about finding items to insert in place X and running from invulnerable enemies for certain parts. There's no difference in game design at all. Never does either one of them feel like "this could only be done from this point of view".

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Why not both?

RE7 VR was so awesome that RE8 needs to be 1st person view again, but they could/should offer both options and we'd have the best of both worlds.

Isn't there already a REmake2 1st person mod flying around out there, does it work?

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Explain how anything in RE2 remake would be "worse" if it was in first person instead of third?
I am just jumping in but in my opinion it is worse in 1st peron because of the lack of complex animations that are not seen in the segments of danger in this survival horror game that would benefit the main characterization of the full experience.