solis74

Jun 11, 2018
giphy.gif

I need new Starfield info so badly

same lol

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Game Pass and xCloud are going to continue to be marketed heavily as Microsoft pushes towards reaching those 3 billion gamers out there.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Good news for VR fans wanting more games I guess? Do normal games work well on VR without being written specially for it?

For those who want VR having a Meta/ Microsoft partnership would be good, might get an official xbox quest in the future 😊
It's just a virtual 2D screen projected to you in VR. Like looking at a floating browser.

Matti

Banned
Sep 21, 2022
Been little out of the loop lately - is Keystone a little streaming box for xCloud or what?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I still miss Twisted Pixel. The Splosion Man games were awesome takes on the Donkey Kong Country formula, especially the first one and as a studio, they had a very unique style. I even liked LocoCycle though it was flawed in many ways.
I was tight when Microsoft let Twisted Pixel fall through, mascot games being very important to me. The Splosion series was solid, and I thought The Maw showed so much promise as a 3D mascot game fit into the XBLA constraints.

Woulda been cool if ReCore became a series with Armature, but even that launch was rough for me compared to what I once expected out of a Comcept collab. I remember being excited about the reveal cinematic teaser, and then let down to discover it was budget compared to Halo/Gears.

Thankfully it's not the early/mid Xbox One era anymore. A Fable will absolutely release this gen.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yea, this is probably best for everyone. Armature was scraping by with work for hire and codev deals for many years after ReCore. Glad that they have some stability now, as long as Facebook stays somewhat committed to VR.

You can remove Rush: A DisneyPixar Adventure from the list, as it's a 1st party game (Xbox Game Studio is the publisher)
Oh what o.o? Really? lol interesting.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Xbox Cloud Gaming is going to be a huge player with this Meta partnership. It's only a matter of time until Microsoft strikes a deal with Apple or Google for their other services or devices like Chrome or the Mac lineup.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Every third party will be happy if the biggest whale dissappears. Not to mention now EA, T2 etc. won't need to compete with ABK directly and can strike deals with Microsoft instead.

And they at least have a comparable if they were ever approached about being bought out. With GTA and NBA 2K alone they are definitely worth something

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Man, the proprietary SSD storage is really frustrating. Amazon Prime Event is on and the Seagate 1TB card is down 9% and is $199. That's pathetic. Meantime the SSD card with a heatsink is either...half that price at the same storage amount (1TB) or close to the same price ~$20 more for 2TB.

This is ridiculous. XBOX has been so fair in terms of pricing its other products. When are other cards coming? I'm just flummoxed.

It was on sale for $185 like two months after launch and multiple times since then, that's still bad but $199 is a joke.

The 512 card at $70 from Target was almost reasonable though.

Hopefully Meta acquiring Armature Studios doesn't prevent a potential ReCore 2 from happening.

It probably wasn't happening anyway, but fwiw I don't see any reason ReCore needs to be specifically tied to Armature. The first game hardly lit the world on fire. Let someone else take a crack if you really want to try to follow up and grow the franchise.

Jul 22, 2022
Funny how he was a big critic of subscription services but now positions himself as an ally of Xbox.

Definitely makes me wonder if there isn't something going on behind the scenes with Take Two and Xbox.
Money. There is no point to try to alienate yourself from Microsoft. ABK deal changed the gaming landscape. Every company on the west will try to be in good relationship with Microsoft.

Not to mention, everybody is seeinng how much money Microsoft is spending on subscription service so no reason to try to downplay it when Microsoft is aggressive.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Give Recore IP to Coalition or Ninja Theory or something.

And do what with it??

Good interview and also from a third party perspective EA and T2 are chomping at the bit. With ABK out of the picture, it frees up tens of millions of advertising money and makes their properties even more desirable.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Meta acquiring Armature Studios doesn't prevent a potential ReCore 2 from happening.

The reception and performance of ReCore is what prevents ReCore 2 from happening. MS would be better off funding a new IP that is meant to appeal to the people who wanted the first ReCore, but without the negative baggage that comes along with the name because of the first game.

segmentnext.com

New ReCore Game "Would Be Great To See," Says Armature Studio

Texas-based Armature Studio "really enjoyed" co-creating ReCore by using influences from both the Mega Man and Metroid franchises. The good news is that

Of course Armature would have been happy to do a ReCore 2. They were a work for hire and collaborative studio that had to be on the lookout for their next paid project.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I was tight when Microsoft let Twisted Pixel fall through, mascot games being very important to me. The Splosion series was solid, and I thought The Maw showed so much promise as a 3D mascot game fit into the XBLA constraints.

Woulda been cool if ReCore became a series with Armature, but even that launch was rough for me compared to what I once expected out of a Comcept collab. I remember being excited about the reveal cinematic teaser, and then let down to discover it was budget compared to Halo/Gears.

Thankfully it's not the early/mid Xbox One era anymore. A Fable will absolutely release this gen.

Yeah, I think both studios would have been great with Xbox. ReCore didn't fully land with me, but there was so much potential that I would've loved to see a sequel and Twisted Pixel just had some great unique games and with the current Microsoft, they could have grown in the way we see with games like Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3 for Double Fine and Inxile.

Not that they're missing more studios, I'm consistantly blown away with how big their first party is or is on the way to be with ABK and the quality is there as well, whether it's Grounded, Deathloop, Psychonauts 2 or something else. Still keep hoping for more when it's studios like Armature and Twisted Pixels that has the talent or potential and just need to find a good home.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Funny how he was a big critic of subscription services but now positions himself as an ally of Xbox.

Definitely makes me wonder if there isn't something going on behind the scenes with Take Two and Xbox.
Don't think he was against the idea of subscription services, he just didn't think day one GP launches made sense for Take-Two.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Take-Two’s CEO says having its games on subscription services on day one ‘doesn’t make sense’ | VGC

Strauss Zelnick reiterates his belief that older games are better suited to subscription services…
He even makes it clear that his opinion could change over time depending on where the industry goes. Pretty reasonable stance IMO

Oct 27, 2017

I don't take that as an ally. He's just doing PR, he would never say anything else in an interview. Nothing is going on behind the scenes. It still makes no sense to launch take two's biggest games (gta and 2k) on any service day one unless console makers are willing to shell out like $100M to $500M for it.

Random but anyone play the FH 10 year content in 5 today?

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Don't think he was against the idea of subscription services, he just didn't think day one GP launches made sense for Take-Two.

He even makes it clear that his opinion could change over time depending on where the industry goes. Pretty reasonable stance IMO
I feel like you're not really reading that in context.

At a time when there was a bit of an industry referendum on subscription gaming, Zelnick essentially came out and said "I agree with Sony. Big, high quality games like the ones we make that people love cannot be supported by the economics of that business model." He specifically cited Sony as being in alignment with his thinking, and it was a position that he didn't have to take. He just as easily have said "we're open to exploring new business models and if we were approached with a deal that made sense for us we'd certainly consider it."

We rarely give these executives the credit they deserve for choosing what they choose to say and don't say carefully. The Tim Sweeny's and Randy Pitchford's of the world, the ones who speak first and think second, they're the exceptions.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

While I don't doubt that there's something going on behind the scenes with Take Two and Xbox, I wouldn't really look to deeply into what he's saying here. Just because day one access in a third party service isn't sustainable for them doesn't mean that they're anti-Xbox or should try to object to ABK

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox Cloud Gaming is going to be a huge player with this Meta partnership. It's only a matter of time until Microsoft strikes a deal with Apple or Google for their other services or devices like Chrome or the Mac lineup.

Do they even need to make a deal? Nothing is stopping MS from making a Mac App or a chrome extension I don't see Apple or Google stopping that. In fact I could see Apple begging MS to put Game Pass/ xCloud on Apple TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.