• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
July will be about games most. No hardware or price. I feel they want to extend that as long as possible as they want to see what Sony does also.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect pricing/release details until August. That's about as late as I can expect them holding things back, but surely they'll need time to square things away with retailers, pre-orders, game launch dates, etc.

It is pretty crazy to think about though - by this time last gen we could already pre-order the consoles, games, etc. with firm dates and prices. This time around... nothing!

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Oh dang, a wild Shinobi appears! I guess that means we're gonna be waiting until August for possible pricing and pre-orders on both consoles if rumors are to be believed.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any idea when in July we should be hearing about new games?

I don't expect pricing/release details until August. That's about as late as I can expect them holding things back, but surely they'll need time to square things away with retailers, pre-orders, game launch dates, etc.

It is pretty crazy to think about though - by this time last gen we could already pre-order the consoles, games, etc. with firm dates and prices. This time around... nothing!

Im starting to think this unannounced June event was delayed because they caught word that Sony wasn't going to announce price at their June event.

Oct 19, 2018
Theb why use 2 SKU strategy? You already have second SKU for those who want cheaper console and other that is more expensive.

Phil also said console sales aren't the most important thing for them. They focus on software and service.

Exactly. I also remember when someone bringed up console sales or game sales, people always said this exactly same thing. Xbox is beyond that and they focus on gamepass numbers and software, not how many games or consoles they sell.

Now it suddenly has changed for some reason...
I think your issue is treating those ideas as mutually exclusive; focusing on services and subscriptions doesn't preclude them from being aggressive with the pricing of their new consoles. Selling services requires devices, and consoles account for a sizable piece of that pie. The more agile they are with pricing and SKUs, the larger the piece they can get - even if it only increases their footprint by ~5-10%. Phil stating console sales aren't their determining metric but nonetheless working hard to improve them anyways isn't contradictory. To act as if you don't understand why console and game sales aren't truly reflective of whether Xbox is successful or not is disingenuous.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope they don't leave price/pre-order date too late. I don't want to have to be scraping around trying to get one for launch.

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
I just don't see how this could be true, given it's a first person game with third person cutscenes. Panning out of Chief's visor, like in the Discover Hope trailer, will work here and there, but can you imagine it doing that every time the game takes control from you?

I dunno, I feel like that'll get old really quick.

I agree with you, it might be a bit jarring.
But I guess we'll have to wait and see if it works once we experience it ourselves.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Yeah, long takes and seamless transitions into gameplay I'm all for - one of the best things about Gears 5 is those transitions from realtime cutscene into gameplay, but then it's easier to do that kind of stuff with a game that is already third person. You don't need to constantly fly into your player-character's head. That'll just feel a bit goofy to me.
We'll see, I thought it was done pretty well in the trailer. Still, it's an interesting choice, as it means we'll only witness events in the immediate vicinity of Master Chief.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any idea when in July we should be hearing about new games?

Im starting to think this unannounced June event was delayed because they caught word that Sony wasn't going to announce price at their June event.

There was never a June event. It was tweeted that there would be info but not in the forn of an Inside Xbox. I think we are seeing it now in the form of the Jason Ronald getting out there about Smart Delivery, etc.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I think your issue is treating those ideas as mutually exclusive; focusing on services and subscriptions doesn't preclude them from being aggressive with the pricing of their new consoles. Selling services requires devices, and consoles account for a sizable piece of that pie. The more agile they are with pricing and SKUs, the larger the piece they can get - even if it only increases their footprint by ~5-10%. Phil stating console sales aren't their determining metric but nonetheless working hard to improve them anyways isn't contradictory. To act as if you don't understand why console and game sales aren't truly reflective of whether Xbox is successful or not is disingenuous.

But you still have two SKUs. Why make two? So you can offer those consoles for different price points. One for those who want next gen experience, but dont wanna pay so much and another one for those who can and want premium product with premium price.

Lockhart is going to be cheaper than PS5, Series X doesn't need to. And frankly i dont understand why people even bother to speculate price and feel need be concerned about those prices. Let Phil and Microsoft be the ones? You are customer and you are going to buy that console anyway. I would understand that concern If it was "I hope it isn't too expensive" type stuff.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
As it relates to the Xbox next gen launch and consumers comparing the available games, the news today directly from Sony that the Horizon sequel is coming in TBD 2021 (could easily slip into the following year IMO based on previous game delays and such) is a big deal for Xbox. I think that most assumed it wasn't going to be there at launch without a target date for the reveal, but there was part of me that thought they may surprise people and have it ready for holiday. This really opens up the floor big time for Halo Infinite to shine as the hands down premiere launch title, and I think that the July event could have some people pretty surprised at how incredible and "next gen" it does look running on Xbox Series X hardware.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As it relates to the Xbox next gen launch and consumers comparing the available games, the news today directly from Sony that the Horizon sequel is coming in TBD 2021 (could easily slip into the following year IMO based on previous game delays and such) is a big deal for Xbox. I think that most assumed it wasn't going to be there at launch without a target date for the reveal, but there was part of me that thought they may surprise people and have it ready for holiday. This really opens up the floor big time for Halo Infinite to shine as the hands down premiere launch title, and I think that the July event could have some people pretty surprised at how incredible and "next gen" it does look running on Xbox Series X hardware.

There was never any chance that Horizon 2 was coming at launch. Spider-Man Miles Morales is clearly Sony's big launch title that will be up against Halo.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
There was never any chance that Horizon 2 was coming at launch. Spider-Man Miles Morales is clearly Sony's big launch title that will be up against Halo.

Logically you are correct, but until they provided confirmation it was not a sure thing. So Spider-Man may be a cool game that will excite a lot of people to play, but Horizon was the one with the massive scope to truly try punching with Halo Infinite at launch.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Logically you are correct, but until they provided confirmation it was not a sure thing. So Spider-Man may be a cool game that will excite a lot of people to play, but Horizon was the one with the massive scope to truly try punching with Halo Infinite at launch.

I think Spider-Man will punch just fine with Halo at launch. The first Spider-Man was Sony's biggest exclusive ever. I realize it's not a full Spider-Man 2 sequel, but it will still be massive for Sony.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

I dont understand your logic. Spider-man is sonys fastest selling exclusive and while HZD sold extremely well, it didn't come close to Spider-Man.

So why would Horizon be bigger than Spider-Man? Horizon was never coming to launch...

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I hope they don't leave price/pre-order date too late. I don't want to have to be scraping around trying to get one for launch.
Order through Microsoft themselves when they go live - my One X arrived a day early.

I've seen some places are taking 'expressions of interest' on pre-orders, so basically they're taking pre-orders already with no price or date lol

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Order through Microsoft themselves when they go live - my One X arrived a day early.

I've seen some places are taking 'expressions of interest' on pre-orders, so basically they're taking pre-orders already with no price or date lol

I have my PS5 pre order like this. It is pretty common and it has 999€ placeholder price. You ofc dont need to pay it and you will pay the right Price when they announce it.

Oct 19, 2018
But you still have two SKUs. Why make two? So you can offer those consoles for different price points. One for those who want next gen experience, but dont wanna pay so much and another one for those who can and want premium product with premium price.

Lockhart is going to be cheaper than PS5, Series X doesn't need to. And frankly i dont understand why people even bother to speculate price and feel need be concerned about those prices. Let Phil and Microsoft be the ones? You are customer and you are going to buy that console anyway. I would understand that concern If it was "I hope it isn't too expensive" type stuff.
I think we're mostly on the same page though having a "lower end" SKU shouldn't prevent the "premium" SKU from being competitively priced as well. Series X doesn't need to undercut the PS5, but its something that should be considered if its within reason - that's just common logic. Ultimately you're right about debating prices right now, it's something we can't reasonably project without the real information. As Phil's mentioned even small pricing decisions have long lasting effects for each console, they won't cut off their nose to spite their face. And again you're right, whether the Series X is $399, $449, or $499+ - I'm going to buy it. That said, price will be important to the undecided buyers - its just not really something worth arguing about on these forums until the true values of each SKU can be compared.

Nov 23, 2018
How many people in this thread are actually planning to buy Series S over Series X (assuming both are real, at $300 and $500, respectively)?

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I think we're mostly on the same page though having a "lower end" SKU shouldn't prevent the "premium" SKU from being competitively priced as well. Series X doesn't need to undercut the PS5, but its something that should be considered if its within reason - that's just common logic. Ultimately you're right about debating prices right now, it's something we can't reasonably project without the real information. As Phil's mentioned even small pricing decisions have long lasting effects for each console, they won't cut off their nose to spite their face. And again you're right, whether the Series X is $399, $449, or $499+ - I'm going to buy it. That said, price will be important to the undecided buyers - its just not really something worth arguing about on these forums until the true values of each SKU can be compared.

100% agree with you.

How many people in this thread are actually planning to buy Series S over Series X (assuming both are real, at $300 and $500, respectively)?

Series S here. Gamepass machine. Can play those exclusives and maybe some 3rd party games on gamepass.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I was thinking of MS. Only ever done it for controllers etc. Of all the people, they must be good!

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand your logic. Spider-man is sonys fastest selling exclusive and while HZD sold extremely well, it didn't come close to Spider-Man.

So why would Horizon be bigger than Spider-Man? Horizon was never coming to launch...

A couple of you guys are just unreal that you even spend time in this Xbox OT thread. I can't imagine that I would find any "joy" in frequenting the Sony OT thread just to leap at anything being said that I thought sounded too pro Sony or something, just unbelievable honestly :)

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
A couple of you guys are just unreal that you even spend time in this Xbox OT thread. I can't imagine that I would find any "joy" in frequenting the Sony OT thread just to leap at anything being said that I thought sounded too pro Sony or something, just unbelievable honestly :)

Lmao. It was you who started speaking about Horizon and Spider-Man and like i said earlier, it is you who constantly feel need to bash Sony so you can bring Xbox up. You can be excited, happy and hyped about Xbox without bringing Sony to discussion and bash them.

And even today i have posted many positive posts about Xbox etc. It is time to look in mirror dude.

Edit: I have also defended Microsoft numerous times in Sony OT when people do similar stuff there than you are doing all the time here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Initially I had no plans to get either as I was having financially issues due to work messing things up with my benefits package. I also had no plans to get Series S eitherway.

Thanks to CERB though I may be able to get a Series X at or near launch. If they announce a Day One Halo edition though I will be pre-ordering for sure.

Dec 31, 2017
I alway

Got my 2TB Xbox One S on time but my Xbox One X got lost in the mail (Scorpio Edition) and by the time they determined it was really lost/stolen they couldn't sent it to me anymore as they were out of Acorpio Edition units, had to get the normal one.

But yeah normally Microsoft store is the way to go, shipping is fast (and free).

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If they are really going for 400€ for the Series X, Im going to buy one. Otherwise Ill wait and upgrade my pc instead. I have been gaming on pc the past 10 years or so, which is why its my preferred choice anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.