• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The reason is simple.
People in this area don't think they need to buy a console unless it's a console exclusive.
In this country, the PC supply rate is very high,
The penetration rate of the console is only about 10%.

So doesn't it seem like a great move to become more appealing to the high penetration rate of PC gamers at the expense of losing some potential console gamers...who's upside seems pretty limited?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
That doesn't really help the Xbox stigma in their area. While this isn't wrong in general, if the majority of people aren't interested there, it could legitimately affect the support Microsoft gives to the region, which affects people like him who are console players.

It does if the push of 'Xbox' is, as seems likely, 'games games games whatever you are playing on'. The focus on the console itself is going to fade (relatively)/ especially/at least for markets that already don't care.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this Inside Xbox, agree with many others that the timing and pacing was tighter and more on point. Maybe I am just getting too old to care about childish console plastic box wars or something, but as a gamer I just love seeing games that I love to play be available for myself and others to play wherever is best for them. The rest is just garbage IMO.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
giphy.gif

lol

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
It does if the push of 'Xbox' is, as seems likely, 'games games games whatever you are playing on'. The focus on the console itself is going to fade (relatively)/ especially/at least for markets that already don't care.
They don't care because the console isn't supported or marketed really well in those regions. So those that do actually buy the console get a subpar experience. The push should be to make both options appealing, instead of just one and letting the other just kind of, sort of exist.

They have just as much of a voice as the rest of us.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
The branch office of Microsoft in Korea does not have an Xbox division.
This is because Australia's MS manages Xbox in Asia.

Aug 22, 2018
Great buy it on PC then.
What if he likes to play on Xbox though? I also live in a region which is basically the same as what he described. Xbox is a distant fourth here. The problem is that MS devaluing Xbox ecosystem by releasing their games on other platforms. Which leads to less physical games imported for example (something that is already happening) and some other weird decisions in my area because there is almost zero interest for them to support low userbase. By releasing games on Steam they basically show that PC gamers can no even give a chance to Windows Store because MS is easy to fall for their whining about a certain game not being on Steam.
Don't get me wrong. I support the idea of bringing games to PC. But IMO they should improve Windows Store instead of choosing the easy path to release them on Steam. At least Windows Store is the same ecosystem, so losing some consoles sales in exchange of some new players on PC is a nice idea because it doesn't shrink potenital userbase. Game developers use the same SDK and it makes sense for them to support Xbox platform in this case which bring more software. Releasing on Steam, on the other hand, kinda shows that you can just put game on Steam and that's it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
They don't care because the console isn't supported or marketed really well in those regions. So those that do actually buy the console get a subpar experience. The push should be to make both options appealing, instead of just one and letting the other just kind of, sort of exist.

They have just as much of a voice as the rest of us.

True. One would hope the push for more stuff in Japan/services everywhere would help alleviate this.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I also live in a region which is basically the same as what he described. Xbox is a distant fourth here.
so in your region as it is now Xbox as a console and brand are pretty much nothing. By releasing games on PC and the most popular store on Steam the games and brand is brought to the spotlight and lets more people play those games while still giving people that want a console experience the option to do so.
this litteraly benefits everyone, pc players getting new games, xbox players continue to get the same if not more support since more money is going into Xbox and finally MS makes a pretty penny.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Have to agree. While I like the pc release, I don't like the steam release. I hope it's the same version like in the windows store, same features over Xbox live and no steam stuff.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
so in your region as it is now Xbox as a console and brand are pretty much nothing. By releasing games on PC and the most popular store on Steam the games and brand is brought to the spotlight and lets more people play those games while still giving people that want a console experience the option to do so.
this litteraly benefits everyone, pc players getting new games, xbox players continue to get the same if not more support since more money is going into Xbox and finally MS makes a pretty penny.

When everyone plays we all win :)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
This is a great move for the IP. I'm happy that team Xbox and 343i decided to put it on as many platforms as possible. As for me (a primarily console player) i'm currently installing MCC on xbox. The platform's identity is going to change through the upcoming years and hopefully for the better. There are some truly exciting times ahead in both the hardware department and the software department.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What do we reckon, might the Halo news potentially open the door to Forza/Gears on Steam (with Xbox Live accounts for MP)?

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
What do we reckon, might the Halo news potentially open the door to Forza/Gears on Steam (with Xbox Live accounts for MP)?
Depends how well it does I guess. Its not the first game to make the move over. Not even the first Halo title (Halo Wars DE for example is on steam right now)

Hopefully we see maybe once the new gen starts more games release on Win10, Xbox Scarlett and Steam all on day one while supporting all sorts of cross features.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
And whenever I talk about localization, some people say it's natural that the market is small and I feel really bad.
Because I don't think gamers have borders.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
This is a great move for the IP. I'm happy that team Xbox and 343i decided to put it on as many platforms as possible. As for me (a primarily console player) i'm currently installing MCC on xbox. The platform's identity is going to change through the upcoming years and hopefully for the better. There are some truly exciting times ahead in both the hardware department and the software department.

agree

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
And whenever I talk about localization, some people say it's natural that the market is small and I feel really bad.
Because I don't think gamers have borders.
I guess it's your fault for living in a market without proper support. /s

Gamers have choices... In the markets where Xbox is popular. In the less popular areas of support, they honestly don't. So when people say "Just play it on PC", they're missing the point/actual problem Xbox has in these regions.

Aug 22, 2018
It's not really like this like you imagine it to be. 360 was huge here. And then xbox brand went into a downfall. It's not like in Japan when people basically don't know about Xbox existence. Every gamer here knows what it is. Just not interested into buying xbox consoles anymore, because of how huge PC is here. It will bring the brand into spotlight of course, just for yet another joke.
More people buying the game=more userbase in that country, how is this a bad thing when most games have crossplay nowadays?
I can't quite understand how selling a game on Steam increases Xbox userbase? It's the other way around actually. As for the second part, I'm mostly interested in single player games, so playerbase doesn't really count for me.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
How do you know?

It's a really strange decision relaesing MCC on steam. Why not wait until all games are ready and then release it on a new games client, that has most of the important steam features and no uwp? I mean imagine if Epic have had released Fortnite on steam years ago. Looking now it would have been a dumb decision.

Because Forza Horizon 4 is not on Steam. Because Gears 5 is not on steam. This is a great PR move from them. You make the PC crowd happy with releasing the MCC on Steam and generate goodwill. 2 years down the line you release Infinite on MS Store and cash in on it.

Aug 22, 2018
I guess it's your fault for living in a market without proper support. /s

Gamers have choices... In the markets where Xbox is popular. In the less popular areas of support, they honestly don't. So when people say "Just play it on PC", they're missing the point/actual problem Xbox has in these regions.
Saying something like "Just play it on PC" to someone who mainly plays on Xbox console in a region where the console performs poorly is outright stupid. Because if the said person chose Xbox as a main platform than it was a really well thought choice. It means, that this person prefers Xbox over any other platform available to go for unpopular option.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
And yet you think going to PC is bad, you sure you don't have borders in your mind?
He has no issues with the games coming to PC. As for himself not wanting to game on Pc, I don't see why that's your concern as that's his choice. Unfortunately his choice is poorly supported by Microsoft in his area, that's the problem.
Saying something like "Just play it on PC" to someone who mainly plays on Xbox console in a region where the console performs poorly is outright stupid. Because if the said person chose Xbox as a main platform than it was a really well thought choice. It means, that this person prefers Xbox over any other platform available to go for unpopular option.
Pretty much. I understand that marketing is expensive, but they're going to need to do it a lot more to keep those faithful to the console, as well as those interested in it, not just act like it barely exists.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
mcc is gunna do so good on pc and steam that Microsoft gunna be wondering why it didn't do it earlier. I suspect it will have a good following on twitch aswell.

I also can't wait to play reach's campaign. Hoping that there is ranked for reach too. I'll be playing it for ages.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
If he had no issues he won't go to a place with full of console or PC warriors since beginning(some kind of Korea forum), because these place is just for upsetting other people or being upset.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
It's not really like this like you imagine it to be. 360 was huge here. And then xbox brand went into a downfall. It's not like in Japan when people basically don't know about Xbox existence. Every gamer here knows what it is. Just not interested into buying xbox consoles anymore, because of how huge PC is here. It will bring the brand into spotlight of course, just for yet another joke.

Isn't that what this move is all about, to reach the audience the console is not able to? Consider Xbox platform is now evolved into an ecosystem that is the medium between content providers and customers. and the xbox console is just bust one way to access this platform.

Sounds to me that in your country Gamers overwhelmingly prefer to gaming on PC, So isn't bringing xbox platform to PC a very logic way to expand the audience?

I can't quite understand how selling a game on Steam increases Xbox userbase? It's the other way around actually. As for the second part, I'm mostly interested in single player games, so playerbase doesn't really count for me.
MCC might be the first game on Steam to require xbox live log-in, I guess we will see how they plan to tackle this, but I know they definitely not put this much effort to just sell more MCC copies.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Depends how well it does I guess. Its not the first game to make the move over. Not even the first Halo title (Halo Wars DE for example is on steam right now)

Hopefully we see maybe once the new gen starts more games release on Win10, Xbox Scarlett and Steam all on day one while supporting all sorts of cross features.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
I can't quite understand how selling a game on Steam increases Xbox userbase? It's the other way around actually.
well technically they need to make an xbox account as we see with mcc driving up xbox live MAU's but more and more games are allowing crossplay and MS is a big pusher for that which means more players for xbox consoler users to play with.

id be suprised if halo mcc didnt have crossplay outside of competitive arena playlists

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What if he likes to play on Xbox though? I also live in a region which is basically the same as what he described. Xbox is a distant fourth here. The problem is that MS devaluing Xbox ecosystem by releasing their games on other platforms. Which leads to less physical games imported for example (something that is already happening) and some other weird decisions in my area because there is almost zero interest for them to support low userbase. By releasing games on Steam they basically show that PC gamers can no even give a chance to Windows Store because MS is easy to fall for their whining about a certain game not being on Steam.
Don't get me wrong. I support the idea of bringing games to PC. But IMO they should improve Windows Store instead of choosing the easy path to release them on Steam. At least Windows Store is the same ecosystem, so losing some consoles sales in exchange of some new players on PC is a nice idea because it doesn't shrink potenital userbase. Game developers use the same SDK and it makes sense for them to support Xbox platform in this case which bring more software. Releasing on Steam, on the other hand, kinda shows that you can just put game on Steam and that's it.
I suspect they are releasing this on Steam to build significant buzz around the Halo franchise again.

And I also suspect that Halo Infinite will be exclusive to the Microsoft store and Game Pass.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
well when they announced games last e3, they said "xbox one and windows 10"....so their games could come to any digital store on Windows 10 and still meet that requirement.

Aug 22, 2018
well technically they need to make an xbox account as we see with mcc driving up xbox live MAU's but more and more games are allowing crossplay and MS is a big pusher for that which means more players for xbox consoler users to play with.

id be suprised if halo mcc didnt have crossplay outside of competitive arena playlists
Those added MAUs will be dead weight though. This metric is a way to show how many players are willing to spend money on your software and services. Microsoft will get nothing from such users after the game's purchase. Which makes it pretty pointless to count them for anything but to show some nice numbers to investors.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care about MCC but to me all this pc initiative screams "xbox is not successfull so we're bringing everything to PC". Even on steam because they can't make their own store work.

Aug 22, 2018
Isn't that what this move is all about, to reach the audience the console is not able to? Consider Xbox platform is now evolved into an ecosystem that is the medium between content providers and customers. and the xbox console is just bust one way to access this platform.

Sounds to me that in your country Gamers overwhelmingly prefer to gaming on PC, So isn't bringing xbox platform to PC a very logic way to expand the audience?
1) When someone makes a purchase on Steam it does nothing to expand Xbox platform. It's a win for Valve, but not for MS/Xbox except for short term gain.
2) It introduces PC gamers to some Xbox games while making lots of other gamers less willing to commit to Xbox platform. A huge win for PC crowd, but a loss on Xbox side.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Microsoft will get nothing from such users after the game's purchase.
?

they are getting sales from people that would have never have had even the option to buy the game. All there modern games for the most part sell in game microtransactions or dlc giving them a constant flow of money. These players are also brought into the xbox ecosystem and if they enjoy lets say Halo MCC they are more inclined to be a regular customer with them when Halo Infinite comes out as well as when services like gamepass officially release on pc.

they get money and more exposure and as an added bonus they get a massive storefront to help increase MAU's to keep the suits nice and happy (and willing to spend more on Xbox leading to more games and improvments to the services)

Status
Not open for further replies.