• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Sorry to hear about your friends. Hope they bounce back quickly.

Do you think google, amazon, apple etc entering the gaming industry in a bigger way will lead to this consolidation or was it always destined to happen? Also do you think Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft will all be in a position to join in with it?

I assume of course Microsoft has the money but maybe not the will to compete with the others (for publishers. I know they want dev studios). But I'm not sure if the other two can compete if the big companies start hoovering up devs and publishers.

One thing to remember is that all these companies are still more than just games companies. They're all going to be committing resources to games now, but by no means all of their resources. Same way Xbox doesn't get all of Microsofts money, they're a small part of the whole. I think Sony and Nintendo will still be able to compete, same as they've been able to compete with Xbox. No reason to think Amazon or Apple will be committing significantly more of their resources to games than Microsoft already is.

I think, and this is just my opinion, the biggest move we would see any of the new players make is to acquire and fully integrate a small to midsized publisher. More likely you'd see them each buying a couple and starting a couple of studios, which is something Nintendo and Sony are just as capable of doing.

No ones going to go scorched earth here, these companies all have lots of other things to do with that money already.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Xbox.

It's hard to hear about friends being laid off because of one corporate consolidation, then minutes later see people speaking longingly about another one :-(

The game industry is going to be going through massive changes in the next five years, and a lot of people will be left behind as a result. I don't really think the people here want anyone to be hurt, so I do think it's important to always keep in mind the human costs of these industry moves.

Sorry if anyone thought I was being overly harsh.

No problem.

No one was saying it wasn't a serious issue or one not worth discussing. But at the same time no one was actively trying to steer the discussion away from it either.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think he meant not including new 2019 acquisitions which would automatically add hundreds of people to the overall headcount.
just going by all of the job postings it's clear that the number isn't including acquistions.
I took it as 15% included the acquisitions from last year. But didn't include any new ones going forward. You think he meant the studios from before e3 2018?
That's not what he said though.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
just going by all of the job postings it's clear that the number isn't including acquistions.

That's not what he said though.
Technically it is though. Matt said Xbox internal studios will grow around 15%. Playground games and the rest are Xbox internal studios. He said it didn't include any acquisitions. Playground and the rest are internal studios not acquisitions.

Jan 4, 2018
Unrealistic expectations IMO. They've never even gotten to 2 hours, and last year was packed.

And I personally doubt we'll get much about new consoles, if anything at all.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
The conference will probably focus on Xbox One, because it has one last Holiday to get through. And it still has a lot going for it (Ori, Gears, Battletoads etc). Next-gen Xbox will probably get another quick mention, but that's all that I expect.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really think they show next gen? I don't. I think we get vague info like we did for Scorpio but they focus on games, studios, and xCloud.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think Microsoft will go longer than two hours, but there's other things they can do. They could do an Inside Xbox episode at E3 and talk more about xCloud or some of the other technical and service announcements. They could also do a separate ID@Xbox showcase video like they're doing this week to get the ID@Xbox stuff off the main show.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Other than small teasers, I don't see how showing significant next-gen stuff makes sense, given they still have some important games for this generation coming. Seems kinda contra-productive to take away the spotlight from your own games.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
yeah maybe ending the show with a tease on how the next gen consoles will look. like silhouettes of the boxes lol. thinking about it gets me hyped. then a hint of the color scarlet. :P

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Other than small teasers, I don't see how showing significant next-gen stuff makes sense, given they still have some important games for this generation coming. Seems kinda contra-productive to take away the spotlight from your own games.
Well I think some expect a follow-up to Phil's comment about how the hardware team is hard at work on the next Xbox.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
The closest thing would probably be Halo Infinite.
Halo Infinite and if the gods prove to be kind ones Fable....they aren't going to be tho D:
In a world in which prior to any new console releases all their games are already coming to PC, that feels kind of odd to me unless you are calling out specific benchmarks for your new hardware...but along with any detailed talk of the new hardware that also feels pretty early to claim some resoultion/framerate target for specific titles.
Yeah, agreed.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Its just Ori 2 and Gears 5, lol, they need to show next gen stuff.
I actually don't know how true that is. I think we'll see Halo, which is almost guaranteed to be a cross-gen and maybe one next-gen game tease, but I think there's very little chance they show more than one non-Halo, next-gen game.

Microsoft needs to be a lot smarter about not showing games early and blowing out the launch window 18 months before the console launches can only lead to disaster.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Maybe Microsoft should reserve some stuff to participate on the PC conference too? Not all Microsoft stuff needs to be on Xbox conference I guess.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Has Microsoft ever held an event to draw a Battleground limited edition controller in other countries?

Last September, it announced 200 limited edition controllers.

sry translator

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I believe it will stay 90 or maybe 120 minutes. They'll marginally touch next-gen just to lay out the general strategy - compatibility, power (raytracing?), multiple SKUs - and show some early developer reactions. They'll show xCloud more deeply, will reveal a couple of new games (maybe a Fable teaser, NT's new game and show the future of Forza Motorsport), go much much deeper on Gears 5, show a new Infinite tech demo (but not the actual gameplay) and announce some third party collaborations. And yeah, a couple new studios and PC strategy should be in.

There might be an Inside Xbox side-show to off-load the main press briefing from the least important stuff, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.