• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
I'm playing Wasteland 3 at the moment and the game is mostly alright-pretty good but some things in it are just infuriating. Random encounters are annoying enough, but a random encounter where half my group is instantly blown the fuck up by exploding pigs as soon as the combat starts is just something else

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Wasteland 3 at the moment and the game is mostly alright-pretty good but some things in it are just infuriating. Random encounters are annoying enough, but a random encounter where half my group is instantly blown the fuck up by exploding pigs as soon as the combat starts is just something else

I played the game and never once did a random encounter. I avoided them all with survival. This makes me glad for that.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Yes, two. Fargo had a tweet about it somewhat recently. One is in the "earliest stages of pre-production", or something to that end. The other presumably being the AAA title we've heard whispers about over the last year.

At least for new projects. They may still be supporting Wasteland 3, idk.

edit - found it

I always assumed thay the first was Wasteland 3, since it had just launched around that time and was still being patched for bugs and what not.

Pretty sure the pre-production one is the AAA.

Dec 29, 2019
Yes, two. Fargo had a tweet about it somewhat recently. One is in the "earliest stages of pre-production", or something to that end. The other presumably being the AAA title we've heard whispers about over the last year.

At least for new projects. They may still be supporting Wasteland 3, idk.

edit - found it

'Second' could just mean they are working on a RPG after Wasteland 3. Nothing indicates they are working on two games. And I highly doubt the resource and manpower can support the development of two games, considering one of them is target at AAA.

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
I believe the first time I heard about this was on XboxEra... then I saw Point and DeoGame commenting in past OTs.
Definitely a vampire game and it's possible it might release tail end of this year. Last I heard is that Ghostwire Tokyo and Starfield aren't looking likely for 2021.
Just my own speculation here, but I think Bethesda will take its time on Starfield following the acquisition. There'll be little pressure to get it out this year and that studio can't afford for the game to not be great. I think Spring 2022 is more likely.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
'Second' could just mean they are working on a RPG after Wasteland 3. Nothing indicates they are working on two games. And I highly doubt the resource and manpower can support the development of two games, considering one of them is target at AAA.

Unlikely, imo. They were already split up on two games when Wasteland 3 was in full production, we have a slew of tweets talking about said game from guys like Chad Moore.

A game being in early preproduction means there's a handful of people on it at most. inXile is at what, 80-90 devs now? The rest of the studio has to be working on something more concrete.

realricochet

Apr 30, 2019
Mexico
Definitely a vampire game and it's possible it might release tail end of this year. Last I heard is that Ghostwire Tokyo and Starfield aren't looking likely for 2021.
Just my own speculation here, but I think Bethesda will take its time on Starfield following the acquisition. There'll be little pressure to get it out this year and that studio can't afford for the game to not be great. I think Spring 2022 is more likely.
Interesting stuff. So Starfield in 2022? Sound more realistic.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Unlikely, imo. They were already split up on two games when Wasteland 3 was in full production, we have a slew of tweets talking about said game from guys like Chad Moore.

A game being in early preproduction means there's a handful of people on it at most. inXile is at what, 80-90 devs now? The rest of the studio has to be working on something more concrete.

Be curious to see some evidence of the two teams and why you don't think the second was this pre production team.

InXile is not a large studio, their new game was greenlit by XGS (which likely means hasn't been in the works that long) and supposedly has a huge scope. It will likely be 2024 before that game comes out.

I would be very suprised to see them have another game in the works at the same time unless it was extremely small.

Chad Moore is in the replies of the tweet you posted with this #SecretProject tag that he uses elsewhere. We also know that his project is a UE5 game.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Be curious to see some evidence of the two teams and why you don't think the second was this pre production team.

That is literally what I said the second team was. I'm not following where the confusion is.

Some, not all, of inXile was working on Wasteland 3. People like Chad Moore have been working on something else (game A). Game A was in the works before the acquisition, per Fargo. My guess is that the majority of inXile is now working on this game A.

Of course, inXile is planning out what they do after game A. This is the game Fargo refers to as being in the "infancy of pre-production", or Game B. Two games.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
That is literally what I said the second team was. I'm not following where the confusion is.

Some, not all, of inXile was working on Wasteland 3. People like Chad Moore have been working on something else (game A). Game A was in the works before the acquisition, per Fargo. My guess is that the majority of inXile is now working on this game A.

Of course, inXile is planning out what they do after game A. This is the game Fargo refers to as being in the "infancy of pre-production", or Game B. Two games.

The confusion is because you're interpreting it to mean AAA project + another game in pre-production, whereas some of us are interpreting it to mean Wasteland 3 + AAA project (which was in pre production).

In which case one of those games is already out, which means there is one game remaining.

Where are you seeing Fargo say that Game A was in development before acquisition and it is not Wasteland.

Dec 29, 2019
While inXile does have two studios, one in Tustin, California, and another in New Orleans (which created first-person VR game The Mage's Tale while the California studio worked on The Bard's Tale 4), all of these details come from California job listings. Two listings for jobs in New Orleans mention similar requirements and the job descriptions for senior lighting artists in both locations are identical. So presumably the details above are all in reference to a single RPG—one that involves first-person action and gunplay.
https://www.pcgamer.com/job-listing...com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social

This article form PC Gamer could clarify something...

Dec 29, 2019

Chad Moore & Jason Anderson (as Creative Director and Game Director) both joined Inxile in Q1/Q2 2019. And sometimes pre-production in game development could take a long time, especially for a new IP.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
The confusion is because you're interpreting it to mean AAA project + another game in pre-production, whereas some of us are interpreting it to mean Wasteland 3 + AAA project (which was in pre production).

The comment was made after Wasteland 3 released. If all they had after that was a game in pre-production, there would be nothing for the bulk of the staff to work on. Pre-production work is done by a small handful of people coming up with broad concepts for a game.

Heres a quote from a Eurogamer interview with Fargo in November 2018, after the acquisition was announced:

Are you working on something now?

Brian Fargo:
Well, we've had a project in development for some time we haven't announced that they're quite keen on, so we'll be looking at that and saying, 'Okay, what does this product look like now we're going to be given extra time and resources?' Evaluating how we could make it better.

My guess is this is the same project Chad has been working on since 2019, as random pointed Out a few posts above.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I know it's not happening but the thought entered my head that the big AAA RPG at InXile was another Planescape game. Thatd be cray.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The comment was made after Wasteland 3 released. If all they had after that was a game in pre-production, there would be nothing for the bulk of the staff to work on. Pre-production work is done by a small handful of people coming up with broad concepts for a game.

Heres a quote from a Eurogamer interview with Fargo in November 2018, after the acquisition was announced:

My guess is this is the same project Chad has been working on since 2019, as random pointed Out a few posts above.

That looka like evidence enough for me. Though it sounds like the big AAA game is the one in pre production still. Curious to see what the scope of this other game is.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I'm pretty confident inXile has another project in development. When they were acquired, Brian Fargo said they had a project that Xbox was "quite keen on." It seems unlikely that it was the follow-up to Wasteland 3 (the rumored Steampunk game) because those talks would have began in mid-2018 and Moore/Anderson wouldn't even be hired for another year. I think it's likely a smaller-scale RPG similar to Bard's Tale.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Definitely a vampire game and it's possible it might release tail end of this year

I'm pretty confident inXile has another project in development. When they were acquired, Brian Fargo said they had a project that Xbox was "quite keen on." It seems unlikely that it was the follow-up to Wasteland 3 (the rumored Steampunk game) because those talks would have began in mid-2018 and Moore/Anderson wouldn't even be hired for another year. I think it's likely a smaller-scale RPG similar to Bard's Tale.

The game "Xbox was keen on", was the UE5, next gen AAA RPG. It seems to be focused on melee gameplay, with emphasis on fast movement and "movie like" action.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

It is kind of hard to imagine them being quite keen on a small scale RPG unless there is something special about it. Time will tell I guess.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
So I've been playing a ton of PlayStation games over the holidays. I was lucky enough to get a ps5 but I also still have a pro. It is absolutely insane how much Xbox users take for granted the way cloud saves work on Xbox compared to Playstation. Moving saves is a manual process and It's an absolute nightmare on PlayStation full of o man am I doing this right? Am I overwriting my save? Is this what I want to do? I needed to get that out somewhere and I think the PlayStation thread would have destroyed me. That being said Xbox first party has work to do because man Last of Us 2, Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima are just awesome and I recommend if nobody has tried them. I am extremely excited for gaming in 2021

Yes, cloud saves are an underappreciated part of the Xbox ecosystem, yet absolutely foundational to their strategy (play across console, cloud, PC, upgrade your console and bring all your old games, etc). It's amazing to go back and forth between my living room Xbox, office Xbox, and xCloud and never even think about it.

I've had one error in three years and that was using Halo Wars 2 with xCloud beta early last year or so. But then Halo Wars 2 would also just delete its own saves locally so 🤷‍♂️

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'm gonna check Xbox Era and may go back to Unlocked, but their hosts have always been a bit off-putting to me. For Colin's thing...no thanks but I appreciate the notice!

We do a community questions piece every episode, so if there's ever subject you want to see discussed, just let us know! Always worth mentioning we have a pretty cool Halo podcast too!

Deleted member 16753

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want gyro at all. But the haptic feedback stuff, yeah.

I'm the opposite.

Gyro aiming in FPS games is a game changer.

It's horrible to go from pixel perfect fast aiming on Overwatch or Splatoon 2 on the switch without any auto aim, back to vaguely waggling sticks in a general direction and relying on auto aim on Overwatch or Halo on the Xbox.

Jun 15, 2020
I'm the opposite.

Gyro aiming in FPS games is a game changer.

It's horrible to go from pixel perfect fast aiming on Overwatch or Splatoon 2 on the switch without any auto aim, back to vaguely waggling sticks in a general direction and relying on auto aim on Overwatch or Halo on the Xbox.

In single-player, sure, do what you want. But in multiplayer, it creates an uneven playing field. That shit ruined Splatoon for me. Absolutely do not want it.

Deleted member 16753

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In single-player, sure, do what you want. But in multiplayer, it creates an uneven playing field. That shit ruined Splatoon for me. Absolutely do not want it.

Splatoon is designed around motion controls, with traditional controls added for those who don't like/can't use motion controls. That game is always going to play far worse with traditional controls.

What do you think about paddles, arcade sticks, wheels, higher resolutions, headphones, and pro controllers in multiplayer games?

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
p4VJHkd.jpg

Jun 15, 2020
Splatoon is designed around motion controls, with traditional controls added for those who don't like/can't use motion controls. That game is always going to play far worse with traditional controls.

What do you think about paddles, arcade sticks, wheels, higher resolutions, headphones, and pro controllers in multiplayer games?
And that's exactly why I don't want gyro, leads more games that a far worse with traditional controls. Gyro is a "solution" in search of a problem, gamers aren't displeased with their controllers.

Deleted member 16753

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that's exactly why I don't want gyro, leads more games that a far worse with traditional controls. Gyro is a "solution" in search of a problem, gamers aren't displeased with their controllers.

We moved to analog for more precision in the 3D environment, despite early 3D games using the dpad or keyboard. This is an evolution of that to increase precision in the FPS genre.

You can't complain that motion controls are worse and then also complain when you are getting spanked online by people using them.

By your own words, gyro is a very effective solution to the lack of precision (and therefore huge amounts of auto aim) that analog sticks bring to the FPS genre.

Jun 15, 2020
We moved to analog for more precision in the 3D environment, despite early 3D games using the dpad or keyboard. This is an evolution of that to increase precision in the FPS genre.

You can't complain that motion controls are worse and then also complain when you are getting spanked online by people using them.

By your own words, gyro is a very effective solution to the lack of precision (and therefore huge amounts of auto aim) that analog sticks bring to the FPS genre.
I don't complain that motion controls were worse, they're just not fun.

Honestly, gyro fans are turning into a very strange sect of angry people recently and I'm sick of them getting incredibly upset because not everybody wants to game that way, so I'm through talking about it. I don't wanna game that, I don't believe most people do, and when you do it in PvP it kills the game and will turn lots of people away. That's my position, get mad about it if you want, I'm done.

Last edited:

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
sponger any idea what's going on at inXile?

First project is Chad Moore's baby (still not sure about the nature of the project, but don't expect it before 2024). Second one in the infancy has some relation to the "events" in 2020.

This year the team at inXile will massively grow.

More important thing is that deeper integration with BGS will bring some great things to the development table (XGS integration already happened and it's happening). This will be extraordinary year for everyone at inXile - a true breakthrough year !

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The best thing about first party games now is that there is no need to rush any of the exclusives because there are so many coming out. I think this will lead to even better games overall.

Also, I reckon Infinite will be the best received Halo since the Bungie days. The game already looked to be amazing in terms of gameplay at E3, so now that they have more time to fix the presentation, I reckon it will impress big time!

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't see any announced Xbox first-party game having a planned launch date later than 2023, with the exceptions being The Elder Scrolls VI and maybe State of Decay 3 (even this one is likely 2023).

I mean, 2024 is almost 4 years of more dev time from now. No (announced!) game in production at XGS right now will need that much more time. They are not aiming for Rockstar dev times.

The internal first-party roadmap (not including XGS Publishing) likely looks closer to something like this (it won't be accurate, I only want to give you an idea) ...

Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2
As Dusk Falls
Grounded
Starfield
Forza Horizon Next

Avowed
Everwild
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
Forza Motorsport
Age of Empires IV
Wolfenstein III
Arkane Austin project
Project Mara
Minecraft something
(Deathloop)
(Ghostwire Tokyo)

Perfect Dark
Fable
State of Decay 3
Gears Next
Compulsion Games project
DOOM Next
Roundhouse Studios project
Double Fine new IP
Obsidian Josh Sawyer project
Halo Infinite ODST or something
Rare Gregg Mayles project or something
Machinegames second project or something

2024 & beyond
The Elder Scrolls VI
inXile RPG
Zenimax Online project
Something Fallout at some point
Obsidian The Outer Worlds team project
And all the studios that released games in the years before will slowly begin to have new projects ready
And so on ...

So basically starting with Halo Infinite in Fall 2021 they'll have a constant flow of first-party content from XGS and Bethesda. In 2022 they'll begin to easily reach their "one big game per quarter" target - and even exceed it.

Last edited:

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
It feels like Fable is a late 2022 release, but with the possibility of being knocked into 2023 due to the pandemic and all the inefficiencies that brings.

2024 just doesn't seem realistic.

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
I don't see any announced Xbox first-party game having a planned launch date later than 2023, with the exceptions being The Elder Scrolls VI and maybe State of Decay 3 (even this one is likely 2023).

I mean, 2024 is almost 4 years of more dev time. No game in production at XGS right now will need that much more time. They are not aiming for Rockstar dev times.
This. I think Hellblade, Everwild and Fable are planned for 2022 and Avowed, State of Decay 3 and Perfect Dark are planned for 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.