• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Being a British gamer using US gaming forums there is a rule of thumb that seems to hold true when it comes to sales. UK = US X2 I know that that's completely based on anecdotal evidence but the general rule between pal/npd is roughly double. My prediction is 1x and 1S combined. From that view point I'd say the 1X opened anywhere between 160K - 300K in the US.

More importantly I believe the UK will show us the most crucial XBOX needs with the 1X. Momentum. Week 2 and 3 without preorder swill be the most telling.

XB1X will be much higher than in NA. For multiple reasons but a big one being that NPD does full month tracking rather than the week of.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Being a British gamer using US gaming forums there is a rule of thumb that seems to hold true when it comes to sales. UK = US X2 I know that that's completely based on anecdotal evidence but the general rule between pal/npd is roughly double. My prediction is 1x and 1S combined. From that view point I'd say the 1X opened anywhere between 160K - 300K in the US.

More importantly I believe the UK will show us the most crucial XBOX needs with the 1X. Momentum. Week 2 and 3 without preorder swill be the most telling.
Oh, your 1 million was for the S and X (because you said "1X")? If that's the case the prediction is much more reasonable.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Nice start.

Anecdotal as all hell, but I was wondering how the X might do because there's been something of a noticeable ad campaign by Sony the last few weeks here in the UK to push the PS4 Pro as a '4K' console. Even got a booth set up in the middle of the local shopping centre. Really felt like they trying to minimise the impact of the X by making it seem like less of a leap forward, even if means putting a * next to their own usage of 4K.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the power gap between the xb1 and the x its a much better deal to me than the pro ever was

I'm still not buying it without the Japanese support, hopefully that changes soon

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good first week in UK and probably in US as well, but Pro comparisons are meaningless right now.

I remember reactions of XOS first/second month sales and we all know how it turned out at the end..

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Which means that Microsoft have a better supply strategy than Sony. Just another form of 'win' from Microsoft.

Sony had probably tons of more demand in continental Europe for Pro than MS has for Xbox One X (considering how PS4 has absolutely crushed Xbox One outside of UK in Europe). It was easier for MS to ship more units to UK even with lower total shipments in Europe.

Oct 25, 2017
They were talking about 'premium console market', which I assume meant the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Comparing PS4 to Xbox One X doesn't make much sense.

I think you misunderstood me. The Pro is 20% of all PS4 sales. Meaning worldwide, it sells roughly about 200k units per month. Given that that figure is higher than the amount of XB1 consoles sold in US in recent months, for the XB1X to outsell the Pro, it would have to put up a far more impressive performance than it is putting out based on these numbers. Far, far more impressive.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I think you misunderstood me. The Pro is 20% of all PS4 sales. Meaning worldwide, it sells roughly about 200k units per month. Given that that figure is higher than the amount of XB1 consoles sold in US in recent months, for the XB1X to outsell the Pro, it would have to put up a far more impressive performance than it is putting out based on these numbers. Far, far more impressive.
I guess that's one way to look at it. It's still early to be claiming X1X won't outsell Pro in certain markets.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said "opened." To be clear I'm talking first week 160K - 300K in NA.

It must be closer to 300K

Just watch PS4 Pro for these 2 markets

50K first week UK = 250K first month US
80K first week UK = 400K minimum

US market is even closer between Xbox and Playstation than the UK market so 500k is even possible.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
They did a good job at creating something desirable, unlike Sony. I don't understand the Pro. Sony can afford to be reactive in their current position. Instead they rushed out something half assed and Microsoft came out looking better.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Nice start.

Anecdotal as all hell, but I was wondering how the X might do because there's been something of a noticeable ad campaign by Sony the last few weeks here in the UK to push the PS4 Pro as a '4K' console. Even got a booth set up in the middle of the local shopping centre. Really felt like they trying to minimise the impact of the X by making it seem like less of a leap forward, even if means putting a * next to their own usage of 4K.

Sony is definitely pushing the Pro really hard the last few weeks here in Canada too but with a heavy layer of marketing spin. If I remember correctly they say something like best place to experience dynamic 4k* gaming with small text reading resolutions up to 4k and UHD bluray not supported or something like that. I think it's kind of funny to hype up dynamic 4k because its basically saying their console drops resolution more than the other.

Hasn't really affected the x launch though. It sold out in my area and seems to be in most locations after a quick google search.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the huge asking price for the thing here, that's a damn good result for the Xbox One X. Way better than I expected.
It is and it isn't. For what you are getting it is actually comparatively cheap. I know it's historically accurate that the most powerful console doen't win the console war, but there was a time when even the ps2 - when it launched- put up a good fight against the pc space and a decent price point. People will pay more if they get more, u like the original Xbox one where they were paying more to get less.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
It must be closer to 300K

Just watch PS4 Pro for these 2 markets

50K first week UK = 250K first month US
80K first week UK = 400K minimum

US market is even closer between Xbox and Playstation than the UK market so 500k is even possible.

You are comparing first week to first month tho. That's not really a good comparation.

First, XB1X had more days than the PS4 PRO ( ok i know this does not matter that much, but is still a revelant point )
Second, more than half of XB1X sales are from the Scorpio model, which was a limited model.

I think is expected that the sales of XB1X will drop more compared to PS4 PRO.

It will still beat the PRO first month in USA but i don't expect more than 350-400K.

500K just looks way too much.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think so, you announce it and release it a year after with better hardware.
better hardware doesn't guarantee you market share. Xbx launched after PS2 with better hardware and it failed miserably . PS3 launched a year after xbox and it almost failed.they will break this pattern of being one year behind i m sure.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think XBOX has November NPD on lock because of Preorders.

December / Christmas NPD will be a real test.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive for a £450 mid-gen console revision at any time, never mind in Brexit times. That's £100 more than the Pro was at launch.

The legs will be important now, although word of mouth is positive and I'd expect a price drop before the Summer (or aggressive bundling).

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MS learned it's less from this gen.
They are not gonna release a weaker console.
again weaker console was not their down fall. they launched a weaker console with DRM issues around it at higher price than their direct competitor. so being under powered was only some part of a bigger reason why they failed. PS2 murdered the competition being the weakest console on the market. wii outsold the HD twin as well being the weakest console in that gen. So not everything is about the power.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really squares with MS' claims of 'biggest ever' launch, given the XB1 sold 150k ish during its UK week of launch in 2013 (also supply constrained, which the 1X doesn't appear to be afaik), but this is MS, so I guess large amounts of spin were to be expected.

80k is decent, but not unexpected for an item that will have a lot of appeal to early adopters and the core fan base.
The next few weeks and early 2018 will be more telling I think.

PS5 2019 confirmed haha ;)
If the PS4 launches in 2019 (which I believe is their plan), it won't be because of the XB1X.

Last edited:

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised some people are surprised. I thought Microsoft did a fairly decent job with the unveil, marketing, and building up hype.

This suggests that there will be a rather big drop off next week. Majority of project scorpio buyers were probably previous xbox owners.

However on the flip side, the console seems to be received rather well, strong word of mouth might kickstart some small momentum for holiday shoppers and new 4k tv owners.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The PS4 is doing great and shows no slow at sales and they didn't even cut the price, in fact they just raised their expectations for sales.

Next Gen won't start before Holidays 2020.... other than that it's just a wishful thinking.
so PS3 didnt launch 6 years after PS2 when PS2 was doing amazing numbers (better than PS4), right?
oh wait , it did ;)