• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Phil announce next week?

• Everything

Votes: 264 30.7%
  • Most of it

Votes: 218 25.4%
  • Something

Votes: 199 23.2%
  • A sliver

Votes: 94 10.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 73 8.5%
  • Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Man, the gaming industry is falling apart piece by piece. This is not boding well for the Xbox brand at all, hopefully they won't wait much to clear some things up. And this is coming from something that's really been into their ecosystem for a couple years now.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just don't see how Hardware remains with this move. Feels like it's basically a ticking time bomb of them exiting and just becoming a major third party.

I'd imagine it becomes the best place for gamepass. Personally I don't understand the strategy. I don't know how many more gamepass subscribers are really out there. They're going in a completely different direction from everyone else.

Personally I don't think it's a good strategy.

Volken

Sep 18, 2022
If they go all in on this strategy moving forward then the Xbox hardware is pretty much done (and it wasn't doing all that great to begin with).

No reason to buy an Xbox when you can get a PS5 and get access to both PS5 and Xbox games.

From a software profit standpoint the strategy of course makes sense but it does kill the hardware.

Deleted member 163170

Jan 18, 2024
Watch MS go after sony for blocking GP with EU competition authorities after they went 3rd party

Sony and Nintendo could retort that they've also suffered similar situations like Xbox and never brought whole publishers to compete. I also think that the EU would ask for some divestment due to how big MS has gotten in the gaming industry recently. Lastly, their recent layoffs would also stain their record.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever's happening to Xbox now will happen to PS in the future. AAA gaming is getting quite unsustainable as it is right now.

but if xbox is less attractive cause their first party games are multiplatform, then playstation will be the de facto console, and then where else would playstation put their own games?

putting MS games on playstation is a huge benefit to them cause the playstation install base is much bigger; the benefit of putting PS games on Xbox is much lesser

assuming Nintendo keeps being the less technically advanced console so ports are less guaranteed to happen

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the gaming industry is falling apart piece by piece. This is not boding well for the Xbox brand at all, hopefully they won't wait much to clear some things up. And this is coming from something that's really been into their ecosystem for a couple years now.
MS making more money from PS5 gamers is the industry falling apart?

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Ya know there was a lot of condescending posting that slide in the thread about Xbox games coming to PS that indicated that games like Starfield wouldn't be coming to other platforms. And those that thought it was were just dumb ol' idiots who couldn't understand Microsoft's plans.

Whoops

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this is true I don't see how Microsoft can continue in the hardware space. This is insane.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Unless those customers become unprofitable, they will still release dedicated hardware.
Ya they will just focus more on a (digital only) budget type system IMO. I don't think they will be trying to push many cutting edge envelopes. Gone are the "most powerful console evarrrr 🦂 " type consoles from them probably.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this doesn't lead to a Tencent console coming in to fill the vacuum left by Xbox. They have the money and could potentially try to throw their weight around with their shares in so many studios.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1754269395927318641

www.theverge.com

Microsoft weighs launching Indiana Jones on the PS5

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle could be heading to PS5.

While Bethesda will launch its Indiana Jones game first as an Xbox console exclusive, it's currently set to have a rather short period of exclusivity we're told. A release for PS5 is being considered for some months later, with Bethesda tentatively targeting a December 2024 launch for the Xbox and PC versions.

Exact timing and platform availability for Indiana Jones and the Great Circle could change, particularly as Microsoft's new multi-platform approach for Xbox games hasn't been finalized. Microsoft has been evaluating bringing certain Xbox exclusives to PS5 and Nintendo Switch in recent months. Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush have both reportedly been under cross-platform consideration, and we understand Microsoft has also looked into bringing other Xbox games to rival consoles.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is always great news that people can enjoy games everywhere but I don't know what this means for Sony, are they going to get more greedy?
I'd imagine they'll spend less money on buying third party timed-exclusivity unless Switch 2 becomes a competitor for those particular games.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Expected Ms would end up releasing some games on ps, but I though it would be in some years, not on 2024

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
Imagine if new Xbox controller is for PS5 and that's why its black and white lmao

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So I have to guess - aside Game Pass -, MS is permanently done with courting 3rd party devs or securing 3rd party exclusives? What's the point otherwise?

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Big if true, a crazy milestone in the industry.

I'm knee deep in the Xbox ecosystem and I think it's great more people will be able to enjoy these games. Hope MS stick with releasing powerful consoles though as gamepass in my preferred way to play games nowadays.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of two minds about it. It's good for consumers for now, you get to play where you want to play...

...but it's hard to imagine Xbox consoles continuong past probably next gen.

Their strategy has been utterly confusing for a very long time, and was only starting to take shape in a way I think most consumers could understand. This feels like an unforced error in that sense. But we'll see.

Hopefully Game Pass just comes to PlayStation.

Sad times for Xbox if the best way to play their agmes on console this year is on PS5 Pro... Whew.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I mostly play on PC so this doesn't affect me but I find this all very entertaining

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Halo has gotta be inevitable at this point right? That has the potential to make much more money on Playstation than even Starfield does. How many Playstation only owners haven't had the opportunity to play Halo since the 360 days?

Starfield definitely feels like the final tipping point. Unless they specifically come out and say that Bethesda is now a third party publishing arm it seems pretty done. Even then they have to deal with the fallout of calling Starfield an exclusive a mere 8 months ago.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
Wonder how their studios are going to be affected by this, will their freedom to develop whatever they want still work? Maybe the change in strategy also means leadership will be more tight on studios?

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool if true. Starfield was the one xbox exclusive I wanted to play last year that wouldn't run on my home (mostly for work) pc.

Wonder if Blade and Avowed will get ported over eventually as well?

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weird. I wonder when this thought process started circulating at Microsoft. With so many devs/pubs under their belt it makes sense to try to offset the expense of running them. Like, was there a point during or after the AKB acquisition they realized they might have to change tactics? Probably never get a full accounting, but it's interesting.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Well on the way to being the biggest third-party publisher in the market, I guess, but this industry's going to go to dark places without competition.
And less platform competition is so bad. I just don't understand why anyone thinks this is good for the industry or for gamers. I can't believe they didn't even try to compete with all of their talent and IP, they just fucking gave up.
This place has always had a very folksy idea of the curative/preventative properties of competition.

The industry has gone to plenty of dark places with plenty of competition in place. In fact many dark places have been visited by this industry expressly BECAUSE of competition. Lots of games sniped as exclusives, oftentimes left to now forgotten platforms that didn't have lasting power. Developers bought to further secure IP/talent only to be grossly mismanaged and subsequently laid off and disbanded. Competition didn't do shit to stave off a banner year of layoffs across the industry this past year. Etc. I don't think there's a scary boogey man that gamers claim competition wards off that has actually been successfully warded.

There's also still plenty of distinct platform competitors if Xbox does bow out. The gaming industry has evolved well beyond the traditional bespoke consoles and PC at this point with consoles, PC, Nintendo going with a "hybrid" approach, mobile platforms, cloud streaming, VR/MR, etc.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This whole 'Xbox First' timed exclusivity thing seems like it might be the way they're going. Though I thought it might be a 12 month minimum window.

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
Unless those customers become unprofitable, they will still release dedicated hardware.

Without predicting the future, the strategy to have game pass day one and other platforms outside of Xbox at a possible later date, effectively allows their sale potential to grow over a lager slice of the market, which in turn will help sustain development cost.

There would be more of a chance the hardware goes if they didn't make their titles cross-platform.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking wild. 2001 Sega vibes.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This shit's baffling. The Series X was the first Xbox I have ever owned and if all this is true, the only one I will ever own. I don't know why Microsoft would not want me to stay on their platform. Unless by some miracle, gamepass is also coming to Playstation.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Kind of crazy that after wishing for the Activision deal, it probably was the reason why gaming division came into spotlight and MS has to pivot.
People were scoffing saying $70B is just loose change for them, but shareholders want every cent used to bring in profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.