• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Phil announce next week?

• Everything

Votes: 264 30.7%
  • Most of it

Votes: 218 25.4%
  • Something

Votes: 199 23.2%
  • A sliver

Votes: 94 10.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 73 8.5%
  • Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was busy playing GranBlue Relinked all day yesterday and somehow missed this entire thread.

Going through the thread marks as a PlayStation owner is like a fever dream.

What the hell is going on at Microsoft????

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Been lurking in here since this hit but hadn't posted. Historic stuff but I still want the official word. I believe it all but wanna see how it's spun. Waiting a week is gonna grind some people down to dust. I'm excited that I may actually get to play Forza.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they go full multiplatform, I'd sell my console(if I had 1) and get a PS5. Personally, I can't see the point of having a xbox console if true.
If you aren't invested in the Xbox eco-system, then yeah, it seems like a no brainer. But if you have a decent sized digital library (like myself), you're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place lol.

Like, if I'd of had the foresight to know this scenario was even remotely a possibility, I would have just gotten a PS5 in 2021 and all my 3rd party purchases would have been for that console instead of the Series X this generation. I coulda told my brother to get a PS5 digital instead of the Series S lol. Oh well, I guess I just backed the wrong horse this time around.

I'm really curious to see their strategy going forward. If they can confirm that they'll still be making some kind of hardware going forward, I would definitely feel a bit better about my digital library continuing forward in some shape or form.

Like if all my games will still be playable on a future Xbox streaming stick or whatever, okay at least my shit won't just be totally lost to the ether.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest question mark for me is Halo and I'll be interested to have that answered, hopefully sooner than later, either via insider or officially.

I think MCC is a given eventually but specifically I want to know about Infinite or if they wait for the next one.

I have to admit, sheer morbid curiosity would make me buy this, just so I could see Halo sitting on the PS5/6 desktop and then see directions like "Press [SQUARE] to reload."

MacReady

Jan 21, 2024
I don't think Xbox hardware is done done. Controls are super popular, I can see them putting out a dedicated GamePass box, and I'm sure they will put out a next generation system with specs on par with PS6, just no more disk drive.
Agreed. They'll continue to make hardware (at least next gen) and keep as much of the their core community as possible. That core community on consoles will shrink no doubt, but I bet there'll be a lively enough community worth supporting for years.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I'll keep my Xbox because I need to be able to play Ninja Gaiden Black in 4K until the day I die. But if it weren't for that?

ninja-ninja-gaiden.gif

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I have to admit, sheer morbid curiosity would make me buy this, just so I could see Halo sitting on the PS5/6 desktop and then see directions like "Press [SQUARE] to reload."

Yea imma need that MCC port just to see the button layout of a PlayStation Halo LMAO
It would be pretty crazy. Even better if it's Infinite so you can see it without paying! Lol. But if Infinite only has a couple years left in it then I wonder

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt Microsoft will throw everyone whose invested in the Xbox ecosystem under a bus with what's being announced next week. That would more than likely cause more harm to their brand as it did in 2013.

Times are changing, Microsoft want their games on other platforms, and that's a good thing.

Xbox hardware isn't done either. They'll still support the system, but it'll probably be more Gamepass focused going forward. As many have said, Xbox titles will come to Xbox either as exclusives or as timed exclusives for up to a year.

As long as they come to Gamepass, I'll be happy. But then, I have friends who'll love the idea of playing some Xbox exclusives on PlayStation as I would too.

I wouldn't be surprised though if next gen they transition to just having a Digital/Game Pass Xbox branded box and all the big games come out on the other platforms day one.

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
Am I crazy for thinking it would be a bad idea to announce new hardware alongside these multiplatform 'business updates'?

Yeah it could serve as a distraction....or it could tie the hardware to the much bigger news of Xbox games going multiplatform and make people think, "Yeah nice new hardware, but for what games?"

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
What does Microsoft do if Sony offers them some dumb amount of money to make a game exclusive.
Sony prolly wont have to, depending on the NS2 specs we might end up in a scenario where all roads lead to a playstation exclusive by default.
Cant believe i lived long enough to see this happen twice in a life time. This is playing out exactly the way it did with Sega in 2001.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy for thinking it would be a bad idea to announce new hardware alongside these multiplatform 'business updates'?

Yeah it could serve as a distraction....or it could tie the hardware to the much bigger news of Xbox games going multiplatform and make people think, "Yeah nice new hardware, but for what games?"
Yeah this is a surprising part

"Hi our games are going multi platform, btw here's a new series s and x"?

Devil will be in the detail of the multiplat strategy potentially

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt Microsoft will throw everyone whose invested in the Xbox ecosystem under a bus with what's being announced next week. That would more than likely cause more harm to their brand as it did in 2013.

Times are changing, Microsoft want their games on other platforms, and that's a good thing.

Xbox hardware isn't done either. They'll still support the system, but it'll probably be more Gamepass focused going forward. As many have said, Xbox titles will come to Xbox either as exclusives or as timed exclusives for up to a year.

As long as they come to Gamepass, I'll be happy. But then, I have friends who'll love the idea of playing some Xbox exclusives on PlayStation as I would too.

Solid post, and to echo your point about times changing...it's gonna be interesting and exciting.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
All doom and gloom aside, I can totally see MS following a strategy where they do timed first party console exclusives with delayed ports to PS/Switch.
Xbox users would be unaffected (besides fanboys who live and die by having permanent exclusives) because they'd still get first party games day one and via Game Pass and PS and Switch owners could be tapped into at a later date.
I can only assume this is how it would be. But to be fair, if you are trying to gain consumers, how is waiting not an option for those on such platform?

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This is me currently just crying my eyes out!!!
IMG-2143.jpg

What have I done and why did I invest so much on a platform that is going to die so soon!
Live and learn I guess…
Microsoft will never see another dime from me!
If I do a real conservative average of 20 euros per game, that's more than 8000 euros I gave Microsoft! And now they want to come in and just give me the finger!
Fool me once, shame on you… fool me twice…
I am beyond pissed right now!
Now time to start rebuilding this on the Sony side…

Last edited:

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
IMG-2143.jpg

What have I done and why did I invest so much on a platform that is going to die so soon!
Live and learn I guess…
Maybe wait to see what they say next week before committing to anything?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
All doom and gloom aside, I can totally see MS following a strategy where they do timed first party console exclusives with delayed ports to PS/Switch.
Xbox users would be unaffected (besides fanboys who live and die by having permanent exclusives) because they'd still get first party games day one and via Game Pass and PS and Switch owners could be tapped into at a later date.

For devices costing hundreds of dollars, just waiting a few months will be the preferred method for most people - and this will absolutely hurt Xbox hardware sales.

And it may not be safe to assume that Microsoft's first party titles will continue to show up day one on Game Pass. I could see a situation where a game comes out for purchase only on PC and Xbox, and then 6-8 months later shows up on Game Pass, PS5, and Switch 2.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I like how it's now a "vision", as if something profound, rather than a major, major course correct.

NeonDelta

Sep 29, 2020
IMG-2143.jpg

Live and learn I guess…
They still work so not all is lost

Volken

Sep 18, 2022
IMG-2143.jpg

Live and learn I guess…

Rebuild? As in re-buy a lot of the same stuff but on PS5?

Why? Your XB and those games aren't going to disappear.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
IMG-2143.jpg

Live and learn I guess…
I feel you. I have about 1,800 games in my Xbox digital library. So that's cool and not disheartening at all.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
IMG-2143.jpg

Live and learn I guess…
If I do a real conservative average of 20 euros per game, that's more than 8000 euros I gave Microsoft! And now they want to come in and just give me the finger!
Fool me once, shame on you… fool me twice…
I am beyond pissed right now!
I have more games than you and i'm not scared. I doubt xbox goes away.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I must be old because I have no real feelings about this.
Other than I'm glad more games are becoming multiplatform.

That's a good thing. Microsoft have said (well, more Phil) that exclusives shouldn't be that, so if more people get to play some big Xbox games then so be it.

They'll still be on Xbox as well, not that I think that's going anywhere yet.

I think Satya said something about games appearing on Xbox and other platforms in his interview.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If true, Xbox will probably be exiting the hardware space entirely after this gen.

They'll just go all in on software and market Gamepass as a subscription service for PC/PS/Nintendo

Honestly, that's probably going to make them an absolute boat load of cash in the long term.

That being said...if you're heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem, I can imagine this would be an absolutely crushing blow.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
It's the future of the industry. Sony and Nintendo will no doubt still take a good while before they accept it yet, but it's inevitable.
Movies/Music/Literature don't require exclusive devices and there will be a time when that is also the case for video games, especially since consoles are only becoming more and more homogenized with their technology.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
They still work so not all is lost

Rebuild? As in re-buy a lot of the same stuff but on PS5?

Why? Your XB and those games aren't going to disappear.

If they don't do more consoles in the future, this library won't have anywhere to go.
It won't be going forward with me on to next Gen and so on.
It will die. It won't see benefits of newer hardware like FPS boost and such.
And when they don't have Xboxes to suport, they won't keep those massive servers up for us to download our games in the future. It will die!
And many of these games are still backlog. Something I bought for collecting and play in the future. And that future might not exist.
So I am feeling like I threw thousands of euros out the window right now!

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is a surprising part

"Hi our games are going multi platform, btw here's a new series s and x"?

Devil will be in the detail of the multiplat strategy potentially

Makes sense if they really do want to keep hardware around. Like when Nintendo announced they were making mobile games and the NX at the same time. The new console at a lower price* is there to quell fears that they're pulling out of hardware entirely.

*lower price may or may not happen.

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
IMG-2143.jpg

Live and learn I guess…

None of those are even exclusive. Maybe it's just me but I didn't by my Xbox for the exclusive, I bought it because it's the most powerful console with really good OS features. I don't see how Microsoft making more games multiplatform is a sign of going third party since I always been using the Xbox for multiplatform games.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's the future of the industry. Sony and Nintendo will no doubt still take a good while before they accept it yet, but it's inevitable.
Movies/Music/Literature don't require exclusive devices and there will be a time when that is also the case for video games, especially since consoles are only becoming more and more homogenized with their technology.
Nintendo are never, ever going down that path nor do they have to.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

I believe Nintendo and Sony are currently good watching Xbox taking that step into the future of the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.