ara

Oct 26, 2017
Worth pointing out, with the way the RNG code works, it rolls a 101 sided dice. Meaning effective probabilities come in multiples of 1/101. KOS-MOS's probability is so low that you can only get her by rolling a perfect 0, no matter what you do you cannot improve her odds.

I have some C++ code I wrote to simulate the gacha and give odds of each individual Blade popping up. It's... messy and runs in the command line so it's really not user friendly, but if somebody wants to it'd be neat to see it adapted to a web app or something. Code's here.

EDIT: Code link is updated, I caught a bug in the booster calculations.

I just wanted to say that that's some goddamn nice code to look at lol. Almost makes me want to install visual studio and mess around with C++ for a bit when I get home.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to say that that's some goddamn nice code to look at lol. Almost makes me want to install visual studio and mess around with C++ for a bit when I get home.
Yeah. I'd imagine for a GUI, you'd be going for highlights for which blades you already have, text field for luck and stats, and a drop-down menu for where you only need to pick one choice.

Maiar_m

Oct 26, 2017
France
Hey knowing that no matter what I do, I'm not increasing / lowering my chances to get KOS-MOS in a significant way is actually somewhat encouraging. Infuriating in many ways, but still.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm most certainly in column 4 as I got Zakuro, Uka and Ibuki in a an order and timing that really looks like they were the pity blades.
But wow... one of my 2 or 3 first rare blades in chapter 2, using only a handful of crystals was Azami and it's 0.6. Nice.

So sad KOS-MOS as a very low and similar rate for all.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
This shit absolutely ruined the game for me.

I'd literally rather have paid lootboxes than this in-game currency lootbox shit because I could've just spent $20 instead of 160 hours of my life grinding to no avail.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can call myself lucky for getting KOS-MOS at 130 hours, it was my last rare blade too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I'd literally rather have paid lootboxes than this in-game currency lootbox shit because I could've just spent $20 instead of 160 hours of my life grinding to no avail.

Stop that

You would not have spent $20, you'd likely have spent $100+ over the course of the game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
On top of that, ome blades are even more useful than others. Ursula has saved my arse so many times in my 90-hours of playthrough. I imagine she'll be even more useful at post-game activities. There's also various field skills that are exclusive to certain blades.

Those exclusive field skills are tied to their exclusive quest anyways, so that's really a non issue.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Nope. Not one bit. They should have just made it to where rare core crystals got you a rare blade every time, but just make the rare core crystals more rare.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
"Maybe we should have the best blades attached to optional bosses, the way Wulfric is early in the game?"
"Nah, have optional bosses maybe drop at item that gives a 1% chance of obtaining them."

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kos-Mos was my second rare blade that I got relatively soon. Knowing her rate...damn...I wish I was that lucky with more important things in my life.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm not getting Kos-mos then, lol. I think I had 4 or 5 rare blades missing by the end of the game.

Edit: Looks like my save was probably column 2.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was pretty lucky since i got my last 4 remaining rare blades in less than an hour by opening legendary cores.

Of course, Kos-Mos was the last one.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Don't tell me my spending habits. I'd've gotten a rare and been done with it.
You would have gotten a rare anyway since the game give you "rare" blades for free. by playing .. Not even story related , not even the quest related ( that exist ) but the pity system exist and give you rare blades after a certain point.
So your complain doesn't work

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Looks I have a Column 1 save(Boreas and Godfrey were my first two Rare Blades, Agate dropped soon after). Didn't get Kos-Mos, but I got Percy about as early as you could which is all that matters.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
You would have gotten a rare anyway since the game give you "rare" blades for free. by playing .. Not even story related , not even the quest related ( that exist ) but the pity system exist and give you rare blades after a certain point.
So your complain doesn't work

My complaint? This pity system definitely doesn't work beyond a point (Chapter gating?). In the final chapter I applied well over 100 rare cores to Morag and got nothing.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you can play for over 500 hours, complete the game 100%, and still not get the blade you want since it's locked behind a completely pointless gacha system is stupid. Gacha systems only exist to prey on those with gambling tendencies and take their money. A gacha system that doesn't take real money sounds like the most pointless thing in the world. At least allow people to buy blades for high in-game prices at some point.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got electra as the last blade at 250 hours. I remember saying that getting a 5 star unit in gacha game like fire emblem heroes is much easier vs this lol

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a switch with the game in april and I'm already dreading the grind...from a westerner's eyes perspective this system is bullshit for sure. I kinda get the intention but the thing that bothers me the most is that (to my understanding) these rare blades come with their own story quests. So the developer essentially gated single player story content behind a fairly low RNG change for most of these things (not even getting into kos-mos which is frankly...ridiculous).

Had the blades not come with any side quests the system would still be bullshit in my opinion but it would't be so egregious.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
People will fucking hate me if I got a Kosmos on like my third rate core with a justice booster... Right?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Could be worse, at least there's no point of no return on getting these blades. I find time sensitive team sensitive side character recruitment much worse

Oct 27, 2017
I like this kind of thing when you don't have to pay for it.

I'm getting a switch with the game in april and I'm already dreading the grind...from a westerner's eyes perspective this system is bullshit for sure. I kinda get the intention but the thing that bothers me the most is that (to my understanding) these rare blades come with their own story quests. So the developer essentially gated single player story content behind a fairly low RNG change for most of these things (not even getting into kos-mos which is frankly...ridiculous).

Had the blades not come with any side quests the system would still be bullshit in my opinion but it would't be so egregious.

Really?

ren-shin

Oct 28, 2017
This gacha system in a paid game is stupid. Even in free games I don't like it, but if the game is free, I can understand.

It's a shame, I have to finish XC2 but after 40 hours, I felt really tired of this game. I hope I can finish it someday.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never got those ultra rare cores. This pachinko shit made me ultimately stop playing the game after beating it. It's annoying as fuck and it locks a good chunk of the game behind sheer luck. Idiotic idea

michaeltraps

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really hoping they alter this in an update at some point this year. Hell, even give us a system where we can pay exorbitant amounts of gold (or XP in the upcoming NG+) to acquire rare blades. I just want to see all the story this game has to offer without being at the mercy of gacha.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably because of the gachapon that originated the term. It's a fever in japan since always, so that's why it's viewd as common and why it wasn't a paid item. The act to got something good or bad is the thinking behind it.

MG_0223-1000x667.jpg
Ugh, gacha is the wor... wait

*inserts coin into mother machine*

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know how to get legendary core crystals outside of the season pass
High level enemies. You get items when they die, an you get more items when you get to Smash in the break-topple-launch-smash sequence. There's usually a core crystal among the items, which has rarity determined by the level of the enemy.

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
I have use TWO legendary cores and gotten nothing out of them. I never understood the gatcha for rare cores. Getting from boss battles or from rare monsters would had been better. I was into the quest for Vess cause it involve getting a blade, every other quest is experience and some items. I think using the overworld to have special cores in certain places would make exploration more interesting.

Then learning about the rates here and is absurd O_O By the time you get another rare blade you'll probably have done the game story and most everything else.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Not one bit. They should have just made it to where rare core crystals got you a rare blade every time, but just make the rare core crystals more rare.
Like, if they had to have it be random, they should have had rare crystals given out as rewards for boss fights and certain sidequests. I don't like that hte rewards are random though, personally, I would have wanted the blades to all be known before opening and given at specific points so the designers could be aware which blades a player will have at a given point in the story Either way they should have scrapped the common blades entirely, and let them be moved around between party members at will.

The whole blade system is easily the worst part of the game by a long shot.

My complaint? This pity system definitely doesn't work beyond a point (Chapter gating?). In the final chapter I applied well over 100 rare cores to Morag and got nothing.
Not quite. As the OP says, there are only three pity blades, determined by a hidden variable on your save, that you probably got long before you reached the endgame. After that, you're on your own.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have use TWO legendary cores and gotten nothing out of them. I never understood the gatcha for rare cores. Getting from boss battles or from rare monsters would had been better. I was into the quest for Vess cause it involve getting a blade, every other quest is experience and some items. I think using the overworld to have special cores in certain places would make exploration more interesting.

Then learning about the rates here and is absurd O_O By the time you get another rare blade you'll probably have done the game story and most everything else.
I got about 11 of the random drops before fighting the final boss and I never did any grinding, but i did spend plenty of time exploring and doing side quests

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
I am only missing 3 blades, but I know one of them is KOS-MOS. I may try to go back and get that one after the patch.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
So I must feel really glad for having KOS-MOS after 99 hours of game trying to get her. But I still think that completing Ursula's quest is still the worst.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I juat don't get how it's an eastern vs western thing instead of a personal opinion of yours.

PUBG has this for clothes. CSGO has it for knives.

Not that this couldn't have been done better, like by giving people an option to buy or a reward for beating the game or something.

Gacha games (both virtual and physical so to speak) are massive in japan, not so much in the west (or at least they didn't use to before overwatch opened the fucking floodgates). The same goes for Korean MMOs' that have massive grinding and pay to win elements.

Korean MMO's are a particularly good example as you can see several failing left and right when brought over to the west as they don't account for westerner's habits. In general we don't see pay to win and massive grind as something positive. Of course this is a generalization and you can still find western users that enjoy mindless grind.

I think in the case of pubg and csgo the vast majority of players play it for the gameplay aspects foremost but I play neither so I can't really comment.

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
I got about 11 of the random drops before fighting the final boss and I never did any grinding, but i did spend plenty of time exploring and doing side quests

If you do most side quest you rarely need to grind, they are the easiest way to level up after all. Some can be rather tedious in the constantly sending you back for X thing or something. You can play the game easily with about 6 rare blades (as party member already has one unique blade, two more for each member of your active party). Now for field skill you do need quite a few...damn the field skills!!

The side quest start to feel empty after a point same as exploration, if more quest would give out a blade they be more rewarding (only one of the quest I did gave a blade). I love them game and clock in 82 hours and did explore and side quest...but after a point you notice the reward to do either are not that great. Heck I only had problems when it came time to fight Nia and Morag cause the blade the game auto equip me had no healing and didn't match the items and items I had equip. After changing them (once I lost) I destoryed them.