Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty interesting perspective! I actually have Gears and the Saga games but I haven't finished them, I was currently making my way through Gears for the first time, got up to Thames when I stopped (don't know how far in that is, doubt it's all that much) but I was enjoying my time with the game. I really think the deathblow combat combos were fun but I feel like for now there aren't that many times where you'd need to save up AP to do combos besides bosses I guess. Also the gear combat seems to be a bit shallow at the moment but I'm a sucker for giant robots so I still like it.

I played only a bit of Saga ep.1 got only up to that robot boss in the ship when everybody first comes together and he kicked my ass. I plan to revist the game after I finish Gears, which will probably happen only after I finish XC1 again hahah.
To be honest, Xenogears is pretty flawed and a lesser game than Blade overall, but it was so ambitious. The story's scale is such they couldn't properly do it justice in one game and never tried again. There's also that 90's Squaresoft charm I adore, and giant robots of course! As for Saga, Ep.1 and especially Ep.2 may be a bit of a pain to play nowadays but they're worth it just to experience Ep.3 - which is probably in my top 3 PS2 RPG - to its fullest.

mèx

Dec 30, 2017
Italy
Protip: the first time you enter Satorl Marsh, do it during day time.

The first time I entered Satorl Marsh was during day time, and I was like "this area fucking sucks". I was blown away when the sun set, the soundtrack started to change and the area became so damn beautiful. One of the best moment of all the Xenoblade games imho.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
The weakest part of XC1's soundtrack is the battle music. Sure You Will Know Our Names and Mechanical Rhythm are masterpieces but most normal battle themes are meh, and then there's the problem the good ones always get interrupted by Vision React lol
Unfinished battle wasn't used enough

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, Xenogears is pretty flawed and a lesser game than Blade overall, but it was so ambitious. The story's scale is such they couldn't properly do it justice in one game and never tried again. There's also that 90's Squaresoft charm I adore, and giant robots of course! As for Saga, Ep.1 and especially Ep.2 may be a bit of a pain to play nowadays but they're worth it just to experience Ep.3 - which is probably in my top 3 PS2 RPG - to its fullest.
Yeah I heard about the "disk 2" mishap of xenogears, kind of curious to get to that part of the game. Hopefully this series comes back in some manner at some point but with current SE I kind of doubt it. I was having a lot more trouble with saga's battle system when I played it, gonna have to get my head around the boost stuff when I go back to it.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a good post. Blade (1 and 2, not X) is where his skills and resources (mostly) caught up with his ambition. Episode 3 really is something special, and definitely one of the best on a system of great RPGs.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Replaying this has certainly inspired me to replay Gears and the Saga games soon too. Gonna be interesting to see how they hold up.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Just haven't personally seen anything like it before I guess, being able to run around while I'm attacking. Am I supposed to be running a bunch in combat?
If the combat system is giving you trouble, have a peek at the quick video guide linked in the OP (and stop whenever you reach a part that the game hasn't even introduced cause you don't need to overload your brain right away)

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a decent grip on combat. Hitting my B prompts. Finally know what the hell "chance" means. Getting chain attacks in. My chain attacks could use some work tho. But I'm getting there. Combat is glorious when done right

Deleted member 69771

EZgRoO8XQAAzS9W

welp. locked myself out of 3 quests without realizing :( I was going for 100% but apparently that won't be possible now, I guess 100% without 3 quests. Does anyone know other quest lines that lock you out of future quests? (Not talking about mutually exclusive ones, since those are impossible to complete at the same time anyway).

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
This morning I did several sidequests (in particular, I carefully did all the times ones). Expert Mode is a real bless - I have just put a hour in Chapter 7, my party is currently level 29, but with the experience gained from side quests it would be at level 33/34, over-leveled with respect to enemies in the new area, which are around 30.

The
Bionis Interior
is amazing, the only pity is that it is so short.. I would have spent hours in that location!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This morning I did several sidequests (in particular, I carefully did all the times ones). Expert Mode is a real bless - I have just put a hour in Chapter 7, my party is currently level 29, but with the experience gained from side quests it would be at level 33/34, over-leveled with respect to enemies in the new area, which are around 30.

The Bionos Interior is amazing, the only pity is that it is so short.. I would have spent hours in that location!
if you want to add "inline" spoilers, use the tag [ispoiler]spoiler text[/ispoiler], your spoiler tag had the actual spoiler entered as teh spoiler description!!! (very dangerous!) but since you didn't put anything in as the actual spoiler content, it only displays in replies.
[spoiler="description of spoiler content"]actual spoiler here[/spoiler]
is what the spoiler tag is supposed to look like (if you don't want to use an inline spoiler tag, which you have to add manually by adding the i in front of the opening and end tag.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
if you want to add "inline" spoilers, use the tag [ispoiler], your spoiler tag had the actual spoiler entered as teh spoiler description!!! (very dangerous!) but since you didn't put anything in as the actual spoiler content, it only displays in replies.
[spoiler="description of spoiler content"]actual spoiler here[/spoiler]
is what the spoiler tag is supposed to look like (if you don't want to use an inline spoiler tag, which you have to add manually by adding the i in front of the opening and end tag.[/ispoiler]
Thank you, I made a mistake writing with the smartphone and I didn't notice that I put the content of the spoiler in the tag

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I first played Xenoblade all those years ago it's when I did the timed sidequests in Gaur Plains that I really became obsessed.

And it's happening again! Up till 4 a.m. running around!

I forgot but at what point do these quests expire?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Or even use [cross][/cross] for the classic classified FBI report look

Like this: I fucking hate the terrible ispoiler blurring effect lol

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The first time I entered Satorl Marsh was during day time, and I was like "this area fucking sucks". I was blown away when the sun set, the soundtrack started to change and the area became so damn beautiful. One of the best moment of all the Xenoblade games imho.

Went through this experience yesterday. It was surreal.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
All the Nopon VA's must have had the time of their lives recording these voices, some of them are absolutely hilarious

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EZgRoO8XQAAzS9W

welp. locked myself out of 3 quests without realizing :( I was going for 100% but apparently that won't be possible now, I guess 100% without 3 quests. Does anyone know other quest lines that lock you out of future quests? (Not talking about mutually exclusive ones, since those are impossible to complete at the same time anyway).
Apparently they fixed this in DE...

Well, not exactly but the game doesn't force you to use the collectible.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
EZgRoO8XQAAzS9W

I think its less of a "you missed out on these quests" situation, and more of a "you made a choice so events will happen differently, including those quests not existing" situation. So rest assured, you can still 100% the game lol

Deleted member 69771

I think its less of a "you missed out on these quests" situation, and more of a "you made a choice so events will happen differently, including those quests not existing" situation. So rest assured, you can still 100% the game lol
Yeah, I'm just saying it's a bummer. I wish there would've been two extra quests for the outcome I chose for example. And I noticed that the only quest related achievements are 50, 100 and 300 quests so I'm good.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the only missable achievements are the Heart to Heart ones (you need to make sure you do super good/super bad on the dialogue choices once each), and atleast in the original if you don't talk to all the Defense Soldiers in Colony 9 before a certain event you miss out on the achievement for that.

Although there's and achievement for beating an enemy higher than you level wise...if you max out your level can you miss that?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

This is my top gaming moment ever. Like I have never had that feeling in a game. Just pure amazement. Art design in this series is god tier.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the only missable achievements are the Heart to Heart ones (you need to make sure you do super good/super bad on the dialogue choices once each), and atleast in the original if you don't talk to all the Defense Soldiers in Colony 9 before a certain event you miss out on the achievement for that.

Although there's and achievement for beating an enemy higher than you level wise...if you max out your level can you miss that?

The super bosses should cover this no?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
EZgRoO8XQAAzS9W

So looking closely(and I just got the first quest line myself) it appears all these mutually exclusive quest lines serve the same purpose. If you do the Gaur Plains request for the Lake Drop(which expires when everyone leaves the refugee camp) it builds affinity between NPC's(Matryona and Ewan).

The 'missable' set of quests appears to just be an alternative way of building affinity between those characters but only if you missed out on the first quest line that expired in the refugee camp. The quest content differs in the 'colony 6' version and it appears you get a choice that can affect the relationship in two different ways if you ignored the refugee camp quest lines.

Ultimately it's just two different methods of gaining affinity trust with colony 6 and impacting the NPC relationship of Matryona and Ewan largely. It's an either/or situation. Either you took the time to help them out early on one quest line, or you ignored them and let the first quest expire, but gain a second chance in colony 6 to do something different and still grow affinity.

Bottom line you missed nothing.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

You can just temporarily enable Expert Mode and bring everyone's levels down a few levels.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing on handheld. So far this looks better than Xenoblade 2 to me overall, particularly in IQ terms and just the sense of scale.

Kurumi

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I was feeling the same way until nighttime hit.

I was like "OH WOW....ok now I understand why people like this area.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Finally got a decent grip on combat. Hitting my B prompts. Finally know what the hell "chance" means. Getting chain attacks in. My chain attacks could use some work tho. But I'm getting there. Combat is glorious when done right
Try it out some different characters if you haven't already. The variation is very fun!

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

The game's biggest flaw is that it doesn't force you to first enter Satorl Marsh during the day, lol.

Deleted member 69771

I barely disk any heart to hearts, what should I keep in mind to get that achievement? Also are there any missable ones? When I played on Wii I only did the story and never bothered with these

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I think my favourite thing about Satorl Marsh is how they warn you that it's more dangerous at night, but none of the nighttime monsters aggro on sight so it's actually much safer.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I barely disk any heart to hearts, what should I keep in mind to get that achievement? Also are there any missable ones? When I played on Wii I only did the story and never bothered with these
You just need to make sure to succeed perfectly in one Heart to Heart by picking the right answers, and fail miserably in another by picking the wrong answers.

You just gotta make sure you do one of each of those between all the Heart to Hearts you find.

Deleted member 69771

You just need to make sure to succeed perfectly in one Heart to Heart by picking the right answers, and fail miserably in another by picking the wrong answers.

You just gotta make sure you do one of each of those between all the Heart to Hearts you find.
Ah, alright, thanks!!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just finished chapter 5, I hated that boss battle lol, what a grind.

I have to say, the way the game plays with the Monado's special power is just sublime. Spoilery details will follow (don't spoil me beyond chapter 5 please!):

The way they play around with the Monado and its ability to foresee the future is just incredible. Within the first 12 hours you have the monado predicting the future and allowing you to alter it, you have the monado predicting the future and you not being able to change it, you have the monado predicting the future wrongly, and you have the monado predicting the future in a different way from what you may have expected (Otharon and his fall) but still playing out in a unique way, this time not featuring the all-mighty hero Shulk but rather Reyn. The way they change things up really keeps the narrative compelling, and you're always on the edge of your seat wondering how the Monado's future will play out in reality.

Also, about to enter Satorl Marsh (I'll make sure to wait until daytime). Seeing it up ahead in the distance is awe-inspiring for sure.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
You only need the speed gem on the character you control. Not the whole team.

Oh really? Maybe the difference is so neglible that I just didn't notice it before but that's good to know and certainly changes some of that complaint for sure, so thanks for pointing it out!

This is something I've definitely paid attention to more in my current playthrough, and I'm genuinely kind of shocked how flat and one-dimensional a huge part of the cast, even within the main party, is.

Honestly the story in general is showing its cracks much more now, especially on the latter half.
I'm just starting to cringe at all the melodramatic shounen screaming, how everyone keeps getting EPIC LINES during EMOTIONAL MOMENTS, how the POWER OF LOVE trumps all and how Homs Hearts Are So Strong They Defy Physics and so on.
I just can't help going "wow, that's really really lame" constantly lol.

My near future XB2 replay is going to be interesting.

I don't mind the shonen stuff personally. Even though the sequel definitely commits to this a lot more and feels at more place with it with that stuff dialed all the way up, I think the reverse is true of this first game - there's not so much of it that it becomes an issue, I don't think. My problem is that too many of the characters are introduced as flat and one-dimensional and then stay that way for the entire game. Like, it came as no surprise to me that this epilogue they've added focuses exclusively on Shulk and Melia, by far the two best characters, and introduces two all-new ones instead of bothering to bring back anyone else.

In terms of the lowest moments of the game, mine has to be something that actually involves Shulk though surprisingly. Of all the things that irritated the hell out of me in the game in terms of characterisation, I think it's this: the only time he visibly cries is when the party defeats Dickson, which is ridiculous because we're shown nothing throughout the game that would possibly make you believe he cared about him that much or that they had such a deep relationship and Dickson himself is like a caricature of a villain that for some reason the game is really upfront about instead of making his betrayal a genuine surprise? And like, the whole thing is so overdramatic with the cigar falling in slow motion and some of Dickson's lines, like "the student finally surpasses the teacher". Bad bad bad.

Anyway, yeah, I think XC2 will be interesting to return to as well. I never completed Torna so I'm going to start with that and then follow it with the main game at some point!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Or even use [cross][/cross] for the classic classified FBI report look

Like this: I fucking hate the terrible ispoiler blurring effect lol
wow we still have those :O
I didn't realize! [ispoiiler]I do like how the blurred text is sorta hidden though, this is how you hide a lot of REYN TIME in the OT :P [/ispoiler]
Nothing greater than stumbling across a named monster that is a few levels higher than you and beating them after an intense battle.
I still remember taking on one of the flying elites in Satorl Marsh in the original versions and barely making it out alive. That was so good.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Even though this the third time playing, the scale in this game still astounds me. I jumped off a hovering island into Eryth Sea. I decided to swim to an island I saw in the distance. I thought the mountain on top was smaller so my depth perception assumed the island was much closer. After swimming for several minutes, I finally made it and the mountain I thought was relatively small was towering over me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ten hours in now, and I THINK I've finished every sidequest on Bionis' Leg somehow.

Also, I fought a rare monster sidequest boss on Colony 9 and it dropped two late-game weapons for Dunban. I didn't even know it was possible for enemies to drop gear for characters you don't have yet.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 5, I hated that boss battle lol, what a grind.

I have to say, the way the game plays with the Monado's special power is just sublime. Spoilery details will follow (don't spoil me beyond chapter 5 please!):

The way they play around with the Monado and its ability to foresee the future is just incredible. Within the first 12 hours you have the monado predicting the future and allowing you to alter it, you have the monado predicting the future and you not being able to change it, you have the monado predicting the future wrongly, and you have the monado predicting the future in a different way from what you may have expected (Otharon and his fall) but still playing out in a unique way, this time not featuring the all-mighty hero Shulk but rather Reyn. The way they change things up really keeps the narrative compelling, and you're always on the edge of your seat wondering how the Monado's future will play out in reality.

Also, about to enter Satorl Marsh (I'll make sure to wait until daytime). Seeing it up ahead in the distance is awe-inspiring for sure.

Yeah thats something i love about it, how it felt that he tried to make things better but it didnt always work out for them
And personally i believe he failed to change the future there, it just happened to work out well for the party.

Also dont wait for daytime, you can go to the menu and change the time yourself

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's been too long since I've played this, so remind me how much does it matter to keep armor weight down?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the shonen stuff personally. Even though the sequel definitely commits to this a lot more and feels at more place with it with that stuff dialed all the way up, I think the reverse is true of this first game - there's not so much of it that it becomes an issue, I don't think.

Oh yeah, sure, didn't get that vibe, just piggybacked off of your post a bit to harp on the story lol.

I can't say I agree with them necessarily dialing up the "shounen anime" of the sequel, though, rather than just employing different tropes and generally handling everything a bit differently (and, aside from the harem/fan service stuff and chapter 4, much more interestingly in my opinion). I think these are both extremely, EXTREMELY "shounen anime" games, and if someone asked me what game resembles your traditional shounen action anime the most, with all the popular chosen one, power up etc. tropes, I would absolutely say Xenoblade Chronicles.

Last edited:

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
So Time Attack Mode...

Uh, isn't that the cloud sea as the back drop of this place?