OP
    TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
    Oct 25, 2017
    Video Games
    here are the 1.1.1 patch notes btw:

www.perfectly-nintendo.com

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Switch): Software updates (latest: Ver. 1.1.2)

On this page, you will find all there is to know about the Software updates for Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

General

Fixed lockups that sometimes occurred on skip-travel and event-scene transition screens.
    Fixed an issue with the quest Finding Happiness where the incorrect speaker name was being displayed.
    Fixed an issue that prevented Status and Item details from displaying when the cursor was moved quickly between Cosmetic Equipment and Equipment on the Change Equipment screen.
    The buff icon now updates with the physical and ether defense buffs received and lost when the Monado Art "Armor" is activated and expires.
    Fixed the following issues with the enemy party of Leg Volffs when Napping Volffen moved toward the waterfall by the Volff Lair:
    Leg Volffs would continually move around and respawn in a small area, with an additional Leg Volff suddenly appearing.
    The Leg Volffs would stop at the watering hole instead of moving with Napping Volffen when it appeared.
    Battling any remaining Leg Volffs would cause the battle to end abruptly, and battles would start and stop as soon as you entered their line of sight.
    Fixed an issue where sound effects would continue into the subsequent scene when event skip was used during a scene where the future is shown.
    Fixed an issue where continuing to use the debuff skill "Lock-on" on an enemy would cause it to target only the first user of the skill.
    Fixed a lockup that occurred in the Central Pit when boarding the elevator with your controlled character at a certain time during its descent.
    Fixed an issue that prevented the Arts Palette from closing when no selectable arts were available during a Chain Attack.
    Fixed an issue that prevented the Arts Palette from closing when no selectable arts were available during a Chain Attack and the Junk Sword was equipped.

Why are side quests more fun? Delighted to hear this is the case as this was an aspect of the original I wasn't keen on.
    answered in the posts following that one.

Sound Selection CE Bonus Tracklist
  • OP
    OP
    TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
    Oct 25, 2017
    Video Games
    Do we know i f this is going to be a full(ish) version of the OST or the same Sound Selection that's on the LP?

1. Colony 9.wav
    2. Time to Fight!.wav
    3. Engage the Enemy.wav
    4. Gaur Plain.wav
    5. An Obstacle in Our Path.wav
    6. Frontier Village.wav
    7. You Will Know Our Names.wav
    8. Alcamoth, Imperial Capital.wav
    9. Galahad Fortress.wav
    10. Mechanical Rhythm.wav
    11. Hidden Machina Village.wav
    12. Central Factory.wav
    13. Agniratha, Mechonis Capital.wav
    14. Zanza the Divine.wav
    15. A Tragic Decision.wav
    16. In the Refugee Camp.wav
    17. Bionis' Shoulder.wav
    18. Time to Fight! (Bionis' Shoulder).wav
    19. Fogbeasts.wav
    20. Gran Dell.wav

DE Combat tweaks
  • TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
    The combat system has had some small tweaks (quotes are from Toadsili on twitter):
    You can no longer stall for time with Burst Affinity. Enemies used to just stand around charging attacks until QTE dialogue finished; this is gone. Enemies are thus notably more aggressive.
    Enemies in XBDE no longer have Topple Immunity when in the middle of an Art Attack.
    Warning a party member of a vision whilst in the middle of an Auto-attack now completes the attack to deal damage.
    There is one Art so far that functions differently now. Enchant's Bonus damage now works for Art attacks. It only worked for autos in OG (Doesn't work in Chains).
    - Luring and then instantly activating combat will still give you the Burst Affinity Prompt.
    - Revive bug is gone.
    - Selecting an art whilst moving now results in minor momentum preservation, causing some "sliding" to occur.

Mini-Map tip
  • KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
    Oh god they actually let you tag characters in the Affinity Chart so you can know where they are. Great addition.

Tip for newbies, on your mini-map in the cities, any green dot is a named character, talk to them a few times to have them added to your affinity chart. Adding them to the chart tracks them, and some if you talk to them multiple times will reveal their connections to other named characters. This both levels up the community for that area, and reveals side-quests.

It's a little tedious but if you're interested in seeing most of the game, when you get to a new area, run around and talk to each green dot at least twice, then change the time (night->day or vice versa) because different NPCs come out at different times. Then talk to them.

Make lots of friends!

I've already got Colony 9 at One Star affinity ranking and I haven't even gone to Shulk's workshop in the military district.

About City/NPC Affinity and Time of Day
  • rjinaz

Avenger
    Oct 25, 2017
    Phoenix
    First time playing and this affinity chart is going to eat up all my game time at this point. Am I supposed to talk to every named NPC twice and during both daytime/nighttime? In order to form links someone else have to name another NPC, do I then need to talk to that other NPC for the link to form even if I've already talked to him or her? Very time consuming.
    Maybe somebody answered you, but yes. You just need to change the time of day in each city you want to boost, and talk to each person again twice. I know, it's a pain. Worse is that there are like 3 time periods in the day, and 3 at night in which npcs are active and can give different responses. It's been a while since I played but so,mething like every 3 hours, starting at like 6am, run around a colony 9 and talk to everybody, then advance 3 hours every time. Eventually you will reach maximum city affinity. As I recall you can reach 5 stars (for colony 9) relatively early in the game if you're doing this and doing all the quests available.

Though some quests require you to beat like level 30 enemies when you are supposed to like level 20 so some grinding would be required. This is all just if you want to.

Map Markers!
  • TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but you can set your own map markers now. Up to 20 per area. Right now I'm using them to mark Unique Monster locations.

EZOBCmbU4AAnTL2

Fun Melia Combat Explained
  • KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
    Interesting! I'm not, I'm controlling Shulk.

Why does player control of Melia make her so much better?

Her flow involves summoning the correct Elementals for what you need (they each buff the whole party when they're out), building up to casting them at the enemy with her Talent Art. The AI just kinda does this at random with no real concern for what they're doing.

Player controlled however let's you focus on what buffs you want, shoot them at enemies when you're ready to restock, and using her Summon Copy ability to double to triple stack certain ones for bigger buffs (like having 3 of the Ether buff elements out can make her next cast strong as hell).

She's pretty complicated but you can DESTROY shit with her. Also her Starlight Kick lets her insta-kill enemies 2x her level if they're near a cliff because she'll kick them off and they'll die from fall damage.

Edit:
    also She's bonkers in Chain Attacks as long as you have Elements summoned. Since casting them for damage is her Talent, it's neutral colored, so it can be used at any point in a combo and it will keep the multiplier. So if you go Shulk/Red Art, to Dunban/Red Art, and then Melia/Talent, she'll activate the 3x Multiplier as a neutral white, allowing you to swing back around and use any color on Shulk and it'll continue to 4x. And since her casting causes Damage Over Time, you can get the multiplier on the DoTs and have her do even bigger damage. I'm pretty sure I once hit an enemy with her Fire Summon, causing Blaze DOT, at 5x, and the Blaze did like 10k damage a tick.

Last edited:
    Melia Combat Explained Vol. 2 (Arts)
  • Dice

Oct 25, 2017
    Canada
    So uh..... For normal enemies just use Summon Bolt and for bosses use Summon Earth and then looping between Summon Ice and Flare?

Summon Bolt (Ether +)

Summon Copy (Ether ++)

Summon Fire/Earth/Ice

Release Fire/Earth/Ice (Damage over Time attacks)

Should be charged up again: Summon Bolt (Ether +++)

Release Bolt (DAMAGE!!)

Summon Copy

Starlight Kick Topple

Release Bolt Copy (TOPPLE + ETHER DAMAGE!!)

[Repeat until]...

ELEMENTAL DISCHARGE TALENT ART

Use exclusive Elemental Dicharge Auras (Mind Blast/Burst End) for more incredible damage opportunities.

Unleash elements to (probably?) take out foe. 👍

For tougher fights, yeah, you can strategically pile on the bonuses you get from Summon Earth (+Def), Ice (+Mag Def), or Fire (+Atk), (the first two especially). But Melia's got a pretty good turnaround cycle with the above. Do NOT even bother with Summon Aqua, even pumping up the skill level and mixing it with Healing Up skills, it never really does enough for what you have to put in. Melia is far better elsewhere. Also, no AI, play as her or don't even bother.

Last edited:
    Combat Guide by Enel (In-depth for beginners and veterans alike, no spoilers)
  • Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
    Banned
    Nov 7, 2018
    I watched this video from Enel, who apparently holds multiple WRs in speedruns of xenoblade games, and he has some pretty nice info to learn about the mechanics, chain attacks, stats, etc.

Namely, levels matter quite a bit in this game it seems. Being lower level than the opponent by more than 2 levels & they will gain some advantages over you, and vice versa. So once you reach 3 levels above your opponent you gain some buffs to hit & evasion against them. Once you're more than 6 levels above/below it gets even more pronounced.

Hope it helps some of the people struggling. It looks like he's going to be putting out some character guides as well.

Last edited:
    Sharla Rifle Heat % DMG/Heal Explained
  • Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
    Hey, totally unrelated but do you have any link with an in-depth explanation of Sharla's mechanics that you were mentioning in a previous post? I never knew about the correlation between ether damage/whatever and the temperature of the rifle, and I can't seem to find anything on the Internet. Thanks! ^^
    Japanese guide, Carna/Sharla's page

If you scroll down you see the relation between the % of heat and power of attacks/heal.

At 0% heat you get :
    100% arts attack power 125% heal power

At 100% heat :
    156% arts attack power 85% heal power.

Healing power actually goes down to 80% max a bit before overheat.

So you basically heal first, then buff/debuff and lastly attack for max power for all. And if you're good your last attack gets the gun at 95% heat so you can quick cooldown.

But a long cooldown heals her for more on a longer period so it could also work if you're not full health or if you're being attacked and don't have any heal available at the moment. Buys some time. Tricky but entertaining to make use of.

Tl;dr : When the gun is cool, heal, when it's hotter, attack.

Last edited:
    Alternate Wiimote-like control layout
  • Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
    Italy
    Well we've had the ZL/ZR remapping posted three or four times but other than that yea. Could you post a screenshot of you layout? it sounds kinda wild. (you can screenshot Switch home menu screens too).
    Sure!

Had to experiment a bit but this one feels the definitive (no pun intended) version.

I guess I was too used to the Wii control scheme to set it in a different way lol.

Combat is definitely snappier to me!

Spike Damage 101
  • JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
    So it's not wise to only play as Shulk ?

is it even possible to complete the game with only using him?
    It is. There is a minor story fight where Shulk is literally useless; I believe that's the only time I ever switched off him in my initial playthrough. There's also a late-game boss that's infamously hard if you use physical attackers; I think I still played Shulk for that fight.
    I've been getting my ass kicked by this UM with spike damage in Makna Forest. It was one hit away from dying one time but my party got wiped by that lvl 80+ dino that patrols the area 😭
    Spikes are awful. You can erase them with Monado Purge but only for a few seconds.

Best you can do is try to burst him down with a Chain Attack. Or try it when you have Riki so he can DoT it (with chain multipliers)
    I guess it's spike guide time.

Spike damage is probably one of the toughest things to grapple with on your first run through the game. It funnels you towards using Purge, the art it introduces around the time spikes start showing up. And Purge does help in a pinch, especially if it's just some rando monster you weren't anticipating dealing spike damage. But what if spamming Purge isn't enough (it starts at 10 seconds, and gets merely +.5 per rank), or isn't viable due to needing Shield/Speed? What if you aren't even playing Shulk? There are other options:

-Perhaps most obviously, there's spike defence gems. These do exactly what they say on the tin, and can eliminate spike damage entirely if you get them to 100%.

-Spikes actually have range! Most are 10M or less. This isn't helpful for most of the cast, but Melia and Sharla can safely sit well outside of spike range, free to wail on the enemy.

-For tough UM's with spike damage, I suggest toppling then triggering a chain attack (toppling before the chain attack is preferred, but for some you may need to initiate the chain attack to reliably break). Enemies with counter spikes do not spike while toppled. Getting a nice max multiplier chain attack in on a toppled UM is huge.

That last one is probably the most useful, as it works with any party and equipment composition. Try to save your break/topple arts for when your party gauge is full, and hopefully you've built some affinity between your current party members to increase the chance of a chain link. Sharla may be the only poor character for this, since she'll just interrupt the multiplier unless you're using Melia and Riki.

You may have noticed I specifically called out "counter spikes". There are two other spike types: topple spikes and range spikes. Gems and staying out of range still work for both.

-Topple spikes work like counters, but in reverse; they only activate when the enemy is toppled. No, you won't get warned about it beforehand. If an enemy suddenly gains the spike graphic on the battle tag, this is why. Just be glad the game notifies you of spike damage at all now (I've done quite a few chain attacks on toppled enemies just to suddenly wipe in the original), and don't topple them again.

-Range spikes do damage every 5 seconds. These can only be eliminated with Purge, but you can freeze time with a chain attack and not worry about it. These are very rare; only 4 monsters in the game have regular range spikes, and they're all very high-level optional content.

One last thing: while all spikes are either counter, topple, or range, they don't all deal damage; some apply a debuff instead. It's possible to hit an enemy and suddenly find yourself asleep, or toppled, or something less noticeable if you don't keep an eye on the HUD on the left. If you see the spike tag but notice you aren't taking damage, check your debuffs. Spike defence won't work on these; you'll need the appropriate debuff resist (or just generic debuff resist gem, but these are considerably rare until late game).

Last edited:
    A bit more on Sharla's Rifle Heat mechanic
  • Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
    Okay...what's your source on this? The wiki doesn't say anything about it and I can't find it anywhere.
    Too add to what TheMoon answered you there are other guides stating this as well, for example :
    Another japanese online guide

"ゲージが低いほど回復系アーツの効果が上昇し、高いほど攻撃系アーツの効果が上昇するという効果もあります。"
    Summed up literally : the lower the gauge is the more healing arts effect is raised. The higher the gauge, the more attack arts effect is raised.

Some japanese guides sometimes have pretty deep mechanics you don't always see elsewhere.
    I don't know if it's from a very specific written official guide that I don't have or through tests but they never leave such an information, without any doubt, if it's not true.

I also used it on Wii and it works. It was quite effective early so I think it could be quite interesting later on.
    I still have to work on the character a bit.
    If only I could receive my copy... DX ...

Some more Melia strats
  • Beren

One Winged Slayer
    Oct 25, 2017
    Thank you for your suggestions! I tried to use Melia-Reyn-Shulk in some battles for the moment, against enemies of the same level (or 1-2 level higher), and the first thing I noticed is really what you told me now - without Sharla, the fights were much faster! Reyn takes most of the damage, and Shulk is able to heal him when needed. At the moment Melia has only two elemental Arts (Fire and Lightning), but her potential is already evident.
    I think i will follow your suggestion about trying Dunban too, after changing his clothes (or removing, at this point) and his gems. I am then particularly intereted in Riki - he hasn't joined the party yet, but according to your description he can perfectly work as a tank too, in place od Reyn or Dunban.
    Glad I could help!

I don't know what you already know, but I will just say that Melia will get a healing elemental Art later, and a Toppling ability, but the real magic happens when she gets Copy (I think it's called Summon Copy), because that actually stacks with the regular summons. Lightning boosts Ether, which obviously she uses, so a nice way to deal lots of damage is Lightning -> Copy -> other elemental Art -> launch that one -> other elemental Art -> launch that, and just keep blasting them. Of course, you can copy the healing elemental Art too when you get it, for extra recovery instead of firepower.

One of my favorite teams is me as Melia plus Riki and Dunban. Lightweight Dunban just dodges everything, and Riki soaks up damage and lays on status effects and damage, and Melia can just open fire without drawing aggro since Riki and Dunban do it so naturally. Dunban doesn't need much healing, since he rarely gets hit, and Riki and Melia have healing Arts they can perform - Riki's can actually heal the whole party as it's an AoE Art. (Reyn is a great Tank too, just a different kind!) When you get the last party member, you can really go nuts with healing by way of Critical Hits and gems and Skills that heal whenever you crit, and then just boosting your crit chances. With some creativity, you can create self-perpetuating feedback loops to heal and damage, once more Skill Links and gems are open to you. It's a pretty fun combat system, and it's varied enough that a dedicated healer just isn't necessary outside of some tough mid-game unique monsters. Sharla just gets the least use out of that combat system, unfortunately. I'm sure you'll still find times where Sharla is needed when you can't outpace an enemy, but those are exceptions and not the rule. I'm pretty sure that's why in later Xenoblade games they do away with the concept of a dedicated healer - even Nia gets to dish out plenty of damage.

I think people see the classic Attacker/Tank/Healer triangle in the first three party members and think that's the way to go, but I think it's really there to help out the players who are very new to the genre or don't want to go any deeper into the systems than that.

Upgrading low level gems
  • Beren

One Winged Slayer
    Oct 25, 2017
    Can I sell crystals and cylinders? Like when I start getting lvl 2 stuff should I start selling the level 1 stuff that I have?
    You can actually turn level one crystals and cylinders into level 2 gems if you work the crafting properly. If you can use gentle flames (Sharla plus Riki works very well) to edge the traits you want close to 100% without hitting that mark, turn those into cylinders, and then use two 80-99% cylinders with a pairing that use strong flames (Shulk and Reyn are easy) and get the percentage to 300% (misremembered as 2, thank you Chaosblade for correcting me), you'll produce a mega-heated gem which boosts it to the next level (so, 1 to level 2). This can be used to turn level 5 crystals and cylinders into level 6 gems.

If you think the traits of the cylinders and crystals you have are worth using and want to get some level 2 gems out of them, go for it. Once you start working to level 3 gems or you have crystals at level 1 with traits you won't use, then yeah just sell those for cash.

The dialogues are kinda average but in 3 days I already sank more time in this game than in FF7R. I've just reached the mines and it's becoming a slog though, I see no end to it when I look down. It's the first time I feel the rhythm to by unsatisfactory. Reminds me of Xenogears' never ending sewers.
    The mines are easily the worst part of the game imo. Thankfully they're not as long as they seem and you'll be out of them soon enough and to the rest of the game.

Last edited:
    Spreadsheet Guide (Gifts, Unique Monsters, Reconstruction Quests, etc)
  • rjinaz

Avenger
    Oct 25, 2017
    Phoenix
    I'm sure this has been shared but I wouldn't ever play this game without this Google Doc. Lists just about everything you can imagine from the rare monsters to Colony 6 settlers. Potential spoilers depending on what you click on

docs.google.com

Xenoblade

Gifts T: trade,R: reconstruction O: overtrade,Q: Quest E: Either,B: Both,Shulk,Fiora,Reyn,Sharla,Dunban,Melia,Riki Vegetable Sweet Wasabi,Colony 9,-1,1,1,-1,1,-1,1 Cool Potato,Colony 9,1,1,1,-1,1,-1,1 Red Lettuce,Colony 9,-1,1,1,1,1,-1,1 Chewy Radish,Colony 9,-1,2,1,1,-1,1,1 Hot Taro,Bionis' Leg,-1

Easy Affinity grind tip
  • RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
    May 22, 2018
    Just found a really easy way to grind affinity between characters. It's almost the same as the method I've seen people talk about using a high level UM in Eryth Sea, but this is easy to do earlier in the game:

-Go the Nopon Arch in Makna Forest, use Expert mode to lower your AI controlled characters to lvl 20-ish, while keeping your leader higher leveled.

-Fight the Jungle Quadwings in front of you, your AI characters will miss all their attacks and their tension will decrease thereby allowing you to Encourage them for free affinity

-The Quadwings love putting your party to sleep. Since your leader is higher level, they'll draw all the aggro and will always be the first to be woken up. Wake up your party members for even more affinity.

This lets you speed through affinity ranks really quickly

Version 1.1.2 Patch Notes
  • OP
    OP
    TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
    Oct 25, 2017
    Video Games
    Ver. 1.1.2 (Released 9 July 2020)

Feature Changes
    • Changing the Tutorial notifications in Notification Settings to Don't Notify will now cause recommendations to try Casual Mode to not appear.
      • This can be set through Options → Notification Settings and setting Tutorials to Don't Notify.
    • Some of the "!" icons appearing on the area map and in the field while using Travel Guidance can now be disabled. Disabling them will remove them from enemies and collectibles concerning the quest, however they will still appear above the quest-giving NPC as usual.
      • This can be set through Options → Display Settings and setting Travel Guidance to Hide.

Spec Adjustments
    • Starting a New Game Plus after lowering character levels in the New Game Plus Settings could cause the number of Affinity Coins held to decrease. If this has occurred, loading save data will apply the correct amount.
    • Starting a New Game Plus after lowering character levels in the New Game + Settings would result in more Skill Links being active than Affinity Coins available for them. If this has occurred, removing Skill Links so that they are lower than the number of Affinity Coins will cause them to function as usual. Additionally, Skill Links can be removed with the + Button.
    • Fixed the attack-interval value during battle for some characters (Shulk, Reyn, and Nene are unaffected). The attack intervals while affected by Slow will slow down and quicken while affected by Haste—making it easier to sense when affected by Haste/Slow.
    • Fixed an issue after a boss fight in Chapter 16 where three-slot weapons would become two-slot weapons, with all equipped gems being removed.
    • Fixed an issue where switching the BGM between Arranged and Original in the options during certain event scenes wouldn't affect the song "Engage the Enemy."
      • "Engage the Enemy" can be changed with Toggle Field BGM in the Options.

Lockups
    • Fixed a lockup that occurred when closing the quest-clear dialogue during the quest Clearing Obstructions after Reyn's level rose to 16 after beating three Zealous Arachnos.
    • Fixed a lockup that sometimes occurred when battling Nero Andos.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the player to become uncontrollable when attempting to trade with an NPC who disappeared due to the passage of time.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the player to become uncontrollable when falling off a ledge just before seeing a vision from a collectible.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the player to become uncontrollable after finishing a battle while unconscious.
    • Fixed a lockup that occurred when changing gems or the time on the main menu during the interval in the last battle.
    • Fixed a lockup that occurred when bringing up information dialogue while pressing the – Button to call up Help at the same time.
    • Fixed an issue that caused characters to be in the topple status when an event scene and a vision prompted by a collectible item would occur at the same time.

Other Fixes
    • Fixed an issue that caused the quest to become unacceptable when changing to a different event or changing the time while talking to a quest-giving NPC.
    • Fixed an issue where if the controlled character were cheered up and HP were restored at the same time they lost consciousness, they would lose consciousness with that amount of HP remaining.
    • Fixed an issue where Travel Guidance wouldn't display correctly during the quest Monado Replica 5.
    • Fixed an issue where selecting Arts simultaneously with being dazed would cause the character to be stuck in the fainting motion.
    • Fixed an issue where accepting a quest with the Weapon Development Lab as its destination would cause the Travel Guidance route not to appear.
    • Fixed an issue where loading an autosave file after hearing a quest-acceptance conversation would cause quest progress already seen to return to that before having heard the conversation.
    • Fixed an issue that caused battles with Gentle Mother Armu, Baby Armus, and Deluded Ignas to be disengaged too easily.
    • Fixed an issue where changing the controlled character while climbing a wall would cause the character to fall through the wall. (RIP Tephra Cave speedrun skip)
    • Fixed an issue where the BGM wouldn't play during certain event scenes.
    • Fixed an issue where in Chapter Nine, while the Mechon soldiers do battle with the Laias on Prison Island, viewing Prison Island from Eryth Sea would show the battle effects, but they weren't visible from Imperial Capitol Alcamoth.
    • Fixed an issue that caused leveling up after defeating an enemy with a Chain Attack to cause the numeric display of the level to appear strange.
    • Although the added damage would function properly, fixed an issue that caused the damage displayed on screen to appear 256 points lower than the actual value when the additional damage value of added attack gems would surpass 256.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...de-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition-1790729.html