• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
Just got to Eryth Sea, and I still love the look of this area, more than Satorl Marsh. 🥰

TTN7Mgr.png

Oof, that's nice. This is why, if it comes to it, I think I'll just enabled Casual Mode to get through the game quicker, as this is the sorta awesome shit I want to see. Stunning.

Baron Bliss

Oct 31, 2017
Can anyone help with The Giant's Key quest?
the one in Satorl Marsh where you go to the top of Exile Fortress
I'm currently level 28 but there's like 8 enemies in there with one at level 32. Do I just have to come back later?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently level 28 but there's like 8 enemies in there with one at level 32. Do I just have to come back later?

There is another entrance that allows you to sneak past the enemies to get where you need to go.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What was that one non-respawning weapon that you needed to farm for Dunban's best weapon?

Baron Bliss

Oct 31, 2017
There is another entrance that allows you to sneak past the enemies to get where you need to go.

The map shows two entrances, but each just lead into the same room with the enemies. Behind the
throne with the higher level ignas there's a "Sin Door"
but I can't open it during battle. What other entrance is there?

A bit more on Sharla's Rifle Heat mechanic

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Okay...what's your source on this? The wiki doesn't say anything about it and I can't find it anywhere.
Too add to what TheMoon answered you there are other guides stating this as well, for example :
Another japanese online guide

"ゲージが低いほど回復系アーツの効果が上昇し、高いほど攻撃系アーツの効果が上昇するという効果もあります。"
Summed up literally : the lower the gauge is the more healing arts effect is raised. The higher the gauge, the more attack arts effect is raised.

Some japanese guides sometimes have pretty deep mechanics you don't always see elsewhere.
I don't know if it's from a very specific written official guide that I don't have or through tests but they never leave such an information, without any doubt, if it's not true.

I also used it on Wii and it works. It was quite effective early so I think it could be quite interesting later on.
I still have to work on the character a bit.
If only I could receive my copy... DX ...

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Just lure the enemies on the 2 sides outside, defeat them and sneak inside by staying very close to the walls. You won't trigger the high level enemy.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
The map shows two entrances, but each just lead into the same room with the enemies. Behind the

There is a back entrance that I believe you have entered already - from what I recall you should be able to skirt around the back of the room without aggroing.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm around level 55 and a little over halfway through the game. Is there an easy way to grind out affinity between characters at this point? I remember there being a high level (87 iirc) Unique Enemy in Eryth Sea that constantly puts you to sleep if you hit it and I used to just stand there and wake characters over and over to gain hearts, but is there something like that earlier and lower level? Been a while.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
The dialogues are kinda average but in 3 days I already sank more time in this game than in FF7R. I've just reached the mines and it's becoming a slog though, I see no end to it when I look down. It's the first time I feel the rhythm to by unsatisfactory. Reminds me of Xenogears' never ending sewers.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The dialogues are kinda average but in 3 days I already sank more time in this game than in FF7R. I've just reached the mines and it's becoming a slog though, I see no end to it when I look down. It's the first time I feel the rhythm to by unsatisfactory. Reminds me of Xenogears' never ending sewers.

It's really not that long of a dungeon.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the lower levels has an elevator that you ride downward to the boss. You can count the levels from the map.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The mines are massive, no doubt: there are four floors ( I think), but they're all joined by long elevator rides. I've only just gotten there myself but iirc what comes later it's the biggest "dungeon/cave" type place for quite a while, so don't let the scale get you too down

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm around level 55 and a little over halfway through the game. Is there an easy way to grind out affinity between characters at this point? I remember there being a high level (87 iirc) Unique Enemy in Eryth Sea that constantly puts you to sleep if you hit it and I used to just stand there and wake characters over and over to gain hearts, but is there something like that earlier and lower level? Been a while.
I don't think so, this is the indeed the most famous way to grind affinity. Before that I just spam gifts. Shulk and Melia both have some very easy 3 hearts gifts to find (in Colony 9 for Shulk, a gadget, Colony 6 for Melia, a dog)
Especially easy for Melia since Colony 6 doesn't have a lot of collectibles.

Some more Melia strats

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your suggestions! I tried to use Melia-Reyn-Shulk in some battles for the moment, against enemies of the same level (or 1-2 level higher), and the first thing I noticed is really what you told me now - without Sharla, the fights were much faster! Reyn takes most of the damage, and Shulk is able to heal him when needed. At the moment Melia has only two elemental Arts (Fire and Lightning), but her potential is already evident.
I think i will follow your suggestion about trying Dunban too, after changing his clothes (or removing, at this point) and his gems. I am then particularly intereted in Riki - he hasn't joined the party yet, but according to your description he can perfectly work as a tank too, in place od Reyn or Dunban.
Glad I could help!

I don't know what you already know, but I will just say that Melia will get a healing elemental Art later, and a Toppling ability, but the real magic happens when she gets Copy (I think it's called Summon Copy), because that actually stacks with the regular summons. Lightning boosts Ether, which obviously she uses, so a nice way to deal lots of damage is Lightning -> Copy -> other elemental Art -> launch that one -> other elemental Art -> launch that, and just keep blasting them. Of course, you can copy the healing elemental Art too when you get it, for extra recovery instead of firepower.

One of my favorite teams is me as Melia plus Riki and Dunban. Lightweight Dunban just dodges everything, and Riki soaks up damage and lays on status effects and damage, and Melia can just open fire without drawing aggro since Riki and Dunban do it so naturally. Dunban doesn't need much healing, since he rarely gets hit, and Riki and Melia have healing Arts they can perform - Riki's can actually heal the whole party as it's an AoE Art. (Reyn is a great Tank too, just a different kind!) When you get the last party member, you can really go nuts with healing by way of Critical Hits and gems and Skills that heal whenever you crit, and then just boosting your crit chances. With some creativity, you can create self-perpetuating feedback loops to heal and damage, once more Skill Links and gems are open to you. It's a pretty fun combat system, and it's varied enough that a dedicated healer just isn't necessary outside of some tough mid-game unique monsters. Sharla just gets the least use out of that combat system, unfortunately. I'm sure you'll still find times where Sharla is needed when you can't outpace an enemy, but those are exceptions and not the rule. I'm pretty sure that's why in later Xenoblade games they do away with the concept of a dedicated healer - even Nia gets to dish out plenty of damage.

I think people see the classic Attacker/Tank/Healer triangle in the first three party members and think that's the way to go, but I think it's really there to help out the players who are very new to the genre or don't want to go any deeper into the systems than that.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So I played the original I remember a few things but now I'm really taking my timing even feeling it.

But I wanted to ask, how can I make Reyn work. I remember that in the original Wii I kinda neglected him, any tips? Because right now he is carrying the whole team but still I'm in chapter 2 at the moment...

Spoiler for a XP method
Was the ape thing bug with Melia fixed for easy XP?

EDIT: Currently reading some of the threadmarks

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Can I sell crystals and cylinders? Like when I start getting lvl 2 stuff should I start selling the level 1 stuff that I have?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm gonna eat crow. The remixed soundtrack sounds way better in practice than I was expecting it to from gameplay videos. I haven't turned it off once since I started.

That said, it now feels very odd how battle and exploration themes have been redone but cutscene music (seemingly?) remained untouched. What's the deal?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I know you figured this out, but you should try to beat that enemy without overleveling. At that point of the game, that enemy is nearly superboss-tier. Of course once you get above level 34 or so it starts getting a lot easier due to stat bonuses.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
So I played the original I remember a few things but now I'm really taking my timing even feeling it.

But I wanted to ask, how can I make Reyn work. I remember that in the original Wii I kinda neglected him, any tips? Because right now he is carrying the whole team but still I'm in chapter 2 at the moment...

Spoiler for a XP method
Was the ape thing bug with Melia fixed for easy XP?

EDIT: Currently reading some of the threadmarks
Nope. you can still do it.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
After the whole resolution hub bub I'm actually VERY impressed by how this looks on the Switch Lite. The image is soft, but super smooth. There's hardly any aliasing and things look very good up close. Definitely happy with the visuals, and that's often not the case for me. Dragon Quest XI, for instance, I think looks horrible on the Lite, and even Super Mario Odyssey has a lot of aliasing issues. I wasn't expecting to be impressed but Xenoblade looks very nice.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Final dungeon time. Might be able to finish this tonight. Bless the casual mode.

Upgrading low level gems

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can I sell crystals and cylinders? Like when I start getting lvl 2 stuff should I start selling the level 1 stuff that I have?
You can actually turn level one crystals and cylinders into level 2 gems if you work the crafting properly. If you can use gentle flames (Sharla plus Riki works very well) to edge the traits you want close to 100% without hitting that mark, turn those into cylinders, and then use two 80-99% cylinders with a pairing that use strong flames (Shulk and Reyn are easy) and get the percentage to 300% (misremembered as 2, thank you Chaosblade for correcting me), you'll produce a mega-heated gem which boosts it to the next level (so, 1 to level 2). This can be used to turn level 5 crystals and cylinders into level 6 gems.

If you think the traits of the cylinders and crystals you have are worth using and want to get some level 2 gems out of them, go for it. Once you start working to level 3 gems or you have crystals at level 1 with traits you won't use, then yeah just sell those for cash.

The mines are easily the worst part of the game imo. Thankfully they're not as long as they seem and you'll be out of them soon enough and to the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just got Dunban. Good times are ahead

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Didn't realise how similar this game was (or the other way around) to XC2 in terms of story beats

I'm at
Alcamoth
and I can tell that something's going to happen, similar to
Indoline
just because of all the side quests that are time limited lol

Could be wrong of course

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else playing naked? I feel like their naked outfits are better than most of their cosmetics.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love this game so much, I helped make the OT and have been answering questions because I know the game like the back of my hand.... I'm also still waiting on my copy. T_T IT HUUURTSSSS 💔 😂 😭😂

Like Beren said, you can jack up Level 1 gems another level if they're good enough quality. But yeah, after a while you'll start seeing more 2s and you can sell ALL the 1's (just be warned if you're gonna mass-sell, some of the really good ones, like AP UP, tend to be more lower level).

Yeah, I kinda hate the Colony 6 chapter of Xenoblade, it's sorta long and not especially fun. Xenoblade 1 is one of my GOAT's, but I honestly didn't fall in love with it till later. :P

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game so much, I helped make the OT and have been answering questions because I know the game like the back of my hand.... I'm also still waiting on my copy. T_T IT HUUURTSSSS 💔 😂 😭😂

Now I feel bad. I ordered my copy on Friday morning and I already got it. How long is your delivery scheduled to take!?

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
After the whole resolution hub bub I'm actually VERY impressed by how this looks on the Switch Lite. The image is soft, but super smooth. There's hardly any aliasing and things look very good up close. Definitely happy with the visuals, and that's often not the case for me. Dragon Quest XI, for instance, I think looks horrible on the Lite, and even Super Mario Odyssey has a lot of aliasing issues. I wasn't expecting to be impressed but Xenoblade looks very nice.

As someone who said on this very forum I'd be skipping DE, I've never been more happy to buckle haha. After reading up and watching a few videos, it seems that the sharpening filter was what made XC2 look so wack to me. I am not a resolution/frame rate person at all really, but something always bothered me about it.

The implementation in DE looks much nicer to me. Like you said: soft but while still retaining a nice IQ in motion. Hooked all over again.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for everyone - when I buy a piece of armor, it unlocks in the appearance menu as well, of course, but once it's in the appearance menu, will it stay there even after I sell that armor/no longer have that armor in my inventory?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now I feel bad. I ordered my copy on Friday morning and I already got it. How long is your delivery scheduled to take!?

No idea, local delivery but I did 0 to bother with tracking/insurance (Canada has kinda slowed-right-up for regular mail delivery too).

So I'm sitting here over-thinking about it while my brain plays Gaur Plains music very loudly. :P

I see Melia has an Era account

this joke is adorable.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Other people already gave you information you needed. However, there's a second mission to the same area and that mission has a jump scare in it.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Reyn is pretty straightforward, you just need to decide on his role and build around it. He can either tank by focusing on arts that boost aggro or just deal damage. I use berserker for a damage oriented Reyn, and get rid of the ones that boost talent gauge or build aggro.
You can actually turn level one crystals and cylinders into level 2 gems if you work the crafting properly. If you can use gentle flames (Sharla plus Riki works very well) to edge the traits you want close to 100% without hitting that mark, turn those into cylinders, and then use two 80-99% cylinders with a pairing that use strong flames (Shulk and Reyn are easy) and get the percentage to 200%, you'll produce a mega-heated gem which boosts it to the next level (so, 1 to level 2). This can be used to turn level 5 crystals and cylinders into level 6 gems.

If you think the traits of the cylinders and crystals you have are worth using and want to get some level 2 gems out of them, go for it. Once you start working to level 3 gems or you have crystals at level 1 with traits you won't use, then yeah just sell those for cash.

The mines are easily the worst part of the game imo. Thankfully they're not as long as they seem and you'll be out of them soon enough and to the rest of the game.

Sharla/Riki to break gems down into cylinders because they will almost entirely get boosted gentle flames.

(Somebody)/Melia is best at building up cylinders up to 99ish. Who you use with her depends on a lot of factors, check the bonuses and number of turns to decide what's best. Can explain in detail when I'm not on my phone.

Dunban/Reyn are best combining the final cylinders, once they have affinity up. Until then, Shulk/Reyn is best. Riki/Reyn can also be good with high affinity.

You can go past heat state into mega heat at 300%. That gives you two gems of the best level with max stats. I'm not aware of anything at 400%, but it's doable with high enough party affinity.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Decided to restart my file last night because I found out the hard way how Expert Mode actually works when you get new party members. New members don't come with banked EXP that reflects what your party has earned overall. Instead, they join with a level based on the level that your party members are currently at, so it was a rude awakening when Sharla joined at level 14 when Shulk and Reyn could be leveled up to 20, but were set to level 14 when Sharla joined. I had saved right after getting her too, so I couldn't go back and fix my mistake.

Thankfully, it wasn't a huge loss; I had only played a little over 8 hours and I pretty much understand how to get through the beginning efficiently/quickly while still doing all of the side stuff I want to do. Also helps that all of the cosmetic armor from my previous file carried over into my new one (cosmetic gear seems to save separately from the save file itself). I was still annoyed by the revelation of how Expert Mode works, but I have no issue diving back into a new save with that information in mind.

Otherwise everything's been fantastic. It's been a treat going back into the world of Xenoblade, especially with the visual and general QoL improvements. Side questing got the biggest overhaul in particular; the quest markers and ability to set active quests is an absolute godsend, and makes me want to actually go out of my way to do side quests now.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sharla/Riki to break gems down into cylinders because they will almost entirely get boosted gentle flames.

(Somebody)/Melia is best at building up cylinders up to 99ish. Who you use with her depends on a lot of factors, check the bonuses and number of turns to decide what's best. Can explain in detail when I'm not on my phone.

Dunban/Reyn are best combining the final cylinders, once they have affinity up. Until then, Shulk/Reyn is best. Riki/Reyn can also be good with high affinity.

You can go past heat state into mega heat at 300%. That gives you two gems of the best level with max stats. I'm not aware of anything at 400%, but it's doable with high enough party affinity.
SpottieO These are some more good tips for gem crafting if you can make it work with those level 1s.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I went right to Future Connected and it was interesting that they defaulted the leader to Melia. I never used her for XC1 so can anyone give tips on the best way to use her? Stack 3 different elements then release, right? Are any of them particularly OP?