• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
They would need to cut the bloom, remove the foliage completely (other than maybe bushes, but they have to be a static image that rotates or something), basically redo the models for everything to have a lower polygon count, and have some worse textures. This just looks like you turned down all of the settings and put bloom on max.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A homage to N64 platformers that missed what made those games great incorporates a mode that is a homage to the look of N64 games and misses what those games looked like.

Powerful metaphor for something.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's not at all what I wanted. I wanted a low poly look. This is just making it look like an Xbox 1 game.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
...OK? Feel free to give some useful criticism on it as others in this thread have instead of pointless negativity. If it's a WIP it means they can make it look better by release which is surely what everybody wants.
Sure.

It doesn't look like an N64 game at all.

N64 games have aged possibly the worst among all generations of games, graphically, so this seems like an even worse decision.

Work in progress or not, the work they've chosen to show has elements that are just not synonymous with a Banjo-Kazooie-like game and just doesn't look... right.

It's not for me, but I had to see what they thought "N64 style graphics" looked like, since it feels like there is almost no nostalgia for the way those games looked.

However, I hope the Kickstarter backers enjoy!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, I was expecting low poly models with blurry filtered textures, all at 20fps. That would have been neat as a bonus feature. This just looks... bad and with even less charm than the original. :(

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that looks nothing like an N64 game lol

And this still doesn't change much with the medicore core game and its bad level design, I'd been more interested if they were working in expansion/dlc for the game.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like low settings on PC, does not look like a N64 aesthetic at all. To do this for real would take a lot of effort, as it would require creating new assets from scratch. Who thought this was a smart idea?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not for me, but I had to see what they thought "N64 style graphics" looked like, since it feels like there is almost no nostalgia for the way those games looked.

There's a ton of nostalgia for those graphics. There are even blogs dedicated tomaking more of those graphics.

They are as appealing as retro graphics in the same way that 8-bit and 16-bit graphics are appealing as retro graphics; using limited visual information to convey something greater.

This however, looks nothing like visuals from the era. It's like half a decade removed at best.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
with how long this was taking i was expecting a full redo visually, this just looks like they cranked everything super low and called it.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is what it should have looked like:

tumblr_nnqgunVqoL1rqz5qko4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nnqgunVqoL1rqz5qko1_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_nnqgunVqoL1rqz5qko3_r1_400.gif

tumblr_no7q0nGpuR1rqz5qko4_r1_400.gif

tumblr_no7q0nGpuR1rqz5qko1_1280.jpg

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm not sure removing normal maps and alpha channels is gonna cut it... They've got to REALLY downgrade it...

I really want to impress upon people just how much work it would be to remove poly's from every model in the game...
Cause once you mess up that mesh you need to re unwrap it for texturing, Then assuming that they could just shrink all the textures to 128x128 or 64x32 or something... they could re texture the assets using the same textures... but it might not give the desired result due to all the modern processing that textures go through... AND... if you change the mesh you need to re-skin it to the joints and hope the rig doesnt break so that the animations can still carry through. And they'd have to do this for all the characters, levels ... world assets and anything you can see... and that's assuming that doesn't mess up the hit-boxes and collisions... if they have to remake those then ... you might as well make a new game.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
These models are perfect. It's shocking that Playtonic couldn't even muster up a little bit of cash to pay these guys for the models.

Redoing every asset in the game in this style would have cost a lot more than what they are probably willing to sink into a year+ old game that has sort of sunk out of relevancy.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't remember any N64 games having DOF in the background like in that shot. or models with that high polygon counts.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure they are putting in the effort but that looks nothing like the classic 64 platformers...

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I think we were expecting hard edge modelling and basic models picked up by texture work. This is just knocked down textures.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just started this yesterday and boy what a disappointment. It has all the right ingredients but some how misses the mark completely. There's some highlights, like the music and the nostalgia factor but it seems to fail at everything else. Frustrating camera, bad level design, terrible aiming mechanics. There's potential for a good game but it's poorly designed. I don't know if it was a lack of money or what but it just felt outdated like they'd made the graphics HD but left everything else in the past. Such a shame. It just made me want to play Banjo Kazooie instead.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know Playtonic has their hearts in the right place but man, they really struggle with this game.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should have focused on low poly models at least for Yooka and Laylee and low quality textures with a lot of effects off.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I thought it was going to be low-poly models for Yooka and Laylee (because obviously remaking the entire game's assets to make it look like an N64 game is a huge amount of wasted effort).

This is just sad.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the pics more, I see they gave Yooka and Laylee bigger pupils to try to fit the old N64 aesthetic as well, but it ends up making them look they're high lol.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Yeah, they're not delivering (yet) but it's still weird to go "who wants this?" when the game literally was funded on nostalgic value alone, it's absolutely clear who wants this.
What does people wanting 3D platformers have to do with a low graphics setting filter? I liked N64 3D platformers but I don't like games that purposely look like shit. I'm really not seeing your point?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
What does people wanting 3D platformers have to do with a low graphics setting filter? I liked N64 3D platformers but I don't like games that purposely look like shit. I'm really not seeing your point?
the appeal of a nostalgia filter for a game built on nostalgia is not that complicated even if you dont want it