julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's probably a law of nature that you can't go from a high fidelity product and work it into a low fidelity product. That's not the direction things can move in and still be good. Should have been built from zero, though that was probably never an option in the first place.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe we could wait for the final thing to be released and not pass judgement on it from one screenshot.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought I wanted this but looking at that screenshot I don't think i want it anymore.

Also this can't possibly be what they've been working on for the last sixteen months...

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get what they're trying to go for, but that's not it. Doesn't look 64. Just looks bad.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly just looks like they put all of the graphics settings on low and called it a feature.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Too much bloom
Not enough fog.

If I can see 10 feet in front of me, its not an N64 game, dang it!

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
What it should have looked like:

MadeupValuableDeinonychus.gif

tumblr_nnqgunVqoL1rqz5qko4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nnqgunVqoL1rqz5qko1_r1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they should look like that dinosaur and the environment is not blocky enough.
it's literally very low setting lmao

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Yeah haha, pretty disappointing. Doesn't really look like an N64 game. And I was really looking forward to this the whole time! So first the game itself was disappointing, and now they can't even make the 64-bit mode properly?

Sad times to be a classic Rare fan all around.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably a law of nature that you can't go from a high fidelity product and work it into a low fidelity product. That's not the direction things can move in and still be good. Should have been built from zero, though that was probably never an option in the first place.

Pretty much, which is why this mode is a complete waste of time for Playtonic. No one is gonna use it except for a few people who are gonna check it for 5 seconds out of curioisity.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They should have just made it an alt costume for Yooka and laylee. I suspect this was a goal that they didn't realise just how much extra work it would be otherwise.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How I would fix it

Remove the bloom lighting. Go to some kind of flat per vertex lighting with shadows just being blobs.

Swap out the muddy compressed looking textures for pixelated ones don't just compress them and then call it a day. Have an artist actually go back over the compressed texture and recreate it at a low res while maintaining the detail. Basically it looks like the top right now when we are actually looking for the bottom
iYAPrtz.png

Get rid of the grass completely that weird grid pattern looks nothing like it and just clashes with everything.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How I would fix it

Remove the bloom lighting. Go to some kind of flat per vertex lighting with shadows just being blobs.

Swap out the muddy compressed looking textures for pixelated ones don't just compress them and then call it a day. Have an artist actually go back over the compressed texture and recreate it at a low res while maintaining the detail. Basically it looks like the top right now when we are actually looking for the bottom
iYAPrtz.png

Get rid of the grass completely that weird grid pattern looks nothing like it and just clashes with everything.

N64 games rarely had flat shading though, it was usually gouraud shading. Nor did they have pixelated textures, just very blurry low-res ones. But yeah, low-poly models are required here, and the bloom needs to go.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
N64 games rarely had flat shading though, it was usually gouraud shading. Nor did they have pixelated textures, just very blurry low-res ones. But yeah, low-poly models are required here, and the bloom needs to go.

Sure let's go with that I kept trying different combinations of words to figure out the term for the lighting model N64 games usedbut nothing came up that satisfied me glad you got the technical term.

And in what world didn't N64 have pixelated textures? They were low res but they didn't look compressed like that at all some of em were stretched out a bit but that's a markedly different effect than the original screenshot. ex: The pattern on this tree vs the one in the OP image
latest

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure let's go with that I kept trying different combinations of words to figure out the term for the lighting model N64 games usedbut nothing came up that satisfied me glad you got the technical term.

And in what world didn't N64 have pixelated textures? They were low res but they didn't look compressed like that at all some of em were stretched out a bit but that's a markedly different effect than the original screenshot. Detail was low res but didn't exhibit that compressed complete lack of detail ex: The pattern on this tree vs the one in the OP image
latest

When you say "pixelated", I think of PS1-type unfiltered textures, where you can actually see each pixel (well, texel). N64 textures were never like that, as your image shows. They were always filtered, since the N64 had hardware support for that. But they were low-res and blurry.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
When you say "pixelated", I think of PS1-type unfiltered textures, where you can actually see each pixel (well, texel). N64 textures were never like that, as your image shows. They were always filtered, since the N64 had hardware support for that. But they were low-res and blurry.

Alright I understand what you're saying but I think we can both agree what is going on there still looks nothing like textures on the N64.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
So I don't really get what they are even going for here. First I would much rather the game just look like a high resolution N64 game, so still having blurry textures and low polygon models, but running at a high resolution with AA. I'm fond of the style, not the Vaseline filter N64 had. Also the excessive bloom is extremely odd. Just look at this High Rez Banjo Kazooie shot.

hd-banjo-kazooie-click-clock-wood-wallpaper-desktop.jpg

And not only that they literally have a character in their own game that represents the exact style they are going for:

latest
lmao! Yeah what the hell are they doing

Icekeep9

Nov 1, 2017
De-master of a game. I don't see how anyone would want this. People usually want nicer graphics, not more blurry graphics and models to look worse. It not like we have nostalgia for a N64 version of this. I like what Microsoft (Rare) did with Banjo Kazooie and making that game look crisper and nicer on Xbox.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
De-master of a game. I don't see how anyone would want this. People usually want nicer graphics, not more blurry graphics and models to look worse. It not like we have nostalgia for a N64 version of this. I like what Microsoft (Rare) did with Banjo Kazooie and making that game look crisper and nicer on Xbox.

Why wouldn't people want nostalgia for an N64 version? That was one of the stretch goals and it met it extremely quickly (I think it was within the day of it being posted). All Rare did for Banjo was run it in HD; they kept the N64 visuals intact.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering this was always talked about being a shader and nothing more, some of this thread responses about saying this should be entirely redone geometry is kinda weird.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to adhere to the actual limitations of the N64. Many retro-inspired games don't, and it's not like the audience remembers what the games actually looked like (for example, many people call Cosmic Star Heroine SNES/Genesis-styled when the devs admit it's more akin to Saturn).

Point is, no point in being accurate when out memories aren't anyway

Icekeep9

Nov 1, 2017
There's no reason to adhere to the actual limitations of the N64. Many retro-inspired games don't, and it's not like the audience remembers what the games actually looked like (for example, many people call Cosmic Star Heroine SNES/Genesis-styled when the devs admit it's more akin to Saturn).

Point is, no point in being accurate when out memories aren't anyway

This is what I was getting at too. Make it look retro like how shovel knight looks like a NES game, but could never run on a real NES. I think you can make it look kind of N64 retro, but clean it up.

Apr 16, 2018
lmao

out of touch, over-the-hill nonsense. Yup, cuz when I want to play a Rare game, I'm definitely hoping it'll look and sound like games that came out 20 goddamn years ago.

Christ.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Why just why. The Yooka-Laylee fad over the game hailing the return of the glory N64 platforming days is over. Well over.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

out of touch, over-the-hill nonsense. Yup, cuz when I want to play a Rare game, I'm definitely hoping it'll look and sound like games that came out 20 goddamn years ago.

Christ.

The only people out of touch are the ones who keep tripping over themselves to say how much no one wanted this even though it was a Kickstarter stretch goal that fans have been asking about since the game first launched. Personally I bought the Switch version after having beaten it originally on PS4 and have specifically been waiting to do a full replay once the orchestral soundtrack and 64-bit shader get released.