PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
What does people wanting 3D platformers have to do with a low graphics setting filter? I liked N64 3D platformers but I don't like games that purposely look like shit. I'm really not seeing your point?

YL was a kick started game, people actually wanted the N64 graphics, if i recall correctly it was a stretch goal. There was demand for this.

I... don't get it. I don't understand what look they're trying to evoke. It just doesn't look like an N64 game at all.

A true 1:1 N64 filter is impossible without re-modelling and re-rigging the entire game, so they're trying to make the filter look as low poly as possible without the need to redo everything.

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
This is the most dissapointing kickstarter for me ever and this stupid picture is an insult to fans. Playtonic more like Scamtonic

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Other developers should follow suit, say Square with PS1 modes for their games:
giphy.gif

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, man, I dunno. When I try to picture N64 Yooka-Laylee, it's more like this:

qonardc.jpg

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
What on Earth. I'm looking at that picture and I'm trying to figure out how they think that looks like an N64 game. It just looks like a worse version of Yooka Laylee.

Seriously, what's with the bloom?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You all realize it was always going to be a simple filter/shader right? They weren't going to demake the entire game.
It was a stretch goal during the campaign. I'm confused at why people are confused... and it's not that serious. The hyperbole for a bonus shader is a whole new level of overreaction...

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, man, I dunno. When I try to picture N64 Yooka-Laylee, it's more like this:

qonardc.jpg
Accurate draw distance. The original screenshot's draw distance is just too good, and so is the polycount, lighting, and complexity in general. Not angular enough, not simple enough. That's what makes it look PS2.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
You all realize it was always going to be a simple filter/shader right? They weren't going to demake the entire game.
It was a stretch goal during the campaign. I'm confused at why people are confused... and it's not that serious. The hyperbole for a bonus shader is a new level of overreaction.
I'm confused as to why they would try to pass this off as a 64 style demake at all instead of just creating new low poly models for Yooka and Laylee like Ground Zeroes or Odyssey or Snake Pass or ...
It would be less work (an assumption, considering how long this has taken) and look more faithful, something actually worth the effort.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was a stretch goal during the campaign. I'm confused at why people are confused... and it's not that serious. The hyperbole for a bonus shader is a whole new level of overreaction...
But like... even if that was the case, this is a shitty job of making it actually look like an N64 game. I'm sure there are better filters you could do than this.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But like... even if that was the case, this is a shitty job of making it actually look like an N64 game. I'm sure there are better filters you could do than this.
It's not done yet, perhaps they'll look at the criticisms and tweak it, but it'd be better if they hadn't have to read too much vitriol for something so trivial.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Looks more like a PS2/Xbox render than N64 render.
The draw distance, lighting, and even the amount of polygons in the models don't really invoke N64/ PS1 era graphics.

Edit: It's a work in progress so it can improve, but as of now artistically, it doesn't feel much like a 64 bit mode.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
What else do they have to do besides work on the stretch goal that people were promised? Do they have any other games announced or in development?
That's not a reasonable take. Something like this isn't really worth the developers' time regardless of what other projects Playtonic has in the works. It's hardly going to result in more sales of the game. If they aren't working on a new game then they'd probably be better served doing contract work or something, so they can actually get paid. They're doing this because they need to fulfill those stretch goals. It'd be bad PR to renege on them.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What else do they have to do besides work on the stretch goal that people were promised? Do they have any other games announced or in development?
i don't know, you're right that it's the right thing to do it so they can deliver on a promise they made to backers, but it still feels like effort put into something not many would care about (not to mention it doesn't even look like what they promised). i doubt many backers would be angry of they said hey guys, we tried but it doesn't look good so we're not doing it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, they have worked on N64 games, they should see this does not invoke the aestehtics of an N64 game. Definitely much closer to PS2. Shame, I would have liked a low poly N64-style second playthrough of Yooka. To me this looks like lower res textures applied to the same models.
I can't imagine the team going to the lengths of creating simplified, blocky-ass N64-style models to swap in for every asset in the game. That's just insane to think about.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the "looks like a PS2 game filter" comments. Not really the N64 aesthetic that was a Kickstarter goal, unfortunately.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they were able to get closer to the actual look of an N64 game, if they're trying for this. The style option makes perfect sense, but this isn't hitting the mark, at least from that screen.

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know, you're right that it's the right thing to do it so they can deliver on a promise they made to backers, but it still feels like effort put into something not many would care about (not to mention it doesn't even look like what they promised). i doubt many backers would be angry of they said hey guys, we tried but it doesn't look good so we're not doing it.

Ah yes, backers would definitely be really happy if one of the stretch goals isn't delivered because they just couldn't do it, no one would be angry.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
it looks like a ps2 game if said ps2 game was rendered at the lowest settings lmao. Not at all what I had in mind when it came to making it look like an n64 game, shit isnt even blocky.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea, but the execution here is just terrible.

Others have said it, but it looks like a blurry PC game on low settings. If they actually want to capture the feel of an N64 game, they'd actually have to use new models, which'd require a ton of work.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a reasonable take. Something like this isn't really worth the developers' time regardless of what other projects Playtonic has in the works. It's hardly going to result in more sales of the game. If they aren't working on a new game then they'd probably be better served doing contract work or something, so they can actually get paid. They're doing this because they need to fulfill those stretch goals. It'd be bad PR to renege on them.

In any job, if someone is working on a project, and they are accused of wasting time by working on it, "What else are they supposed to be doing" is an absolutely reasonable question to ask. They can't be wasting time if there's nothing else for them to be working on, the very idea suggests they have something else they should be doing instead. So on one hand they have a project they said they would complete, on the other hand we have the mystery of what else they could be doing. That's why I asked what I asked. Do you think they're turning down jobs to finish this filter? Do you think the entire staff of Playtonic are working on this? If the answer to either of those is "Yes" then Playtonic really need to figure some stuff out. Like... I can't imagine more than a couple people are working on this (especially given how long it's taken to come out) right!?

I don't know if you thought I was being smug but I was genuinely asking if they have other projects they're working on. I haven't really kept up with them, been waiting for the physical version of Yooka-Laylee to finally come out on Switch so I can play it -__-

I don't disagree with you! If they have other stuff that's more important or if they're for some inexplicable reason devoting more manpower to this than they need to I'd also suggest trying to find a graceful way to bail on it. Though as PlayBee points out, it would probably create bad PR. Especially if it's like "Hey we're gonna bail on this feature we promised, we have to work on another game, so totally buy that when it comes out! Please trust us!"

But again my question of "What else are they working on?" was genuine, have they announced anything at all? Or for all we know is it literally just finishing the backer goals and then... nothing?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It looks a bit too much like an asset steaming bug tbh. I'd rather they remade everything low poly.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can't imagine the team going to the lengths of creating simplified, blocky-ass N64-style models to swap in for every asset in the game. That's just insane to think about.
They could make lower poly versions of the main characters by hand and lower the poly count on the geometry by interpolation. For the game I make currently, I used Sculptris to make character models and then automatically reduced the polygon number. Automatically reducing polycount works pretty well. The N64 look need not be perfect, but it should at least have some semblance of an N64 game.
Playtonic seems to be synonymous with mediocrity. Yooka-Laylee is a case study of poor and lazy game design:

It doesn't surprise me that they would half-ass this as well.

Disregarding that it was my number two game last year, so I disagree on the quality assessment, I think it is completely unfair to state its game design is lazy.

Oct 25, 2017
As it is, it looks nothing like n64. As others have already noticed, it looks like ps2.

These dudes gotta abuse that blinn shader on literally everything, throw in some flat grey distance fog and completely turn off any form of bloom. And then put a -1 modifier on their LoD system so that every 3d model is one stage lower poly than usual.