Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
God, I fucked up. T_T Not enough practice. I do admire meta players chaining 100-step combos effortlessly.
Edit: Did you change your Fluffal deck up at all? Maybe I am not clicking with my new set yet
Edit 2: Okay... maybe I am too tired for this. Why'd I waste the bunny? T_T;

Last edited:

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
God, I fucked up. T_T Not enough practice. I do admire meta players chaining 100-step combos effortlessly.
Edit: Did you change your Fluffal deck up at all? Maybe I am not clicking with my new set yet
Edit 2: Okay... maybe I am too tired for this. Why'd I waste the bunny? T_T;
You kidding me zeus? !?! You legit brought the big guns.
edit: nope,same deck

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Turnscr3w GGs! Those duels were fun. Showed me some weaknesses in my deck too. I guess I found the ones in your Fluffal deck too, yeah. The Dogmatika one on the other hand... Anyhow, have a good evening!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Biestmann powered up post-tournament

yugioh-pegasus.gif

I am a second rate duelist with a third rate deck now

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Does that Xyz have an invisible Effect?

The card text is bugged. Anytime it would be destroyed, an XYZ material is removed instead. If the removal of the last material happens during the dmg phase, I can XYZ another monster using it as material. Then, if it is the same monster, I can destroy a card.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Sorry, missed the commentary since I was concentrating lol.

That was fun! Gotta go grab dinner but will be back after if people are around.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Jinzo single handedly sent Summoned Skull into retirement.
Immune to all those pesky Trap Holes, Mirror Forces, Torrential Tributes, and stopped that annoying Imperial Order from negating your staple Spell cards.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Almost made it to plat 1 with a single loss then ran into a dino player who chose to go second and opened with Maxx C, ash, gamma, and misc in their opening hand. You literally can't beat that.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I've picked this up after very minimal experience with the base card game, and I've built up a few budget versions of powerful decks that are doing very, very well in the low levels of ranked duel. I've played my share of CCGs (particularly Magic), so I know my way around a rulebook, but there are a lot of specifics about how Yu-Gi-Oh works that I don't really understand, and that the game has made no real effort to explain. It's also very challenging to learn as you play, because all the cards are so text-heavy, often operate in pretty specific ways, and the matches you play can feature cards from an overwhelmingly large pool.

I know the rules well enough to succeed most of the time after learning a few things the hard way, but my main question is about this game's equivalent of the Magic "stack", the "chain" system. How does it work?
  1. What distinguishes an effect that can be responded to from one that cannot be responded to? If a card's effect uses resources in its description prior to a colon or semicolon, those resources are used before any player can respond, correct?
  2. When does the ability to respond to a chain pass from one player to another?
  3. Am I correct that I can only use traps, quick-play spells, and quick effects to respond to an activation?
  4. Are there situations where, if I am holding a Maxx-C in hand, someone can Special Summon without me being able to respond and draw a card off of that summon?
  5. If multiple effects automatically trigger during a phase (for instance, I have a Sky Strikers deck: Shizuku and Mecha Modules Multirole can both trigger in my End Phase), is there any way for me to order them?
I wish more of this information were available in a form besides trial and error, because it seems like you need to understand how many of these things work to properly time your counters to powerful decks.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I've picked this up after very minimal experience with the base card game, and I've built up a few budget versions of powerful decks that are doing very, very well in the low levels of ranked duel. I've played my share of CCGs (particularly Magic), so I know my way around a rulebook, but there are a lot of specifics about how Yu-Gi-Oh works that I don't really understand, and that the game has made no real effort to explain. It's also very challenging to learn as you play, because all the cards are so text-heavy, often operate in pretty specific ways, and the matches you play can feature cards from an overwhelmingly large pool.

I know the rules well enough to succeed most of the time after learning a few things the hard way, but my main question is about this game's equivalent of the Magic "stack", the "chain" system. How does it work?
  1. What distinguishes an effect that can be responded to from one that cannot be responded to? If a card's effect uses resources in its description prior to a colon or semicolon, those resources are used before any player can respond, correct?
  3. Am I correct that I can only use traps, quick-play spells, and quick effects to respond to an activation?
  4. Are there situations where, if I am holding a Maxx-C in hand, someone can Special Summon without me being able to respond and draw a card off of that summon?
  5. If multiple effects automatically trigger during a phase (for instance, I have a Sky Strikers deck: Shizuku and Mecha Modules Multirole can both trigger in my End Phase), is there any way for me to order them?
I wish more of this information were available in a form besides trial and error, because it seems like you need to understand how many of these things work to properly time your counters to powerful decks.
There's basically three levels of spell/trap speed: 1, 2, and 3.

Speed 1 is normal spell cards, this is the slowest speed and cards of this speed cannot respond to anything.
Speed 2 is quick-play spells and normal traps, this speed can respond to speed 1 cards and speed 2 cards.
Speed 3 is just counter-traps. These cards are at the top and can respond to anything and cannot be responded to except by other counter-traps.

There's also a tier of cards that cannot be responded to by anything, but those literally say this on the card.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Spell Speed is explained above.

1) Cost effects are applied to activate cards and cannot be negated, the effect of the card itself can be negated after costs are paid.
2) If you have a card with a high enough spell speed, you should be able to chain to another card effect as long as conditions are met. You can even chain to your own card effects.
3) Yes since those are classified as Spell Speed 2, however if the effect is from a Counter Trap, which is Spell Speed 3, you can only respond with another Counter Trap. Some cards also cannot be reacted to, like Super Polymerization, or Acesscode Talker's Effects.
4) If you activated Maxx-C, the opponent can chain to it and Special Summon with something like Call of the Haunted. Since chains resolve in reverse order, so Call of the Haunded will Special Summon a monster first, then the Effect of Maxx-C will apply but you will not draw a card since the monster was summoned before the effect applied.
5) Since they are both optional Effects, you should be able to choose in which order to activate them during the End Phase.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

1. Correct. Everything before the semi-colon is a cost, which is paid at the time of activation. Interestingly this can have interesting interactions with stuff like Skill Drain, as if a card tributes itself for an ability it's effect will still go off despite Skill Drain being active.

2. When you activate an effect you pass priority to the other player. One thing to keep in mind is that summoning a monster doesn't pass priority unless you're responding with a summon negation. This means that if someone summons a monster with an ignition effect and their opponent activates Bottomless Trap Hole, then the turn player gets to activate their effect and Bottomless goes on Chain Link 2.

3. Correct!
(edit: Counter traps are the only exemption, nothing can respond to a counter trap except another counter trap)
(edit 2: this is also why monster trigger effects can fuck up and miss timings; they can't be added to a chain since they're spell speed 1, so if they would be activated mid-chain or as a cost and the wording says "When X happens" instead of "If X happens, then they don't get to activate)

4. Yes. If a special summon is inherent (that is to say, summoned with it's own effect, not the effect of another card) then it doesn't pass priority and doesn't start a chain. This includes Xyz, Synchro, and Pendulum Summoned monsters, but does NOT include Fusion and Ritual Summoned monsters)

5. Yes. But I don't know how the game handles it mechanically. I would assume they activate in the order of selection on a chain but I haven't been paying enough attention during Master Duel games.

Last edited:

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I've played a bunch of Sky Strikers and the Shizuku/Multirole interaction is either bugged or the MD rules logic doesn't let you choose the effect activation order.

If you've cast any Sky Striker spells while Multirole is out, its effect will always trigger before Shizuku in this game. You can still do the Shizuku Shuffle by not casting any Striker spells until the end phase, which will force Shizuku's trigger to happen first, but that's pretty dire for a deck focused on spell cards.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of which here's something I was wondering...

If a dude activates Raigeki, and I activate a monster's quick effect to special summon another monster with a quick effect, could I then activate the newly special Summoned monster's quick effect? Or would that have to be on a new chain?