• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it's better to contact staff if you see someone off-site making fun of members here. Rather than posting publicly I mean.

Publicly posting about someone on another site because they publicly posted off-site about someone here sounds like contradictory behaviour.

QFT. I mean, imagine a situation where someone on Era is posting about someone else, and then they face consequences elsewhere for it. I mean, it's up to you what you think is the best stance to take in this situation, but if you think a rule applies, it must apply unconditionally.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I want to clear up something.

We take not only doxing seriously, but harassment too. Our job is not to police the entire internet, but if we see a ResetEra user going off-site to harass another user on racist, transphobic, or sexist basis, we absolutely will take action.

We have a diverse group of moderators here: different genders, different ethnicities, and scattered all across the globe. Rest assured, we are in the interest of protecting minorities and users here. Anything otherwise is nonsense.

If we see evidence of users going off-site for the purpose of that kind of harassment, they will be banned. Period. We take a hardline stance on such actions.

Thanks.
To add to Nicole's post: if you want to report such a user on ERA, please provide us with ironclad evidence that they are the same person doing the harassment/etc. off-site. We have enough on our plate already and can't be doing detective work for other communities. Thanks.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, that's a pretty unrealistic scenario. The way forums work, it's not possible to moderate every single user's post on the forum as is. Having to then manage who posts what on other sites is a bigger problem. Now you have to be sure that:

• It's the same user on your forum that you are monitoring elsewhere
  • They are posting in good faith
  • They are actively harming users on your platform by contributing on another platform
In fact, as I was typing those bullet points, I realised that you could be using your account to collect personal information from users due to the permissions you have (like being able to see hidden content). However, that would be breaking the site's ToS, so you become liable to the site's rules in that instance. I feel that there are already precautions in place, and that you should trust the mod/admin team to handle it. Blacklisting users on other sites isn't the way to go however. There are too many grey areas when you take that stance.

Right, which is where the vetting comes in. Moderators won't check every person that signs up, but if it's brought to their attention that there are fuckers posting in bad faith and then going off site to harass a person, then I imagine they'll vet the information and then take action accordingly.

As far as the permissions thing, realistically unless you lock down the forum completely, it's not gonna happen. Someone could create an account, and either choose not to post, or just post the most neutral things to never get caught, and they could 'get' info that way. You're never going to be able to stop that outside of completely locking down the forum and not allowing anyone to join.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
To add to Nicole's post: if you want to report such a user on ERA, please provide us with ironclad evidence that they are the same person doing the harassment/etc. off-site. We have enough on our plate already and can't be doing detective work for other communities. Thanks.
What would you consider ironclad evidence?

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Right, which is where the vetting comes in. Moderators won't check every person that signs up, but if it's brought to their attention that there are fuckers posting in bad faith and then going off site to harass a person, then I imagine they'll vet the information and then take action accordingly.

As far as the permissions thing, realistically unless you lock down the forum completely, it's gonna happen. Someone could create an account, and either choose not to post, or just post the most neutral things to never get caught, and they could 'get' info that way. You're never going to be able to stop that outside of completely locking down the forum and not allowing anyone to join.

I agree, and to add to that point (don't know if you saw this post):

Rum Diet

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did I say someone needs banning right this moment? I'm establishing that dickbags get kicked for being dickbags to our posters no matter where they choose to be dickbags. I want it on record by staff as an established stance. So that when dickbags choose to play a game of 'I'm not touching you' they get got.

And to that end, thank you SweetNicole
So everyone is a dickbag now huh? ok, got it. Please stop trolling.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, and to add to that point (don't know if you saw this post):

I did. I completely agree because it's unfeasible for mods to scour the dirges of the web that we call home in order to find the history of every user that has joined. But if it's something blatant, and they're stupid enough to out themselves, then they'll be found. If they're a shitbag, sooner or later they'll slip on here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
No no no no, hold on a second:

'Insulting a member' should be at least a 24 hour ban judging by previous bans I've seen on this forum.

If you legitimately think I insulted someone, I best not be able to access this site for a day.

If, instead, you know you're being played and are just trying to quiet down the fighting? I want that warning gone.

Because I don't think y'all aren't able to see what's happening. Especially since I told you it was happening two or three pages ago.

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Did I say someone needs banning right this moment? I'm establishing that dickbags get kicked for being dickbags to our posters no matter where they choose to be dickbags. I want it on record by staff as an established stance. So that when dickbags choose to play a game of 'I'm not touching you' they get got.

And to that end, thank you SweetNicole

I don't think this is a fair post, and you want the moderators to bend to your whims? Can't you make a request nicely?

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's happening? People defending themselves for the crime of using another website?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's happening? People defending themselves for the crime of using another website?
I really hope that is not what is implied. But I don't read the moderator comments like that.

To be honest, I read the moderators comments as "Arggh, moderating one site is hard enough!" lol

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm guessing a screenshot and link to someone with the same username as here making fun of other people here off-site should be enough

And again, better to contact a mod privately with such proof over posting publicly about it here. This makes sense to me.

Now I think I will withdraw from this thread. This kind of drama exhausts me

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a screenshot and link to someone with the same username as here making fun of other people here off-site should be enough
So someone impersonating hydrophilic attack on another site making fun of someone here, lets say Dennis8K, should get you banned? Is that what you are suggesting?

That seems like a disaster and completely unworkable.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
I want to clear up something.

We take not only doxing seriously, but harassment too. Our job is not to police the entire internet, but if we see a ResetEra user going off-site to harass another user on racist, transphobic, or sexist basis, we absolutely will take action.

We have a diverse group of moderators here: different genders, different ethnicities, and scattered all across the globe. Rest assured, we are in the interest of protecting minorities and users here. Anything otherwise is nonsense.

If we see evidence of users going off-site for the purpose of that kind of harassment, they will be banned. Period. We take a hardline stance on such actions.

Thanks.
Perfect, thanks for clearing that up!

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you be sure it's the same person, even if it's the same username? Honestly, as long as someone isn't being racist, sexist, etc it's not worth the time to care if someone made fun of a post you (speaking generally) made.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Honestly, as long as someone isn't being racist, sexist, etc it's not worth the time to care if someone made fun of a post you (speaking generally) made

Yeah, I mean, it should only be for behaviour that wouldn't have been tolerated here.

Still, like you and Dennis said, I'm not sure how you would know that someone is who they say they are.

Goddamnit, I said I would be out of this thread. I'm glad I'm not a mod myself and don't have to deal with this shit

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that is a good point :/

You could check account creation date, post number, account life, etc...

if a hydrophilic attack on VOAT is posting racist stuff about Reset users, with 3 posts, created on November 3rd 2017... probably isn't you.

if a hydrophilic attack on VOAT is doing that but has like 4560 posts, and created March 15 2016.... might very well be you.

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. What did you hope to gain from asking that question? Nobody other than 'that guy' (who you couldn't even be arsed to specify) can answer. and 'that guy' isn't going to answer with something you'll accept. So... why did you ask something you're surely intelligent enough to know was fruitless?
So he could explain his post? To point out how absurd it is? Do you not think that post is absurd?

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You could check account creation date, post number, account life, etc...

You will only catch amateur trolling that way. There are people who literally act as if they make a living off trolling other people and have tactics in place to prevent being caught. They are the people you would need to worry about as they are hard to police. The best thing you can do is focus on the space where you do have control and hope that they slip up. Or better yet, they assimilate and learn how to function and contribute positively to your forum.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
24h ban - Please do not use inflammatory language and personal insults.
The Bore is a great community and largely supports this place. I've posted there since its inception. It's never been a site that harasses outside posters or peddles alt-right shit. It's a forum of banter, and frankly if you can't handle banter as a grown person on the internet you lost.

Besada can kiss my ass btw.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The Bore is a great community and largely supports this place. I've posted there since its inception. It's never been a site that harasses outside posters or peddles alt-right shit. It's a forum of banter, and frankly if you can't handle banter as a grown person on the internet you lost.

Baesda can kiss my dick btw.
Closing the originally positive post with such a needless insult kinda kills every point you made before that :/

edit: Well, then.

Last edited:

corn93

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You will only catch amateur trolling that way. There are people who literally act as if they make a living off trolling other people and have tactics in place to prevent being caught. They are the people you would need to worry about as they are hard to police. The best thing you can do is focus on the space where you do have control and hope that they slip up. Or better yet, they assimilate and learn how to function and contribute positively to your forum.

I agree.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The specifics of that are beyond the scope of this discussion. All we want is to avoid wasting moderator's time with baseless accusations and forcing them to do the legwork. Surely you can understand that.
I understand Morrigan.

My posts in this thread are not to throw shit at the mod team, or to try and hurt the legitimacy of this site. I wanted this place as much as anyone.

I am gravely concerned about this thread though. It is clear to me and others that the olive branch given to the bore was not taken in good faith and that the users from there are attempting to worm their way into a community that they have despised and mocked for years.

I just want people to feel safe here.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I understand Morrigan.

My posts in this thread are not to throw shit at the mod team, or to try and hurt the legitimacy of this site. I wanted this place as much as anyone.

I am gravely concerned about this thread though. It is clear to me and others that the olive branch given to the bore was not taken in good faith and that the users from there are attempting to worm their way into a community that they have despised and mockes for years.

I'm unsure what you're concerned about because there's been very little to be concerned about in this thread. Any examples of bore users not posting in good faith? or is that a currently baseless claim?

I see a user above was banned for comments they made, are you still concerned?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand Morrigan.

I am gravely concerned about this thread though. It is clear to me and others that the olive branch given to the bore was not taken in good faith and that the users from there are attempting to worm their way into a community that they have despised and mockes for years.

ResetEra has not existed for years. You must be thinking of the old site that ResetEra was created to get away from.

Oct 26, 2017
I understand Morrigan.

Where are your concerns coming from? We extended olive branch. Reset extended olive branch. We have no beef. Besada started all of this drama. Why are your problems not with him and after he claimed that Reset staff does not care for their users safety? He's started all of this. Bore and Reset are cool.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand Morrigan.

At this point, we can't really thought police? I had users I disliked at GAF, I made those thoughts known to other users I've talked with offsite, but that doesn't meant I went and harassed those people on the site.

There's only so much you can do outside of closing everything up.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it does any good to pretend that there's not a part of the bore dedicated to the mocking and harassment of former Gaf and certain posters.

Several people from there and Gaf who have personal, often unfounded hatred of specific community members are here as well, many brazen enough to use the same user names and pretending to play nice so far so sure, water under the bridge for now but don't think no one knows lol

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just saying the status between our two forums is cool. We have no ill will or any hate aimed at Reset. All we have done here is defend ourselves against claims that we will make users of Reset unsafe, which is not only reasonable but also fair. Thankfully, Reset Era's staff is allowing us free discourse to allow self defense.

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is it really all that difficult to get along on an internet message board? Is it? Because I don't think that it should be.

People are acting in this thread like it's West Side Story with the Jets (the Bore) versus the Sharks (ResetEra). Stop trying to make this a thing. Do we need to clear out some space so we can all dance around in a circle snapping our fingers at each other in order for all of you to get it out of your system?

This is not an us versus them type scenario. The Bore is not some homogeneous entity and neither is ResetEra. You have individual people that post on one, individual people that post on the other, and,sometimes, just sometimes, you may even have people that post on both.

People with Bore accounts who sign up for ResetEra are expected to abide by our rules. People who sign up for ResetEra without Bore accounts are also expected to abide by our rules. As long as everyone with a ResetEra account abides by our rules, they are welcome to post here. Full. Stop.

Honestly, we shouldn't even need to have a terms of service or a FAQ talking about the behavior that's acceptable here. It all starts and stops with not being jerks to each other. In the words of the world's greatest prophets, past, present or future, just:

nKjvUAm.jpg

I'm going to review the bans in this thread and extend amnesty where the users previously had no bans and they were banned for getting heated.

Last edited:

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Now that our policies and priorities have been made absolutely crystal clear, we feel that this subject has run its course. We're going to leave the thread open for now, but please steer clear of any discussion about other forums or former moderators of other forums. Our mods will enforce this.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Still waiting for that one moment where I can rightfully complain about a single moderation issue. You guys are doing a damn fine job.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really all that difficult to get along on an internet message board? Is it? Because I don't think that it should be.

People are acting in this thread like it's West Side Story with the Jets (the Bore) versus the Sharks (ResetEra). Stop trying to make this a thing. Do we need to clear out some space so we can all dance around in a circle snapping our fingers at each other in order for all of you to get it out of your system?

This is not an us versus them type scenario. The Bore is not some homogeneous entity and neither is ResetEra. You have individual people that post on one, individual people that post on the other, and,sometimes, just sometimes, you may even have people that post on both.

People with Bore accounts who sign up for ResetEra are expected to abide by our rules. People who sign up for ResetEra without Bore accounts are also expected to abide by our rules. As long as everyone with a ResetEra account abides by our rules, they are welcome to post here. Full. Stop.

Honestly, we shouldn't even need to have a terms of service or a FAQ talking about the behavior that's acceptable here. It all starts and stops with not being jerks to each other. In the words of the world's greatest prophets, past, present or future, just:

nKjvUAm.jpg

I'm going to review the bans in this thread and extend amnesty where the users previously had no bans and they were banned for getting heated.

Well said Rowlf! You certainly rock as an admin! :D

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I have the utmost respect for the mod/admin team here. You guys have navigated the obstacles inherent to the move exceptionally well and earned the good will of this community. Thank you.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as the position is you guys know but don't care, not that you don't know, then I guess you're prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.