• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a word for subscription fatigue? I'm starting to have a horror for them. Gaming subscriptions, media subs... the two supermarket chains here have fucking monthly subs now too. The capitalists really love squeezing us with subscriptions for everything, constant charges and no ownership, and still they have to pack them with ads. I've really had enough.

whats the sub get you? cart usage? fast pass at the checkout?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my prime quite a while ago and honestly haven't looked back, don't even miss shipping as was trying to avoid that for emissions purposes as well. Less streaming services the better, and Amazon is a shitty company to it's workforce

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
what the, how do you afford Netflix, Apple TV, HBO, Prime Video, Disney+ lol

Aug 1, 2018
There are no details about how big the ad load will be, with Amazon saying that commercials will be "limited" and the goal is "to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers."

My mind immediately goes to the never ending flood of ads on Twitch

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
whats the sub get you? cart usage? fast pass at the checkout?
10% discount on one shop a month but capped to an upper limit, 2Xloyalty points, occasional free samples; shit like that. They cost about $10/month. I've never used one, just thinking about it makes me tired. (I thought they included a delivery service but nope, haha. That one costs $20/month but only for orders over $50).

Last edited:

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a SmartTube equivalent for Prime Video?

All the ads on YouTube are brutal, but loading SmartTube onto my Chromecast saved the day.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
you pay for cable and still get ads. Its shit but they'll scrape the money from under your fingernails somehow.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, this is incredibly annoying. I've actually watched quite a bit of content on Prime over the years, especially a few years ago when they signed a deal with HBO for a lot of their classic shows. But Mrs. Maisel, Bosch, The Boys, Jack Reacher, Vox Machina and others, I felt it was a decent addition to Prime (which I mainly had for the shipping). And I actually think their TNF broadcast is extremely well done, it's probably my favorite way to watch NFL right now.

But now it regularly takes 4 or 5 days to get items, sometimes an entire week. And that's after they've continually raised the price. I just don't know if it's worth it anymore.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I'll keep my prime sub for the orders but I'm not paying extra for no ads. I don't watch football. Maybe it's worth it for football fans? I hear they spent billions on that?

I almost never watch prime except for The Boys, Wheel of Time and invincible anyways. Their LOTR show was more bust than hit, and it was absolutely a bust if they paid 500 million for one season or whatever crazy amount I saw bandied about here. What a fucking waste of cash, Damn!

Wheel of time is a "pretty good" at best. It could've been better. Much better. Just facts. As it is, it's B- at best.

Either I will put up with the ads, or I won't watch amazon prime shows.

Another option is to pay them 3 bucks once a year to binge watch 3 or 4 shows and that's that. I'm not giving amazon an extra $36/year.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
We dropped Prime over five years ago and 100% haven't missed it. Feels better shopping at smaller vendors when possible, too. This is another reason to say no to Prime.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
This will make me stop paying for prime. I don't think I order enough to justify it anyway, but Prime Video isn't good enough to put up with ads or pay more to watch.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
10% discount on one shop a month but capped to an upper limit, 2Xloyalty points, occasional free samples; shit like that. They cost about $10/month. I've never used one, just thinking about it makes me tired. (I thought they included a delivery service but nope, haha. That one costs $20/month but only for orders over $50).
ha. sounds lame!

Walmart Canada charges $9/month or $89/year for next-day delivery at your chosen time slot for grocery orders over $35. The regular delivery fee is $8 per order for non-subscribers.
hm. wild.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
what does shipping cost regularly, without prime? i read that all customers get free shipping for 4-5 day delivery? is that true? the only benefit of prime is 2 day instead of 4?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
They can almost never get a package to me in 2 days and adding commercials to shows. Terrible value for the money these days.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
How much you wanna bet the ads will be pristine quality with no macroblocking, as is Prime's quality

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
The last time I had a Prime account was about a decade ago. If I still had one, this would be enough to get me to drop the service. Fuck this ad extortion shit.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I buy things online pretty exclusively at Amazon and same or next day shipping can be important in some cases. So the prime cost is sunk into shipping for me. Still, for those that pay yearly mostly for the video, this seems like a slap in the face. Especially when they raised the cost from like $80 to $140 a year just recently. Paying $176/year just to not be forced to view ads is bullshit. Streaming subs were paid to get shows and films ad-free, and now it's all coming back around to ads now that everyone has been woo'ed away from cable, because of greed.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
The simple truth is that they'll keep increasing prices as long as people keep paying. Up to ya'll to make a change 🤷‍♀️

Apr 27, 2020
Boy oh boy...

zack-fair-zack-fair-remake.gif

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Non-stop ad bombardment is such a plague of our times. It just encroaches more and more into everything & anything.

Ontario is currently packed with sports gambling ads everywhere you look, it's so disgusting.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man they must be so dire financially with no new content coming out with the strikes… poor Amazon…

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It is time to introduce a tier that is just the free shipping without an Amazon Prime video option.

Haha, and give people what they want at a fair and reasonable price?! Good Resetera poster, it appears that you are not polishing the shoes of corporations enough! You should have a word with the Resetera Streaming Service Price/Policy Defense Brigade.

Dec 30, 2020
They still going to show ads anyway when you're trying to watch a movie and they decide to jam in a trailer for some unrelated crap?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Strongly thinking of cancelling. I only order stuff a few times a year anyway, and there's like one or two things I actually watch on there. They get good movies from time to time but idk if it's worth it.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's more on there than just LotR and The Boys. A lot of it doesn't get any traction here and other places but it's good stuff

The Wheel of Time
Reacher
The Terminal List
The Peripheral (canceled, sadly)
Outer Range
Deadloch

I'm missing a bunch but I agree with the general sentiment… there's not enough on there. It's more than Disney+ but not close to Netflix and Max. I prob wouldn't be subbed if not for Prime shipping.
Peripheral has been cancelled? 😞

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Just another reason not to renew, then.

Truth be told outside of the 1-3 shows we actually watch on Prime (and once we finish off Maisel that'll be one less) the best thing about Prime was the selection of B-Movies. However Tubi has taken that title. Yeah Tubi has ads but I can watch for free so I can live with that.

Don't buy much off Amazon, and pretty much never buy anything that actually needs rush delivery, and was already planning to let sub end, so just another motivator here.

After that probably just add Prime into the "Take the cheap subscription deal once a year and burn through all the shows I'm interested in" rotation, at least until some bean counter gets the great idea to limit how many episodes you can watch in a timeframe, or put season finales behind additional walls, or whatever else.

The way things are only Netflix and Max provide enough to justify continuous subs.

DeciderVT

Oct 27, 2017
Suppose I'll just subscribe to the BFI Player directly instead. Prime Video is a bonus I can do without, virtually everything I want to watch on there is locked behind secondary subscriptions anyway. I'll just have to wean myself off their delivery service.

Nov 7, 2017
Amazon continuing down the path of making me wonder why I pay for Prime. Prime used to be two day shipping, then they loaded up on all this other garbage, raised prices, and are worsening service overall. It's mind boggling.

Same.
With shopping on prime very few things outside of major/popular items are two-day. Specialty items can take longer.
I used to take the digital credits for lumping deliveries but screw that now. I've been slowly getting more products directly from vendors or other sites I'm so sick of prime.

Video used to be passable but the latest update isn't just horrible from a UI perspective (shifting content boxes on click) it also pushes paid extra channels and buy and rent heavily.

The overall prime experience keeps getting worse. I purposedly avoid sponsored ads but it can be half a page depending on the product. Flat out greed

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
what does shipping cost regularly, without prime? i read that all customers get free shipping for 4-5 day delivery? is that true? the only benefit of prime is 2 day instead of 4?
The benefit of Prime shipping is no order minimum. You can buy a two dollar pen and get it shipped for free.

The promise of Prime used to be free two-day shipping, but shipping times with Prime have crept up and up. It's still generally a little faster than "Super Saver" shipping, but not by much — maybe you get it in four days instead of five.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
well then, I guess i will just have ads for Wheel of Time, the Boys and whatever else I watch on Prime.

I do wonder if this will bleed into the Amazon kids stuff, my kids use their tablets with Amazon kids to watch tons of stuff (like super wings, Classic Thomas and Friends)

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Can you just cut prime video? I don't even watch their shitty service. I only buy stuff with prime

Nope, this is the new cable bundling. If you want stuff delivered you must now pay for music, sport, photos, shitty movies from 1974 and new TV series no-one asked for.

See the way Netflix won't give you video in a resolution from this century without buying 15 simultaneous screens you can only use in one room or whatever their current wheeze is.

And yet he's still verified...