Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever bought anything advertised on a TV ad that you never even considered until you saw the TV ad?

I can't remember any instance in my life where an ad influenced me to buy anything I wasn't already going to buy, or influenced me to buy something I wasn't considering buying.

Ads seem more like a flex for investors at times, and less a chance to grab more consumers.
Idk. We've had threads on here where people ask what products they bought from instagram or podcast ads and plenty of people chimed in. ads work better than you'd imagine

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Prime Video is my least-used streaming service, and also my least-liked, because of its shitty UI. The primary reason I have a Prime subscription is faster shipping. But I can't even remember the last time I needed something really quick, so fuck it. I just cancelled my subscription.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So if I pay this will it disable commercials on the Thursday Night Football games?

Oh, no?

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
The even worse thing is the cheap knockoffs from China that get sold under new accounts that are just……..shitty knockoff items. Plus they don't guarantee release day delivery, and now ducking ads during shows??

Pretty sure I'm gonna cancel……and use my moms account lol

Doublethink

Oct 27, 2017
Can I just get a cheaper version of Prime without Prime Video or Music or Kindle Unlimited? I know it won't happen but it would be nice.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Streaming was supposed to be the best alternative in a post-cable world… this shit fucking sucks.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
This is bullshit, for as much as I pay for prime I should have ad free TV. They did the same thing with the prime music plus bullshit.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Geez, these companies are just going to ruin their own sub models. In the last year I've gone from paying for HBO, Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+ and Prime to next year paying for Paramount+ and Disney+.

I can't be the only one.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, this is the new cable bundling. If you want stuff delivered you must now pay for music, sport, photos, shitty movies from 1974 and new TV series no-one asked for.

See the way Netflix won't give you video in a resolution from this century without buying 15 simultaneous screens you can only use in one room or whatever their current wheeze is.

And yet he's still verified...

Musk is paying for it along with many other famous people who refused to pay. That tells you a lot about Muskrat.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Prime Video peaked for me from 2016 to 2018 when they were buying up movies from people like Spike Lee, Whit Stillman, Nicholas Winding Refin, Todd Solondz, Jim Jarmusch, Park Chan-Wook and Kenneth Lonergan while also having first run A24 releases and had shows like Fleabag, Patriot, The Romanoffs and Transparent. It's really gone downhill since then.

Agree 100%. Excellent programming. Todd's Weiner-Dog was dynamite (Spike's Chi-Raq, less so, but at least he got paid nicely.)

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Ads pay the bills.

Everyone laughed at Musk for pissing off advertisers and wrecking Twitter's business model. And that is just shitty in line text ads. Amazon not running ads during TNF is just throwing money away.

Geez, these companies are just going to ruin their own sub models. In the last year I've gone from paying for HBO, Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+ and Prime to next year paying for Paramount+ and Disney+.

I can't be the only one.

You might want to look into those models. They were losing BILLIONS on the sub model. Maybe Netflix can survive with no ads like HBO managed to when all the cable channels brought in ads.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
You might want to look into those models. They were losing BILLIONS on the sub model. Maybe Netflix can survive with no ads like HBO managed to when all the cable channels brought in ads.

Assuming this information is true, losing half your install base devalues your ads and decreases revenue from said ads. At a certain point losing subscriptions in favor of ad money won't balance out either. Just look at network TV, cable is down so much that ad revenue on channels is tanking causing networks to greenlight less and less shows, leading to additional cable cancelations etc.

I just don't see increasing prices over and over for these stream companies being the answer. These CEOs and boards are just looking at immediate cash flow with very little regard to long term business, which funny enough is how they found themselves in this situation to begin.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I guess I can't be too surprised. They moved a ton of the content they had on Prime behind the ad-supported Freevee banner, and then made it almost indistinguishable from Prime video in searches. Plus this is the same company that tried to put their anime behind an additional paywall until that blew up in their face.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this information is true, losing half your install base devalues your ads and decreases revenue from said ads. At a certain point losing subscriptions in favor of ad money won't balance out either. Just look at network TV, cable is down so much that ad revenue on channels is tanking causing networks to greenlight less and less shows, leading to additional cable cancelations etc.

I just don't see increasing prices over and over for these stream companies being the answer. These CEOs and boards are just looking at immediate cash flow with very little regard to long term business, which funny enough is how they found themselves in this situation to begin.

maybe the thing to do for most of these services is to remove the upfront fee entirely. Peacock is NBC, Paramount is CBS. People don't pay for those channels.

I think Amazon is doing this because they have seen the success of FreeVee and how many views and revenue those shows bring in vs how much Prime is bringing specifically for streaming. I think very few people would say they have prime primarily for streaming.

Running ads next to shows should allow Prime to bring more shows and movies onto the service since they will be more self sustaining.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone happen to know if canceling annual membership gets refunded unused months? I'm only seeing option to cancel at renewal date.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I just want Prime shipping and nothing else. Amazon knows this which is why they don't offer it. I'm canceling. Fuck it.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't work that way. You paid for a year so if you cancel it just doesn't refund next year.

If anyone was wondering, I online chatted with CS and they were able to refund me unused days so I got about 90% back from annual fee.

On another note, yea I rarely buy anything from amazon these days and most of the time I ended up renting the movie.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
If anyone was wondering, I online chatted with CS and they were able to refund me unused days so I got about 90% back from annual fee.

On another note, yea I rarely buy anything from amazon these days and most of the time I ended up renting the movie.

Hmm that is weird, my gf tried to refund hers when we moved in together and they said no. Might be because you had just renewed recently? Hers was over half done already.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I have accepted that ads are back and here to stay. I'm not sure what caused this seismic shift. Streaming prices have shot up, but why? We've cancelled the majority of our streaming services and set one to ad tier. Only Netflix will be ad free. I canceled Spotify as well. I tell myself it's like it was growing up. Maybe that ad induced nostalgia factor will help.

P.S Looking forward to the Halloween commercials.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My wife and I have accepted that ads are back and here to stay. I'm not sure what caused this seismic shift. Streaming prices have shot up, but why? We've cancelled the majority of our streaming services and set one to ad tier. Only Netflix will be ad free. I canceled Spotify as well. I tell myself it's like it was growing up. Maybe that ad induced nostalgia factor will help.

P.S Looking forward to the Halloween commercials.

Why are prices rising and/or ads becoming prevalant? Because they were and are spending boatloads of money on a hope and a prayer that it would somehow become profitable.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I barely even buy enough stuff on Amazon anymore to justify my prime subscription. I may as well cancel it, especially if they're gonna start charging me $3 more to forego the ads. Pretty frustrating all around.

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
🤣 🤣 🤣
My sports media professor was so right about this 10 years ago. You pay for 3 of these services and you're almost paying for basic cable. It was cool when services were no more than 5 bucks but now it's ridiculous.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
First they up the price from 69.99 to 89.99€ a year for prime. Now I will have to pay extra because ads will be introduced to my sub? Of fucking course.

WOW(Former Sky Ticket) also not too long ago randomly introduced a Premium sub on top of the movie and tv subs. Meaning stuff that was included now got moved to the new additional tier that is like 5€ extra a month. It includes 1080p and ad free viewing, wtf.

I canceled the stupid premium tier immediately. Gonna have to watch in 720p with ads now I guess.

Every service just milking the customers for everything they can now.

May 24, 2021
Yeah, no shot. Easy cancel.

EDIT: Oh shit, I actually got a partial refund too. Well, that's cool at least. Still not paying extra to avoid ads.

Last edited: