Oct 27, 2017
Getting sick and tired of streaming/subscription services.

Constant price hikes, removing user friendly features and ads. It's beyond fucking ridiculous.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
With Prime now cancelled, I don't have a subscription to anything and it kinda feels good.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
It's really shaping up to be the year of subscription cutting in our household. We just can't afford the squeeze anymore šŸ˜£ I'm just so burned out at this point

Same, I keep Disney+ until I can't share it anymore and Paramount+ for Star Trek and I really don't need anything else lol.

If I get really desperate to watch a show I'll pick up a month and binge everything lol. But the days of keeping subs for a whole year are done.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
Prime was the last TV/film subscription. Paid annually, mostly for the delivery, but this is the last straw.

I guess the best outcome from this is I won't be shopping on Amazon as much anymore.

Only got Spotify left. Seriously considering dropping that too - I'm sick of opening the app and getting podcasts shoved down my throat.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The right way to do this would have been to offer a lower tier that was cheaper but ad supported.

But nobody pays for Prime Video separately, do they? I didn't even know it was an option until like a year or so ago. I would think you need some level of critical mass to have a thriving ad network as well.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
But nobody pays for Prime Video separately, do they? I didn't even know it was an option until like a year or so ago. I would think you need some level of critical mass to have a thriving ad network as well.

I do but that's only because I don't shop on Amazon often these days as it's just full of cheap knock off and it's a nightmare finding the actual products I want that, so when I want to watch a show on prime (which is rare) I'll just sub for a month of prime video for cheaper and watch it and cancel. Ā£5.99 a month for prime video was better for me than paying extra for stuff I didn't need, obviously that's not a common case though and I'm sure most don't do it that way.

Krash

Oct 27, 2017
I've been weaning myself off Amazon for a while, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I cancelled my Prime membership.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
Is it too much of a hot take to say that streaming services were an unsustainable lie?Not the big miraculous answer to cable?

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Yeah, I'm just unsubbing of about everything now, it's just insane: constant price hikes, no more account sharing and now ads. No way man, it's too much, that's it for me, I don't really use these services enough to justify all the constant hassle.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
This year I've cancelled Hulu, Netflix, Disney Plus, PSN and it looks like Amazon Prime is next. Fuck all of this shit.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Just love that instead of competing with other platforms for to provide better services, cheaper prices and innovative products, they have unilaterally conspired with their competitors to gouge the customer instead.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
soon, all the streaming services will have ads, no option to turn them off

and you'll be able to get the top 5 streamers all together, as a package, for one larger, monthly fee

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I cancelled Prime and Netflix this year and it honestly feels pretty good. Only reason I still have Disney+ is because I'm paying very little thanks to Family Sharing. The second that is gone I'll be gone, too.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
I can't be the only millenial that hasn't sat through a commercial break since moving out of my parents' house (okay, other than when visiting parents). Going back sounds absolutely insufferable.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, this will be the end of prime for me. Would have cancelled before, but I have supported the same streamer with my prime sub for like 6 years now and figured thats a $5/month perk. But ads on top of my $140/yr membership? No way I'm going to support that practice.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Cable. You just described cable.

raise-eyebrow-sexy.gif

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
If I didn't have to constantly buy medical supplies for my mother in law I would have already dropped this shit so hard. Fuck y'all streamers, Hulu you're next.

I mean it's not like they are going to have a bunch of new content coming up anytime soon with the strikes soā€¦..wtf , you should be begging me to stay not pushing me away

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
soon, all the streaming services will have ads, no option to turn them off

and you'll be able to get the top 5 streamers all together, as a package, for one larger, monthly fee
classic-back-to-the-future.gif

I can't be the only millenial that hasn't sat through a commercial break since moving out of my parents' house (okay, other than when visiting parents). Going back sounds absolutely insufferable.
Youtube got away with it

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Really gotta do more monthly rotation based subbing instead of continuous or yearly at this point. Just like with my certain other subs.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
I don't even ever use prime video. I forget it even exists most of the time. $99 for prime shipping and doordash dashpass pays for itself though, so I'll still be subscribing most likely.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this is the final straw for me - already been reducing my use of Amazon given a ton of delivery issues recently and also the recent price increases and changes, but this is making me tell my parents I'm cancelling the sub when the yearly renewal is due in May.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I only pay prime video for $2.62. Quite cheap here in my country lol
but I only watch like small amount of shows and it's been more than 6 or 7 months since I used it

If they add any ads, I'll just cancel

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

it's available for countries outside of the US, specifically in the South East Asia region

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
And now adding Amazon Prime to the cancellation list which was set to re-up next month. I'm almost completely done with internet services thanks to endless and relentless enshittification across the board.

But that's how it goes. I can't afford to be nickled, dimed and have any worthwhile features diluted or upsold across every last tech service there is. The value isn't there, and the greed is never sated.

These tech companies can all go fuck themselves directly into the sun.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Let me just pay for Prime Shipping then. I still get two day, one day, and same day delivery plenty, so that's still worth it. But let me ditch the streaming if you're not bundling ad free for Prime users.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Is it too much of a hot take to say that streaming services were an unsustainable lie?Not the big miraculous answer to cable?

Oh they were, if that's what they were but for some reason they all decided to make $300 million feature films broken into 8 episodes and then immediately farting the whole thing out at once so they needed to do it every week to keep people on.

If they'd carried on spending what TV was they might have been ok but as soon as one does it everyone thinks they have to.

Let me just pay for Prime Shipping then. I still get two day, one day, and same day delivery plenty, so that's still worth it. But let me ditch the streaming if you're not bundling ad free for Prime users.

Yeah, in the UK I can barely think of a time I haven't got an in-stock prime item next day, so the shipping is worth it. But of course if they jack up the price to make me pay for the things that their own emails tell me they know I haven't used ever then I'll end up cancelling that too.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
And there goes my Prime Subscription.
These companies already make enough money I'm so tired of this shit.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Well I keep prime as long as it as cheap as it is here 3 euro is a steal. But it won't stay that I know.

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Amazon broke apart their services and let the consumer pick what they want. I just want to pay for the shipping, that is it. I do not need prime video, music, cloud storage, books, etc.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I was already looking for an excuse to drop Prime, as Video was the only cherry on the top making me keep it.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I'll still keep prime. I really don't care about Prime Video, I watch like two shows on it, maybe three, so I could care less if they add commercials.

Long term I could see me dropping prime but not because of video, but because of the shitty delivery service in the last few years. I can live without free shipping on every little thing... or save my Amazon orders until I hit $35 to get free shipping.

The funny thing about Prime video is it really is the worst. Video quality, sound quality, streaming stability... all horrible by comparison to the others. I use all these services on my phone on the train and prime is bleah.