Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best superhero movie of 2022.

I really liked it, probably even loved it. It's by far the best MCU film since.... Endgame probably.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'll watch it this weekend, thanks for the heads-up.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this movie. I had meant to see it again in theaters before it left them but never had the time, guess I'll have to settle for D+ then.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
For me, this was Black Panther's "Winter Soldier" in the sense that while the 1st movie was solid in setting up the world and characters (but nothing special), Wakanda Forever really succeeds in digging deeper into the previous themes (colonisation, racism, grief and hatred). And it also contains a killer villain in Namor, probably the best Phase 4 antagonist so far.

What a movie. The only criticisms I have are the the long run time (there are several scenes that could've been shortened) and the final battle between nations where everyone was fighting on the ship - lots of wonky background CGI and some weird edit cuts.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Good, even great movie until the last 30mins or so which I didn't care much for. Angela Bassett was the stand out with the best performance in all the MCU movies.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I know it was spelled out but, just to confirm, Namor is a mutant?

Also, enjoyed the visit to Talokan a lot, but by the final battle scene I could hardly care about the movie, it didn't help that it was Letitia basically as the main character. Also… final battle on a medium-sized ship? Really?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I honestly really didn't like this film. Black Panther was super enjoyable and a great film all around and I was really hoping they'd be able to deliver on that again despite the obvious major hurdles with Chadwick's death. But outside Namor, which was legit great more of him asap, I really did not enjoy any of the Wakanda related stuff in this. It just felt incredibly off.

Shuri was just painfully uninteresting and boring a character to serve as lead. Riri Williams was like why are you even here? She's a legitimately interesting character, this idea that some teenage girl built her own iron man suit out of scraps is really cool, but then she has zero development and almost no point at all for being in this movie other than to have created the vibranium detector at the start to create the conflict. And just everything that happens was just pretty dull. They were trying so hard to bank on the emotional loss angle and I just couldn't feel it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Not as much as the first one, I think, but it was pretty damn good. And very emotional... it kept making me miss Chadwick. Definitely the best of the latest batch of Marvel movies, for sure.

And yeah, M'Baku was one of my favorites from the first film (once you got to know him), and he's even better here.

And (also also) yeah, Angela Basset is still the queen. Nobody better to play that role.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bit in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever where Shuri tells her AI to hack into a '72 Plymouth and he takes remote control of it and that's when my brain broke. This movie is as good as anything in the MCU can be at this point, which is to say skillfully made with ideas on its mind and yet still fundamentally running on a deep, deep nonsense logic.

I enjoyed it more than I expected though. The Talokan people are incredible are amazing, just having them be like...human beings but blue instead of aliens or robots or something really grounds the mass battle scenes, the fact that you can look at the enemy and see a ton of faces of just human beings

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. It was a fun movie. I swear these Black Panther movies have the best villains in them out of the entire MCU. That being said, I do like the first film a lot more and some of it I found a little silly which I won't go into here for spoilers sake. They did do an excellent job at honoring Chadwick's memory.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Watched it, and I have to say, I'm not really a fan. It felt a bit too slapdash for me. Obviously they were working under some incredible constraints (the death of their lead, Letitia being a moron, covid in general), but it felt like a bunch of disparate parts all welded together and then given way too long of a running time.

Plus I was constantly boggled at the bizarre depth of field choices. Just nothing but sharp faces poking out of blurry everything-else.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Liked it, but much less than the first.

Putting it all in spoilers just to be careful.

Huerta was phenomenal as Namor, Bassett was incredible and the movie itself is bafflingly gorgeous. But Riri was an annoying comic relief exposition device with tired Marvel quips & wish.com Iron Man. And Wright lacks any sort of screen presence to carry a scene like Boseman could and you end up rooting for the villain instead because the movie is so much more boring in his absence. The steep contrast between fantastic and lackluster actors sharing the same scenes took me out of the movie many times. Elaine and Hobbit felt completely disconnected as well. The movie could also have used some tighter editing to avoid some pacing issues but like someone mentioned before they were ballsy to allow grief and silence to have their own space. Glad I watched it but don't really have the urge to watch it again even if I binged the first one so many times.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I know it was spelled out but, just to confirm, Namor is a mutant?

Also, enjoyed the visit to Talokan a lot, but by the final battle scene I could hardly care about the movie, it didn't help that it was Letitia basically as the main character. Also… final battle on a medium-sized ship? Really?
He literally says he's a mutant. The MCU's first use of the word "MUTANT".

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Only like the Chadwick tribute aspect of the movie and Namor.
Everything else is just meh for me.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I'm definitely more positive on it than most of you.

I could have a go at some of the humor, tech logistics, the weird depth of field shots, and Elaine ...

But overall I found this to be much stronger production in terms of acting, action and direction. It works so well as it's own thing, it kind of takes you out of it whenever there's that sparingly made greater MCU reference.

Namor spat game on a level I have never seen before.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I liked it quite a bit more than the first film. Chadwick's absence is definitely felt throughout the film and the runtime could have maybe been trimmed down a bit but almost everything else was great. I loved everything about Namor and Talokan, as a huge Namor fan it feels like a dream come true to finally see him on the big screen. His presence was imposing and his action scenes were impressive, the only thing this version of Namor lacked was the trademark horniness of the character. I kept waiting for him to put the moves on Shuri but I get it, the film had a generally somber tone due to Chadwick's passing and it would not have been appropriate.

I also found the complaints about Riri being 'shoehorned in' completely overblown. Her story works perfectly fine as the inciting incident for the film's major events and it is integrated well into the rest of the film. Overall, a really good MCU movie and a fantastic introduction to Namor.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
First film was much better

Chadwhick is severely missed. Overall though I haven't been huge into the MCU after endgame. It's All very meh

Movie was ok, glad I didn't blow the money to see it in theaters

Did letitia ever come out and apologize after all her bullshit statements?

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Just finally watched this last night.

Really weak movie but coming from the last Thor movie I was ok with it.

I liked Namor tho. And Basset of course.

ButtButt

Oct 30, 2017
As someone that doesn't follow Marvel I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, both Black Panther movies are probably near the top of my Marvel movies list. Infinitely better than the 2 hours of my life I wasted on the last Thor movie.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Glad I didn't watch this in the theaters but I didn't think it was bad. Quick thoughts:

- Way too long. At 1:45 I started checking the clock and couldn't believe there was almost an hour left. 2 hours 40 mins is perfectly fine for a movie but this one didn't pace well
- The Riri parts were a blatant, forced lead in to the D+ show but overall I didn't mind em. From the complaints I read, I expected her to be in it a lot more than she was. It was fine
- Last fight scene was meh and it was weird seeing everyone just stop fighting and be cool after watching so many of their friends die. Overall, most of them weren't particularly memorable. I kinda liked the smaller one on the freeway
- The Boseman stuff didn't land for me emotionally till the very last scene with Shuri on the beach
- Namor was a pretty good villain but I thought his origin flashback was kinda weak. Is his wing gonna grow back?
Overall, a solid 6.5 outta 10. Coogler was handled an impossible task and made the most of it.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
That was perhaps the best Marvel output from the post Endgame, but that's not saying much. Great Namor (and good for them for deviating from the classic bodybuilder physique), he was not butchered like they did Killmonger (and that's too bad considering the charisma the latter deployed on screen). Same average quality than the first. Much weaker lead but a better villain overall.

I can't bee too harsh anyway, it's the same "The Dark Knight Rises" problem, when death fucks all up and the directors must do what they can to adjust plans.

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird movie. Loved Namor, loved Bassett. The plot is barely there and makes the film feel interminable.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
There's a bit in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever where Shuri tells her AI to hack into a '72 Plymouth and he takes remote control of it and that's when my brain broke. This movie is as good as anything in the MCU can be at this point, which is to say skillfully made with ideas on its mind and yet still fundamentally running on a deep, deep nonsense logic.
This suddenly reminds me of a line in the movie I remember, which is Shuri telling her mom that "AI doesn't work like in the movies" when she's worried about AI. The entire reason Wakanda first came into the picture in the MCU was because a rogue AI bought Vibranium to destroy the world, but I guess that doesn't count or everybody just forgot about Ultron lol

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

The Wakandans use nanotechnology extensively even for unimportant things like putting on or removing a mask. Is it that much of a stretch to imagine that the AI sent some nanobots or those small fly-like bots to take over the car or something?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This suddenly reminds me of a line in the movie I remember, which is Shuri telling her mom that "AI doesn't work like in the movies" when she's worried about AI. The entire reason Wakanda first came into the picture in the MCU was because a rogue AI bought Vibranium to destroy the world, but I guess that doesn't count or everybody just forgot about Ultron lol

Ultron's AI was the embodiment of the Mind Stone, an object of immense power that doesn't exist anymore, it wasn't human made. AI has been a staple in the MCU since the very first film and we've never seen it go rogue. Shuri did a detailed examination of Vision in Infinity War so she most certainly knows the differences between a normal AI like the one she is using and a synthetic being created by an infinity stone.

edit: I apologize for the consecutive posts, I hit post instead of edit.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the movie was a bit of a mess but showed a big heart during the scenes that paid tribute to Boseman.

So still worth a watch. Wish it was more standalone.. the Martin Freeman scenes are baffling.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Thought the movie was a bit of a mess but showed a big heart during the scenes that paid tribute to Boseman.

So still worth a watch. Wish it was more standalone.. the Martin Freeman scenes are baffling.
MZYjCzkD0kpWIba0mgmFn8lAiov1SXu5_azjnQ10YO8.jpg

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The Wakandans use nanotechnology extensively even for unimportant things like putting on or removing a mask. Is it that much of a stretch to imagine that the AI sent some nanobots or those small fly-like bots to take over the car or something?
I mean sure, yes, you can explain this, they have nanobots that assemble into a remote controlled solenoid that depresses the accelerator or whatever, you can explain it but that's not how it feels on the screen. In that moment it just looks like "everything in the world can be hacked", like everything is running on video game logic. The idea that advanced technology means being able to arbitrarily manipulate the environment around you in any way as if the world is a computer interface is a very specific thing that I've seen pop-culture doing more and more of and I'm not a fan of it because it just ends up...making a lot of stuff feel smooth and boring?

Its why I actually ended up liking Namor a lot, the way he flies on his little ankle wings feels more grounded and physically embodied than I'm used to from these things and the
sequence where he attacks Wakanda and singlehandedly destroys a bunch of their airships
is the coolest action sequence in the film precisely because he doesn't move like any other character in the movie or the MCU

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
That scene with Okoye after the bridge is incredibly sad, but also hilarious

It's like did she scream because she was sad about Shuri or because she knew how fucked she was when she had to explain what happened to the Queen. And just having to tell that story, even though we saw it happened, it felt so exaggerated. "There was like 4 of them and I killed 3 of them, but then they all got up and they were all huge."

Yes.

And I say that as someone that likes the movie more than most of you apparently. That chase was awesome, but I can't defend the reach there. Ever since Infinity War "oh I'm using nanites and they can't just do anything", it's okay to push back a little.

Last edited:

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Honestly, I liked it quite a bit more than the first film. Chadwick's absence is definitely felt throughout the film and the runtime could have maybe been trimmed down a bit but almost everything else was great. I loved everything about Namor and Talokan, as a huge Namor fan it feels like a dream come true to finally see him on the big screen. His presence was imposing and his action scenes were impressive, the only thing this version of Namor lacked was the trademark horniness of the character. I kept waiting for him to put the moves on Shuri but I get it, the film had a generally somber tone due to Chadwick's passing and it would not have been appropriate.

I also found the complaints about Riri being 'shoehorned in' completely overblown. Her story works perfectly fine as the inciting incident for the film's major events and it is integrated well into the rest of the film. Overall, a really good MCU movie and a fantastic introduction to Namor.
I thought Namor was spitting game on Shuri throughout their entire interaction in the city.

I agree with you on Riri, it's just after a while her thing was just reactive comedy and 4 times out of 5 her jokes just didn't land. I think I said "oh shut up" after the herb scene with her because I was so into everything else that was going on.

Bengraven