• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't say that. It says "Our Blacks at Xbox community". Notice the capitalised letter. "Blacks at Xbox" is the name of the community.
This is how I saw it RE: All the "our blacks at Xbox" posts. As "Our [Blacks at Xbox]-community"

If they named themselves, I don't know how I could give them grief for that.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange because black people do not normally identify as "blacks," nor want to. If I was part of that group, I would not want to be referred to as part of "Blacks @ X". It is not silly; what is is your dismissal of the discomfort this term can generate within the community. They've chosen to identify with it, and that's fine. But that does not mean you can argue it should be acceptable to everyone within the black community at large.

This is just so ignorant I barely know how to respond, It doesn't matter what you'd want to be referred to as if you were a part of the group because you are not a part of the group.

Oct 27, 2017
"Blacks at Xbox" seems to be the official name of the community within Microsoft. If so, and the black members of said community have not changed the name and choose to embrace it instead, what's the problem? Seems bad to think the word "blacks" is automatically bad. It is like when I tell people, even on her Jews, that I am a Jew. I don't like the term Jewish person, I AM a Jew and no one gets to tell me otherwise because being a Jew is not a bad thing. A community of Jews is not a bad thing to say, so why should a community of black People, or blacks in this case, be regardless of how said community labels itself?

The world is a lot bigger than those 'blacks at x-box' though. It may be cool with them, but the rest of us are in a state of wtf.

Oct 25, 2017
Bit weird but I'm not getting mad about it.
I mean, if the group's name is 'Blacks at Xbox', then It's just awkward phrasing in the first tweet lol.

Though to clarify, as a black person myself I wouldn't self identify with "blacks", but I won't begrudge others doing so.
It just sounds..wrong. For me, anyway.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
This is supposed to be an outreach program, but some black folk Don't like the word no matter the contexts. Are we supposed to ignore them?
This. Saying "well the black folks in the company thought it up" doesn't mean people who take issue with it are wrong or something.

That said, actual communication is better than standing back shaking your head. The intention here was to be inclusive as possible, so feedback won't fall on deaf ears.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Blacks at Xbox is the group.
I actually went to their event this past week.

I'm a part of a blacks resource group in the tech company I'm at right now.
No issue with it from me.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible name even if it was named by black people. Not all black people think the same. Some may find it offensive.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I know what tongue-in-cheek means. Is the implication that the name Blacks at Xbox is somehow satirical? I don't get it.
Laugh to keep from crying.

Take something might normally disparage us and flip it.

Like there are black podcasts named "The Black Guy who Tips", "Where's my 40 acres?"", "So well spoken", "Two black guys with good credit", etc

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just so ignorant I barely know how to respond, It doesn't matter what you'd want to be referred to as if you were a part of the group because you are not a part of the group.
You are done right there. The whole point of calling themselves black is to show that xbox is diverse and does support inclusivity. This is something to make black people know that we do exist in the industry and are doing wonderful things.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
Why do people expect black people who are American to call themselves African American? I always find it weird especially since a lot of black people were just born in America and have american ancestry that goes back further than many others that just go by American. I've always preferred black instead of some random blanket African American unless of course you are an African immigrant.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There's an organization called 'Blacks in Gaming'. Filled with - and named by - black people. They've got talks and awards at GDC.

There's no group named 'Our Blacks at Xbox'. You made that up.
The tweet references a community named 'Blacks at Xbox'.
That's 100% my mistake as I searched the group to research and one article bolded the first for words of the sentence, along with the capitalization making me think that was the entire title.

Like I said it's a good initiative with a good message, people should check out the site.

I fucking hate that picture though. I don't care who drew it. We can call that an aesthetic opinion though.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
They can call themselves whatever the hell they want, it's their group and not any of ours. The same way that people love to call me African-American and I correct them every time and tell them to call me black. You can't be offended/put off/mad for someone else by something they created. If that's their title, you have literally 0 choice but to step the fuck back and move on(and preferably find something more important to care about).

You are done right there. The whole point of calling themselves black is to show that xbox is diverse and does support inclusivity. This is something to make black people know that we do exist in the industry and are doing wonderful things.

How is this taking away from that? I currently live in the Seattle area, and I was planning to move to Philly in a few months. This actually has raised awareness for me about what MS has going on there(I was moving partly because of the demographics here) and I'm going to check on them.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
...I'm black. Are you?
No, but I'm not a part of the Blacks at Xbox group either and cannot presume to know how or why they chose to identify themselves in that way, which is a situational and personal decision. I was responding to your comment that you were not a part of "that group" meaning the Blacks at Xbox group.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's an internal group at a certain company called "Black @ [Company]". They renamined it recently.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The world is a lot bigger than those 'blacks at x-box' though. It may be cool with them, but the rest of us are in a state of wtf.
This is supposed to be an outreach program, but some black folk Don't like the word no matter the contexts. Are we supposed to ignore them?
So it's similar to the N-word? Some black people use it, while some wish it would just go away entirely and not be uttered by any black people either.

Edit: Don't mean to imply that there's similar baggage and history to these words and that they would be equally offensive and hurtful.

Last edited:

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing wrong with this at all. I'm happy Microsoft allowed this.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I'm not a part of the Blacks at Xbox group either and cannot presume to know how or why they chose to identify themselves in that way, which is a situational and personal decision. I was responding to your comment that you were not a part of "that group" meaning the Blacks at Xbox group.
And, once again, I'm saying that it is their right to identify with that name, and that there is nothing wrong with it. I don't even know what you're trying to argue. That doesn't mean that black people identifying (without irony) with the term "blacks" isn't strange.

Kamo

Mar 4, 2019
And? Doesn't matter if they are fine with it, i don't like being called blacks. There are black dudes that don't mind white people saying nigger, there are black people fine with Trump. Not all black people think the same.

What? It's literally their opinion that matters here. And you are not being called blacks here, since you are not part of that group which decided to be called that.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ITT people are offended and made uncomfortable by a group of black individuals identifying themselves however they fucking want. The second you learn this is the name they chose you should say, "oh my bad, maybe I should reexamine my biases and assumptions that a black group may have been created and named without black agency, carry on" not double down on what YOU think they should have done instead. Your discomfort is nobody's problem but your own, Please! fuck off

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please explain this.

It's a pro-diversity group at Microsoft, endorsed by Microsoft.

I'm so baffled by this thread. I've always wanted to reject assessments of ResetEra as an outrage machine, but this doesn't make a good case.
I get it. Founded and ran by black people. But it points to a bigger issue that this is how they chose to name their group. If Xbox had made diversity a bigger initiative there wouldn't be a "Blacks at Xbox" it would be something more abstract and cultural. This is literally "hey we're black and we work at Xbox, that's unique enough".

I'm not outraged. I'm just pointing out the likely atmosphere of the corporation.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
ITT people are offended and made uncomfortable by a group of black individuals identifying themselves however they fucking want. The second you learn this is the name they chose you should say, "oh my bad, maybe I should reexamine my biases and assumptions that a black group may have been created and named without black agency, carry on" not double down on what YOU think they should have done instead. Your discomfort is nobody's problem but your own, Please! fuck off

No, this group that I've never heard of before this thread and will never think of again once it drops off the first page should cater to my personal desires.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I get it. Founded and ran by black people. But it points to a bigger issue that this is how they chose to name their group. If Xbox had made diversity a bigger initiative there wouldn't be a "Blacks at Xbox" it would be something more abstract and cultural. This is literally "hey we're black and we work at Xbox, that's unique enough".

I'm not outraged. I'm just pointing out the likely atmosphere of the corporation.
Or they could just not be that creative with names.....

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

As someone who was on an affinity board and knows many of the folks building these groups at a few companies this one included, it's not about making a homogenous group and saying yay affinity. It's about giving power to folks to not only own and represent their culture but recruit specifically to their culture and people and grow diversity at the companies. Don't worry, we all get together to put our multiorg events, but this is done so we're not lost in the sea of 'everyone is diverse' and 'all lives matter'

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Black Women and Men of Xbox"

Thats it. Its not that hard. Yall trippin lol

Nothjng personal to you vern just saying in general as an option to your post
But what about the non-binaries?

The reality is picking a name that's going to make EVERYONE happy is a tall order, and probably not feasible when it comes to a situation like this where you're identifying a specific minority group by what makes them part of that group.

The best name would probably be one that didn't refer to them by what makes them part of said group.

Status
Not open for further replies.