• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. Well one bad game out of dozens isn't that big of a deal. It's not like its yet another 70s or lower disappointment.

For Bend's first non-PS1 or handheld game I'd say it's a pretty good go. Hopefully this will be an Assassin's Creed 1 to Assassin's Creed II situation.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Their last game was a launch window title and because of it escaped many of the same criticisms this game had (open world sucked). If you can't see the parallels between GoT and Sekiro then I don't know what else to say.
It sounds like you're just making up excuses for why you didn't like Second Son as much as most people but to play along, why do you think those issues will still be present in GoT? Sucker Punch is a great studio who knows what they're doing and reviewers did criticise their game, they just didn't think those issues were that big of a deal.

Also please explain to me what are the parallels between GoT and Sekiro because other than Japan and swords, I don't see it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks like one of those bad games that people will treat like underrated gems in a year.

Like The Order

I like how you jump to The Order (a game that's 4 years old) and not the slew of other recent exclusives that have had similar treatment recently, and have worse metacritic averages to boot.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Since there's major issues with the story/writing (no shit) it can't really be fixed in a patch.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This is lower than I expected but probably closd to how I felt during the marketing campaign.

I don't know if I'll get it right know, I may use that money to buy a PS Classic before it cease to exist.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
What about having a logical/cautious outlook?

I think some of the expectations were just illogical and unrealistic - Sony studios don't have this magic pixy dust that automatically makes every exclusive great/amazing. They have nurtured and grown these studios over the years to get to the point of where some of them are today
I do think this is a real problem on forums, but thats what happens when games are exclusive; especially if its a first party studio.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck!! 40 hours??? That's ten hours after I'd prefer the game to have ended lol
Yeah, I figure 40 hours might be on the high end of things and you can get to the hordes faster if you speed through the game.....

But what does it matter? I was thinking that it should be something like 5 hours before the hordes show up......maybe 10 on the upper end of things. Whether it's 30 hours or 40 hours, that's way too long to put things off for. If the game is as uninspired as people say, I can't really see myself getting past 20 hours.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
What about having a logical/cautious outlook?

I think some of the expectations were just illogical and unrealistic - Sony studios don't have this magic pixy dust that automatically makes every exclusive great/amazing. They have nurtured and grown these studios over the years to get to the point of where some of them are today

I don't think it's really yours or anyone else's concern tbh. We're talking about a game where you kill zombies, not an investment portfolio. I'm sure you don't keep track or who is excited for what, so who really gives a shit if joe blow on resetera wants to make a days gone thread about the snow? I saw the thread with low interest for the game, showed my wife, we both thought it was cool and went about our business.

I guess I'm not really concerned about anyone's expectations and at some point, you're only generalizing anyhow. Maybe they're specifically excited for this particular game, who knows. If you thought it looked bad previously, then cool, but I don't think we need you or anyone else policing people's excitement for a game they like nor coming in solely to gloat as if they were personally invested into the situation.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I think, as per every other review thread, some are hellbent on focusing on predominantly the most scathing reviews, ignoring the more positive ones. There are 41 positive reviews, 24 mixed, and 2 negative, hence the aggregate is as it is, and not as awful as some are making out.
5/10 from Gamespot is more meaningful than a 9.5 from gamejizm.com.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
lol is it their fault the game is average? i dont think so man. let them enjoy what they enjoy.
It's not his fault the game is average, nor is it mine, as one of the people excited to play it.

We do, however, have to be mature about this and eat our crow. We were prepared to tell everyone else to, so it's only fair.

Dec 6, 2017
US
It's gonna sell like hot cakes no matter what I assume so there's that.

The game being a checklist pastiche of better titles' ideas and endlessly long will probably be a positive for most players outside of the enthusiast bubble.

Oct 27, 2017
I also think the delta between the highest rated ow games and the ones on the lower end has gotten way to big for me to give any two fucks about metacritic. I enjoy these thread even when taking the L though.
Botw had the same padding and collectible stuff most Ubi games get criticized for and the often praised sandbox is more fun in Just Cause4, but it's treated like second coming of Christ just because you have to put your markers manually on the map.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is fair if you like that. I personally havent cared about Walking Dead since probably season 3, and Im not a huge Zombie game fan either other than a select few, even when they were absurdly popular during the PS360 era. Its just one of those trends that have passed me by.
I watched it till Season 7. After that..... ugh. What happened?!
There are plenty of smaller sized teams that make much better games. Perhaps they should have gone for something smaller scale if they didn't have the man power?
They didn't want to. They started growing to become an AAA studio. And they are one now. That's what they want to do. And that's good.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably stings, but I doubt they're not proud of their work. Even if some aspects of it aren't good, it's definitely something for the studio to be proud of after biting off a massive undertaking for such a small studio who only worked on handheld games for like a decade. It's a good first effort in a series that hopefully they're given the opportunity to revisit. I wouldn't mind them looking at a smaller game next time if they're going to remain the size they are.

Quoted for truth.

oh, i still remember you. So.. can i call the game generic and bland now since many reviews do seem to agree? :)

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I like how you jump to The Order (a game that's 4 years old) and not the slew of other recent exclusives that have had similar treatment recently, and have worse metacritic averages to boot.
Such as? I mentioned the Order because we had a thread about it recently.
I guess it highlights how much credibility we give scores, it's almost as if a game that scores 60-70 can't be enjoyed the way some people talk.
Not really. I don't care about the number, the criticism are pretty big. Narrative is meh and it plays like shit, but people somehow will find a way to make it an underrated game because they where so hyped about it. I don't like the world but fanboys comes to mind.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
So the game is litteraly about as good as expected? Not bad but not particularly great either.

It's gonna sell like hot cakes no matter what I assume so there's that.

The game being a checklist pastiche of better titles' ideas and endlessly long will probably be a positive for most players outside of the enthusiast bubble.

Most likely. There's a very specific level of average quality that's somehow extremely marketable and guaranteed mass-market success (ie: things like Ghost Recon Wildlands and the like)

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
A game like Dying Light at the beginning of the generation and a game like Days Gone are two totally different animals though. Dying Light didn't have a lot of competition and was an exciting new IP with new ideas. Zombies as a premise were not as played out. When there are so many masterpieces on the market, a middle-of-the-road game like Days Gone just doesn't have the same appeal.

Destiny had a 72 Metacritic and went on to be the best-selling new IP of the generation......but if Bungie released something that mediocre today it would have been eaten alive.

Yeah that's fair enough argument to make, I remember buying Dying Light because it looked fantastic for the new consoles. Seems reviewed harsh though, Different times and all that. Now we have a ton of open world fetch quest types.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I have no idea why Sony greenlit a zombie game when the company's biggest flagship prestige title is already a zombie game.

Then again they kind of did this with Driveclub and Gran Turismo...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The reviews are so polarizing here I've literally no idea whether to get it or not

Do you like sprawling open world games?
Do you like Zombie games?

If so, then maybe you'll enjoy it.

Are you bored of open world games?
Do you find Zombie games uninspiring?

If yes then don't buy it.